Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheChillPill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
Manchester, UK
Hi Folks,

I've finally decided to pick up an Apple TV, and rather than keeping my iMac on all the time, I'd like to set up an iTunes server on my Windows Home Server machine (which isn't being used anywhere near as much these days).

I've installed iTunes on the server and enabled Home Sharing - the library shows up fine on my iMac.

The main problem I'm having is getting media onto the home server - at the moment, the only way I can see of doing this is to use RDC to connect to the server, open iTunes and import the media. Obviously this is less than ideal.

In most cases, the media will come into my iMac first, so I would also need to send the media across the network first, before connecting via RDC.

I'm primarily looking to host Video & Music on the iTunes server, but if I can also put Books & Apps on there too (serving as a backup) that would be a huge bonus.

My question is - am I missing something here or are the above steps the only way of getting things onto the server?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.