PDA

View Full Version : 11 or 13-inch MacBook Air

shootingrubber
Nov 2, 2010, 03:42 PM
I can't seem to decide which MacBook Air I want to order lol. I can't decide if I want the 11-inch with 4GB of RAM or the 13-inch with 4GB of RAM. I played with both in the Apple store and I really liked the form factor of the 11-inch. The 13-inch just seemed to big. Maybe that was because the 11-inch MacBook Air's were right beside it. I used to have a MacBook Pro 15-inch, so I don't know why the 13-inch Air's seemed so darn big. Although, my brain is telling me the 13-inch is more practical, but its also telling me to save the money. I guess what gets me is the $999 price point or $1089 with 4GB of RAM (I am in Canada, this is with the ED discount). However, I don't think 64GB is enough for me.

I'm kind of worried about the screen size of the 11-inch, but that's not my biggest concern. I love the size of the 11-inch MacBook Air and I think it would compliment my iMac quite nicely, but again, I think the 13-inch is more practical. What I am also worried about is the processing horsepower of the 11-inch Air. 1.4GHz seems measly when compared to today's standards. I mean if I up the machine to 1.6GHz and 4GB of RAM, the 13-inch with 4GB of RAM is essentially the same price. When the Air's were first launched I wanted the 11-inch. Partly because it was a new product and partly because of the price. I've been to the Apple store 4 times now playing with these things and I just can't figure it out lol.

I also like that the 13-inch has an SD card reader. I mean at one point I was set on the 13-inch model, but then I keep flip-flopping. This machine would be a secondary machine, and I would use it at school, while at my girlfriend's house, at a friends etc... Basically when I am not home I will need this Air. Now I am thinking that the 13-inch will be the way to go. Lol, I have never had this much trouble deciding on something before.

What do I do? 11-inch with 4GB of RAM and 1.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, or base 13-inch with 4GB of RAM?

wirelessmacuser
Nov 2, 2010, 03:56 PM
Sounds like you have quite a challenge on your hands... :)

I chose the 13" with 4GB ram, simply because I plan to use it for about 18 months, and I like a larger display.

The 11" is simply too small for me, yet perfect for many.

AT the end of the day only _you_ know what's best for your usage. Think usage and you will be fine.

vistokid
Nov 2, 2010, 04:00 PM
Welcome to my world... along with a number of others here. To me the 13" is the right way to go... that's what I bought in fact (2GB base though). But man I went to the Apple store again last night and I really want the 11". There's just something about it.

But when you do the math the 13" just makes sense.

Better resolution
Bigger screen
Sd slot
128 GB (to 64 GB for base 11")
Better battery life
Faster processor

For $300 that's a steal to me.

But I still want the 11". My Apple store said they'd waive the restocking fee if I change my mind... I still don't know what to do.

kp98077
Nov 2, 2010, 04:00 PM
I had the same dilema last week, ended up with the 11"--2g, 128 mg hard drive. love it so far and it doesnt seem too small and that was my biggest fear! On the plane its fabulous, firts perfectly. The 13 just seems way too big! big is out, small is in!

jw6961
Nov 2, 2010, 04:01 PM
I was in the same boat as you... I spent 2 days playing with both the 11 and 13 inch MBA. Although I really liked the form factor of the 11", I just couldn't get used to how small the screen was. I also couldn't quite get used to the 16:9 apect ratio on the 11" model. Plus, I noticed that most people using the 11" models were hunched over the table, and most people using the 13" models weren't...

For me, it came down to either getting a cute 11" model with 4GB of ram and a 1.6, or a 13" model with 1.8 and 4GB of ram, a higher resolution display & an SD card reader for the same price. I knew that after the first week or so, the novelty of the 11" machine would probably wear off and I'd be looking back wishing I had gotten a larger screen with better resolution, faster processor and SD card reader.

So, after much consideration and hours spent on both machines, I opted for the 13" with the 1.8 GHz and 4GB of ram. I ordered it online on 10/31 and just got the shipping notification this morning.

kp98077
Nov 2, 2010, 04:03 PM
I am not sure why folks who are torn dont try the small one first then if too small change up!!!

Welcome to my world... along with a number of others here. To me the 13" is the right way to go... that's what I bought in fact (2GB base though). But man I went to the Apple store again last night and I really want the 11". There's just something about it.

Better resolution
Bigger screen
Sd slot
Better battery life
Faster processor

But I still want the 11". My Apple store said they'd waive the restocking fee if I change my mind... I still don't know what to do.

shootingrubber
Nov 2, 2010, 04:04 PM

Better resolution
Bigger screen
Sd slot
Better battery life
Faster processor

Exactly what I am thinking. I mean logically the 13-inch makes sense, but every time I go to the Apple Store I end up eyeing the 11-inch the whole time... I can't make up my mind lol.

I was in the same boat as you... I spent 2 days playing with both the 11 and 13 inch MBA. Although I really liked the form factor of the 11", I just couldn't get used to how small the screen was. I also couldn't quite get used to the 16:9 apect ratio on the 11" model. Plus, I noticed that most people using the 11" models were hunched over the table, and most people using the 13" models weren't...

For me, it came down to either getting a cute 11" model with 4GB of ram and a 1.6, or a 13" model with 1.8 and 4GB of ram, a higher resolution display & an SD card reader for the same price. I knew that after the first week or so, the novelty of the 11" machine would probably wear off and I'd be looking back wishing I had gotten a larger screen with better resolution, faster processor and SD card reader.

So, after much consideration and hours spent on both machines, I opted for the 13" with the 1.8 GHz and 4GB of ram. I ordered it online on 10/31 and just got the shipping notification this morning.

You're right about that for sure. When I was using the 11-inch in store I was hunched over more-so than I was on the 13-inch. I think you're right about this one, for my needs anyways. I think I am going to go with the base 13-inch model with 4GB of RAM.

vistokid
Nov 2, 2010, 04:07 PM
Exactly what I am thinking. I mean logically the 13-inch makes sense, but every time I go to the Apple Store I end up eyeing the 11-inch the whole time... I can't make up my mind lol.

Yup. What's sick is that I'm now thinking of grabbing both... that's just plain stupid.

shootingrubber
Nov 2, 2010, 04:10 PM
Yup. What's sick is that I'm now thinking of grabbing both... that's just plain stupid.

Yes that's stupid I agree. One will definitely not be used in the long run. I mean at first you'll use them both, but then you will get used to only one and just stick with it. That's why I am trying to figure it out now before I purchase. I am leaning towards the base 13-inch model with 4GB of RAM right now.

Dammit Cubs
Nov 2, 2010, 04:11 PM
I personally...after getting the 1080p stuff fixed by using plex. I have no issues with the MBA 11 whatsoever. The small form factor brings you so many benefits if you are traveling. It is unreal. I just flew to vegas with it. Such a pleasant experience and then I sit on the bed, the way i have my legs set to hold it, it's nice.

Of course I would love the 13 inch, but the smaller feeling of the macbook air 11 was something that hards to deny.

From a spec standpoint, its not even close, 13 wins.

I went with the 11 Ultimate because it got a 94 vs 108 on speedmarks done by macbook. Figured thats good enough.

nfl46
Nov 2, 2010, 04:12 PM
I had the 11 inch at first, but I took it back for the 13 inch. The 11 look nice but it was frustrating me with the small screen. It looks nicer than the 13 inch but the 13 inch was the perfect size for me. I wanted to watch movies on my computer, so it was a better fit.

shootingrubber
Nov 2, 2010, 04:13 PM
I personally...after getting the 1080p stuff fixed by using plex. I have no issues with the MBA 11 whatsoever. The small form factor brings you so many benefits if you are traveling. It is unreal. I just flew to vegas with it. Such a pleasant experience and then I sit on the bed, the way i have my legs set to hold it, it's nice.

Of course I would love the 13 inch, but the smaller feeling of the macbook air 11 was something that hards to deny.

From a spec standpoint, its not even close, 13 wins.

I went with the 11 Ultimate because it got a 94 vs 108 on speedmarks done by macbook. Figured thats good enough.

AHHH.. lol. Now you have me thinking about the 11-inch again. But if I got the 11-inch I definitely would not get the ultimate configuration. I would probably just get the base model with 4GB of RAM.

I had the 11 inch at first, but I took it back for the 13 inch. The 11 look nice but it was frustrating me with the small screen. It looks nicer than the 13 inch but the 13 inch was the perfect size for me. I wanted to watch movies on my computer, so it was a better fit.

This... And since I am sometimes at school all day the 7-hour vs 5-hour battery can make a big difference.

kp98077
Nov 2, 2010, 04:18 PM
I have the 11" will get 13" too soon! one for me one for the wife :)

vistokid
Nov 2, 2010, 04:24 PM
This... And since I am sometimes at school all day the 7-hour vs 5-hour battery can make a big difference.

If you're going to be using it outside of home I would probably go with the 11". Another reason why I chose the 13" is because it won't leave the house all that much. Such a tough call. The 13" just looks so big compared the 11".

Funny I used to have a 13" MBP and never found it large... now I look at my 13" MBA and it seems big. HAHA.

shootingrubber
Nov 2, 2010, 04:41 PM
If you're going to be using it outside of home I would probably go with the 11". Another reason why I chose the 13" is because it won't leave the house all that much. Such a tough call. The 13" just looks so big compared the 11".

Funny I used to have a 13" MBP and never found it large... now I look at my 13" MBA and it seems big. HAHA.

But the 13-inch is still an extremely portable machine compared to the 15-inch MacBook Pro that I was lugging to school every day. I see what you're saying though. I still think I'm leaning towards the 13-inch.

bowlerman625
Nov 2, 2010, 04:43 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I was going to get the 13 until I saw the 11 and got a chance to use it. For me it was the form factor and increased performance over my rev C that convinced me! I love it!

dannyar
Nov 2, 2010, 04:46 PM
Go ultimate 11.6. Cant go wrong.

shootingrubber
Nov 2, 2010, 04:46 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I was going to get the 13 until I saw the 11 and got a chance to use it. For me it was the form factor and increased performance over my rev C that convinced me! I love it!

Damn lol. Now I am leaning towards the 11 again. The base 64GB model with 4GB of RAM. Anybody recommend any good sleeves for the 11-inch MacBook Air?

Ultimate? Why lol. I was hoping to save a lot by getting the base model with 4GB of RAM. If I go ultimate it doesn't seem worth it anymore IMO because you can get the 13-inch for the same price.

bowlerman625
Nov 2, 2010, 04:51 PM

Damn lol. Now I am leaning towards the 11 again. The base 64GB model with 4GB of RAM. Anybody recommend any good sleeves for the 11-inch MacBook Air?

Ultimate? Why lol. I was hoping to save a lot by getting the base model with 4GB of RAM. If I go ultimate it doesn't seem worth it anymore IMO because you can get the 13-inch for the same price.

You'll be fine with either! Just do it before you bail on the decision!

dannyar
Nov 2, 2010, 04:54 PM
64gb is to little. itss 48 after formatted drive and OSX and ilife preinstalled. 4gb is neccessity and 90 for 1.6 is no brainer

badboy600
Nov 2, 2010, 04:56 PM
My favorite laptop ever was the 11.1" vaio TZ. Finally there is a mac equal to that. The choice was a no-brainer for me.

gloryunited
Nov 2, 2010, 04:59 PM
64gb is to little. itss 48 after formatted drive and OSX and ilife preinstalled. 4gb is neccessity and 90 for 1.6 is no brainer

I too think 64GB is too little. If it is used as a primary computer, then 128GB is minimum I think. If however it acts as a secondary computer, then the $999 base model seems a great deal.

shootingrubber
Nov 2, 2010, 05:05 PM
I too think 64GB is too little. If it is used as a primary computer, then 128GB is minimum I think. If however it acts as a secondary computer, then the $999 base model seems a great deal.

Yes, this would be a secondary computer. Second to my iMac. I would reinstall the OS though when I got it to only install iPhoto and iMovie, and I would only install some languages, bringing up the storage to about 52-53GB. I still may go for the 128GB, but now I am back to the 11-inch lol.

fyrefly
Nov 2, 2010, 05:08 PM
But the 13-inch is still an extremely portable machine compared to the 15-inch MacBook Pro that I was lugging to school every day. I see what you're saying though. I still think I'm leaning towards the 13-inch.

The 13" MBA will be pretty much *1/2* the weight of your 15" MBP. (2.9lbs vs. 5.6lbs) Don't let the smaller 11" fool you, the 13" is still a svelte little machine.

I bought an 11" coming from a 13" revB MBA, but after spending an afternoon hunched over it working, I returned it to the Apple Store. I found working on the 11" cramped, and everything on the screen was SO SMALL. Now contemplating skipping this revision all together in protest over the Blacklit keyboard omission.

But seriously, I think if you're taking the machine back and forth all day with you - you'll need the battery life (7+ hours) of the 13".

TheMadBrewer
Nov 2, 2010, 05:10 PM
Here is my two cents and why I ordered the 11 incher...

I have an original MBA. It is my traveling computer and it's done a great job. But I am trying to travel lighter -- doing some bicycle touring and have a cross Europe trip coming up in 2012 (was supposed to be next year but got delayed) So smaller is better...

I just got back from a three week European beer trip where I left my MBA at home and took my iPad and Apple wireless keyboard instead. It actually worked pretty well -- and would be even better with iOS 4 (i.e. "multitasking") -- but when it didn't work, it was a big pain. I ended up using Remote Desktop to connect to a client's server and going from there -- it worked but it was painful.

The smaller form factor and lighter weight just did it for me. In cases where size/weight doesn't matter I can still take the old MBA (that is assuming She Who Must Be Obeyed doesn't commandeer it for Herself).

Of course this doesn't apply to everybody. and I have to admit, the coolness factor of a "Baby Mac" is a factor :)

shootingrubber
Nov 2, 2010, 05:11 PM
The 13" MBA will be pretty much *1/2* the weight of your 15" MBP. (2.9lbs vs. 5.6lbs) Don't let the smaller 11" fool you, the 13" is still a svelte little machine.

I bought an 11" coming from a 13" revB MBA, but after spending an afternoon hunched over it working, I returned it to the Apple Store. I found working on the 11" cramped, and everything on the screen was SO SMALL. Now contemplating skipping this revision all together in protest over the Blacklit keyboard omission.

But seriously, I think if you're taking the machine back and forth all day with you - you'll need the battery life (7+ hours) of the 13".

Yeah, the 13-inch seems like the practical choice. There's just something about the 11-inch though lol. I am going back to look at them today. The backlit keyboard omission doesn't bother me in the least. I was really excited when my MacBook Pro had that, but I haven't used it in the longest time.

teerexx52
Nov 2, 2010, 05:24 PM
I am in the same boat as many of you. I am coming from a 15" MacBook Pro. I have two MacBook Airs here with me and one has to go back to the store. Just can't decide. I have an 11" Ultimate and a 13" base model with 2gb ram. I have spent 3 days on both. I tired and tried to get the 13" with 2 GB of ram to choke but could not do it. Machine handled all I could throw at it. This will be my only computer and I have my iphone. Anyone want to offer and advice on which one I should keep? I keep thinking the 13" but then my eyes wander back to the 11:)

shootingrubber
Nov 2, 2010, 05:33 PM
I am in the same boat as many of you. I am coming from a 15" MacBook Pro. I have two MacBook Airs here with me and one has to go back to the store. Just can't decide. I have an 11" Ultimate and a 13" base model with 2gb ram. I have spent 3 days on both. I tired and tried to get the 13" with 2 GB of ram to choke but could not do it. Machine handled all I could throw at it. This will be my only computer and I have my iphone. Anyone want to offer and advice on which one I should keep? I keep thinking the 13" but then my eyes wander back to the 11:)

That's the same with me lol. You say 2GB seems to be enough with the 13-inch? I still think I will put 4GB of RAM in it, but I keep thinking 13 as well. Then I am right back at the 11. Can't figure it out. Going back to the Apple store soon and will come back with my findings afterwards.

dannyar
Nov 2, 2010, 05:46 PM
if your stuck between base 13 and ultimate 11, choice should be ultimate 11. Just think of it this way, which is what convinced me. Would you rather spend 1000 on something thats the base model and always wonder what if i had got the faster better model to extend the life, or spend the extra 200-300 and get it maxed out and make up that money somewhere else. Sell some things, dont go out this weekend, dont eat out this week etc, and have the best money can buy with no regrets and doubts as to what ifs and should i have and extend the life of the computer an extra 2-3 years just by doubling the ram and capacity.

iRun26.2
Nov 2, 2010, 05:51 PM

I fell in love with the 11" the first I saw it. After using it at the store (several trips) I realized that it really is a big improvement over my original MBA. Once I determined that I would be perfectly fine with the screen (beautiful!), I knew it was the way to go. It is so compact, yet still more than capable!

teerexx52
Nov 2, 2010, 05:53 PM
That's the same with me lol. You say 2GB seems to be enough with the 13-inch? I still think I will put 4GB of RAM in it, but I keep thinking 13 as well. Then I am right back at the 11. Can't figure it out. Going back to the Apple store soon and will come back with my findings afterwards.

Yeah. I had about 10 programs opened and processing a video in Aperture. Itunes playing as well. Not a hiccup

I fell in love with the 11" the first I saw it. After using it at the store (several trips) I realized that it really is a big improvement over my original MBA. Once I determined that I would be perfectly fine with the screen (beautiful!), I knew it was the way to go. It is so compact, yet still more than capable!

Agreed:)

MACfemme
Nov 2, 2010, 07:02 PM
I bought the ultimate 11 as well, I really can't handle the small screen size...I'm not doing that to my poor eyes over a 'cute' machine. I'm taking it back for the 13. I did travel with it, and if you're always flying...11 is the way to go! But this will be my primary computer, and know that I was only fooling myself by getting the 11.

vistokid
Nov 2, 2010, 07:08 PM
Yeah. I had about 10 programs opened and processing a video in Aperture. Itunes playing as well. Not a hiccup

Agreed. I came from a 13" MBP with 4GB and the base 13" with 2GB performs better. A lot of people who are saying 4GB is a must are people who haven't even tried the new MBA. My 2 cents.

ReallyBigFeet
Nov 2, 2010, 07:13 PM
I didn't want another netbook so I went with the 13" MBA maxed out instead.

teerexx52
Nov 2, 2010, 07:22 PM
Agreed. I came from a 13" MBP with 4GB and the base 13" with 2GB performs better. A lot of people who are saying 4GB is a must are people who haven't even tried the new MBA. My 2 cents.

Yes, it shouldn't work the way it does with 2gb but it does

Dammit Cubs
Nov 2, 2010, 07:33 PM
AHHH.. lol. Now you have me thinking about the 11-inch again. But if I got the 11-inch I definitely would not get the ultimate configuration. I would probably just get the base model with 4GB of RAM.

basically it comes down to this. For people who had 11's and got 13's because of cramped space or something related to small, there is a certain point where using a smaller computer like an 11 inch isn't good enough. It's a light computer meant for light work. It makes sense. I'm not expecting to sit at a table and work for hours upon hours on an 11 inch screen.

I got the 11 inch screen because 1) it's freaking hot. 2) because I like to pack light. I want quick full computing capability in a small footprint without losing what I love and that is OSX

I'm coming from a macbook 1280 x 800 or whatever resolution so this is actually a boost up. Do I wish apple made it corner to corner...YES!!!! or if anything...should could of made it an even 12 in.

This is my second computer. When I go home, i expect to use my other computer on a big monitor. I'll only use this at work next to my computer and I will use it for 20-30 minute segments at a time.

Plus I'm asian. I don't have ridiculous monster hands. So everything fits just right.

CatKingK
Nov 2, 2010, 07:54 PM
I love the 11" MBA because it is very sexy,entertaining, mobile and have the advantages that iPad doesn't have.
I finally go for the 13" because it has the advantages that the 11" doesn't have though not as mobile.
For the 11", you probably may need another Mac for your work.

Regaj
Nov 2, 2010, 07:55 PM
Ubiquity.

A week ago I expected to pass on the recently-announced MBA's altogether. Really cool machines. But I had bought a maxed-out mid-2009 MBA (13" (of course!), 2.13ghz, 2mb, 128 SSD) just last summer - and that would have to serve for another couple years.

But then the reviews of both the new models began coming in, and were all extremely positive. Hmm.

And then I saw the 11". Wow. The form factor - hardly larger than my iPad - seemed incredibly compelling.

And that is the key to me. I have a 15" MBP as my primary machine - a machine that is certainly portable when I need it to be. But the notion of suddenly having a computer small and light enough to carry literally... everywhere... is the killer feature here.

After four days, I can't say enough about it. Its performance is far beyond what its raw specs would suggest.

It's quickly becoming the best computer platform I have ever used...

shootingrubber
Nov 2, 2010, 08:17 PM

I think I have finally decided. I looked at the 11 and 13-inch MacBook Air once again at the Apple store. I brought the gf along with me as well so she could help me out lol. Anyways, I think I have decided on the 13-inch base MacBook Air, while she wants the base 11-inch MacBook Air.

teerexx52
Nov 2, 2010, 08:19 PM

I think I have finally decided. I looked at the 11 and 13-inch MacBook Air once again at the Apple store. I brought the gf along with me as well so she could help me out lol. Anyways, I think I have decided on the 13-inch base MacBook Air, while she wants the base 11-inch MacBook Air.

Did you buy it yet?

shootingrubber
Nov 2, 2010, 08:21 PM

Did you buy it yet?

Tomorrow I am purchasing it.

teerexx52
Nov 2, 2010, 08:24 PM

Tomorrow I am purchasing it.

Well, now if I could decide. My wife has the 11.6 and keeps telling me to go with that one. But I keep picking up the base 13......geezzzzzzz:eek:

highscheme
Nov 2, 2010, 09:02 PM
I didn't like the old Airs at all. I have zero interest in the new 13" Air now.

The 11" Air is the business

Dammit Cubs
Nov 2, 2010, 09:07 PM
is 11 bad for your eyes?

It seems like its the same DPI (or close) to the 13 so the text look about the same size. It's just real estate is more.

teerexx52
Nov 2, 2010, 09:09 PM
is 11 bad for your eyes?

It seems like its the same DPI (or close) to the 13 so the text look about the same size. It's just real estate is more.

True. Seems exactly that way

Maven1975
Nov 3, 2010, 01:34 AM
is 11 bad for your eyes?

I have had the 11 for awhile now and my eyes have been tired daily. I am in my mid 30's and have had lasik surgery. Now, I am still young, but I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and get the 13. :(

I love the form factor of the 11! Unfortunately even with brightness tweaks and color adjustments, I just cant seem to make it comfortable for daily use.

bcaslis
Nov 3, 2010, 01:40 AM
I have had the 11 for awhile now and my eyes have been tired daily. I am in my mid 30's and have had lasik surgery. Now, I am still young, but I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and get the 13. :(

I love the form factor of the 11! Unfortunately even with brightness tweaks and color adjustments, I just cant seem to make it comfortable for daily use.

I have the 13" and was looking at the 11" at the store again today. I could be wrong but I think the pixel size on the 13" and 11" is basically the same, just the 13" has more pixels. So I don't think the 13 is going to be a lot of help unless you change the resolution or zoom fonts.

Boy, that 11" is really cute. I got the 13" because back when I had a rev A (and then sold it), I felt that I really want more pixels, more storage, and a bit better speed in the MBA. The new 13" delivered all that. So my head says stay with the 13", but when I play with the 11" my heart that it's just too cool!

Maven1975
Nov 3, 2010, 02:25 AM
I have the 13" and was looking at the 11" at the store again today. I could be wrong but I think the pixel size on the 13" and 11" is basically the same, just the 13" has more pixels. So I don't think the 13 is going to be a lot of help unless you change the resolution or zoom fonts.

Boy, that 11" is really cute. I got the 13" because back when I had a rev A (and then sold it), I felt that I really want more pixels, more storage, and a bit better speed in the MBA. The new 13" delivered all that. So my head says stay with the 13", but when I play with the 11" my heart that it's just too cool!

That may be the case. I just feel now that im back using my MBP 13 at home, my eyes dont have to focus as hard. I feel ike my eyes can wander a little more without needing to look at a more narrow/smaller window.

:(

Cerano
Nov 3, 2010, 02:44 AM
to be honest 11.6" is already pretty big to me coming from a vaio P that is only 8" big.

shootingrubber
Nov 3, 2010, 12:24 PM

Ok, do I really need 4GB of RAM? Or will I be ok with just 2GB? I think 2 would be enough for me, but what do you think?

teerexx52
Nov 3, 2010, 12:41 PM

Ok, do I really need 4GB of RAM? Or will I be ok with just 2GB? I think 2 would be enough for me, but what do you think?

It depends on what you use it for. I used Aperture, iphoto, imovie and had no problem with 2gb

Tasc
Nov 3, 2010, 12:50 PM
is 11 bad for your eyes?

So here's the rundown on the DPIs for the various screens:

MBA 11.6" (1366) = 135.09 PPI, 0.188mm dot pitch, 18250 PPIČ
MBA 13.3" (1440) = 127.68 PPI, 0.1989mm dot pitch, 16302 PPIČ
MBP 13.3" (1280) = 113.49 PPI, 0.2238mm dot pitch, 12880 PPIČ

So there is a difference in PPI in the 11" and the 13" (with the 11" pixels being smaller). I've thrown the old 13.3" 1280 resolution in there for comparison to what we've been used to in the past.

You can run additional numbers here:
http://members.ping.de/~sven/dpi.html

teerexx52
Nov 3, 2010, 12:52 PM
So here's the rundown on the DPIs for the various screens:

MBA 11.6" (1366) = 135.09 PPI, 0.188mm dot pitch, 18250 PPIČ
MBA 13.3" (1440) = 127.68 PPI, 0.1989mm dot pitch, 16302 PPIČ
MBP 13.3" (1280) = 113.49 PPI, 0.2238mm dot pitch, 12880 PPIČ

So there is a difference in PPI in the 11" and the 13" (with the 11" pixels being smaller). I've thrown the old 13.3" 1280 resolution in there for comparison to what we've been used to in the past.

You can run additional numbers here:
http://members.ping.de/~sven/dpi.html

Soooo, essentially this would mean that the 11.6 would be no harder to read than the 13"?

Tasc
Nov 3, 2010, 01:05 PM
Soooo, essentially this would mean that the 11.6 would be no harder to read than the 13"?

The dot pitch on the 11" is about 6% smaller than the new 13".

By comparison, the dot pitch on the new 13" MBA is about 11% smaller then the original 13".

Whether something is harder to read when it is 6% smaller is probably going to be an individual question.

Granted 6% does not sound like much. But 11% doesn't sound like much either, and I bet everyone notices a difference between a 13" 1440 screen and a 13" 1280 screen.

teerexx52
Nov 3, 2010, 01:11 PM
The dot pitch on the 11" is about 6% smaller than the new 13".

By comparison, the dot pitch on the new 13" MBA is about 11% smaller then the original 13".

Whether something is harder to read when it is 6% smaller is probably going to be an individual question.

Granted 6% does not sound like much. But 11% doesn't sound like much either, and I bet everyone notices a difference between a 13" 1440 screen and a 13" 1280 screen.

Very hard to tell. I have a 13" and 11.6 still here and the only real thing I'm concerned about before I return one is my vision. My wife says the 13" screen is bigger but things are about the same size to read so what you say supports this

shootingrubber
Nov 3, 2010, 02:22 PM
Very hard to tell. I have a 13" and 11.6 still here and the only real thing I'm concerned about before I return one is my vision. My wife says the 13" screen is bigger but things are about the same size to read so what you say supports this

Have you decided on yours yet? Everytime I go to the Apple store I can never be certain about the 13-inch. Maybe I should just go for the 11-inch. Do you have the ultimate 11?

teerexx52
Nov 3, 2010, 02:24 PM
Have you decided on yours yet? Everytime I go to the Apple store I can never be certain about the 13-inch. Maybe I should just go for the 11-inch. Do you have the ultimate 11?

I am sitting here right now with both the 11" ultimate and the 13" base side by side pondering:) Can I answer any questions. I have till Friday to take one back:)

shootingrubber
Nov 3, 2010, 02:29 PM
I am sitting here right now with both the 11" ultimate and the 13" base side by side pondering:) Can I answer any questions. I have till Friday to take one back:)

Basically I am either going base 13-inch or base 11-inch with 4GB of RAM. I have to be able to use one for a couple days to be able to make a clear choice lol. Which one are you leaning towards right now?

teerexx52
Nov 3, 2010, 02:42 PM
Basically I am either going base 13-inch or base 11-inch with 4GB of RAM. I have to be able to use one for a couple days to be able to make a clear choice lol. Which one are you leaning towards right now?

Leaning right then leaning left if you know what I mean. Each offers advantages and disadvantages. As you know on the boards here some folks have very strong opinions about things like ram and such. What I did is spend 5 days on and off with both. My first concern was the 2GBs ram in the base 13" vs the 4GB ram in the 11.6" ultimate. I tried everything I could to make the 13" choke with 2GB of ram and I mean everything. I even used Aperture and processed video. The 13" didn't give an inch. So I cannot see any advantage the 11.6 has because it has 4GBs of ram. Now this idea of future proofing I discount as that has never worked for me. So the two are equal as far as performance to me. The 13" has better speakers, SD card slot, faster processor. Maybe some or none of those are important to you. Because we go to Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks and such portability is important to me. I have taken both models. Obviously the 11.6 has much smaller foot print and is easy to take around but the 13" is not a lug either. However, advantage 11.6. I like typing on the 11.6 better because the wrist rest area is smaller. The last and most important thing is my old tired eyes. Can I see the 11.6 clearly without eye strain. The answer seems to be yes.

So, after all that it is pretty much an even horse race with me leaning just a bit to the 11.6". Why? Because it is a totally different machine from what Apple has done before and just has a certain "cool" factor. Does any of this help you??

shootingrubber
Nov 3, 2010, 02:51 PM
Leaning right then leaning left if you know what I mean. Each offers advantages and disadvantages. As you know on the boards here some folks have very strong opinions about things like ram and such. What I did is spend 5 days on and off with both. My first concern was the 2GBs ram in the base 13" vs the 4GB ram in the 11.6" ultimate. I tried everything I could to make the 13" choke with 2GB of ram and I mean everything. I even used Aperture and processed video. The 13" didn't give an inch. So I cannot see any advantage the 11.6 has because it has 4GBs of ram. Now this idea of future proofing I discount as that has never worked for me. So the two are equal as far as performance to me. The 13" has better speakers, SD card slot, faster processor. Maybe some or none of those are important to you. Because we go to Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks and such portability is important to me. I have taken both models. Obviously the 11.6 has much smaller foot print and is easy to take around but the 13" is not a lug either. However, advantage 11.6. I like typing on the 11.6 better because the wrist rest area is smaller. The last and most important thing is my old tired eyes. Can I see the 11.6 clearly without eye strain. The answer seems to be yes.

So, after all that it is pretty much an even horse race with me leaning just a bit to the 11.6". Why? Because it is a totally different machine from what Apple has done before and just has a certain "cool" factor. Does any of this help you??

Helps me a bit. It's good to know that 2 GB seems to be enough for the machine though. It's funny I actually prefer the larger wrist rest area for typing. I also like that the 13-inch has better battery life and has an SD card reader. Although I do like all of these things about the 13-inch I like the portability of the 11". I mean, logically, the 13" seems like a no-brainer. I guess I like the $999 price point of the 11" lol.

Maven1975
Nov 3, 2010, 02:51 PM

I am in the same situation. I love the footprint of the 11, but the 13 is easier on my eyes. I don't know exactly what it is about the 11, but I do suffer from eye strain.

I have the maxed 11 and would only do the maxed 13. In this situation, the 13 slaughters the 11 except for the footprint. (The most addicting part)

Also, I did some battery life testing with video on the 11. It was only able to run 2:34 minutes of video from full charge. This is with content purchased through the itunes store. Perhaps the battery life on the 13 would be more beneficial after all.

Argh!

teerexx52
Nov 3, 2010, 02:54 PM
Helps me a bit. It's good to know that 2 GB seems to be enough for the machine though. It's funny I actually prefer the larger wrist rest area for typing. I also like that the 13-inch has better battery life and has an SD card reader. Although I do like all of these things about the 13-inch I like the portability of the 11". I mean, logically, the 13" seems like a no-brainer. I guess I like the $999 price point of the 11" lol.

Yes, I forgot battery life but I never seem to get close to running it down so I kind of forgot about it. My wife says you can't get a 13" with an 11.6 footprint. She's right

teerexx52
Nov 3, 2010, 02:57 PM
I am in the same situation. I love the footprint of the 11, but the 13 is easier on my eyes. I don't know exactly what it is about the 11, but I do suffer from eye strain.

I have the maxed 11 and would only do the maxed 13. In this situation, the 13 slaughters the 11 except for the footprint. (The most addicting part)

Also, I did some battery life testing with video on the 11. It was only able to run 2:34 minutes of video from full charge. This is with content purchased through the itunes store. Perhaps the battery life on the 13 would be more beneficial after all.

Argh!
Agreed. I'm not suffering any eye strain at least i don't think so. Trying to make sure I am not subconsciously hunching over. I don't want to spend the difference between a maxed 11.6 $1399 and the maxed 13.3 $1799 + tax if I can avoid it:) So for me I would use a base 13" which is $100 cheaper than the maxed 11.6. I'm confused:)

shootingrubber
Nov 3, 2010, 02:57 PM
Yes, I forgot battery life but I never seem to get close to running it down so I kind of forgot about it. My wife says you can't get a 13" with an 11.6 footprint. She's right

lol, she is right. The only reason why I am still considering the 11" is the size. I mean the 13" is better in every single way and it's still a rediculously portable machine.

teerexx52
Nov 3, 2010, 02:59 PM
lol, she is right. The only reason why I am still considering the 11" is the size. I mean the 13" is better in every single way and it's still a rediculously portable machine.

So, there are like a dozen reasons to take the 13" over the 11" and only one to take the 11" over the 13" and can't make up my mind? Right? Hmmmmm:D So the obvious answer is take the 11":)

shootingrubber
Nov 3, 2010, 03:01 PM
So, there are like a dozen reasons to take the 13" over the 11" and only one to take the 11" over the 13" and can't make up my mind? Right? Hmmmmm:D So the obvious answer is take the 11":)

lol the obvious one is the 13", that's why I am leaning towards it.

teerexx52
Nov 3, 2010, 03:04 PM
lol the obvious one is the 13", that's why I am leaning towards it.

I agree. I just can't pull the trigger. Anyways, I would do the base. Don't want to pay the extra for the Ultimate 13". I could order a 13" with 4gb of ram but I really prefer to buy in the store and they don't stock that configuration.Oh well

shootingrubber
Nov 3, 2010, 03:08 PM
I agree. I just can't pull the trigger. Anyways, I would do the base. Don't want to pay the extra for the Ultimate 13". I could order a 13" with 4gb of ram but I really prefer to buy in the store and they don't stock that configuration.Oh well

Yeah, I am going to do the base I think. I don't need 4GB of RAM. I have an iMac at home that I will use for heavy duty stuff.

I'll let you know if I purchase lol.

teerexx52
Nov 3, 2010, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I am going to do the base I think. I don't need 4GB of RAM. I have an iMac at home that I will use for heavy duty stuff.

I'll let you know if I purchase lol.

This will be my only one which is why I lean to the 13" even though 2gb ram. With 2 computers i'd take the 11:)

shootingrubber
Nov 3, 2010, 03:28 PM
This will be my only one which is why I lean to the 13" even though 2gb ram. With 2 computers i'd take the 11:)

Yeah, but a lot of the time I sleep at my girlfriends house, am at school for long periods of time, and I need a fully capable machine for my needs while I am on the go. While the 11" might be enough for some, I think the base 13" is perfect for my needs. The 13" resolution is what I was used to before I sold my MacBook Pro, so I think the smaller footprint, lighter weight will be perfect (in comparison to the MBP).

iag48
Nov 3, 2010, 03:30 PM
I bought the base 11, because primarily of the footprint. The way I see it, if I am going to buy a 13 inch Macbook, it might as well be a full fledged Macbook Pro. 2 pounds are not going to make a difference, for me at least.

I also tried to choke up my base 11 and have not been successful. Opened every program I have, Safari with multiple tabs, Youtube running HD, and the little sucker was still snappy. Therefore, for me, I do not require 4gb of ram. Perhaps if you try something heavy tasks then 4gb will be needed.

The smaller foot print of the 11 is its biggest advantage. I go through my class nights while riding a crowded NYC subway train in the morning. It is easy to hold in one hand, similar to an iPad.

My only complaint is that everyone wants to hold it and wave it around.:mad:

ImperialX
Nov 3, 2010, 03:48 PM
13" is more practical, yet 11" is a more lust-worthy object. Your choice.

shootingrubber
Nov 3, 2010, 03:48 PM
I bought the base 11, because primarily of the footprint. The way I see it, if I am going to buy a 13 inch Macbook, it might as well be a full fledged Macbook Pro. 2 pounds are not going to make a difference, for me at least.

I also tried to choke up my base 11 and have not been successful. Opened every program I have, Safari with multiple tabs, Youtube running HD, and the little sucker was still snappy. Therefore, for me, I do not require 4gb of ram. Perhaps if you try something heavy tasks then 4gb will be needed.

The smaller foot print of the 11 is its biggest advantage. I go through my class nights while riding a crowded NYC subway train in the morning. It is easy to hold in one hand, similar to an iPad.

My only complaint is that everyone wants to hold it and wave it around.:mad:

The base 13" MacBook Air has better benchmarks than the 13" MacBook Pro.

bcaslis
Nov 3, 2010, 04:04 PM
13" is more practical, yet 11" is a more lust-worthy object. Your choice.

I bought the maxed 13" and I have no issues with it. Yet I'm still lusting for the 11" due to it's size.

Not sure what to do yet. :confused:

Maven1975
Nov 3, 2010, 04:23 PM
I bought the maxed 13" and I have no issues with it. Yet I'm still lusting for the 11" due to it's size.

The 11 sits in the lap so much better. I truly feel its addictive because of the size. Either way, Apple is going to clean up on these!

Although, I have a suspicion that Apple is finally going to put a dedicated GPU in the new 13" MBP, making this whole problem a mute point. I will flock to the store to pick that up next. LOL!

teerexx52
Nov 3, 2010, 04:51 PM

I think I'll go 11" because of the lust factor:)

shootingrubber
Nov 3, 2010, 05:04 PM

I think I'll go 11" because of the lust factor:)

Hmm, I'm going back to the Apple Store tonight to look one last time lol.

teerexx52
Nov 3, 2010, 05:05 PM

Hmm, I'm going back to the Apple Store tonight to look one last time lol.

I'm on the 13 now. Go for it. It is definitely the lust factor the OP talked about

shootingrubber
Nov 3, 2010, 05:13 PM

Yeah I think I'm going to go for the base 13".

flynz4
Nov 3, 2010, 08:16 PM
I'm on the 13 now. Go for it. It is definitely the lust factor the OP talked about

As Jimmy Buffett said: "But I know one thing... Indecision may or may not be my problem."

/Jim

bcaslis
Nov 3, 2010, 08:47 PM

So are you saying go for the 11" or 13"?

teerexx52
Nov 3, 2010, 08:50 PM

Leaning towards the 11:)

shootingrubber
Nov 3, 2010, 09:33 PM

Leaning towards the 11:)

Well if I get the 11" I'll get 4GB of RAM. Hmm I like them both a lot, but I can't have both lol.

teerexx52
Nov 3, 2010, 09:39 PM

Well if I get the 11" I'll get 4GB of RAM. Hmm I like them both a lot, but I can't have both lol.

The one I'm on has 4gb ram, 1.6, 128. Runs no different than the 13 base. I hear you on not having them both:)

swindmill
Nov 4, 2010, 09:48 AM
I currently use a 13" alu MB at home and work, with a 20" ACD at home. I plan to get an iMac for home and an 11.6" MBA that I can use at work with the 20" ACD. In other words, the 11" would be too small for use at work, but with an external display, it's the perfect option.

entatlrg
Nov 4, 2010, 10:02 AM

That's what I did and you'll never be able to get either on out of my hands :D

And, yes I am using both :)

teerexx52
Nov 4, 2010, 10:39 AM
The one I'm on has 4gb ram, 1.6, 128. Runs no different than the 13 base. I hear you on not having them both:)

took back the 13 and settled on the 11:)

shootingrubber
Nov 4, 2010, 02:28 PM

How do you find the battery on the 11 compared to the 13?

ufkdo
Nov 4, 2010, 02:41 PM
It seems you are about to make a tough decision. I think 11 inch will be fine for your statement.

teerexx52
Nov 4, 2010, 02:48 PM
How do you find the battery on the 11 compared to the 13?

Just got back from Dunkin Donuts. Surfing wifi on screen set to 70% brightness 5 hours. 13 was more like 6-7

stonegammage
Nov 4, 2010, 03:03 PM

I would go for the 11 inch of portability iPad style is what you are after
that's definitely what I'm going to do
It is a cross between MacBook
and iPad. awesome

shootingrubber
Nov 4, 2010, 10:53 PM

I would go for the 11 inch of portability iPad style is what you are after
that's definitely what I'm going to do
It is a cross between MacBook
and iPad. awesome

Ordering 13-inch, 4GB:)

turbineseaplane
Nov 4, 2010, 10:53 PM
Go for the iPad 2nd Gen.

shootingrubber
Nov 4, 2010, 10:55 PM
Go for the iPad 2nd Gen.

Huh? No, I am looking at the MacBook Air's. I am selling my iPad because the MacBook Air is more what I am looking for.

jw6961
Nov 4, 2010, 11:30 PM
Ordering 13-inch, 4GB:)

A wise choice ;)

Mine arrived this afternoon & I'm loving it :D

smaug
Nov 5, 2010, 12:23 AM
I think it's pretty simple here. If the Air is going to be your only computer, get the 13". If it compliments another, get the 11" as portability and size are important. I have the 11" and love having something the size of an iPad with the capabilities of a Mac

bcaslis
Nov 5, 2010, 01:06 AM

Did they charge the restocking fee?

highscheme
Nov 5, 2010, 01:44 AM
11" Rules Us

wirelessmacuser
Nov 5, 2010, 02:53 AM
There's no such thing as one being better than the other. They're simply different. Obviously this topic could be argued for days.

Here's my take:
If your budget can handle it, order both and use them in your real world conditions. The in-store experience just doesn't cut it.

Once you've tried them in your world, return the one you don't want.

Or if you're as sic as I am, keep them both.... :)

T4R06
Nov 6, 2010, 11:56 AM
im in deepest trouble since last night... yesterday afternoon i just reserved 11.6 and 13.3 via apps on iphone..

now it seems, to be the winner is the 11.6...

im crazy going to apple store now to pickup the 11.6 128ssd config

teerexx52
Nov 6, 2010, 12:14 PM
Did they charge the restocking fee?

No the didn't

sunchase
Nov 7, 2010, 07:33 AM
hi there, i'm also thinking about getting a new mba, replacing my mbp 15" (late 08). the mbp has 2.4ghz and 4gigs of ram, so i think i'm gonna go for the 13", standard cpu with 4gb ram.
is this also what you guys would suggest? i think the 11" would be too small. i want to use it for office stuff, but also for remote connections via terminal, watching movies now and then, so the bigger resolution should really be a plus (the 13" mba actually has the same resolution is my 15" mbp). i'm also looking forward getting twice as battery power, since my mbp only lasts about 3 hours ...

Fraaaa
Nov 7, 2010, 08:27 AM
13" 4GB.

I don't want a compromised screen size for my main laptop.

If would have been a secondary one, I might have been going with the 11".

teerexx52
Nov 7, 2010, 08:29 AM
hi there, i'm also thinking about getting a new mba, replacing my mbp 15" (late 08). the mbp has 2.4ghz and 4gigs of ram, so i think i'm gonna go for the 13", standard cpu with 4gb ram.
is this also what you guys would suggest? i think the 11" would be too small. i want to use it for office stuff, but also for remote connections via terminal, watching movies now and then, so the bigger resolution should really be a plus (the 13" mba actually has the same resolution is my 15" mbp). i'm also looking forward getting twice as battery power, since my mbp only lasts about 3 hours ...

I went from a MacBook Pro 15" i7 all the way to an 11.6 Air. The air is my only computer and doing fine with it so far. Sitting here at Panera Bread with it right now. What a pleasure:)

gwsat
Nov 7, 2010, 09:08 AM
13" 4GB.

I don't want a compromised screen size for my main laptop.

If would have been a secondary one, I might have been going with the 11".
Great minds think alike.:) One of the main reasons I bought the 13 inch MBA in favor of the 11 inch model was that I thought I needed its additional screen real estate if I was going to be comfortable using it as an all day every day machine. If I were rich and famous, I would buy the $999.00 base 11 inch MBA as a substitute for my iPad. The 11 inch MBA is not a lot bigger than the iPad but it's exponentially more powerful. As a resident in the Real World, however, I use my 13 inch MBA as an iPad substitute. It is not as perfect for the purpose as the 11 inch MBA would have been but it's not chopped liver, either.

On the plus side, thanks to my 13 inch MBA's 256GB of flash storage, I have plenty of room for Windows 7 running in a 13GB VMware Fusion virtual machine plus a boat load of OS X apps. I migrated 125GB worth of programs and data from my MBP to the MBA. The 11 inch model's 128GB of storage would have been clearly inadequate for that. My 13 inch MBA has become the functional equivalent of my old MBP and has replaced it for all purposes, save copying CDs into iTunes, which I still do on the MBP.

jimboutilier
Nov 7, 2010, 09:30 AM
I used to have a 15" MBP and loved everything about it but size and weight. I travel a lot, flying most weeks and working on planes, in airports, at hotels, and various offices always moving from place to place and meeting to meeting.

I went to a uMB and found it much to my liking. If I could only have one machine it would be a loaded 13" MBP as it has all the capability and capacity I need and mobility I can live with.

But when the MBA came out it was a whole other mobility experience that nothing else could touch. I used a revA 1.6/2/80 as my primary machine for about a year. Loved the mobility but was constantly chafing against the capacity. Similar experience with a revC 2.13/2/128.

Surprisingly an iPad purchase caused me to get rid of my MBA and use the combination of uMB (I'd travel with it but it would stay in it's case or sit on a desk for remote access or heavy duty production work) and the iPad (which would be used most of the time and go everywhere with me).

The new MBA still doesn't have the capacity to be my only machine so I'll likely retain my old uMB as a desktop (eventually replacing with an iMac I expect). And I know how great a 13" MBA can be so if the screen doesn't kill me I'm thinking the 11 will even be that much better. I'll be keeping the iPad for reading and surfing and some meetings or longer flights.

My only worry about the 11 is how my eyes will get along with that screen working on it every day. We'll see over the next couple weeks.

Hope these experiences help in your decision making.

sunchase
Nov 7, 2010, 01:49 PM
in fact, the mba will not be my only computer. i have a mac mini as a media center and a windows pc for gaming ... so i'm thinkin if i should maybe go for the 11"? but 3 years ago, i swapped my black 13" mb for the new unibody 15" mbp, because the 13" display was too small, in combination with the low resolution ... but now, even the 11" monitor has a higher resolution than the actual macbook pros with 13" ...
don't know what to do :)

highscheme
Nov 7, 2010, 02:14 PM
in fact, the mba will not be my only computer. i have a mac mini as a media center and a windows pc for gaming ... so i'm thinkin if i should maybe go for the 11"? but 3 years ago, i swapped my black 13" mb for the new unibody 15" mbp, because the 13" display was too small, in combination with the low resolution ... but now, even the 11" monitor has a higher resolution than the actual macbook pros with 13" ...
don't know what to do :)

You will think it is too small again then. Only, if you don't plan to use the 11" as much as you used your 13" will you not find it to be an issue.

shootingrubber
Nov 7, 2010, 04:29 PM
Base 13-inch MBA with 4GB of RAM is prepared for shipment:)

scenemissing
Nov 7, 2010, 07:16 PM
Base 13-inch MBA with 4GB of RAM is prepared for shipment:)

That's the one I'm going to get most likely, as soon as I stop overthinking it.

miata
Nov 7, 2010, 08:23 PM
At first, I thought the 13" was the perfect laptop, but after two weeks of thinking and playing with both at Apple Stores I've change my tune.

I now think that the MBA 11" is the perfect super-mobile laptop. It is much, much more functional than the iPad -- yet does not try to be a fully functional laptop like the MBA 13." It is what the iPad should have been (granted I am not a big fan of iOS, but anyway...) The MBA 11" is $300 more than the iPad for the same 64 GB storage -- but gives you MacOS, USB slots for storage expandability, SD card readers, ethernet and more.

The 13" MBP is really a "tweaner" with less portability than the 11" and many compromises compared to the MPB 13" -- you can now get a refurb for $1019 that gives you faster CPU, Gig-E, Firewire 800, integrated SuperDrive, more RAM and expandability for the future.

shootingrubber
Nov 7, 2010, 10:54 PM
13-inch MacBook Air, 4 GB of RAM, 128 GB SSD just shipped! Can't wait to open this when it gets here... How long do you think it will take to get here if I am in Canada? Thursday maybe?

Dammit Cubs
Nov 7, 2010, 10:59 PM
this is a pretty simple answer:

1) if you are going to use your computer all day long (no monitor) go with the 13in

2) if you are going to move alot with your computer and use it all day but in 1 -2 hour stretches go with the 11in

3) if you are gonna travel alot and need a smaller computer - go with the 11

4) if you are gonna use it for more higher intensive programs - go with the 13 but actually you should just go with a pro.

5) if you want the portability of 11 but you are gonna use it all day, then get a monitor and buy the 11.

you get the idea: people who buy the 13in, are using the screen more, they are gonna be using it for hours at a time etc etc

people who buy the 11in, need a small computer they can carry around to do quick productive work. this usually leads most people in buying the 11 as their secondary computer.

shootingrubber
Nov 12, 2010, 03:38 PM
MacBook Air just arrived:)

teerexx52
Nov 12, 2010, 05:53 PM
MacBook Air just arrived:)

What did you get?

Corax
Nov 12, 2010, 06:50 PM
What did you get?

Read two posts back before his last post.

teerexx52
Nov 12, 2010, 06:53 PM
Read two posts back before his last post.

Thanks. Should have read further back

ccsicecoke
Nov 13, 2010, 08:10 PM
Damn. So many people favor the form factor of 11 and functionality of 13. Why can't SJ introduce a 12 inch model?

InsanelyApple
Nov 13, 2010, 08:51 PM
Damn. So many people favor the form factor of 11 and functionality of 13. Why can't SJ introduce a 12 inch model?

Cause then people would want an 11.5" and 12.5". After those two are released then people would want 11.25", 11.75", 12.25", and a 12.75". Then people would want... :rolleyes:

CatKingK
Nov 13, 2010, 09:08 PM
If you buy the MBA 13", you probably can use it all the time. If you only have a 11", you may need another one for your work.
13" full load is fantastic but the 11" is really very sexy.
The best is the 13" for yourself and 11" for your wife who only use laptop once in a while.

peapody
Nov 13, 2010, 09:15 PM
I have been trying to decide between an ultimate 13.3" and an ultimate 11.6" and gosh I want to tear my hair out. I bought the 13.3" first because that is what I am used to coming from a Rev C, but to be honest the Rev D ultimate is such a good computer that it almost duplicates everything I can do with my macbook pro. I decided to sell it and pick up the ultimate 11.6". I tried it out int he store and I believe I can do all my work on it...the portability will be great on rounds and during rotations!

Some people said sell the macbook pro, I don't think those specs are ones that I can let go!

AppleGoddess
Nov 13, 2010, 09:23 PM
THE 11.6 is the PERFECT MBA!

peapody
Nov 13, 2010, 09:29 PM
THE 11.6 is the PERFECT MBA!

Haha no, not really.

EARL97850
Nov 13, 2010, 09:30 PM
Haha no, not really.

Wouldn't that be his or hers (AppleGoddness) matter of opinion.

Cya

dmelgar
Nov 13, 2010, 09:59 PM
If you buy the MBA 13", you probably can use it all the time. If you only have a 11", you may need another one for your work.
13" full load is fantastic but the 11" is really very sexy.
The best is the 13" for yourself and 11" for your wife who only use laptop once in a while.

I"m surprised I hear this so much. There really isn't much difference between the 13 and 11" MBA. Primarily a faster CPU that most folks will never notice in typical usage.

The biggest difference is size.
Its amazing the 11.6" is such a capable machine in such a minuscule machine.

The 11.6" works great BTW hooked up to one or more large external monitors. No need for a separate desktop or bigger heavier laptop.

foiden
Nov 13, 2010, 10:04 PM
The CPU is kind of a big thing depending on what you want to do with it. iLife users and photo folks will likely notice the difference first, because those programs utilize the CPU quite a bit. Not talking about handling viewing of photos, but more of the time to perform various expensive manipulations and enhancements. If you plan to utilize Garageband, you'll also want the CPU boost as slower CPUs (like the stock 11") really struggle beyond two instrument tracks.

Of course, for iwork/office stuff, these seem to all do great. Probably works great for internet and flash apps. (But then again, if you are doing flash, some will want that 13 inch for the extra battery life).

bcaslis
Nov 13, 2010, 10:14 PM
I have been trying to decide between an ultimate 13.3" and an ultimate 11.6" and gosh I want to tear my hair out. I bought the 13.3" first because that is what I am used to coming from a Rev C, but to be honest the Rev D ultimate is such a good computer that it almost duplicates everything I can do with my macbook pro. I decided to sell it and pick up the ultimate 11.6". I tried it out int he store and I believe I can do all my work on it...the portability will be great on rounds and during rotations!

Some people said sell the macbook pro, I don't think those specs are ones that I can let go!

Wait, you're the genius who posted this?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11412138&postcount=84

I see...

teski
Nov 13, 2010, 10:32 PM
I"m surprised I hear this so much. There really isn't much difference between the 13 and 11" MBA. Primarily a faster CPU that most folks will never notice in typical usage.

The biggest difference is size.
Its amazing the 11.6" is such a capable machine in such a minuscule machine.

The 11.6" works great BTW hooked up to one or more large external monitors. No need for a separate desktop or bigger heavier laptop.

Processor speed, double the max drive space, 15" MBPro screen resolution in the 13, SD slot, more battery...There are plenty of differences and those are the ones that drove me to the maxed out 13"

dmelgar
Nov 13, 2010, 10:33 PM
The CPU is kind of a big thing depending on what you want to do with it. iLife users and photo folks will likely notice the difference first, because those programs utilize the CPU quite a bit. Not talking about handling viewing of photos, but more of the time to perform various expensive manipulations and enhancements. If you plan to utilize Garageband, you'll also want the CPU boost as slower CPUs (like the stock 11") really struggle beyond two instrument tracks.

Of course, for iwork/office stuff, these seem to all do great. Probably works great for internet and flash apps. (But then again, if you are doing flash, some will want that 13 inch for the extra battery life).

As you said, it depends on what you do. For all the software development I do on various platforms including Eclipse and XCode, the 1.6mhz 11.6" MBA is as fast or faster than my 2.24ghz MBP. The speed of the disk more than outweighs the speed of the CPU.

If the 11" handles most of everything you want to do with a computer, why lug around a bigger heavier computer? The 11.6" is an amazing small machine with no equals. The 13" MBA is very similar to the 13" MBP. Why not get the 13" MBP, you get so much more for less money. Can get a bigger drive, more memory, backlit keyboard, much faster external disk access with firewire 800, faster CPU, superdrive.

If you're buying a new machine and want to 13", I can see a debate between the MBP and MBA. But if you're looking switch from one of the MBPs and want more portability, the 13" MBA isn't a big enough change from the 13" MBP which is a better deal. The 11" MBA is the breakthrough step to a powerful yet amazingly tiny machine.

sushi
Nov 13, 2010, 10:42 PM
In my case, I think the deciding factor would be how much I use the MBA in portable mode. For example, if at my work area I connected the MBA to an external display such as the Apple 27 inch LED Cinema Display, and rarely needed to use my MBA on the go, then I would probably opt for the 11 inch.

However, if I used my MBA on the go all the time, then I would opt for a larger screen and go with the MBA 13.

In my case, screen real estate is important for what I do/need.

Note, I could see other options. Such as if I commuted via train or plane a lot then the MBA 11 would be a better fit.

Definitely not an easy decision in all cases.

foiden
Nov 13, 2010, 10:45 PM
As you said, it depends on what you do. For all the software development I do on various platforms including Eclipse and XCode, the 1.6mhz 11.6" MBA is as fast or faster than my 2.24ghz MBP. The speed of the disk more than outweighs the speed of the CPU.

If the 11" handles most of everything you want to do with a computer, why lug around a bigger heavier computer? The 11.6" is an amazing small machine with no equals. The 13" MBA is very similar to the 13" MBP. Why not get the 13" MBP, you get so much more for less money. Can get a bigger drive, more memory, backlit keyboard, much faster external disk access with firewire 800, faster CPU, superdrive.

If you're buying a new machine and want to 13", I can see a debate between the MBP and MBA. But if you're looking switch from one of the MBPs and want more portability, the 13" MBA isn't a big enough change from the 13" MBP which is a better deal. The 11" MBA is the breakthrough step to a powerful yet amazingly tiny machine.

That's something to note. I actually already have the MBP 13". I actually use it in my production work. It's actually a real screamer, too. I've literally pushed the equivalent of a full orchestra recording through it, layered with an electronic orchestra, with several layers of real-time effects. All my previous machines would practically shut down trying to handle that. So yeah, it handles my heavy lifting.

And true, the Air would specifically be really for light transport, so I know I wouldn't be looking to compete with the MBP. I was kind of hoping the MBA 11 would have a little more battery life to it, though.