Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Yes, another advice thread.

I currently have a 15" matte screen, 2007 MBP 2.16GHz 3GB RAM MacBook Pro, with 7200RPM 250GB HDD.

I am very tempted by the 11"MBA, but don't know which to go for.

My Aperture library is 30GB at the moment, and will only increase. It's currently stored locally on my MBP, as is my 90GB iTunes media library.

I move to Japan next year, and intend on travelling around the country, blogging and general use, and am obviously attracted by the 11"MBA. I'd be more than happy to connect it to a larger display (as I currently to) for longer computing sessions.

I could go for the 64GB version and have my Aperture Library on an external, along with my iTunes, or I could get the 128GB and keep aperture on the MBA properly, and iTunes externally.

I think 4GB would be a good idea as upgrading this computer to 3GB was a great idea.

I'd contemplate selling my 15" MBP to make way for the 11" MBA if I thought it could replace it adequately, but at the moment I'm torn between selling up and going for 128GB MBA or getting a 64GB MBA and having both the computers, with the MBP as a desktop.

Or, get the 64GB MBA and just keep things externally if I need to. Perhaps I could thin out my Aperture library anyway, or create a new library on the MBA for when I go to Japan...

Advice welcomed!

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
You should go for the 13.3". I know the choice is painful, and the 11.6" looks oh-so-sexy, but the 13.3" is just more practical in the end as a primary computer. The CPU boost is more than welcome, and that screen is just better to do real work on.

And be honest with yourself - the 13.3" is just as portable as the 11.6", and it has better battery life.

Also, I'm using my MBA as my sole primary computer, along with a 750GB portable HDD to store my anime on. Loving it.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
@ImperialX, thanks for your reply :)

It's something I am certainly considering. I'm moving to Japan in January, so perhaps I should just hold out until I get to Japan and see how my workload is by then.

If I didn't buy a 3G iPad, then this question wouldn't be being asked I bet, but I did buy the iPad. I love it, but I cannot integrate it into any kind of work flow and it's basically just a stand-alone device, for media consumption. I can't really write my blog on it or process photos...

13" MBA does perhaps seem like the best replacement for the MBP... but I always use the MBP with an external display, but I won't in Japan. Hey ho!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
x2 on the "Ultimate 13" model. Its processor has twice the cache as your 2007 MBP so it would actually be slightly faster at most tasks even before considering the SSD.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Given that you run Aperture, you may be regretting the 11" MBA given the resources that Aperture usually demands.

I'd say look at that model as opposed to the 11" MBA

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
x2 on the "Ultimate 13" model. Its processor has twice the cache as your 2007 MBP so it would actually be slightly faster at most tasks even before considering the SSD.

Very interesting. Is the cache the same on the 11"?

Given that you run Aperture, you may be regretting the 11" MBA given the resources that Aperture usually demands.

I'd say look at that model as opposed to the 11" MBA

But when connected to an external display, would the differences be minimal?

I'm certainly no pro when it comes to photography, though it is a passion of mine. I'll have a year in Japan, after which my computers wont work in the UK, so laptops are the most viable option. Appreciating the comments!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.