Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wassuponline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Hi there.
So I have a problem. Don't know if this is the best place for asking or not but here it goes.

I have a iMac (27") and I use windows 7 on bootcamp to play some games sometimes.
I started using the windows 7 x86 but because it only detects 3Gb of memory I had to switch to windows 7 x64. Now it detects the full 4Gb but I can't install my games. It says something like "check if the program is a 32bits or 64bits".
I use a virtual drive to install the games.

Can someone help me figure this out please?
Thanks in advance.

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
I've been running Win7 64 on my i7 iMac for a while now. I have had the error you describe only once in that time, and I have installed a lot of games. I've seen other people post about it as well, for various titles, and have never come across a real solution ie. things that sound plausible but nothing that actually worked.

Since you mention virtual drives, I should probably note - some software doesn't like some virtual drive software, and of course backups of software, legit or otherwise, may cause all sorts of strange problems.

If you are wanting to confirm that your Windows install is actually operating properly and there's nothing funky going on at a basic level, I'd suggest trying to install a game from a regular old-fashioned DVD, if you have one around, and see what happens.

On the general implied question, "Can an i7 iMac use Windows 7 64 properly", the answer is "Yes".

wassuponline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
I've tried several games and I'm only getting errors on some of them. For example fallout 3 and darksiders I can't install, but burnout paradise and prototype I had no problems... I don't know what's wrong. :(

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
Well, I have installed fallout 3 successfully on win7 64 on an iMac. So don't know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.