Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CNNMoney.com reports that a new iOS application from Skyfire that converts Flash-based video to HTML5 has been approved by Apple and will go live in the App Store on Thursday. The app, which will be priced at $2.99, activates a function that allows Flash video content in the browser to be sent to Skyfire's servers, converted to HTML5, and sent back to the device for display.
The app won't translate games or other non-video content that runs in Flash, however. Still, Glueck estimates that the number of websites and videos that Skyfire will open up to iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch users is in the "millions."
As Apple has maintained its prohibition against Flash on the iOS platform, HTML5 has gained momentum, particularly in Web-based video. Even Adobe has demonstrated an early-stage tool for converting Flash projects to HTML5, looking to cater to developers attempting to create sites compatible with multiple platforms that do not always support Flash.

Article Link: Skyfire to Bring Flash Video to iOS Devices

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Wow! Interesting! I have a feeling this will sell simply as a tech demo.

oracle_ab

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Won't make a difference for me. I haven't missed Flash at all on my iPod touch.

Lutris

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
I hope their tech has improved in the last half year. I tried this on an android phone, it worked for only some of the content and didn't work with the audio-only content I tried.

I should give the android version another go, maybe they've improved in the mean time. Flash for android has some irritating limitations -- chief among them that it pauses when you change to another tab, app, or sleep the screen, making it useless for internet radio.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Sounds cool, but I won't be wasting my money on it. I honestly don't remember the last time there was a flash video that I wanted to watch on my iPhone or iPad. Most everything I see has been converted to html5 or I can use the YouTube app. The only time I kind of wish I had flash is when I visit a site that was developed entirely in flash for some reason. And that is rather rare.

iPhoney:)

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
Adobe's not gonna skirt the App store perimeters that easily, expect this to be taken down any day now.

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'll continue to use CloudBrowser when I have a rare need to see Flash content.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
+1. maybe if it was 99c I would get it just in case but only if I had a need for it at 2.99 which is why it's priced there I guess.

$2.99 pricing just seems like they're trying to cash in quick before it's pulled or something. Seems more like a 99¢ app. If it was 99¢, I might consider it just to see it work on my iPhone.

I know, $3 is only $3, but in the world of the App Store, 3 bucks is pricy.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Anyone who used skyfire on droid knows its worth. 3 bucks is NOTHING compared to how awesome it is.

It will replace my safari.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Hmm, haven't really missed Flash Video at all. Most videos just play on the iPad now. I guess there are still some sites that haven't upgraded to newer tech.

$3 is pretty cheap for any App. I hope they do well.

skillz1318

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
If this works with Hulu day 1 purchase for me! It's the only flash I would see myself using.

Poll Smoker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Adobe's not gonna skirt the App store perimeters that easily, expect this to be taken down any day now.

In the article it says Apple approved the App.

Are you ****ing retarded?

Or just too lazy to read the article before posting?

mysticbluebmw

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Ughhhh, could care less about flash video. That's all everyone talks about when discussing flash. I need flash to browse websites that use flash as part of the page content and can't otherwise be viewed. That's where Apple has dropped the ball.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Besides, the browser doesn't look like it's anything special. They'll have to replicate all of Atomic Browser's features and then some to get me to buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.