PDA

View Full Version : A POSITIVE Review! 11" "ultimate"

srt4cane
Nov 3, 2010, 12:48 PM
Hi guys, I've been reading many threads on here about several problems that people are experiencing with their Airs and I figured I would brighten the place up a bit :)

I got the 11.6" 128 SSD/4 GB/1.6 GHz last night and I could not be happier.

- The facetime camera is excellent (comparable to my alu macbook from 6 months ago)
- My hinge is firm and the screen does not flop around when i move it unless i am in the last 10 degrees or so of its range of motion (fully opened). It is very slight and certainly no worse than any other apple laptop i've had.
-I've watched several HD youtube videos at full screen and did not experience any slowdown whatsoever.
-Overall experience is FAST. Most apps load up quickly and are ready to go within 2-3 seconds
-The speakers are surprisingly effective at creating crisp, room-filling sound

Basically, the new Air is a badass little computer :D

Just thought i'd throw in my 2 cents....It can get really depressing in here for people trying to decide whether or not to go through with the purchase, especially with some of the trivial gripes i've seen (1 atom on the keyboard is out of place....etc) :p

MikePA
Nov 3, 2010, 12:54 PM
Same system. Completely agree.

potentpotable
Nov 3, 2010, 12:57 PM
Agreed. Despite a bad experience with my display, I am infatuated. Definitely recommending everyone to get one.

bowlerman625
Nov 3, 2010, 02:08 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Who started calling these MBAs ultimate and why? It's annoying!

I do like my ultimate a lot though!

sarah11918
Nov 3, 2010, 02:26 PM
Same system. Completely agree.

Ditto.

magbarn
Nov 3, 2010, 02:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Blame Apple store workers... They call them "ultimates"

a2applegirl
Nov 3, 2010, 03:22 PM
I have the fully loaded 11.6 air and I absolutely love it. I am taking it everywhere. It is my new child. :cool:

biosci
Nov 3, 2010, 04:03 PM
I like badass! That's MBA - MacBadAss!

I have this config and love it so far!!! I always go through at least 2 hours with no power adapter daily so it's fitting my workflow just right!

gb1631
Nov 3, 2010, 04:25 PM
Hi guys, I've been reading many threads on here about several problems that people are experiencing with their Airs and I figured I would brighten the place up a bit :)

I got the 11.6" 128 SSD/4 GB/1.6 GHz last night and I could not be happier.

- The facetime camera is excellent (comparable to my alu macbook from 6 months ago)
- My hinge is firm and the screen does not flop around when i move it unless i am in the last 10 degrees or so of its range of motion (fully opened). It is very slight and certainly no worse than any other apple laptop i've had.
-I've watched several HD youtube videos at full screen and did not experience any slowdown whatsoever.
-Overall experience is FAST. Most apps load up quickly and are ready to go within 2-3 seconds
-The speakers are surprisingly effective at creating crisp, room-filling sound

Basically, the new Air is a badass little computer :D

Just thought i'd throw in my 2 cents....It can get really depressing in here for people trying to decide whether or not to go through with the purchase, especially with some of the trivial gripes i've seen (1 atom on the keyboard is out of place....etc) :p

Good to hear! Mine is on order and hasn't shipped as of yet! (Ordered 01 Nov)

///M5
Nov 3, 2010, 05:01 PM
Good to hear! Mine is on order and hasn't shipped as of yet! (Ordered 01 Nov)

I ordered Sunday. Shipped Tuesday. Should be here Friday.

Bulldog3777
Nov 3, 2010, 05:17 PM
I have the same system and I agree 100%

1appleAday
Nov 3, 2010, 05:21 PM
I like badass! That's MBA - MacBadAss!

I have this config and love it so far!!! I always go through at least 2 hours with no power adapter daily so it's fitting my workflow just right!

LOL, MacBadAss is awesome!

Congrats on your purchase OP! Glad you love your MacBadAss! :D

Scottsdale
Nov 3, 2010, 06:12 PM

AGREED. LMAO.

It really takes an Apple lover to call a fourth quarter 2010 released Mac with a 1.6 GHz C2D CPU, that has been on the market for over three years, for $1399, an "ultimate" anything.

It definitely is funny. Not to say the computer isn't nice, it's just nowhere near "ultimate" in anything. I think of gaming laptop with a 1 GB discrete GPU, 8 GB RAM, and a fancy Core i-series CPU as "ultimate" in terms of computing. Or maybe even an overpriced 17" MBP as ultimate, or a Mac Pro can be ultimate, but not a 1.6 GHz MBA in late 2010.

Cool, fun, fast, small, lightweight, easy on the eyes, great design, etc... sure, but not "ultimate."

andrew upstairs
Nov 3, 2010, 08:39 PM

"Ultimate" denotes maxed-out specs on the new models. Only the base models and fully upgraded models are available at retail, so "ultimate" is used to differentiate them.

Apologies if you already knew that! :P

srt4cane
Nov 3, 2010, 08:42 PM
AGREED. LMAO.

It really takes an Apple lover to call a fourth quarter 2010 released Mac with a 1.6 GHz C2D CPU, that has been on the market for over three years, for $1399, an "ultimate" anything.

It definitely is funny. Not to say the computer isn't nice, it's just nowhere near "ultimate" in anything. I think of gaming laptop with a 1 GB discrete GPU, 8 GB RAM, and a fancy Core i-series CPU as "ultimate" in terms of computing. Or maybe even an overpriced 17" MBP as ultimate, or a Mac Pro can be ultimate, but not a 1.6 GHz MBA in late 2010.

Cool, fun, fast, small, lightweight, easy on the eyes, great design, etc... sure, but not "ultimate."

haha...while I'm sure many in this thread would agree that the mba is the "ultimate" laptop for their purposes.....the reference to the 11" 1.6/4/128 as ultimate is simply because it has the maximum specs available....no need to tear it down in a thread focused on the positive aspects of the device :) Nobody really cares what machine you would consider "ultimate", as there are many systems better than the one's you mentioned anyways. ;)

Dammit Cubs
Nov 3, 2010, 09:08 PM
i have to say even though the C2D tech is 3 years old. This version with ultra low voltage is relatively new. The cache in this equal to my C2D 2.4 from 3years go. and the litho drop is probably a knotch or two.

Its 3 years tech, but its a refined 3 years tech.

entatlrg
Nov 3, 2010, 09:12 PM
ultimate, not ultimate whatever ... I LOVE my 11" MBA, 4gb ram, 128ssd ... can't seem to put it down, take it with me everywhere, incredible keyboard, screen ... it's great!

gwsat
Nov 3, 2010, 09:32 PM
AGREED. LMAO.

How legitimate the work "ultimate" is to describe a maxed out MBA depends on context. In the context you have placed the loaded MBAs, stressing their aging C2D chips, I would certainly agree that there is nothing "ultimate" about them. I suggest, however, that most folks use "ultimate" to simply mean the most powerful and capable MBAs currently available. That is certainly what I meant when I used it and assumed that was how others were using it, too.

MiBook84
Nov 3, 2010, 09:55 PM
I think it is extremely ultimate in many ways. The way they process the aluminium, the very extreme detail to every part. It really is the state of the art in computer design, ultimately :) Nobody else has even come close.

qosie
Nov 3, 2010, 11:10 PM
I used my "ultimate" all day and I'm so in love so far! =D I don't think I'll ever want to keep it home or not have it on me. It's so tiny, zippy, and fun!

kp98077
Nov 3, 2010, 11:17 PM
I honestly do NOT understand why statements such as this are made, pure non-educated criticalness. Remember these are NOT the same as the prior MBA! Totally different type of system (i.e.,flash based and NO HARD DRIVE) UGHHHHHHHHHHHH :)--got back to a PC is you want with 5x specs on paper but guarantee it will perform NO where NEAR the MBA.

AGREED. LMAO.

iMav
Nov 3, 2010, 11:47 PM
I have the same system and love it as well. And I am someone who wouldn't go anywhere near the earlier MBA's. The smaller form factor actually gave me a reason to consider the MBA.

The performance has been great for what I use it for. And you can't beat the portability!

entatlrg
Nov 4, 2010, 01:18 AM
To determine the ultimate or the best computer for you do we care 'what it is' OR 'what it does'?

I'm all about user experience, it trumps spec's every time and doesn't get the priority it deserves, its equally important to spec's.

My MBA handles everything I throw at it and it's the best user experience I've had on a laptop so far. That really is "the ultimate".

It's funny to read posts about this and that laptop with i7, 8gb ram cheaper than a mac blah blah .... but they forget to mention the screen is unbearable to look at and/or horrible to type on, poor build quality etc ... resulting in a poor user experience every hour you use it ... but the spec's are better? Who cares!!

Another good and recent example for me is the Sony Z, incredible spec's, very light, 3 ubs ports, hdmi, great keyboard, high resolution screen and the popular win7 - that's got to be "the ultimate", right? It's a nice computer and I like it but I prefer my new Air by far ... better keyboard, screen, OSX, quieter fan, for my uses its as fast as the Z.

That makes the new MBA the best notebook there is. The ultimate notebook for sure.

That's what Apple is all about. User experience. Not spec's. Kudos to Steve Job's and Apple for that.

YOKOJP
Nov 4, 2010, 01:29 AM
AGREED. LMAO.

The word Ultimate (maxed out) came from a review from MACWORLD (I belief or other mac review websites.) After that review I guess people started using the word ULTIMATE.

Scottsdale
Nov 4, 2010, 01:35 AM
haha...while I'm sure many in this thread would agree that the mba is the "ultimate" laptop for their purposes.....the reference to the 11" 1.6/4/128 as ultimate is simply because it has the maximum specs available....no need to tear it down in a thread focused on the positive aspects of the device :) Nobody really cares what machine you would consider "ultimate", as there are many systems better than the one's you mentioned anyways. ;)

Geez everyone. I was joking about it being called ultimate, but I obviously understand the context here.

I love the MBAs, and I can joke about their lack of great specs in fun...

gwsat
Nov 4, 2010, 09:49 AM
I honestly do NOT understand why statements such as this are made, pure non-educated criticalness. Remember these are NOT the same as the prior MBA! Totally different type of system (i.e.,flash based and NO HARD DRIVE) UGHHHHHHHHHHHH :)--got back to a PC is you want with 5x specs on paper but guarantee it will perform NO where NEAR the MBA.
I love my MBA but can't resist observing that the old 2.13Ghz model had an SSD drive, which was the functional equivalent of the new MBA's flash storage.

By the way, posting above a post from which you are quoting is regarded by most as bad form.

entatlrg
Nov 4, 2010, 10:06 AM
Geez everyone. I was joking about it being called ultimate, but I obviously understand the context here.

I love the MBAs, and I can joke about their lack of great specs in fun...

Point well taken :)

I think we're all just a little defensive about our new MBA's, I'm still drooling over mine.

Scottsdale - which one are you using the most, the 11 or 13"?

Scottsdale
Nov 5, 2010, 12:27 AM
Point well taken :)

I think we're all just a little defensive about our new MBA's, I'm still drooling over mine.

Scottsdale - which one are you using the most, the 11 or 13"?

The 13" for sure. I love the build quality, the solid feel, and the speed and performance capabilities. I also LOVE the fact that the 27" LED ACD now can be run down to the left side of the MBA and the cable doesn't have to split to go to power on one side and USB/sound on the other as the prior MBAs required. I haven't read that in a single review, and to me it's an incredibly simply yet pleasing change to the MBA. I don't use the extra USB, SD card, or anything on the right side of the MBA, and I don't like the holes in the side of the MBA especially the SD card slot.

I am very disappointed about the loss of backlit keyboard. Even though I type pretty fast and do well when typing, it's the location of the first key in the dark that ticks me off... and even though there are two bumps on keys to let your hands know where they should be, I don't type that way.

Other than that, I think the display on the 13" MBA is incredible. I love the 1440 x 900 resolution. I don't care for the display on the 11" MBA, and I really don't like the 16 x 9 aspect ratio on a display that small. It's just too small to be that short too.

I have tried to use both for typing, and I think the 11" would be great on a plane, but everywhere else the 13" is the clear winner in my eyes. I have written a full review of both, and am considering making some videos too... I am working on a new project that will finally be launched in a few weeks and will include the reviews. Anyone that wants my review can send me a PM and I will send them a link.

cheers everyone

zedsdead
Nov 5, 2010, 04:14 AM
The 13" for sure. I love the build quality, the solid feel, and the speed and performance capabilities. I also LOVE the fact that the 27" LED ACD now can be run down to the left side of the MBA and the cable doesn't have to split to go to power on one side and USB/sound on the other as the prior MBAs required. I haven't read that in a single review, and to me it's an incredibly simply yet pleasing change to the MBA. I don't use the extra USB, SD card, or anything on the right side of the MBA, and I don't like the holes in the side of the MBA especially the SD card slot.

I am very disappointed about the loss of backlit keyboard. Even though I type pretty fast and do well when typing, it's the location of the first key in the dark that ticks me off... and even though there are two bumps on keys to let your hands know where they should be, I don't type that way.

Other than that, I think the display on the 13" MBA is incredible. I love the 1440 x 900 resolution. I don't care for the display on the 11" MBA, and I really don't like the 16 x 9 aspect ratio on a display that small. It's just too small to be that short too.

I have tried to use both for typing, and I think the 11" would be great on a plane, but everywhere else the 13" is the clear winner in my eyes. I have written a full review of both, and am considering making some videos too... I am working on a new project that will finally be launched in a few weeks and will include the reviews. Anyone that wants my review can send me a PM and I will send them a link.

cheers everyone

I agree completely, except for the ports. The MiniDisplay port IS on the right side, so the cable does have to still be split IF you want to keep it powered at the same time. Otherwise you can just run the USB and MiniDisplay Port to the right side.

I also type the same way, and I look first to get my fingers in place. It is def. the biggest thing lacking in the computer. I also miss the IR sensor for keynotes, but I have since migrated over to the Keynote app via the iPhone.

koobcamuk
Nov 5, 2010, 05:21 AM
I agree completely, except for the ports. The MiniDisplay port IS on the right side, so the cable does have to still be split IF you want to keep it powered at the same time. Otherwise you can just run the USB and MiniDisplay Port to the right side.

Yeah, what is he talking about? :

http://photos.appleinsider.com/2010MBA.003.jpg

zap2
Nov 5, 2010, 08:03 AM
glad to here about another happy 11'' Air owner. I'm in love with mine...its the perfect work horse for a college student. Not to mention, its FAST. It handles Word, Safari, iTunes, Pages and running XP in VMware. I've been blown away.

MikePA
Nov 5, 2010, 08:17 AM
glad to here about another happy 11'' Air owner. I'm in love with mine...its the perfect work horse for a college student. Not to mention, its FAST. It handles Word, Safari, iTunes, Pages and running XP in VMware. I've been blown away.

I have most of the software you mentioned plus OfficeMac 2011 (Outlook version) plus Parallels running Win7 Ultimate so I can run Quicken2011 and I still have 90gigs free on my 128gig SSD all in a form that's just a little larger than a piece of tablet paper and just a little thicker. :)

gwsat
Nov 5, 2010, 09:52 AM
I have most of the software you mentioned plus OfficeMac 2011 (Outlook version) plus Parallels running Win7 Ultimate so I can run Quicken2011 and I still have 90gigs free on my 128gig SSD all in a form that's just a little larger than a piece of tablet paper and just a little thicker. :)
Do either or both of you run your Windows apps in Fusion's unity mode, or the Parallels equivalent, so that you can run them in tandem with OS X apps? That's what I do. If you do run Fusion in Unity mode or its Parallels equivalent please tell us how much RAM you have and how Unity mode is working out for you on your 11 inch MBAs.

As appealing as the 11 inch 1.6Ghz 4GB MBA was, I finally had to give up on it because there was no conceivable way I could get by with only 128GB of storage. My Windows 7 virtual machine alone takes up nearly 16GB. By the time I got everything installed on my 13 inch MBA with 256GB of flash storage I had used 126GB of the storage.

I have the 13 inch 2.13Ghz 4GB MBA with 256GB of flash storage. How are your 11 inch MBAs configured?

MikePA
Nov 5, 2010, 10:31 AM
Do either or both of you run your Windows apps in Fusion's unity mode, or the Parallels equivalent, so that you can run them in tandem with OS X apps? That's what I do. If you do run Fusion in Unity mode or its Parallels equivalent please tell us how much RAM you have and how Unity mode is working out for you on your 11 inch MBAs.

Yes, I run Quicken2011 in Coherence mode. When I do, Parallels is using 86.0 MB of RAM while Quicken is using 5.7 MB. I have 4 gigs of RAM, 128 gig SSD and the 1.6 CPU.

gwsat
Nov 5, 2010, 10:40 AM
Yes, I run Quicken2011 in Coherence mode. When I do, Parallels is using 86.0 MB of RAM while Quicken is using 5.7 MB. I have 4 gigs of RAM, 138 gig SSD and the 1.6 CPU.
Thanks for your prompt response. If you have iStat would appreciate it if you could look at its Memory section and tell us how large your Swap File is, how much of it is in use, and how many Page Ins and Page Outs you have had since you last rebooted. My 13 inch MBA currently has a 2GB Swap File, not quite 1GB of which is in use. Since my last reboot, 3 days 13 hours ago, I have accumulated not quite 4 million Page Ins and about 12,000 Page outs.

kyleen66
Nov 5, 2010, 10:54 AM
I'm completely in love with my little "ultimate" too!

It took me about half a day with the migration assistant to get old air onto to new air, then fighting a bit with VM Fusion, which I decided to upgrade as that was likely my problem. I run XP home edition -I only need Internet Explorer for windows for our Client's online project tracker.

I got the HDMI plug for my external monitor for the home office. Everything has been more than spiffy so far and everything I'd hoped it would be (and more!)

This may well replace my all time favorite computer being the 2400c.

::Happy smile::

netdog
Nov 5, 2010, 10:59 AM
13" loaded.

Zero issues.

MikePA
Nov 5, 2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks for your prompt response. If you have iStat would appreciate it if you could look at its Memory section and tell us how large your Swap File is, how much of it is in use, and how many Page Ins and Page Outs you have had since you last rebooted. My 13 inch MBA currently has a 2GB Swap File, not quite 1GB of which is in use. Since my last reboot, 3 days 13 hours ago, I have accumulated not quite 4 million Page Ins and about 12,000 Page outs.

I need a magnifying glass to read the iStat data. :) Hopefully, I got the following correct. The Gray on black doesn't help with reading the field names.

Swap File Size - 1 gig
Swap File In Use - 432 mb
Page Ins - 1.1 mil
Page Outs - 25

My last reboot was about a day or so ago.

Scottsdale
Nov 6, 2010, 01:31 AM
Yeah, what is he talking about? :

http://photos.appleinsider.com/2010MBA.003.jpg

Well that sucks. Obviously I need to actually connect it before running my mouth off about it. I originally thought that when Jobs showed it and it has been wrong in my mind even since. Now I'm ticked they didn't fix that too! Along with the loss of backlit keyboard, light sensor, it stinks! Why Apple?????

happyslayer
Nov 6, 2010, 01:54 AM
Love mine!

I'm voting for MacBadAss as well.

Ultimate is OK, but remember they referred to the top of the line Windows Vista as Ultimate and, well, it really wasn't. :cool:

gwsat
Nov 6, 2010, 10:13 AM
I need a magnifying glass to read the iStat data. :) Hopefully, I got the following correct. The Gray on black doesn't help with reading the field names.

Swap File Size - 1 gig
Swap File In Use - 432 mb
Page Ins - 1.1 mil
Page Outs - 25

My last reboot was about a day or so ago.
Your swap file numbers look terrific. As noted in an earlier post, I have a 2GB swap file. Not quite 1GB of it is in use after 4 days and 13 hours of uptime since the last reboot. During that period I have had about 5 million Page Ins and about 75,000 Page Ins. As noted, the Page Outs have caused no discernable problems with either the stability or speed of my setup. My battery life has been surprisingly good, too.

On Thursday I decided to see just how far I could get on a single charge of my MBA, starting at a little after 7:30 AM. I used it normally during the day but was gone for a couple of hours during that time. I didn't get the red warning indicator in the battery indicator until after 9:30 PM. Obviously, I didn't really get 14 hours our of the battery but I think I did get at least 8 or 9 hours of use out of the battery during the day. I will almost never use any computer continuously for more than a couple of hours so I don't think the MBA's battery life will be a problem for me.

bcaslis
Nov 6, 2010, 10:50 AM
I picked up an 11" "Ultimate" yesterday and the form factor just makes this thing pure fun. Still trying to decide but I'm leaning heavily to returning the 13" "Ultimate". I do wish the screen were bigger and it had more storage and it had an SD card slot but the form factor just makes for so much. It also feels much more solid than my 13". Every time I look at it all I can think is "too cool for school". :)

a2applegirl
Nov 6, 2010, 10:56 AM
What's amazing to me about my ultimate 11.6" is that it runs photoshop so well. I am getting better performance out of my cs5 on my ultimate air than I did on my 13" macbook pro (entry level) that I bought last year as my portable computer. I don't even use that macbook pro anymore and am going to sell it, but the performance on the air is much faster with much fewer beach balls when using photoshop and illustrator. :cool:

gwsat
Nov 6, 2010, 11:39 AM
I have little doubt that the 11 inch Ultimate MBA has the power to do everything it is asked to do. The main thing that made me chose the 13 inch Ultimate instead was its 256GB of flash storage. Because I run Windows 7 and a bunch of Windows apps in a 13GB VMware Fusion virtual machine plus OS X and a bunch of programs for it, I needed at least 125GB of storage immediately. As I type, my MBA has already used 127.5GB of its storage. Obviously, my need for an extraordinary amount of storage eliminated the 11 inch from my consideration. Frankly, if the 11 inch Ultimate MBA had come with 256GB of storage I'm not sure that I would have been able to resist its appeal, despite wanting my MBA to be an everyday machine.

a2applegirl
Nov 6, 2010, 11:44 AM
I have little doubt that the 11 inch Ultimate MBA has the power to do everything it is asked to do. The main thing that made me chose the 13 inch Ultimate instead was its 256GB of flash storage. Because I run Windows 7 and a bunch of Windows apps in a 13GB VMware Fusion virtual machine plus OS X and a bunch of programs for it, I needed at least 125GB of storage immediately. As I type, my MBA has already used 127.5GB of its storage. Obviously, my need for an extraordinary amount of storage eliminated the 11 inch from my consideration. Frankly, if the 11 inch Ultimate MBA had come with 256GB of storage I'm not sure that I would have been able to resist its appeal, despite wanting my MBA to be an everyday machine.

I totally agree with you. :) I am having to watch my storage carefully and post my photoshop photos to cloud storage and keep them off my laptop unless needed. I would have loved 256gb of storage and I am predicting the next upgrade to the 11.6" will have that available and the 64gb will be gone next round.

sushi
Nov 6, 2010, 12:06 PM
Frankly, if the 11 inch Ultimate MBA had come with 256GB of storage I'm not sure that I would have been able to resist its appeal, despite wanting my MBA to be an everyday machine.
Interesting.

I still have a couple of years left in my MBP15. When the time comes to upgrade, I will definitely consider an MBA for a replacement -- maybe even the 11 inch model.

gwsat
Nov 6, 2010, 12:31 PM
Interesting.

I still have a couple of years left in my MBP15. When the time comes to upgrade, I will definitely consider an MBA for a replacement -- maybe even the 11 inch model.
I suspect that my superannuated eyes are the main reason for my having even noticed a difference when I moved from a 17 inch display to my MBA's 13 inch. My 17 year old college student grandson has had a 13 inch MBP since last summer and has had not the slightest difficulty dealing with his 13 inch display. The moral of this story is probably that there is no substitute for young eyes.

teski
Nov 6, 2010, 12:43 PM
What's amazing to me about my ultimate 11.6" is that it runs photoshop so well. I am getting better performance out of my cs5 on my ultimate air than I did on my 13" macbook pro (entry level) that I bought last year as my portable computer. I don't even use that macbook pro anymore and am going to sell it, but the performance on the air is much faster with much fewer beach balls when using photoshop and illustrator. :cool:

This is interesting to hear. Are you processing RAW files on your 11.6? I'm getting the 13" but am really interested in the 11 but am worried about screen real estate and processing with it.

milan03
Nov 6, 2010, 12:49 PM
Blame Apple store workers... They call them "ultimates"

They should be the last to blame. LOL. You think all Apple stores "workers" around the world "decided" in unison to call them Ultimate.

a2applegirl
Nov 6, 2010, 12:49 PM
This is interesting to hear. Are you processing RAW files on your 11.6? I'm getting the 13" but am really interested in the 11 but am worried about screen real estate and processing with it.

Yes, I am processing raw files on photoshop cs5, but not storing them on the air once processed. (for obvious reasons. :D) I just switch the view in adobe to zoom out, and then zoom in on sections of the photo. Because of the high resolution of the 11.6" air, I have not had a problem viewing things both up close and at a zoom out to see the "whole effect".:)

milan03
Nov 6, 2010, 12:50 PM
The word Ultimate (maxed out) came from a review from MACWORLD (I belief or other mac review websites.) After that review I guess people started using the word ULTIMATE.
That's wrong.

teski
Nov 6, 2010, 12:51 PM
Yes, I am processing raw files on photoshop cs5, but not storing them on the air once processed. (for obvious reasons. :D) I just switch the view in adobe to zoom out, and then zoom in on sections of the photo. Because of the high resolution of the 11.6" air, I have not had a problem viewing things both up close and at a zoom out to see the "whole effect".:)

Right..I have a Seagate 1TB GoFLex drive so I have plenty of USB storage. :-) Just don't want to be fumbling around on the screen nor getting a bunch of beachballing on every little task I ask it to do. :)

a2applegirl
Nov 6, 2010, 01:03 PM
Right..I have a Seagate 1TB GoFLex drive so I have plenty of USB storage. :-) Just don't want to be fumbling around on the screen nor getting a bunch of beachballing on every little task I ask it to do. :)

I was actually quite surprised at the lack of beachballing on the 11.6" air. I get more beachballing on last years entry level macbook pro (which I have listed on craig's list as of today. :cool:)

I am finding the screen real estate to be plenty as far as a laptop goes. For any intensive job I either hook the air to my external monitor or use my workhorse 15" 17 macbookpro and hook that to the external monitor.

gwsat
Nov 6, 2010, 01:17 PM
That's wrong.
Let me make a comment and then a suggestion about the 11 inch and 13 inch Ultimate. "Ultimate" has become a convenient shorthand here and other places to describe the MBAs with 4GB of RAM, extra cost processors, and upgraded flash RAM. That works for most of us, so why not just live with it? CAVEAT: if you were kidding and I missed it, I apologize in advance, but I interpreted your posts to mean that for whatever reason the "Ultimate" appellation really bothers you.

milan03
Nov 6, 2010, 01:27 PM
Let me make a comment and then a suggestion about the 11 inch and 13 inch Ultimate. "Ultimate" has become a convenient shorthand here and other places to describe the MBAs with 4GB of RAM, extra cost processors, and upgraded flash RAM. That works for most of us, so why not just live with it? CAVEAT: if you were kidding and I missed it, I apologize in advance, but I interpreted your posts to mean that for whatever reason the "Ultimate" appellation really bothers you.
i think you're replying to the wrong post...

Anyhow, just to clarify the whole ongoing nonsense, the ULTIMATE configuration is actually Apple corporate wording sent out to all Retail Stores globally to describe maxed out models of 11.6" and 13.3" MBA. It's certainly not apple retail workers invention (fault), nor Macworld reviewers.

Cheers.

gwsat
Nov 6, 2010, 01:56 PM
i think you're replying to the wrong post...

Anyhow, just to clarify the whole ongoing nonsense, the ULTIMATE configuration is actually Apple corporate wording sent out to all Retail Stores globally to describe maxed out models of 11.6" and 13.3" MBA. It's certainly not apple retail workers invention (fault), nor Macworld reviewers.

Cheers.
Thanks for your clarification. I did intend to reply to your post but that was because I had misinterpreted your meaning. A thousand pardons! I have no idea who first used the word "Ultimate" to describe loaded MBAs but I like it and use it because it's convenient.

a2applegirl
Nov 6, 2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for your clarification. I did intend to reply to your post but that was because I had misinterpreted your meaning. A thousand pardons! I have no idea who first used the word "Ultimate" to describe loaded MBAs but I like it and use it because it's convenient.

I started using it at first, got flamed for it and started typing long sentences to describe my configuration, then said "screw it" and started using the word "ultimate" again to save myself some typing. :cool:

gwsat
Nov 6, 2010, 05:41 PM
I started using it at first, got flamed for it and started typing long sentences to describe my configuration, then said "screw it" and started using the word "ultimate" again to save myself some typing. :cool:
As you have probably intuited, posters who act as if they are the syntax police tend to make me grouchy.:)

koobcamuk
Nov 7, 2010, 08:25 AM

Wouldn't plugging it into say a 24" monitor really help people if they're not on the road? I would get the air solely for those times I am on the road; I don't think I would like to be constantly looking at such a small screen.

a2applegirl
Nov 7, 2010, 11:48 AM
Wouldn't plugging it into say a 24" monitor really help people if they're not on the road? I would get the air solely for those times I am on the road; I don't think I would like to be constantly looking at such a small screen.

Yes, I use a monitor when I can. But if I am not on the road, but am sitting in a local cafe, wanting to work out of the house or office, I don't have access to a monitor. :)

Trakker
May 12, 2011, 06:13 AM
AGREED. LMAO.

It really takes an Apple lover to call a fourth quarter 2010 released Mac with a 1.6 GHz C2D CPU, that has been on the market for over three years, for an "ultimate" anything.

The 'Ultimate' moniker is meant to represent a 'fully upgraded' version of that Mac.

Not the 'Ultimate' Mac but rather the 'Ultimate' in it's class.

Xgm541
May 12, 2011, 08:15 AM
great job on resurrecting a 6 month old thread.

jsgreen
May 12, 2011, 05:52 PM
Its called "Ultimate" because if you throw it like a frisbee it will fly.

happyslayer
May 13, 2011, 12:24 AM
That, my friend, would be one expensive-ass Frisbee!

On another note... Gotta say... I still LOVE my 11.6 "Ultimate" Air!

smugDrew
May 13, 2011, 12:40 AM
Its called "Ultimate" because if you throw it like a frisbee it will fly.

I wondered about that. No where I've seen has Apple badged any of the MBP as 'ultimate' :confused: