Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bzn8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
I have received my maxed out macbook air last week and did not even think about checking for dead or stuck pixels (not like my led TV which I had to return several times) until this article about Apple's policy was posted on MacRumors.

That made me curious and I began starting to look for anomalies which resulted in finding 1 dead pixel on the lower left part of my screen.

Of course now it is bugging me and I am really thinking about returning it because of the money I have spent on it.

Should I call the AppleCare first or go straight to the store? Would they even consider replacing the unit granting they have one in stock?

itommyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Titletown USA
Target fixation can be dangerous. Try running some pixel fixing software first may be all you need. Best chance you have at a return with only one bad is probably at the :apple:store.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
if the policy holds true, then you would need to have more than 3 dead pixels for an exchange. but I'm pretty sure you can still return the computer and get your money back and repurchase.

bzn8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
I have an appointment at the Apple store tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. I have also checked with them about the availability of the MBA 13 configuration I have and they did confirm they have it in stock. Hopefully they will exchange it otherwise I'll return it and buy another one.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
if the policy holds true, then you would need to have more than 3 dead pixels for an exchange. but I'm pretty sure you can still return the computer and get your money back and repurchase.
If they're being strict about not fixing it under warranty, then they're probably not going to waive the 10% restock fee if he tries to return it.

Hopefully they aren't dicks!

bzn8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
If they're being strict about not fixing it under warranty, then they're probably not going to waive the 10% restock fee if he tries to return it.

Hopefully they aren't dicks!

Wow. Is $189 worth having my MBA free of pixel defects? I would say yes. But not if I have already spent close to $2000 for it. Should I act like I know nothing about pixels and I just see a black spot that looks like a piece of crap stuck behind my screen?

I am also thinking about bringing some colored backgrounds to check if the next one has any defect. Would they allow me to do that? Of course I won't be able to play dumb about my ignorance of pixels.

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
Wow. Is $189 worth having my MBA free of pixel defects? I would say yes. But not if I have already spent close to $2000 for it. Should I act like I know nothing about pixels and I just see a black spot that looks like a piece of crap stuck behind my screen?

I am also thinking about bringing some colored backgrounds to check if the next one has any defect. Would they allow me to do that? Of course I won't be able to play dumb about my ignorance of pixels.

At this point you should do a return..you have already noticed it and it will bug you forever. The software fixes don't work. Apple will not charge you a restocking fee. Yes, they have a policy but the staff has lots of discretion in applying that restocking fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.