PDA

View Full Version : Well done Sky MobileTV people

kevingaffney
Nov 2, 2010, 08:33 AM
Seven weeks since beta 1 of 4.2 appeared. Seven weeks to update app to work with it. Not a chance and probably like previous updates they will take another month at least. Pathetic

SHIFTLife
Nov 2, 2010, 01:46 PM
Seven weeks since beta 1 of 4.2 appeared. Seven weeks to update app to work with it. Not a chance and probably like previous updates they will take another month at least. Pathetic

Note the word above that I added emphasis to. 4.2 is still a beta product. You shouldn't be getting upset or poking fun at a company for not updating their app to work with 4.2, when 4.2 is only supposed to be in the hands of developers at this point.

Apple specifically states that you should not load 4.2 on your primary device, as it is incomplete, and sometimes buggy software, and other apps may not yet be compatible with it.

How did you get your hands on 4.2? Clearly you're not a developer, or you'd understand all of this. When it's been 7 weeks since 4.2 has been released to the public, I won't chide you for complaining at that point :D

kevingaffney
Nov 2, 2010, 04:19 PM
Note the word above that I added emphasis to. 4.2 is still a beta product. You shouldn't be getting upset or poking fun at a company for not updating their app to work with 4.2, when 4.2 is only supposed to be in the hands of developers at this point.

Apple specifically states that you should not load 4.2 on your primary device, as it is incomplete, and sometimes buggy software, and other apps may not yet be compatible with it.

How did you get your hands on 4.2? Clearly you're not a developer, or you'd understand all of this. When it's been 7 weeks since 4.2 has been released to the public, I won't chide you for complaining at that point :D
Wow you must be one hell of a nice person. Thanks a million for that contribution and btw every dog in the street can get their hands on 4.2

kwjohns
Nov 3, 2010, 09:49 AM
Wow you must be one hell of a nice person. Thanks a million for that contribution and btw every dog in the street can get their hands on 4.2

lol... He's right. Take your little pity party somewhere where people who don't understand the concept of a beta can sympathize for you.

kevingaffney
Nov 3, 2010, 10:15 AM
lol... He's right. Take your little pity party somewhere where people who don't understand the concept of a beta can sympathize for you.

Thank you also for your contribution. Some kids have no manners

anim8or
Nov 3, 2010, 10:27 AM

No really..... I think you should just let this one go...

I don't think ANY apps are compatible or have been updated to be compatible with 4.2 yet. Correct me if i am wrong as i have done no research, but i think once the OFFICIAL 4.2 is distributed to the public by apple, then you will see a plethora of apps showing updates for 4.2 compatibility.

As for your 'any dog on the street' comment.... millions of iOS device users will have no idea that the 4,2 GM even exists or what it is, never mind have the albeit simple knowledge on how to install it on their device.

JulianL
Nov 3, 2010, 10:58 AM

The others are right, you need to be willing to listen, learn more about how software development works, and let this one go.

Here's a perfectly possible scenario if a developer does release an update based on it working on the betas...

1) The developer downloads a beta and finds that their app is broken, or they want to use a new feature in the beta. They update their app, find that it works perfectly on beta <n>, and release it as an update.

2) Something in beta <n+1> or the GM changes, either because Apple broke something in the latest beta (a regression) or because there was a bug in beta <n> that resulted in something in the developer's app working and, now that bug has been fixed (maybe correctly checking the values of arguments to a particular function where it wasn't doing so before), and the app now breaks on the latest beta or, even worse, on the GM.

There really is a reason why most app developers are careful not to push out an app to the public that has only been tested against a moving target that hasn't stopped moving yet.

Disclaimer: I am a developer but not an iOS developer so my specific examples might not be directly applicable in the iOS world but I bet that some practicing iOS developers could come up with valid specific examples to support the general principles I'm trying to get across.

- Julian

shotts56
Nov 3, 2010, 12:32 PM
Where the OP does have a point is that previously Sky have been very slow to update their apps, to the extent that they rarely work at all when a new iOS is released.

I would not be surprised if on the day that iOS 4.2 is released to all, the Sky Mobile TV app breaks and it takes some time for Sky to push out an update which is compatible. They certainly have previous for that.

kevingaffney
Nov 3, 2010, 01:48 PM
Where the OP does have a point is that previously Sky have been very slow to update their apps, to the extent that they rarely work at all when a new iOS is released.

I would not be surprised if on the day that iOS 4.2 is released to all, the Sky Mobile TV app breaks and it takes some time for Sky to push out an update which is compatible. They certainly have previous for that.

Exactly the point i was making. This is no ordinary app, it cost 6.99 per month. On previous iphone 4.0 update, I was left with a non functioning app for about a month after the launch but was still charged. Just trying to save others from getting caught the same way. Other apps that were buggy a couple of weeks backhave been sorted at this stage.

mKTank
Nov 3, 2010, 07:18 PM
Exactly the point i was making. This is no ordinary app, it cost 6.99 per month. On previous iphone 4.0 update, I was left with a non functioning app for about a month after the launch but was still charged. Just trying to save others from getting caught the same way. Other apps that were buggy a couple of weeks backhave been sorted at this stage.

Who gives a crap. It's a beta app, it's entirely your fault that you are depending on it to run all apps well.

Basically, stop blaming anyone other than youself, you idiot.

kevingaffney
Nov 4, 2010, 11:33 AM
Who gives a crap. It's a beta app, it's entirely your fault that you are depending on it to run all apps well.

Basically, stop blaming anyone other than youself, you idiot.

Joined in July eh. Great to have such a wealth of knowledge like you on board. Keep up your record of sarcastic replies. Well done

Ciclismo
Nov 4, 2010, 09:03 PM
What do you expect from Sky? They have a very strong dominant market position (I'd almost go so far as to call it a pseudo-monopoly). They can move at any pace they want because they know that you have few alternatives. For every person annoyed enough to unsubscribe from their services, there's probably a dozen who sign up, so why would they care?

Case in point - here in NZ they still transmit many channels with pictures windowboxed or worse. It's not that hard to understand the perspectives used for shows/movies and that these must be transmitted in corresponding formats in order to avoid such mishaps, but only 2 channels have shown improvement over the last 12-18 months. If Sky has the same issues in Germany, they sure as heck can count me out when I move there. I'd rather pay the premium for downloading the shows off iTunes et al so that I can ensure I use all of my screen real-estate.

colmaclean
Nov 5, 2010, 04:39 AM
From the Sky Mobile TV app page on iTunes:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION - New OS 4.2 Release

PLEASE NOTE - we do NOT support the beta versions of the new OS 4.2. If you wish to watch Sky Mobile TV please do not download these beta versions - stay tuned for the next OS 4.2 compatible Sky Mobile TV update (1.4) which will be available once the official OS 4.2 has been released by Apple.

So your issue will be fixed at some point after the release of 4.2. Uncle Rupert to the rescue!

kevingaffney
Nov 5, 2010, 07:58 AM
From the Sky Mobile TV app page on iTunes:

So your issue will be fixed at some point after the release of 4.2. Uncle Rupert to the rescue!

Interestingly, that statement appears on app page. Not many users who already have the app will check there until after downloading 4.2. Hopefully Uncle Rupert will have update same day as 4.2 for those customers

kevingaffney
Nov 5, 2010, 03:18 PM
In fairness, SKY have now emailed their customers advising not to update to 4.2 this week until they bring out their next update. Fair play to them, I'm happy now

mgamber
Nov 5, 2010, 04:25 PM
FYI, last time I checked, which wasn't too long ago, developers are NOT allowed to submit apps based on a system still in development. If you wrote an app that doesn't work on a test iOS release and Apple doesn't fix the system so your app works, you're screwed until, at least, the day the system is released to the general public. If anyone should catch hell, it should be Apple because they don't allow developers to be proactive.