Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emaq123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2002
Oregon, USA
Hi all,

Thought I'd toss my two-cents into the bit bucket.

I recently got a pair of SE/30s. Great machinces! I've just finished setting one up 16M ram, 40M hd, system 6.0.8. I don't have an ethernet card for it yet, but I can still move files from it to my G4 via a quadra 610. Anyway, this box has appletalk, uses an external cdrom and has access to a personal laserwriter NT.

The reason I'm so keyed-up about the SE/30, is that it cold boots in 30 seconds, launches MacWrite II in 7 seconds, and shuts down almost instantly. Not bad for an old computer with access to a postscript laser and networking. Right now I'm using it for writing and I can see myself doing email once I get an ethernet board for it.

So there you go...

-Fred

flanders

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Wow, a thread about SE/30's! I want to drag my Plus out now just to make sure she starts up! BTW, where'd you get the SE/30's?

emaq123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2002
Oregon, USA
Right now, i get most of my gear through an outfit called "Goodwill". People donate stuff and they resell it. Help a lot of folks out in between.

I don't have room for my plus right now, but I want to speed check it with 6.0.8 against the SE/30. It will be slower for sure but still might look good as a word processor. I'd like to try to connect it to my appletalk network.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
The SE/30 was a great (and expensive) machine. It had the same horsepower as the Mac IIx, a 16MHz 68030 on a 32-bit bus. Nothing wrong with that back in the day.

As far as bang for your buck, nothing touches the old Amigas based on 7.16MHz 68000's.

blakespot

emaq123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2002
Oregon, USA
Originally posted by blakespot
As far as bang for your buck, nothing touches the old Amigas based on 7.16MHz 68000's.

I've got an Amiga 2000 and 500 (x2). They work, but I haven't really done anything with them. What about them makes you that?

For collection purposes, I really want an Amiga 1000.

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2002
iMac 400Mhz DV

I know..... Not considered a collectible yet, but with the way it's running tonight.......being its first day on a high speed network...... I could definitely see this running in my house someday, in like 15-20 years.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
My SE/HD can boot MacOS 4.1 in less then 2.4 seconds. I wish my new Powermac could boot OS X that quick.

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
my mom has an LCIII that she got when she signed up as a teacher, in the district. she had the choice of that or a powerbook, you know the super old ones. lol. she chose the lciii. and for a while it was the only computer in our house that was still working, hehe, 1 pc desk. 1 pc laptop, and the LCIII. damnit apple good job, an old flame never dies eh
/??

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Originally posted by applemacdude
but then again its system 4. by the way what was the first mac os?

Not counting Lisa, Mac OS 0, It was a prototype if I remember right. and Mac OS 1.0 was loaded on my first Mac 128k, damn I wish I still had that.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
The Apple Lisa did not originally run a version of Mac OS, of course, since it predated the Macintosh. The Lisa, after the Mac was introduced, became the Macintosh XL and ran a version of the Mac System / Finder. The original Lisa OS supported preemptive multitasking, an advanced feature that the Mac OS did not get until OS X, interestingly. The Lisa's original desktop interface was called the Lisa Desktop Manager. I am not sure if there was an acknowledged separation od the OS layer itself--if so I cannot, in a quick search, determine what it's called.

Here's some info.

blakespot

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by blakespot
The original Lisa OS supported preemptive multitasking, an advanced feature that the Mac OS did not get until OS X, interestingly. The Lisa's original desktop interface was called the Lisa Desktop Manager. I am not sure if there was an acknowledged separation od the OS layer itself--if so I cannot, in a quick search, determine what it's called.
Maybe the term/aspect of Operating System wasn't as important as the "Desktop" term that the LISA made mainstream. People, after all, were paying $10K to have this new idea change the way they work.

The Lisa Desktop Manager was probably based heavily upon the Smalltalk OOP, which is what nextstep based it's Objective-C upon. Cocoa still uses Objective-C, so in many ways the LISA was ahead of it's time.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by Spock

Not counting Lisa, Mac OS 0, It was a prototype if I remember right. and Mac OS 1.0 was loaded on my first Mac 128k, damn I wish I still had that.
It'd probably be System 0, not Mac OS 0. "Mac OS" did not come about until 7.6.x when Apple wanted to be have a more descriptive term than "System" to set themselves apart, since many manufacturers could then run the OS.

multifinder

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2002
Re: My current favorite mac the SE/30

Originally posted by emaq123
Hi all,

Thought I'd toss my two-cents into the bit bucket.

I recently got a pair of SE/30s. Great machinces! I've just finished setting one up 16M ram, 40M hd, system 6.0.8. I don't have an ethernet card for it yet, but I can still move files from it to my G4 via a quadra 610. Anyway, this box has appletalk, uses an external cdrom and has access to a personal laserwriter NT.

The reason I'm so keyed-up about the SE/30, is that it cold boots in 30 seconds, launches MacWrite II in 7 seconds, and shuts down almost instantly. Not bad for an old computer with access to a postscript laser and networking. Right now I'm using it for writing and I can see myself doing email once I get an ethernet board for it.

So there you go...

-Fred

The SE/30 was an awesome machine--I actually saw one, still in use, at a bridal shop outside Portland, OR last week. I used one in college and absolutely loved it--it did everything fast, was quiet, and didn't take up much space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.