PDA

View Full Version : Would a powerbook g4 run final cut studio

michiel1996
Nov 2, 2010, 03:45 PM
I found a cheap :apple:powerbook:apple: G4 1.50 GHz (12")

But my question is Would it run an older versoin of final cut studio (and run it smooth) and can you watch good quality YouTube video's in it?
:eek:

thejadedmonkey
Nov 2, 2010, 03:50 PM
No.

If you set youtube you use HTML5 instead of Flash, youTube becomes watchable. However, Final Cut Studio is going to depend 100% on what you want to do with it. Just keep in mind, with HD footage, I can bring a 2.8ghz iMac to its knees. I shudder to think what a 1.5ghz PPC would run like.

spinnerlys
Nov 2, 2010, 03:52 PM
It depends on the FCS version and what you want to do with it. Editing will be doable, though Motion and Color might be hard to run, depending on the footage.
Watching HD YouTube video will not be possible, maybe with the exception of using the HTML5 beta of YouTube or ClickToFlash. SD videos on YT might work, but even those are CPU heavy in Flash.

MacHamster68
Nov 2, 2010, 07:22 PM
final cut studio will work
Final Cut Studio 2. System Requirements.

Minimum Requirements to Install All Final Cut Studio Applications

A Macintosh computer with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4, PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo, or Intel Xeon processor
1GB of RAM
An AGP or PCI Express Quartz Extreme graphics card (Final Cut Studio is not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors)
A display with 1024-by-768 resolution or higher
Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
QuickTime 7.1.6 or later
A DVD drive for installation

and the original FCS had even lower spec

Final Cut Studio System Requirements
Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) or G5 processor; HD features require 1GHz or faster single or dual processor; authoring of HD DVDs requires a PowerPC G5 processor.
512MB of physical RAM; HD features require 1GB of RAM or more (2GB recommended)
Mac OS X v10.3.9 or Mac OS X v10.4 (or later); Core Image Units and 16- and 32-bit float rendering in Motion 2 require Mac OS X v10.4 or later
Display with at least 1024 x 768 resolution
QuickTime 7 (or later)
DVD drive required for installation
DLT drive recommended for transporting projects on tape to a replicator (suggested for DVD-9 projects)
AGP Quartz Extreme graphics card
Motion 2 requires the standard graphics card found on any Power Mac G5 or iMac G5, a 1.25GHz or faster PowerBook G4 or a 1.25GHz or faster flat-panel iMac. Any of the following graphics cards is highly recommended: NVIDIA GeForce FX 6800 Ultra DDL, NVIDIA GeForce FX 6800 GT DDL (NV40), ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (RV M11), ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (R350) or ATI Radeon 9800 XT (R360).
4GB of disk space required to install all applications; additional 41GB required to install all optional templates, loops, content and tutorials (may be installed on separate disks)
Playback of HD DVDs authored in DVD Studio Pro 4 requires a PowerPC G5 processor, Mac OS X v10.4 and Apple DVD Player 4.6 (or later

and youtube sd videos up to 360p are no problem