PDA

View Full Version : 2 GB is stupid Apple

DarwinOSX
Nov 3, 2010, 08:00 PM
The standard config of 2 GB is stupid. All other Apple laptops ship with 4 GB, you have to pay another $100 for 4 on the Air, and it means BTO only for 4GB, and no retailers, including Apple stores, have them in stock. Idiotic and annoying. I would have had a loaded 13" already if not for this foolishness.

Stetrain
Nov 3, 2010, 08:21 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

There have been lots of threads around here about the fact that Apple stores are carrying loaded versions of the MBA at retail, both 11" and 13" versions. It does seem to vary by area a bit but lots of stores have them.

ingramLee
Nov 3, 2010, 08:26 PM
Make a thread about it.

OceanView
Nov 3, 2010, 08:32 PM
Agreed, just another way to milk another $100 from us fan boys.

highscheme
Nov 3, 2010, 08:34 PM
stupid is a strong word and I don't think you really mean it

mac jones
Nov 3, 2010, 08:50 PM
Doesn't bother me

BTW, is this forum slow tonight of what?

Mike225
Nov 3, 2010, 09:05 PM
stupid is a strong word and I don't think you really mean it

Is this a serious post? :o

Bluemeanie1976
Nov 3, 2010, 09:59 PM
Doesn't bother me

BTW, is this forum slow tonight of what?

Yup... Slower than a slow thing, in a bag of slow things, from Slowsville, USA.

drjsway
Nov 3, 2010, 10:36 PM
All other Apple laptops ship with 4GB

Not true. Every Mac that starts at under $1,000 is 2GB.

kp98077
Nov 3, 2010, 11:27 PM
The standard config of 2 GB is stupid. All other Apple laptops ship with 4 GB, you have to pay another $100 for 4 on the Air, and it means BTO only for 4GB, and no retailers, including Apple stores, have them in stock. Idiotic and annoying. I would have had a loaded 13" already if not for this foolishness.

My lord, if i keep seeing post like this i may vomit! lol
honestly, you all need to understand that the 2gb is not equivalent to other mac or any pc models for that matter. $100 is NOT that much money for most any mac customer. Everyone knows that apple can make a lot of money from these $100 upgrades even thought you don't even need it!

snorkelman
Nov 4, 2010, 01:02 AM
2 gig as a BTO to deliver on the headline price point and 4 gig as the base configs in shops might have been a better option

sushi
Nov 4, 2010, 01:12 AM
Personally, I think 2GB is enough for the MBA 11, which is basically Apple's NetBook.

Now don't get me wrong, 4GB would have been great. My guess is that we'll see 4GB as standard at the next update.

1appleAday
Nov 4, 2010, 01:40 AM
2 gig as a BTO to deliver on the headline price point and 4 gig as the base configs in shops might have been a better option

LOL best suggestion ever :D

Scottsdale
Nov 4, 2010, 06:27 AM
I think it's smarter to offer a $999 base price so using 2 GB RAM allowed that... while a $1099 starting MBA with 4 GB RAM seems like a higher price to all. This way Apple isn't forcing people to spend $1099 if they don't need 4 GB RAM.

I think it was a great move. The only problem arrises when stores don't have them in stock with multiple configurations, but it sounds like Apple is trying its darndest to keep all of them in stock.

When I went to the Apple store a week after they were introduced, I saw six people leaving with MBAs in less than 20 minutes. They had all four configurations in stock also... 2 GB RAM 11" for $999 and ultimate 11" and 2 GB RAM 13" and ultimate 13" MBAs. I think these MBAs are selling better than ever and I think that's because it seems like a great price at $999, although most will spend more when they get to the store.

I think Apple knows its market better than us Mac lovers. $999 for a Mac seems like an anomaly anyways.

maflynn
Nov 4, 2010, 07:07 AM
The standard config of 2 GB is stupid.

Personally, I think 2GB is enough for the MBA 11, which is basically Apple's NetBook.

I have a dell mini 10v hackintosh and a mac mini both have 2gb of ram and to be honest, I've not had any issues with paging or performance. Granted in both cases, I'm doing "normal" work. Office apps, surfing, emailing and letting my kids use the computer for education software.

I'm NOT running vmware, photoshop, aperture or other demanding apps. 2GB for the 11" MBA is not stupid as it will suffice for the majority of the needs. Apple also provides an option to get the 4GB so instead of whining about 2GB, just buy the 4GB model

rhinosrcool
Nov 4, 2010, 07:29 AM

So true.

sikkinixx
Nov 4, 2010, 08:41 AM
I would have liked the 128GB version of the 11" to have 4GB standard. I would have bought one yesterday in store if that was the case :(

netdog
Nov 4, 2010, 08:45 AM
Most people will be just fine with 2GB.

Argon21
Nov 4, 2010, 09:11 AM
x2, this is small and light ultraportable. You don't use for Photoshop, or Final Cut. You use for reading emails, web browsings, and watching videos. For those casual computer tasks, 2 GB of memory is plenty.

I know, I have a brand new Mac Mini that came with 2 GB. It's attached to TV in my living room, and used for the these casual tasks. It works great, no slowness, I'm glad I didn't waste money upgrading to 4 GB.

hcho3
Nov 4, 2010, 09:32 AM

I agree with some of your points, but you are misleading people by giving away wrong information.

1. Macbook still comes with 2GB ram. It doesn't come with 4GB. White macbook is not part of MBA line up. You said all other apple laptops. Wrong information!
2. I agree with 13 inch should have 4GB, but 11 inch is different story. MBA is so thin and it is thinner than any netbooks. Most of netbooks still don't come with 4GB.

3. If you whining about price, you are paying for a brand and performance in laptop that is so slim and thin.

darngooddesign
Nov 4, 2010, 11:03 AM
Would you rather they came with 4 stock but cost 100 more than they do now?

opera57
Nov 4, 2010, 11:41 AM
I have the previous gen air with "just" 2GB ram and I really don't find it any sort of a limitation. For most users using it to create documents, do work, browse the internet, watch movies and listen to music, 2gb is more than enough. I agree 4GB is a must for some users, which is why Apple give the option.. but why force everyone to have 4GB which they might not use and increase the base price of the machine? http://scottty.com/imgs/signature_silverapple.jpg

Roofy.
Nov 4, 2010, 01:30 PM
http://www.macmemory.com/ItemDescription.asp?Item=MBP4G

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=F27D0DCDA5CA7304

I don't really see the fuss. It looks like the average price for 4 gigs in a macbook is more than the $100 that you would have to spend from Apple.

RanEnRui
Nov 4, 2010, 02:11 PM
2GB for the Air is not only economical, it's quite ample. Any owner of previous MBA revisions will say they never really cared for more RAM but rather a better hard drive.

Being that Mac OS X is based on Linux, it's much better able handling memory management. Not only that, but with there being no spinning, slower hard drive, any bit over 2GB that might be used as swap space will not be NEARLY as slow.

I'm not sure how fast RAM is compared to a flash memory hard disk as this, but I'm willing to be it's 70% as fast. That means when you do tide over 2GB of RAM, the computer will slow down a tad but nothing terribly noticeable. Most people won't exceed that limit anyhow and those that do already know to upgrade to 4GB.

Apple is trying to make the Air affordable to all walks of earth. The point is being minimalistic (physically and hardware-wise). For most applications you are not going to maxing out the CPU/RAM, so why include that much by default? If you think you're going to need it, upgrade.

What always amuses me is that if Apple had made it 4GB standard and added $100 the price tag there would be a bunch of people saying "I wish I could get it for a tad cheaper." Obviously, they can't please everyone.

snorkelman
Nov 4, 2010, 02:16 PM
could still have made a 2gig 999 version but left it as a BTO, folks go into the shop or order online they have to wait a week for their 2 gig $999 version

Folks go in for the 4 gig they walk out the door with it in their hand (and a good chance a number of those looking for the 999 base config think "ah what the hell its to sexy to wait a week, lets have some instant gratification" and walk out the door with a 4 gig ram model too..

wirelessmacuser
Nov 4, 2010, 02:17 PM
I could not agree more... I know they certainly got my $100

There is _no way_ I would have bought such a nice computer with a measly 2GB of ram.

It might be fine for today, but tomorrow and out a year from now, I'm sure I will find I'm using it more than I anticipated.

At that point I will be very glad I maxed out the ram with a CTO order and the wait.

Now that I have it, I can forget about the wait and just enjoy it.

Cheers... :)

archurban
Nov 4, 2010, 04:58 PM

you know why? they should make reasonable price for customers. if they put 4GB, 128GB SSD, NVIDIA 320M 512MB graphic card, then you can't afford it. it would be well over $1400 without tax (for 11.6 inch not 13 inch). if you still consider to buy it with that money, I think you are stupid. don't know about economy. it doesn't matter whether you want ultraportable or not. because all macbooks are very portable, lighter than other pc laptops. the basic model is magic price.

rhinosrcool
Nov 5, 2010, 11:47 AM
To those of you who did, will, or would have purchased the 2gb models even if the 4gb models were available, I say good decision. For most daily tasks, 2gb is fine.

To those of you who purchased the 2gb model but really want the 4gb model, I say bad decison. For a 4gb model, to not be able to wait a couple of weeks is pretty sad.

I predict many more 2gb models than 4gb models on ebay. Also, in 3months or so, a 2gb or 4gb refurb or ebay model may be in the budget:D We'll see...

gwsat
Nov 5, 2010, 12:11 PM
I thought Apple made a wise marketing decision in offering base model MBAs with 2GB of RAM but including an option to up the RAM to 4GB for only $100. First, those folks who want an 11 inch MBA to use as an iPad substitute don't need 4GB of RAM. Second, even those who do need more RAM can buy it for a modest, by Apple's standards, $100. Finally and most important, the inclusion of flash storage on all new MBAs was a game changer. Flash storage is exponentially faster than even the fastest conventional hard drive. This means that even if you do use apps that are memory hungry enough to create a swap file, even the Page Outs, which used to be a performance killer, mean little or nothing with flash storage.

alflavor
Nov 5, 2010, 12:37 PM
Mirroring other positive comments, I too am more than happy with 2GB in mine. I can see the point of some comments wanting 4GB in readiness for bigger and better software, OS etc, but personally I typically upgrade every two years, so for me I'm happy, and it's running like a dream!

netdog
Nov 5, 2010, 12:42 PM
x2, this is small and light ultraportable. You don't use for Photoshop, or Final Cut. You use for reading emails, web browsings, and watching videos. For those casual computer tasks, 2 GB of memory is plenty.

I know, I have a brand new Mac Mini that came with 2 GB. It's attached to TV in my living room, and used for the these casual tasks. It works great, no slowness, I'm glad I didn't waste money upgrading to 4 GB.

While I bought the 4GB model this time around, it was replacing a 2GB Revision B and I never had RAM issues.

I routinely ran VMWARE with XP, Safari, Mail, Preview, Pages, iTunes and MSN Messenger at the same time, and often added things like iPhoto on top of that stack. Never was RAM a constraint. It was the stepping that drove me mad.

ufkdo
Nov 5, 2010, 12:47 PM
2 GB of RAM is enough for MBA since it has only one RAM slot. There are thousands of people who don't want to pay extra $100. If standard configuration were 4 GB, prices would be $100 expensive ;)

rhinosrcool
Nov 5, 2010, 01:40 PM
I could not agree more... I know they certainly got my $100

There is _no way_ I would have bought such a nice computer with a measly 2GB of ram.

It might be fine for today, but tomorrow and out a year from now, I'm sure I will find I'm using it more than I anticipated.

At that point I will be very glad I maxed out the ram with a CTO order and the wait.

Now that I have it, I can forget about the wait and just enjoy it.

Cheers... :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that you had the screen flickering issue, and since you had other computers, you weren't going to return it but wait for a software update? That's not my view of just enjoying it.