Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
I want to stay within Rower_CPU's guidelines, but I can't seem to get the search to work...this may be due to the Starbucks I'm in, though I can't think why. So here goes:

Computer: TiBook rev. A, 400MHz, 1GB RAM, 40 GB HD. HD is new (two or three months). RAM is ~ 1 yr old, third party.

OS: Problem persists under both 10.3.7 and a reinstall of 10.2.8 (!)

Software: No haxies of any description. Usual apps: Office, AW, iLife stuff. A few old games. Lots of documents. You get the idea.

Symptoms: TiBook hangs at random during use. Despite testing by waiting for several hours, it does not come back. First reboot thereafter does not work: process starts, but the little spinning grey circle-thing halts and degrades, with weird random pixels and swirls. I can't get a screenshot, obviously, as the computer is not then operative. Note that this happens EVERY time I try to wake the computer.

Actions taken: Reset the Open Firmware numerous times. No effect. Zapped the PRAM; ditto. Reinstalled OS, as noted above. Checked Firmware version is latest available. Repaired permissions; ditto.

Actions I could take (but don't want to if people here think they would be pointless!): Swap out the HD for an older one. Remove third party RAM.

Trouble is, the computer is old: 4 or 5 years iirc. I doubt if it'd be realistic to get it repaired. I checked, and a similar TiBook will get ~$700-800 on ebay. I'm sure repairs would be more. Applecare is not an option. I have Jaguar and Panther shrink wrap, but nowhere does there seem to be a hardware test app, as some other forums recommend. I don't know of any share/freeware apps that would hardware test.

I'd REALLY like to resurrect this; it was pretty much faultless for a long time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

:(

Update: Techtools lite shows nothing wrong. However, I booted into OS 9 last night and it has been fine ever since. How is this possible? If it is an OS X issue, surely there MUST be a connection to Hardware? Or else why would my recent fresh install of both Jaguar and Panther yield the same problems?

Sidenote: OS 9 is kinda horrible but it absolutely flies on a 400 MHz computer. I'd forgotten what it was like not to have to wait half an hour for things like window resizing.

Edited for dumbass formatting errors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.