PDA

View Full Version : MBA screen quality

tim100
Nov 4, 2010, 08:34 AM
How would you compare the mba screen quality to the mbp?

appleinsider seems to way in its review that the mbp was a higher quality screen (but mbp has lower res)

http://dum5.appleinsider.com/articles/10/10/30/review_apples_new_11_6_inch_and_13_3_inch_macbook_air_late_2010.html&page=3#design

AppleGoddess
Nov 4, 2010, 08:38 AM
I think it's much better and crisp.

tim100
Nov 4, 2010, 09:53 AM
anyone else have any opinions?

neteng101
Nov 4, 2010, 10:15 AM
Contrast ratio is superb on the MBA, but consensus seems to be its lower in color gamut compared to the MBP so there's less detail between tones. Not so great for color critical work, excellent for everything else.

AppleGoddess
Nov 4, 2010, 10:24 AM
anyone else have any opinions?
Give it some time my friend.

drjsway
Nov 4, 2010, 11:52 AM
Screen quality from best to worst, 2010 models:

1. 13" MacBook Air
2. 15" MacBook Pro High-Res/17" MacBook Pro
3. 11.6" MacBook Air
4. 15" MacBook Pro (1440x900)
5. 13" MacBook Pro
6. white MacBook

1-4 are all amazing. 5 is satisfactory. 6 is pretty bad.

tim100
Nov 4, 2010, 05:44 PM

1. 13" MacBook Air
3. 11.6" MacBook Air
5. 13" MacBook Pro
6. white MacBook

you think the 13 air has the best screen? you think the 13 air is better than the 11?

macbook123
Nov 5, 2010, 01:25 AM
There are at least two different 13.3" displays, one titled 9CF0 and the other 9CDF. I have the 9CF0 and think the contrast is horrid. Looks like I'm staring at it through fog. 9CDF seems better according to the reviews here and presumably it was also the one Anandtech reviewed and gave good grades.

pfjellman
Nov 5, 2010, 01:42 AM
MBA screen is better than MBP.

macbook123
Nov 5, 2010, 02:07 AM
MBA screen is better than MBP.

Which of the various 11.6 and 13.3 screens are you referring to? Can't generalize so easily...

bcaslis
Nov 5, 2010, 02:10 AM
There are at least two different 13.3" displays, one titled 9CF0 and the other 9CDF. I have the 9CF0 and think the contrast is horrid. Looks like I'm staring at it through fog. 9CDF seems better according to the reviews here and presumably it was also the one Anandtech reviewed and gave good grades.

Looking at it through fog? Geez, I have the same display and yours is either damaged or that's a huge exaggeration.

Scottsdale
Nov 5, 2010, 02:14 AM

1. 13" MacBook Air
3. 11.6" MacBook Air
5. 13" MacBook Pro
6. white MacBook

I pretty much agree with you, although I would move the 11.6" MBA down the list... I love the new 13" MBA's display.

wirelessmacuser
Nov 5, 2010, 02:39 AM
I pretty much agree with you, although I would move the 11.6" MBA down the list... I love the new 13" MBA's display.

I concur exactly.

RobNor
Nov 5, 2010, 03:00 AM
The contrast on my 9CF0 is very good blacks are very black in fact it somerimes makes the screen feel a little too dark

tim100
Nov 5, 2010, 05:12 AM

what makes the 13 inch air a better screen (other than res) than the 11? also you believe the 13 air is better than the pro screen?

ImperialX
Nov 5, 2010, 06:56 AM
It depends on whether you like the MBP's glass panel. I personally think the MBA has a splendid screen, high pixel density.

nylon
Nov 5, 2010, 06:58 AM
1. MBA has better pixel density/resolution given the size of the display.

2. MBP (all models) have better colour gamut.

tim100
Nov 5, 2010, 07:45 AM
1. MBA has better pixel density/resolution given the size of the display.

2. MBP (all models) have better colour gamut.

1. how do the MBA compare to high res BTO MBP re: pixel density and res

2. how important is color gamut

neteng101
Nov 5, 2010, 07:54 AM
MacBook Air (2010) 11.6" (Widescreen) 1366768 135
MacBook Air (2010) 13.3" (Widescreen) 1440900 128
MacBook, MacBook Pro 13.3" (Widescreen) 1280800 113
MacBook Pro 15.4" (Widescreen) 1440900 110
MacBook Pro 15.4" (Widescreen) 16801050 128
MacBook Pro 17" (Widescreen) 19201200 132

The pixel density of the MBA and the hi-res 15/17" MBPs is pretty comparable, but the resolutions are different. Pixel density isn't much of a consideration really for selecting the MBA or MBP (unless you want much lower pixel density for less eye strain). The 13/15" regular screen has much less pixel density.

Color gamut is important to professionals that work with graphics, especially for post-production (ie. end result will be printed, not just online consumption) purposes. Otherwise, it allows you to see more tone detail in images on the screen.

macbook123
Nov 5, 2010, 08:14 AM

Which 13.3" display, 9CF0 or 9CDF?

unagimiyagi
Nov 5, 2010, 11:02 AM

1. 13" MacBook Air
3. 11.6" MacBook Air
5. 13" MacBook Pro
6. white MacBook

I do not agree with this at all.

RELATIVE to the rest of the notebook industry, ALL Apple screens from 2010 onward are in the top 1%. The white macbook which is ranked last here actually had as good if not better specs than the macbook air's (2nd generation). Actually it may be the same screen.

The 11.6" mba's screen is actually the "worst". But that's not saying much, b/c it's like being the dumbest kid at Stanford. Still a pretty smart kid relative to everyone else.

I like the high-gamut screens, so I'd knock down the macbook air's screens now since they are not high-gamut.

The only notebook screen in mass production that can compare currently are the high-end Sonys, but only in their highest end ($2000) models. There are a few 15.6" dell xps high-res models and lenovo models that have a good screen...but my point is that you can now buy any Apple laptop and know that you're getting a screen that is in the top 1%. In case anyone cares, Lenovo uses the worst screens of any manufacturer (I give them the nod b/c their thinkpads use worse screens than many netbooks, yet they still charge exorbitantly high prices). Use a bad screen, fine. But make the price commensurate. You incur my wrath when you dare pass of a premium notebook with a bottom-of-the-barrel screen.

All in all, for a discriminating buyer who values: screen, ergonomics, and battery life, and is willing to pay a bit more for it, I don't see how anyone could conclude anything other than Apple's laptops as the right choice. When you throw in weight, thinness, and aesthetics, the gap widens considerably.

I think that it's more true that once you get used to a mac, going back to a different laptop is harder. As long as you don't taste what you're missing, you're fine.

entatlrg
Nov 5, 2010, 11:30 AM

1. 13" MacBook Air
3. 11.6" MacBook Air
5. 13" MacBook Pro
6. white MacBook

That's a bang on assessment!

iRun26.2
Nov 5, 2010, 11:58 AM
How do the new 11.6" and 13.3" screens compare to the older MBA screen? Does anyone know if there were any upgrades in the original from initial release until Rev. C?

I want to know if my 11.6" screen (on order...not yet here) will be better than my old MBA.

foodle
Nov 5, 2010, 12:00 PM
Anandtech's review has a comparison with, like, you know, data n' stuff :D
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3991/apples-2010-macbook-air-11-13inch-reviewed/5

fyrefly
Nov 5, 2010, 12:10 PM
How do the new 11.6" and 13.3" screens compare to the older MBA screen? Does anyone know if there were any upgrades in the original from initial release until Rev. C?

I want to know if my 11.6" screen (on order...not yet here) will be better than my old MBA.

The RevA MBA screens were awesome in their time. Not sure how they compare to the current MBA screens, but I've played with an 11" MBA and a 13" MBA and the screens on them (the 13" was the 9CF0 aka "the crappier one") were not as good as I think my RevB MBA is.

And certainly nowhere near the panels in the MBP's. At least IMHO. I'd take the better colour gamut over the low-colour, compensated with high contrast screens in the MBA any day.

I've had eye-strain HUGE on the new 11" and 13" MBA. Never on my 15" MBP or my RevB Air. The high-rez of the new screens might be a factor too... Especially on the 11" - the text is SO SMALL! :D

netdog
Nov 5, 2010, 12:11 PM
My 13" MBA screen is every bit the equal to my Mid 2009 MBP 17.

In terms of precise color matching, my understanding is that the MBA is not as good however. But for everyday use, it's just as good.

skcrane
Nov 5, 2010, 12:30 PM
any one have any comments on the macbook air 13 inch versus the macbook pro 15 inch screen, as far as quality, real estate, which you would prefer, etc..

gwsat
Nov 5, 2010, 12:35 PM
I have the 9CDF screen on my 13 inch MBA, not that I would ever have know that was what I had if I had not read this thread. Anyway, among the many things I like about my MBA, the quality of its display has been a particular delight.

macbook123
Nov 5, 2010, 12:36 PM
Anandtech's review has a comparison with, like, you know, data n' stuff :D
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3991/apples-2010-macbook-air-11-13inch-reviewed/5

Unfortunately without data on which display models their MBA's had!

pfjellman
Nov 5, 2010, 12:59 PM
i have the 13" MacBook Air and after using it for a week when I go back to my 15" MacBook Pro the screen looks clunky, dull, and bulky. the resolution is far better on my MBA. i don't know how to check which "version" of the screen i have.

Fuchal
Nov 5, 2010, 01:09 PM
In terms of brightness, my MBP 15 looks really dim compared to my 11" MBA and 27" iMac

drjsway
Nov 5, 2010, 01:11 PM
you think the 13 air has the best screen? you think the 13 air is better than the 11?

To me, contrast and black/white levels are the most important and the thing most noticeable to casual viewers. Color gamut, on the other hand, is imperceptible to an untrained eye and only noticeable when viewing colorful images.

Out of all the MacBooks, the new 13" MBA has the highest contrast and the lowest black level.

The white macbook which is ranked last here actually had as good if not better specs than the macbook air's (2nd generation). Actually it may be the same screen

I disagree. The MacBook Air (both first and second generation) has a far more superior screen than the white MacBook, to the point where it's not even comparable.

gwsat
Nov 5, 2010, 01:15 PM
i have the 13" MacBook Air and after using it for a week when I go back to my 15" MacBook Pro the screen looks clunky, dull, and bulky. the resolution is far better on my MBA. i don't know how to check which "version" of the screen i have.
Open Display Preferences. Click on Color, highlight the top Display Profile, Color LCD, and click Open Profile. Scroll to the last item on the list, Apple display make and model information. Look at the information displayed below the list and you will see the model number of your display.

macbook123
Nov 5, 2010, 02:31 PM
Out of all the MacBooks, the new 13" MBA has the highest contrast and the lowest black level.

You can not generalize this unless you have looked at all different displays used in the new Air's. For example, 9CF0 and 9CDF in the 13.3" seem to be very different. Also, we don't know and will never know which one Anandtech tested, as their review is incomplete in this regard. The black level on my 9CF0 is not very good, definitely not as good as my 2009 17" MBP.

iRun26.2
Nov 5, 2010, 02:44 PM
In terms of brightness, my MBP 15 looks really dim compared to my 11" MBA and 27" iMac

What screen do you have? Where did you buy your MBA?

Thanks! :)

pfjellman
Nov 5, 2010, 03:25 PM
I have the 9CF0 model, and it's much better than my 15" MacBook Pro. Easily comparable (in quality, not resolution obviously) to an ASUS 24" and an HP 24" monitor, both of which are high dollar high contrast monitors hooked up to my Mac Pro with a Radeon HD4870 (1GB VRAM) card. Nothing like "looking through a thick fog"

Open Display Preferences. Click on Color, highlight the top Display Profile, Color LCD, and click Open Profile. Scroll to the last item on the list, Apple display make and model information. Look at the information displayed below the list and you will see the model number of your display.

Fuchal
Nov 5, 2010, 04:09 PM
What screen do you have? Where did you buy your MBA?

Thanks! :)

I have a 9CF2 in my 11"... I got it exchanged from the Apple Store

SamTheeGeek
Nov 5, 2010, 04:16 PM
hmm good question, today i made a comparison video on boot up time and i saw both screens of my 2010 mbp and 2010 mba, i for one didnt notice any difference. They both look beautiful in my opinion. :)

Pipper99
Nov 5, 2010, 05:36 PM
Which 13.3" display, 9CF0 or 9CDF?

Where do you find this info?

macbook123
Nov 5, 2010, 05:54 PM
Is it too much to ask to go back three posts in the thread before posting a question that has already been answered?

gwsat
Nov 5, 2010, 08:38 PM
Where do you find this info?
In an attempt to dispel the notion that too many posters would rather criticize than answer a simple question with a simple answer let me answer yours: See Post #33.

milan03
Nov 5, 2010, 08:50 PM
Sorry, but putting MBA's display in front of any MBP AntiGlare, especially 15" HR/AG is straight up laughable.
How is the terrible contrast on MBA working for ya so far? Seriously, and be honest, of course if you've ever seen HR/AG MBP before.

Pipper99
Nov 5, 2010, 09:44 PM
Is it too much to ask to go back three posts in the thread before posting a question that has already been answered?

Yes, it's too much to ask.:mad:

I did look for the answer prior to posting, and I somehow missed it. I guess I was skimming too fast. I beg your forgiveness. After I posted my question, I saw the answer and I tried to delete my post unsuccessfully. I really do try to be careful with my questions, but there's always someone ready to pounce if you mess up.

Pipper99
Nov 5, 2010, 09:45 PM
In an attempt to dispel the notion that too many posters would rather criticize than answer a simple question with a simple answer let me answer yours: See Post #33.

Thank you, sir, I appreciate your kindness. :)

macbook123
Nov 6, 2010, 01:54 AM

I did look for the answer prior to posting, and I somehow missed it. I guess I was skimming too fast. I beg your forgiveness. After I posted my question, I saw the answer and I tried to delete my post unsuccessfully. I really do try to be careful with my questions, but there's always someone ready to pounce if you mess up.

I apologize for coming across bitchy...:o

Did it work out for you, i.e. did you get the information you wanted (hope I didn't miss your post telling us your model...:rolleyes:)

happyslayer
Nov 6, 2010, 01:59 AM
Compared to my RevB 13/3" Air with 1200x800 screen, my 11.6 is just plain amazing. Very, very crisp. I write on it for hours at a time and I truly love it.

Admittedly, I don't do much of anything with photos other than change my desktop every couple days, but when I do it looks very crisp and nice!

So compared to my old Air and most any PC laptop I have worked on...

11.6 Screen is best so far!

tim100
Nov 6, 2010, 11:18 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Sorry, but putting MBA's display in front of any MBP AntiGlare, especially 15" HR/AG is straight up laughable.
How is the terrible contrast on MBA working for ya so far? Seriously, and be honest, of course if you've ever seen HR/AG MBP before.

ok how does it compare to mbp glossy

milan03
Nov 6, 2010, 11:24 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

ok how does it compare to mbp glossy

The PPI on MBA is looking gorgeous, but I believe the panel on MBP glossy is still superior. For some reason MBA's contrast doesn't impress me at all. Everything looks a bit dimmer and not nearly as color rich as MBPs glossy. It is definitely a different panel, coating, as well as the process of putting the display together.

gwsat
Nov 6, 2010, 12:54 PM
The PPI on MBA is looking gorgeous, but I believe the panel on MBP glossy is still superior. For some reason MBA's contrast doesn't impress me at all. Everything looks a bit dimmer and not nearly as color rich as MBPs glossy. It is definitely a different panel, coating, as well as the process of putting the display together.
I detest all of the MBP's glass covered displays because they all have horrible reflection problems. Although the MBAs are not as immune to reflection difficulties as the premium matte screens, they are far better in this regard than any glass covered display I have used, especially my iPad's, whose reflections make me crazy.

milan03
Nov 6, 2010, 12:57 PM
I detest all of the MBP's glass covered displays because they all have horrible reflection problems. Although the MBAs are not as immune to reflection difficulties as the premium matte screens, they are far better in this regard than any glass covered display I have used, especially my iPad's, whose reflections make me crazy.

The semi glossy coating that's been applied on MBA's could be the reason why they look a bit dimmer and lower in contrast than MBP's. I catch myself pressing brightness button on the keyboard all the time when on MBA.

gwsat
Nov 6, 2010, 01:43 PM
The semi glossy coating that's been applied on MBA's could be the reason why they look a bit dimmer and lower in contrast than MBP's. I catch myself pressing brightness button on the keyboard all the time when on MBA.
I have seen no indication that either the antireflective coating on the MBAs' screens or the matte screens on MBPs have any negative impact on brightness and contrast. I have seen the claim that glass covered glossy screens somehow have better brightness and contrast but I haven't seen it. Part of that is no doubt owed to my admitted hostility toward the highly reflective nature of glass covered displays. If a display with an antireflective coating does have slightly reduced brightness and contrast, it seems to me that it is a small price to pay to avoid the highly distracting reflections caused by all glass covered displays.

milan03
Nov 6, 2010, 02:09 PM
I have seen no indication that either the antireflective coating on the MBAs' screens or the matte screens on MBPs have any negative impact on brightness and contrast. I have seen the claim that glass covered glossy screens somehow have better brightness and contrast but I haven't seen it.
Well I'm looking at them all everyday.

GDOX316
Nov 6, 2010, 02:26 PM
funny. I took my air in to the apple store today. End of story... im getting a new replacement since my 13" had 3 pressure points on the screen. Hopefully i can get a speed bump or ssd bump for my problem.
supposedly i was the first one to bring in a new air at my apple store.

N3ox
Nov 6, 2010, 03:39 PM
I come from a 13" MBP last gen and now have the 13" MBA.

Displays are really close !

I'd say MBP's just a little better, I mean, more comfortable in terms of contrast / brightness... But the MBA's black is a little darker. It's really no big deal...

Btw, this profile made my MBA's screen look much better : http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=258155&d=1288551402

iRun26.2
Nov 6, 2010, 03:40 PM
Unfortunately without data on which display models their MBA's had!

But it is also nice to know (have read) that there is at least one nice person who simply gave you the answer without the insult. :)

(thanks to gwsat!)

gwsat
Nov 6, 2010, 03:53 PM
But it is also nice to know (have read) that there is at least one nice person who simply gave you the answer without the insult. :)

(thanks to gwsat!)
You are welcome! I decided a long tome ago to do what I could to help the recipient of a gratuitous "Gotcha!" post take the sting out of it. In fairness to the "Gotcha!" poster, I should remind everybody that once he saw he had offended Pipper99, he posted a gracious apology. Thus, all's well that ends well, so we are all once again one big happy family.:)

iRun26.2
Nov 6, 2010, 04:59 PM
You are welcome! I decided a long tome ago to do what I could to help the recipient of a gratuitous "Gotcha!" post take the sting out of it. In fairness to the "Gotcha!" poster, I should remind everybody that once he saw he had offended Pipper99, he posted a gracious apology. Thus, all's well that ends well, so we are all once again one big happy family.:)

I saw the apology and I thought that was great!

macbook123
Nov 6, 2010, 05:21 PM
I come from a 13" MBP last gen and now have the 13" MBA.

Displays are really close !

I'd say MBP's just a little better, I mean, more comfortable in terms of contrast / brightness... But the MBA's black is a little darker. It's really no big deal...

Btw, this profile made my MBA's screen look much better : http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=258155&d=1288551402

Which display model do you have?

johnnymg
Nov 6, 2010, 06:03 PM
To me, contrast and black/white levels are the most important and the thing most noticeable to casual viewers. Color gamut, on the other hand, is imperceptible to an untrained eye and only noticeable when viewing colorful images.

I disagree. The MacBook Air (both first and second generation) has a far more superior screen than the white MacBook, to the point where it's not even comparable.

We have one white MB and it's display is absolutely horrid! It will be bye-bye as soon as the MBA arrives. :)

Where do you find the display # on the new MBA?

JohnG

LouieSamman
Nov 6, 2010, 07:18 PM
I'm loving the sharpness of the MacBook Air screen.

Truly better looking than the MBP because of more screen resolution and the small screen.

The text is condensed with the high resolution on a small screen so everything looks amazing!

macbook123
Nov 6, 2010, 08:39 PM
Where do you find the display # on the new MBA?

JohnG

Was answered just a few posts before yours:

N3ox
Nov 7, 2010, 05:28 AM
Which display model do you have?

I have 9CF0 screen.

EDIT: colors on MBP's are quite better in fact.

Adidas Addict
Nov 7, 2010, 08:19 AM
My 13 MBA has screen 9CDF, no compaints here, other that it burns my retina at full brightness :D

aberrero
Nov 8, 2010, 07:58 PM
I thought it was good, until I went back to my iPad. The MBA display just totally sucks in comparison. Putting it up next to the iPad or my IPS desktop it just sucks. The colors are not as saturated nor as accurate as the other displays, and the difference side by side is pretty startling.

It does the job, and it is pretty nice in that it isn't overly glossy and has good contrast and pixel density, but I would never use it for photo editing. It just isn't anywhere near as good as an IPS display, or the MBP displays.

Pipper99
Nov 8, 2010, 09:06 PM
I apologize for coming across bitchy...:o

Did it work out for you, i.e. did you get the information you wanted (hope I didn't miss your post telling us your model...:rolleyes:)

Thank you so much! That's very gracious of you. My apologies for getting so miffed. :) I'll try to read the posts more carefully before I rush a question. I did find the model: 9CF0. I went to the Apple store and looked at every MBA 13", and it seemed to be an even split between the two models. I couldn't detect a color or quality difference between either model, but that's not saying much considering my tired eyes. At least, I won't notice. :)

Pipper99
Nov 8, 2010, 09:09 PM

(thanks to gwsat!)

Yes, and I do appreciate it. :)

BENJMNS
Nov 8, 2010, 09:13 PM
I thought it was good, until I went back to my iPad. The MBA display just totally sucks in comparison. Putting it up next to the iPad or my IPS desktop it just sucks. The colors are not as saturated nor as accurate as the other displays, and the difference side by side is pretty startling.

It does the job, and it is pretty nice in that it isn't overly glossy and has good contrast and pixel density, but I would never use it for photo editing. It just isn't anywhere near as good as an IPS display, or the MBP displays.

ipad? are u joking?

the mba 13 screen is the best laptop screen i've ever seen. it's strikes that perfect balance between glossy and matte. it's a semi-glossy or hyper-matte. :D

i had the mbp 13 new... pales in comparison to the tightness of the mba 13.

unreal. but hey it's your opinion.

iViking
Nov 8, 2010, 09:50 PM
I do not agree with this at all.

RELATIVE to the rest of the notebook industry, ALL Apple screens from 2010 onward are in the top 1%. The white macbook which is ranked last here actually had as good if not better specs than the macbook air's (2nd generation). Actually it may be the same screen.

The 11.6" mba's screen is actually the "worst". But that's not saying much, b/c it's like being the dumbest kid at Stanford. Still a pretty smart kid relative to everyone else.

I like the high-gamut screens, so I'd knock down the macbook air's screens now since they are not high-gamut.

The only notebook screen in mass production that can compare currently are the high-end Sonys, but only in their highest end ($2000) models. There are a few 15.6" dell xps high-res models and lenovo models that have a good screen...but my point is that you can now buy any Apple laptop and know that you're getting a screen that is in the top 1%. In case anyone cares, Lenovo uses the worst screens of any manufacturer (I give them the nod b/c their thinkpads use worse screens than many netbooks, yet they still charge exorbitantly high prices). Use a bad screen, fine. But make the price commensurate. You incur my wrath when you dare pass of a premium notebook with a bottom-of-the-barrel screen.

All in all, for a discriminating buyer who values: screen, ergonomics, and battery life, and is willing to pay a bit more for it, I don't see how anyone could conclude anything other than Apple's laptops as the right choice. When you throw in weight, thinness, and aesthetics, the gap widens considerably.

I think that it's more true that once you get used to a mac, going back to a different laptop is harder. As long as you don't taste what you're missing, you're fine.

I would say my MBP 13" screen is like a genius at a state school.

But seriously, I prefer my MBP 13" screen over my MBA 11.6" screen. The MBP screen seems crisper, (sorry this is not technical, rather, just an opinion).

BENJMNS
Nov 8, 2010, 09:59 PM
how do i find out what type of screen i have? is one better than the other?

bfc
Nov 8, 2010, 11:11 PM
I'm taking my 13" MBA into Apple tommorow to have the display looked at.

The display appears to have a gradient, the top half of the display has nice warm colours, while the colours appear washed out on the bottom half of the display. The difference is subtle, but definately annoying. Especially with skin tones, on the top part of the display, skin tones appear slightly warmer (reddish), while on the bottom part, skin tones appear yellow.

I guess I'll see what Apple has to say tommorow.

fyrefly
Nov 8, 2010, 11:56 PM
how do i find out what type of screen i have? is one better than the other?

This has seriously been answered like 5 times in this thread alone:

It's also been said a bunch of times in the thread that the 9CF0 model doesn't seem to be as good as the 9CDF models.

BENJMNS
Nov 9, 2010, 12:28 AM
This has seriously been answered like 5 times in this thread alone:

It's also been said a bunch of times in the thread that the 9CF0 model doesn't seem to be as good as the 9CDF models.

my bad man and thx, though i'm not reading where i'm reading the bunch of times that the 9cf0 isn't as good as the 9cdf in this thread. in fact, i read none?

what's the diff?

aberrero
Nov 9, 2010, 02:21 AM
ipad? are u joking?

the mba 13 screen is the best laptop screen i've ever seen. it's strikes that perfect balance between glossy and matte. it's a semi-glossy or hyper-matte. :D

It's not just my opinion, I actually know what I'm talking about. The iPad looks very similar to my desktop monitor, which is an IPS display with excellent color accuracy and 100% color gamut. The MBA 13 looks noticeably worse than both of them.

It actually looks pretty decent when just using it, but put the MBA up next to a good display and it really seems horrible. Also, there is a significant amount of backlight bleed coming from the bottom of the panel, so I have to keep the dock on the bottom to hide it.

The MBA display is one of the better laptop displays out there, but it is pretty disappointing that Steve Jobs couldn't have learned One More Thing from the iPad: put an amazing display on it.

Also, the MBA displays glossiness is about the same as what I used to have with my Dell Inspiron 9300 It isn't anything particularly special, it only seems that way when you compare it to trash from companies like Asus and Toshiba, as well as the really nice but also super reflective MBP displays.

Truffy
Nov 9, 2010, 03:36 AM
we don't know and will never know which one Anandtech tested, as their review is incomplete in this regard
You could always contact them and ask them to update the review with this information if it's that important to you. ;)

BeachChair
Nov 9, 2010, 04:05 AM
I've really scrutinized the 13 inch 9CF0 screen, and it sure triumphs the MBP 13 in terms of brightness, sharpness and glare, but the colors are not as good.
Considering the MBA is a secondary laptop for road warriors, they made a good tradeoff. I'm sure the extra brigthness, work space and less glare will be super useful for people sitting in airports and other bright places.

Personally, I prefer richer colors because I take alot of pictures. I hope they find screens for the next MBPs that improve on all fronts - time for IPS?

bcaslis
Nov 9, 2010, 08:47 AM

Yes, it's been said a number of times here by a few people that the 9CF0 isn't as good. I had two of these screens in two different 13" and I think that complaint is worthless.

If you are concerned about screen quality, get off your duff and buy a color calibration package. Once calibrated you won't be able to tell the difference between a 9CF0 and a 9CDF. And those complaining about the MBA screen compared to a MBP screen will see a marked improvement.

But I guess it's easier for someone (not pointing this at you) to complain in multiple threads about a display then to get up and fix the issue.

gwsat
Nov 9, 2010, 08:52 AM
ipad? are u joking?

I agree the MBAs' displays are far better than the iPad's. An IPS display, such as that used on the iPad, would be a waste on the MBAs or any clamshell laptops with keyboards. IPS technology's most significant advantage, having good brightness and color resolution, even at wide angles, means little or nothing on a laptop, where the screen is almost always centered before the user's eyes. Obviously, then, IPS is desirable on a tablet but virtually meaningless on a laptop.

The worst part of the iPad's display to me is that it is almost impossible to prevent distracting reflections from the glass covering its screen. While an antiglare coating, such as that used on the MBA may cause a marginal loss of vibrancy, that's a small price to pay to avoid constant and severe reflections. While I am on my iPad rant, I will add that I hate, hate, hate that it collects fingerprints and smudges at an alarming rate. As a practical matter, it's impossible to keep it clean. Yeah, yeah, I know, it's not nearly as noticeable when there is an image on the screen but it bugs me to look at the filthy thing when the display is turned off.:)

macbook123
Nov 9, 2010, 11:36 AM
You could always contact them and ask them to update the review with this information if it's that important to you. ;)

I would, if there was a way to contact them. Several people have tried.

BENJMNS
Nov 9, 2010, 11:47 AM
I agree the MBAs' displays are far better than the iPad's. An IPS display, such as that used on the iPad, would be a waste on the MBAs or any clamshell laptops with keyboards. IPS technology's most significant advantage, having good brightness and color resolution, even at wide angles, means little or nothing on a laptop, where the screen is almost always centered before the user's eyes. Obviously, then, IPS is desirable on a tablet but virtually meaningless on a laptop.

The worst part of the iPad's display to me is that it is almost impossible to prevent distracting reflections from the glass covering its screen. While an antiglare coating, such as that used on the MBA may cause a marginal loss of vibrancy, that's a small price to pay to avoid constant and severe reflections. While I am on my iPad rant, I will add that I hate, hate, hate that it collects fingerprints and smudges at an alarming rate. As a practical matter, it's impossible to keep it clean. Yeah, yeah, I know, it's not nearly as noticeable when there is an image on the screen but it bugs me to look at the filthy thing when the display is turned off.:)

the ipad certainly has its place (especially in Hollywood where impromptu visual presentations go a long way to explain/sell vision/projects), but it's been slightly marginalized by the mba. it's got a good screen and i'm learning something from you about the whole IPS display.

the only reason why i have one is it was given to me for free from work to use. i only use it at bedtime, but if someone took it away from me, i would simply replace it with the mba. whereas if i had a heavier/bulkier laptop like the mbp, i just might, just might begin to consider dropping $600 for one.

the next killer "app" will be a non-keyboard keyboard (i.e. ghost keyboard) which will significantly change the way we interact with the machine.

until then, we'll have to deal with the clamshell and oily screens for a bit longer. :D

i think what i'm learning is that until you actually own one (the mba), u really won't fully understand/feel what your'e getting, what apple accomplished. it's a new era of laptop computing. i didn't know it could be this easy and convenient to use this.

fyrefly
Nov 9, 2010, 12:36 PM
Yes, it's been said a number of times here by a few people that the 9CF0 isn't as good. I had two of these screens in two different 13" and I think that complaint is worthless.

If you are concerned about screen quality, get off your duff and buy a color calibration package. Once calibrated you won't be able to tell the difference between a 9CF0 and a 9CDF. And those complaining about the MBA screen compared to a MBP screen will see a marked improvement.

But I guess it's easier for someone (not pointing this at you) to complain in multiple threads about a display then to get up and fix the issue.

So you want people to stop complaining that the monitors on their $1K+ computers (really $1300+ 'cause we've mostly been talking about the 13 Models) and sepdn another $200 or so to calibrate them? I've never had to calibrate a Mac in my life. I don't have the need for colour accurate print-work, I just have the need for a screen that looks half-decent.

In the past 10 years, I've owned two iBooks, two PowerBooks, three iMacs, a half-dozen MacBook Pros, and the only screen I ever thought I would need to calibrate was the Alu MacBook I had - but those models had notably TERRIBLE screens on them, so I just returned it, and when the 13" MBP came out with a MUCH better screen, I jumped on that. Again, no calibration needed.

I find it a bit ridiculous that one should need to buy a $200 Spyder to be happy with their purchase.

It's obvious that Apple's using different display panel providers (as they have in all models) and some are better that others. I've had a MBA RevA and a RevB and I was lucky both times, as in those Rev's as well there were some screens that were better than others. (And in the RevB's some that had the notorious "line issue" -- should those people have just bought a Spyder and stopped complaining? ;) )

I agree that people shouldn't just complain in threads on the 'net, but to me the solution is to return the model they don't like and hope for a better one... or don't buy the computer all together.

BENJMNS
Nov 9, 2010, 12:41 PM

pls save us from this anecdotal bs. 9cf0 better than 9cdf? LOL
amazed at what the internet produces.

you guys must have some cat eye vision or something.

bcaslis
Nov 9, 2010, 12:49 PM
So you want people to stop complaining that the monitors on their $1K+ computers (really $1300+ 'cause we've mostly been talking about the 13 Models) and sepdn another $200 or so to calibrate them? I've never had to calibrate a Mac in my life. I don't have the need for colour accurate print-work, I just have the need for a screen that looks half-decent.

In the past 10 years, I've owned two iBooks, two PowerBooks, three iMacs, a half-dozen MacBook Pros, and the only screen I ever thought I would need to calibrate was the Alu MacBook I had - but those models had notably TERRIBLE screens on them, so I just returned it, and when the 13" MBP came out with a MUCH better screen, I jumped on that. Again, no calibration needed.

I find it a bit ridiculous that one should need to buy a $200 Spyder to be happy with their purchase.

It's obvious that Apple's using different display panel providers (as they have in all models) and some are better that others. I've had a MBA RevA and a RevB and I was lucky both times, as in those Rev's as well there were some screens that were better than others. (And in the RevB's some that had the notorious "line issue" -- should those people have just bought a Spyder and stopped complaining? ;) )

I agree that people shouldn't just complain in threads on the 'net, but to me the solution is to return the model they don't like and hope for a better one... or don't buy the computer all together.

There's a huge difference between a terrible screen and two screens that have different color response. Most of the complaints I've seen in this forum wouldn't know accurate colors if a calibrated monitor hit them on the side of the head.

Bad displays like the lines on previous MBAs are one thing. Moaning about not getting a 9CDF display because the "colors" on it are better are complete B.S. Years ago the variation in some of the displays was huge. But I've looked at the different displays being used now and the variation between screen types is small and easily dealt with by color calibrating. Any of these displays out of the box are inaccurate without calibrating, so complaining about one having better color is just that, a whining complaint.

End of color soapbox. :D

macbook123
Nov 9, 2010, 02:27 PM
Nobody here has compared the two displays side by side, and the anandtech review misses the crucial information which display they received and the authors don't provide contact information, so we're all really in the dark, both fans and non-fans of the 9CF0.

Bcaslis, you can't simply brush off people who aren't satisfied with their displays off, especially if they have tried calibrating them and if their main concern is not with color but contrast!

neteng101
Nov 9, 2010, 02:46 PM
I'm not sure if the 9CF0 is bad - only that some owners of 9CF0 were complaining about it quite a bit - the contrast ratio and blacks/whites are excellent on the 9CDF which I have. I've read some complains about that aspect on the 9CF0 so its probably an inferior panel but I believe both screens suffer from a lesser color gamut compared to the MBPs.

There's definitely some sort of AR coating on the MBA screens, if you view certain angles to get a reflection and see the color of the reflection (like a white light source), you can tell there's a coating on the screen. It turns the reflections into a pinkish shade, same sort of thing I've noticed on my eyeglasses that has an AR coating on it.

fyrefly
Nov 9, 2010, 02:47 PM
There's a huge difference between a terrible screen and two screens that have different color response. Most of the complaints I've seen in this forum wouldn't know accurate colors if a calibrated monitor hit them on the side of the head.

Bad displays like the lines on previous MBAs are one thing. Moaning about not getting a 9CDF display because the "colors" on it are better are complete B.S. Years ago the variation in some of the displays was huge. But I've looked at the different displays being used now and the variation between screen types is small and easily dealt with by color calibrating. Any of these displays out of the box are inaccurate without calibrating, so complaining about one having better color is just that, a whining complaint.

End of color soapbox. :D

Hah. I 100% agree with you that people complaining about "colours" are the reason we have the freaking glossy only displays on the MacBook/Pro 13"ers and have to BTO Matte screens on the 15/17"ers now. :)

But to me, Apple is using an inferior panel to save $$ and trying to compensate for it looking like crud by upping the contrast ratio. That's a weird mix, IMHO.

And part of my response was also to people in this thread who say their MBA screen is the best screen they've ever seen. They must never have seen an iMac 27" or an NEC or even some of the current MBP screens!

When looking at Colour Accuracy and Colour Gamut, the MBA screens start to fall behind the MBPs in short order:

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/2010lowendssdroundup_060210124932/33259.png

The Matte MBP is #1 in this graph with good reason. And while the MBA beat the 13" MBA here (probably 'cause the 13" MBP is glossy) it only beats it by .2 in the scores...

In Colour Gamut, the MBPs display must more (almost double the MBA):

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/2010lowendssdroundup_060210124932/33260.png

And these are all mathematical tests - not just opinion. So yes, while the whites are white and the black are black, I'd say the MBP have overall _better_ displays, 'cause they have much more well-rounded specs.

I compare it to the iPhone 4 and the iPod Touch 4G. Both have "retina displays", but when looking at an angle, or looking closely you can see the iPod Touch 4G is an inferior display. It washes out much quicker and doesn't have the IPS viewing angles of the iPhone 4. (not that the MBPs have IPS displays, but they have arguably better ones than the MBA).

BENJMNS
Nov 9, 2010, 02:49 PM
I've read some complains about that aspect on the 9CF0 so its probably an inferior panel

wrong

gb1631
Nov 9, 2010, 02:51 PM
Well I'm very happy with my Macbook Air's 11" screen! The colors are great as well as the clarity! ;) :apple:

bcaslis
Nov 9, 2010, 02:51 PM
Nobody here has compared the two displays side by side, and the anandtech review misses the crucial information which display they received and the authors don't provide contact information, so we're all really in the dark, both fans and non-fans of the 9CF0.

Bcaslis, you can't simply brush off people who aren't satisfied with their displays off, especially if they have tried calibrating them and if their main concern is not with color but contrast!

If you think contrast is not affected by color calibration then you have never done it and shouldn't comment on it. The "contrast" is part of the calibration process and there is a significant difference in the apparent contrast in every display I've ever calibrated.

Anyone who has calibrated using Apple's built in calibrator or used any software only method doesn't count. It's literally impossible to correct calibrate a display without using a hardware / software combination.

I'm not a fan of either display. I'm simply pointing out that all the rhetoric you have spouted on the differences is nonsense.

bcaslis
Nov 9, 2010, 02:59 PM
Hah. I 100% agree with you that people complaining about "colours" are the reason we have the freaking glossy only displays on the MacBook/Pro 13"ers and have to BTO Matte screens on the 15/17"ers now. :)

But to me, Apple is using an inferior panel to save $$ and trying to compensate for it looking like crud by upping the contrast ratio. That's a weird mix, IMHO.

I agree 100% that there are tons of better displays than in the MBA. Even the IPS display in the iPad is better from a technical perspective, and desktop IPS display just blow away the MBA.

If people love their displays and think they are the best, that's fine with me. Overall I think it's a very good display given the power and size constraints. Anyone trying to get technically correct color on this display or a MBP display is an idiot. You can get very close to correct color but you simply can't get accurate color on any laptop today.

My beef is this stupid comparison of one display supplier on the MBA to another. Any technical superiority between them is minimal and not worth any discussion. From the posts on this forum you'd think one LCD one was the second coming compared to the other.

BENJMNS
Nov 9, 2010, 03:09 PM
I agree 100% that there are tons of better displays than in the MBA. Even the IPS display in the iPad is better from a technical perspective, and desktop IPS display just blow away the MBA.

If people love their displays and think they are the best, that's fine with me. Overall I think it's a very good display given the power and size constraints. Anyone trying to get technically correct color on this display or a MBP display is an idiot. You can get very close to correct color but you simply can't get accurate color on any laptop today.

My beef is this stupid comparison of one display supplier on the MBA to another. Any technical superiority between them is minimal and not worth any discussion. From the posts on this forum you'd think one LCD one was the second coming compared to the other.

preach!

gwsat
Nov 9, 2010, 03:27 PM
Threads in which posters attempt to quantify the quality of one display over another make my eyes glaze over. I am an old home theater nerd and debates like this come in various forums at AVS Forums. There we use the shorthand term, "picture quality," or "PQ" for short for the relative quality of any image or series of images.

The reason I think debates over PQ are worthless is that they are all subjective. Look at the numbers included in one of the earlier posts here. You wil see that with few exceptions they are all so close to each other, it is unlikely that a real person in the real world who participated in a double blind study could consistently pick the display that did best in the "scientific" tests over the display that did the worst, and certainly not from one that finished in the middle. Not only is PQ a subjective assessment it is going to be subject to myriad variables such as room lighting, personal preferences, and the apps predominately run on one's computer.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: Spare me from Golden Eyes and wake me when it's over.:)

KnightWRX
Nov 9, 2010, 08:44 PM
Well, I have a 9CDF display, however I have a profile for a 9C8C screen that's a bit darker than the default profile and looks just great on it. The contrasts are much better with this profile than the one Apple shipped.

macbook123
Nov 9, 2010, 09:00 PM
bcaslis, I'll simply repeat what I wrote above "You can't simply brush off people who aren't satisfied with their displays, especially if they have tried calibrating them and if their main concern is not with color but contrast!".

So I'm referring to those who have calibrated the screen themselves or used profiles kindly provided by you and others here and still find inferior contrast. Sorry if you think what I'm "spouting" is "nonsense". I'm not going to apologize for disagreeing with you, and have better things to do than listening to personal insults from you.

ReallyBigFeet
Nov 9, 2010, 09:14 PM
You guys amuse me. Please, continue. I'll go make myself another martini while you debate the merits of 9C3PO versus R2D2. All the while my MBA renders purdy colors that are pleasing to my eyes.

macbook123
Nov 9, 2010, 09:20 PM
You guys amuse me. Please, continue. I'll go make myself another martini while you debate the merits of 9C3PO versus R2D2. All the while my MBA renders purdy colors that are pleasing to my eyes.

;) I think the one thing we can all agree on is that this is a great laptop. I definitely don't hate the display, am probably being nit-picky, and am not going to return it for this reason for sure. I would, however, love to see it side-by-side with the 9CDF. Things get distorted in written debates, and over-dramatized, as the face of the writer is invisible.

bcaslis
Nov 10, 2010, 12:40 AM
bcaslis, I'll simply repeat what I wrote above "You can't simply brush off people who aren't satisfied with their displays, especially if they have tried calibrating them and if their main concern is not with color but contrast!".

So I'm referring to those who have calibrated the screen themselves or used profiles kindly provided by you and others here and still find inferior contrast. Sorry if you think what I'm "spouting" is "nonsense". I'm not going to apologize for disagreeing with you, and have better things to do than listening to personal insults from you.

I'm not insulting you, but I am telling that you (and several others) don't understand what you are talking about with regard to these displays. While using a profile made on someone else's display might make your display "look" better, it's still inaccurate. The only way to get a correct comparison between two displays is to calibrate each one independently and compare them. Nobody here has done that and people are jumping to conclusions that one display is better than another.

Finally, most of the statement about "better" have little usefulness. What is better? Stronger colors, more contrast? Why is that better? Sony digital cameras produce color that laymen usually look at and say "wow, look at the colors!". But the colors are horribly over saturated and inaccurate. Take a picture with one of these cameras on an area of subtle reds and everything gets lost, it's one solid red because everything gets over saturated. People think color is simple and it's not. It's actually very complex to reproduce accurate colors and that's why calibration is really needed. If "better" or "good" doesn't mean accurate then you might as well give up. Because then it's totally subjective and what's good to one person will be wrong to another.

KnightWRX
Nov 10, 2010, 06:33 AM
I'm not insulting you, but I am telling that you (and several others) don't understand what you are talking about with regard to these displays. While using a profile made on someone else's display might make your display "look" better, it's still inaccurate.

You assume most posters here are going for accurate. I know I couldn't give a rats ass about color accuracy in a display. I just want it to look good for me.

There's no harm in sharing color profiles and opinions about how "good" they look. If someone ends up getting something that looks better to him, that's great.

If you want to calibrate yours, just ignore the posts about people that don't and move on. You have something you like, we have something we like.

bcaslis
Nov 10, 2010, 07:52 AM
You assume most posters here are going for accurate. I know I couldn't give a rats ass about color accuracy in a display. I just want it to look good for me.

There's no harm in sharing color profiles and opinions about how "good" they look. If someone ends up getting something that looks better to him, that's great.

If you want to calibrate yours, just ignore the posts about people that don't and move on. You have something you like, we have something we like.

I agree with what you are saying and I don't have an issue with it. What I'm trying to point out is that some people have said that the 9CDF panel is better than the 9CF0 panel and some people are now searching for the "better" panel. I'm trying to point out that there likely is no "better" panel, that it's subjective and that if someone did properly calibrate both panels very few people would be able to tell them apart.

I'm all for going what makes someone happy with their purchase, that's why I've posted the profiles I've made. I'm just trying to counter this perception that there is a "good" and "bad" panel on the 13" MBA.

KnightWRX
Nov 10, 2010, 02:01 PM
I agree with what you are saying and I don't have an issue with it. What I'm trying to point out is that some people have said that the 9CDF panel is better than the 9CF0 panel and some people are now searching for the "better" panel. I'm trying to point out that there likely is no "better" panel, that it's subjective and that if someone did properly calibrate both panels very few people would be able to tell them apart.

Or maybe the color profile for the 9CF0 isn't as good to the eye as the 9CDF out of the box. A lot of assumptions until someone actually sits down and does some objective comparison of both with Apple's default profile and then with a calibrated profile.

It's quite possible that there is some truth to the 9CDF looks better stories. I will agree with you that it is disingenious at this moment to claim it is due to better hardware when a bunch of other factors might be the cause.

billy baxton
Nov 10, 2010, 02:33 PM
I just want to know how accurately the mba shows colours, for print and photo retouching purposes. not at all concerned about how vibrant or saturated the colours look...

KnightWRX
Nov 10, 2010, 03:15 PM
I just want to know how accurately the mba shows colours, for print and photo retouching purposes. not at all concerned about how vibrant or saturated the colours look...

It's a TN panel. That should tell you everything you need to know about it. You don't buy such a screen for color accuracy.

billy baxton
Nov 10, 2010, 03:35 PM
It's a TN panel. That should tell you everything you need to know about it. You don't buy such a screen for color accuracy.

that's true. thanks

tim100
Nov 10, 2010, 07:07 PM

doesnt macbook pro also have tn display?

JoeG4
Nov 10, 2010, 07:29 PM
All apple laptops use TN screens, I think part of it is that they usually come in thinner packages.

Anyway, I used a 13" and 11.6" yesterday, they both seem pretty good to me, worlds better than the "bad macbook" screen and still IMHO a lot better than the "good macbook" screen of the olden days.

Color accuracy? I'm not sure! The MBA I used had no internet connection so I couldn't do that kind of test. However, the last time I did the color accuracy testing on an Apple laptop was a 17" antiglare MBP and it failed BADLY. (I highly doubt the antiglare was responsible)

aberrero
Nov 11, 2010, 12:14 AM
doesnt macbook pro also have tn display?

Yes, and those aren't great either. If you are going to print something, look at it on a desktop IPS display. End of Story.

drjsway
Nov 11, 2010, 02:35 AM
All apple laptops use TN screens, I think part of it is that they usually come in thinner packages.

Almost all laptops, period, use TN screens.

Corax
Nov 11, 2010, 03:01 AM
Anyway, I just love the quality of my new MBA 13" and really enjoy the high 1440x900 resolution! But I'm not a professional printer/photographer, so the colors do not have to be 100% perfect, although they LOOK perfect to me, a lot better than the 13" MacBook alu unibody it replaced. :apple:

Philflow
Nov 13, 2010, 06:59 AM

I've got the 9Cf2 too. Man it's bright :cool:

tim100
Nov 13, 2010, 04:22 PM
anyone have a side by side macbook pro vs air?

wirelessmacuser
Nov 13, 2010, 11:34 PM

A side by side comparison with my 13" 2009 MBP reveals the better display (resolution aside) is the "13" MBA due to it not being so glossy & reflective.

A side by side comparison with my 15" 2010 MBP reveals the MBP superior. That's due to the antiglare hi-res option I chose for it.

JoeG4
Nov 13, 2010, 11:59 PM
There have been a few laptops with IPS screens (IBM Flexview screens were either IPS or AFFS, very similar tech).

I've heard of other laptops using them (I think the HP EliteBooks with that crazy color screen [whatever it's called!] also might use IPS screens).

But like I said, most IPS screens I've seen were considerably fatter than their TN cousins.

Philflow
Nov 14, 2010, 12:34 AM

I've had both the 11" and 13" Air. The gamut on the MBP is much richer and it's obvious.

Philflow
Nov 21, 2010, 09:21 AM
My friend has a 9CF3. I have the 9CF2. We compared today.

The 9CF3 has a richer gamut, colors look better. 9CF2 is brighter.

I'd prefer the 9CF3 though. It was closer to the 13" MBA screen I had before.

gdeputy
Nov 28, 2010, 02:05 PM
man oh man, being colorblind (i still see all primary colors, it's very similar hues I have difficult seeing, basically I can see like 20000 colors as opposed to a million, so all REAL colors from the spectrum are visible to me, I can't see minute differences in shades i.e. 2 very similar shades of red are difficult for me to see the difference) has never been so great. I love not having to worry about this crap, because let's be honest, if the difference between what I see and what is technically color accurate did happen, I'm sure I'de have trouble seeing it :p. Ignorance is bliss, or at least hindered color vision is.

Whimsy
Nov 30, 2010, 01:30 PM
So I have an 11 inch Macbook Air with the 9CF2 screen and I'm wondering if my screen is faulty or not.

I exhibit faint horizontal lines across the screen when looking closely and am not sure if these are just the discernible pixels you see on a LCD (I'm used to the iPhone Retina Display so maybe I'm spoiled) or if it's similar to previous-gen horizontal line issues.

Does anyone else notice this or am I just looking too closely?

Thanks for the help.