PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X Lion and next?

cgjodas
Nov 1, 2010, 06:53 PM
I'm seeing a lot about Mac OS X Lion, but mainly the Mac App Store and Launchpad, so after Mac OS X Lion come IOS? Because it is very evident that Apple wants to change. What's your opinion about it?

Greetings!

andrei.barbuta
Nov 4, 2010, 04:41 AM
Lion will still be OS X, and the next OS after Lion, I don't know we'll just wait and see.
The way I see it is that Apple wants to make the Mac a truly production unit. For example I think they will prefer that when you sit on a mac then you work, developing programs, animation, web sites etc. and when you want to take a break and browse some web site read a book or some articles online you take your iPad.

My opinion is that OS X will not change at it's core but will change in terms of perception and it is a good thing. I always hated that I seem to not be able to concentrate when I stand on my desktop.
For example I start watching an episode of a tv series and after couple o minutes I switch from full screen to windowed and put it in the top right corner and then open the browser and check some web sites. It is this ease of which we can access distractions that Apple wants to change and only by perception not by functionality.
Because ultimately you will still be able to do that but if you want to truly concentrate on something you switch you browser to full screen and it's like you devoted to it completely. Still it's only a perception, not a limitation of functionality.

maflynn
Nov 4, 2010, 06:15 AM
so after Mac OS X Lion come IOS? Because it is very evident that Apple wants to change. What's your opinion about it?

Well, people are speculating on what 10.7 is going to be since its not even released to beta yet. To try to pin down apple on 10.u and beyond is like nailing jello to a tree at this point.

I say the general direction apple is taking is to focus on an app store for all of its product lines and since most already have it, that leaves the Mac. Will apple lock down 10.8 to force developers to use the app store - that's a matter of speculation and debate. Will apple continue the merging of iOS and OSX. Probably. Infact there was a rumor/news story out this summer where the executives and Jobs were keenly interested in merging the two lines, i.e., iOS desktop and iOS mobile. That still may happen. I understand that iOS is from OSX, but from a marketing perspective they'll want to brand it consistently.

bristleworm
Dec 10, 2010, 03:56 PM
I understand that iOS is from OSX, but from a marketing perspective they'll want to brand it consistently.

Well actually it already is branded consistently. There's iOS for the iDevices, and Mac OS for the Macs…

I think what Steve said at the Back to the Mac event is a good thing. There are plenty of great innovations in iOS from which MacOS could potentially benefit. But I'm sure the additions in Lion won't solely be innovations from iOS: instead, there will also be completely new features and ideas, which eventually will find their way to iOS.

For what it's worth: I don't see MacOS and iOS merging anytime soon.

BaldiMac
Dec 10, 2010, 04:04 PM
I don't think that merging makes any sense. Mac OS X is OS X with a user interface design for mouse (or trackpad) and keyboard input. iOS is OS X with a user interface designed for direct multitouch input.

Apple is already on record saying that multitouch screens on a laptop or desktop make little sense. I think we are a long way from dropping the mouse/trackpad as the primary input method on laptops or desktops.

goobot
Dec 11, 2010, 06:07 PM
Ya then we will sync our macs from windows. Last time i checked adding does not mean it will go backwards because the symbol for adding is + if you get my drift.

maflynn
Dec 16, 2010, 06:24 AM
Apple has a history of addition through subtraction, so I'd have to disagree with you there ;)

They take away a feature and say its even better without it.

Thunderbird
Dec 19, 2010, 04:30 PM
Not only that, they add redundant functions. How many different Finder views does one really need? And what does Launchpad do that the Dock doesn't already? And Mission Control seems no different than Expose. Being able to group minimized open windows will help, but Win 7 already does that automatically, you don't need to click, drag or swipe or keystroke anything. Steve likes to make you work for every little function.

I'm not expecting anything revolutionary or exciting in Lion.

Trakker
Dec 21, 2010, 03:21 PM
OS X shall still be the most advanced OS on the market - even past iOS.

Period.

Andeavor
Jan 27, 2011, 04:12 PM
OS X is here to stay. All they're doing in the next few years is improving it, making it the best all-in-one OS there is. Mission Control is supposed to be the first step in making the entire OS dynamic and accessible with simple swipes and gesture. Now, not everyone uses a trackpad (like me) but I can understand Apple's need for making OS X the most advanced and easy-to-use operating system out there. Compared to it, Windows 7 and probably Ubuntu looks messy and complicated due to relying heavily on third-party software.