PDA

View Full Version : Waterfield Cases\SF Bags 11" MBA Case\Sleeve = Horrid Customer Experience! Avoid...

bella92108
Nov 4, 2010, 07:53 PM
So last week mid-week I ordered a case from Waterfield, the sleeve for the Macbook Air. They said it'd ship by Nov 1... Nov 1 it didn't ship, and I emailed, they said it'd ship by Nov 2, didn't happen. Nov 2 I emailed and they said I could pick it up from them since I'm in the Bay Area... they replied that I can pick it up on the 2nd afternoon, I asked for the address, they said "call before you come"... the same thing happened on the 3rd, still said the same thing. When I call they have a "we're too busy to talk" message... so I decided to email. They replied today saying it won't be available for pickup today, try again tomorrow. And I emailed back saying this is getting frustrating that I keep getting a different story every time, and they keep telling me tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow, and don't even tell me where to go to pick up, nor answer the phone.

"Gary" (or someone emailing on his behalf), emailed me back telling me that I'm obviously not satisfied and maybe I should just go to the Apple store and find a case, and that he cancelled my order.

That's the absolute worst customer service experience I've EVER had with an accessory vendor. Arrogance should be EARNED, and judging by their size and standing, they haven't earned the arrogance afforded to companies like Apple. I will NEVER buy from them again and NEVER recommend them to anyone.

I've heard several people here in the area say they're shady and operate "local" sweatshops in garages, I guess that's why they're so evasive when I ask where I can "Will Call Pickup" the case, and why they never answer the phone.

I'd avoid these guys like the plague. My instinct told me to hold out for inCase to release a MBA 11" case, so now I'll do that. There's a reason why companies like inCase are successful. They meet their commitments, and provide service, and don't have unearned arrogance.

SF BAGS\WATERFIELD = NOT RECOMMENDED

Bluemeanie1976
Nov 4, 2010, 08:06 PM
Well, I got an email from 'Gary' who seemed perfectly nice, and informed me that mine would be shipped tomorrow, with priority mail. Haven't had an issue thus far, and their response on email is nice, and very personal.

They said it would ship on the Friday when I ordered, and lo and behold it did so. As for sweat shops, I wonder where Incase products are made?

scenemissing
Nov 4, 2010, 08:08 PM
Just a counterpoint - I think those guys rock. To be fair, I've never had to order something that was in super high demand, like a brand new product.....

bella92108
Nov 4, 2010, 08:11 PM
Well, I got an email from 'Gary' who seemed perfectly nice, and informed me that mine would be shipped tomorrow, with priority mail. Haven't had an issue thus far, and their response on email is nice, and very personal.

They said it would ship on the Friday when I ordered, and lo and behold it did so. As for sweat shops, I wonder where Incase products are made?

Yeah, I'm guessing every email comes from "Gary" ... I would have been perfectly fine if they hadn't given me the run-around for a week saying it'd be ready for pickup "tomorrow" day after day, or had they shipped it a week ago like they committed to when I ordered.

Either way, it's not an acceptable way to treat customers, and I vote with my money so I'll vote for someone else.

Just a counterpoint - I think those guys rock. To be fair, I've never had to order something that was in super high demand, like a brand new product.....

I'm guessing Apple has 10,000 orders for Macbook Air for every 1 case those guys make, if not more. There's nothing wrong with a company setting realistic expectations. What makes a company is how they respond when they fail to meet their own commitments. To say "sorry, here's $5 off, we will do our best to have it ready tomorrow" or to say "go find a case elsewhere" is why these guys have been a TINY company the 10 years they've been around and why inCase is a huge company after being in business for the same time. Apple has earned it's arrogance, Waterfield\SFBAGS has not.

sparkhill
Nov 4, 2010, 08:13 PM
Sorry to hear about you poor experience. FWIW, I ordered my sleeve on Oct 25 @ 10PM, it shipped on Oct 29 and arrived on Nov 1. It's a nice product - looks almost Apple OEM. I have an iPhone case from them. Customer service has been good in my experience.

bella92108
Nov 4, 2010, 08:14 PM
Sorry to hear about you poor experience. FWIW, I ordered my sleeve on Oct 25 @ 10PM, it shipped on Oct 29 and arrived on Nov 1. It's a nice product - looks almost Apple OEM. I have an Iphone case from them. Customer service has been good in my experience.

I prefer InCase anyhow, this was just a tide-me-over until InCase ships theirs, so much for supporting local companies. :-(

I guess China wins again :-( :-(

mac jones
Nov 4, 2010, 08:15 PM
I buy tons of stuff from them. They are the best.

They are madly getting these new models out.

Mind you, these are being made on almost no notice , and they must be frantic.

I've ordered for the new models and they are about 3 days behind schedule.

Bella, you case is isolated i'm afraid.

Note: I've never had a retailer so pissed at me that they told me to not buy from them any longer. Must be humiliating.

LOL

But I agree, don't promise things you can't deliver. Just greedy ( but I suppose I can relate to that a bit :) )

bella92108
Nov 4, 2010, 08:19 PM
I buy tons of stuff from them. They are the best.

They are madly getting these new models out.

Mind you, these are being made on almost no notice , and they must be frantic.

I've ordered for the new models and they are about 3 days behind schedule.

Bella, you case is isolated i'm afraid.

Note: I've never had a retailer so pissed at me that they told me to not buy from them any longer.

LOL

I'm sure they've made many happy customers, however obviously they're not so amazing that they've gone anywhere except a local internet-retailer. They don't sell in any retail, they don't sell through online distribution aside from their own site.

I understand delays, and I was very understanding. My guess is they're stressed and they'd rather just cancel an order than deal with it... which to me is counterintuitive, but hey, they have to stay small somehow.

I have NEVER in my life had a company tell me to take my business elsewhere because I expressed concern that they promised me a product 4 days in a row and I just want to know when (even if it's 2 weeks away) my product will arrive. That's not unreasonable.

potentpotable
Nov 4, 2010, 08:19 PM
To:
Sent: Thu, November 4, 2010 5:13:08 PM
Subject: On the way....

Hi _____,

Thanks very much. I just want to let you know that your order (#xxxxxx) will ship fresh from our San Francisco factory on the evening of 5-Nov-2010 via US First Class Mail.

Thanks for tracking us down and giving us a shot. I hope we meet your expectations.

If there's anything else I can do for you, just let me know.

Best regards,
Gary

PS: By the way, this is what we're sending you:

1 -Suede Jacket- -Vertical Sleeve- -11.6" MacBook Air $25.00

Product Total: $25.00
Sales Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $2.00
Grand Total: $27.00

Got this email earlier today as well...maybe you caught Gary at a bad time? Nonetheless, it's unacceptable. Good on you for bringing it up, hopefully someone there will read this thread and make appropriate improvements.

bella92108
Nov 4, 2010, 08:22 PM
Got this email earlier today as well...maybe you caught Gary at a bad time? Nonetheless, it's unacceptable. Good on you for bringing it up, hopefully someone there will read this thread and make appropriate improvements.

Maybe. Not my problem though. I'm the customer, and when you run a business it's unacceptable to not treat a customer with respect... he basically told me to f-off, knowing they sell the only case for the 11" right now. Running a business means sometimes you have to admit mistakes were made. They promised a date, failed, then promised 3 subsequent dates, and missed all 3. I wasn't asking for any monetary compensation, just an accurate date I can expect my product.

Guess it was my first time giving them a shot, and my last. :-)

mac jones
Nov 4, 2010, 08:22 PM
I'm sure they've made many happy customers, however obviously they're not so amazing that they've gone anywhere except a local internet-retailer. They don't sell in any retail, they don't sell through online distribution aside from their own site.

I understand delays, and I was very understanding. My guess is they're stressed and they'd rather just cancel an order than deal with it... which to me is counterintuitive, but hey, they have to stay small somehow.

I have NEVER in my life had a company tell me to take my business elsewhere because I expressed concern that they promised me a product 4 days in a row and I just want to know when (even if it's 2 weeks away) my product will arrive. That's not unreasonable.

Also, I imagine you didn't deal with the owner at all. The emails are signed Gary, but that's just a form letter.

Most likely just a sales person that has issues.

bella92108
Nov 4, 2010, 08:25 PM
Also, I imagine you didn't deal with the owner at all. The emails are signed Gary, but that's just a form letter.

Most likely just a sales person that has issues.

I'm guessing so... but who knows, it's obviously a tiny tiny company that occupies a suite the size of the average apartment in SF... so guess they want to stay small... and they will if it takes them 2 weeks to get a sleeve made, and treat customers like they treated me.

How to stay small as a company:

a) Overpromise, underdeliver.
b) Tell your customers to shop somewhere else.

Imagine if Apple did that, lol

teski
Nov 4, 2010, 08:33 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience, but I and many others I know have ordered a lot of products from Gary and they've been nothing short of professional and friendly.

In fact, when the iPad first shipped, there was an issue with the fit of the case, and they knew it before the customers...What did they do? Sent mail out saying not to send anything back. Keep the case and use it for something else and that a properly fitting one would be on it's way right away.

That's customer service!

bella92108
Nov 4, 2010, 08:44 PM
In fact, when the iPad first shipped, there was an issue with the fit of the case, and they knew it before the customers...What did they do? Sent mail out saying not to send anything back. Keep the case and use it for something else and that a properly fitting one would be on it's way right away.

That's customer service!

Well we'll agree to disagree on that one, when they replace a defective product (yeah, making a product to fit and it not fitting is a defect), they have an obligation to fix or replace it. We've become so familiar with sub-par customer service that when a company does what's REQUIRED, they look like heros.

While they may have rapidly responded to that situation, it was damage control more than anything else. Or maybe I'm just angry because they've totally disenfranchised me as a customer for life.

teski
Nov 4, 2010, 08:49 PM
Well we'll agree to disagree on that one, when they replace a defective product (yeah, making a product to fit and it not fitting is a defect), they have an obligation to fix or replace it. We've become so familiar with sub-par customer service that when a company does what's REQUIRED, they look like heros.

While they may have rapidly responded to that situation, it was damage control more than anything else. Or maybe I'm just angry because they've totally disenfranchised me as a customer for life.

It's not their obligation to reach out to you before the package arrives and tell you to keep that one and that another one is already on it's way.

As with any seller, no one is perfect, but everyone I know has had nothing but a great experience from them.

andyd409
Nov 4, 2010, 08:49 PM
I just got my case from SF Bags for my 11 inch MBA. It took over a week, I knew that going in. I even made some last minute requests for changes which were granted and it still shipped when they said it would, I fact it shipped two days early.

I imagine SF Bags is overloaded with orders right now, I am glad to see a small business succeed. But maybe because of the overload they need some additional people at least in the short trek.

BTW, I really like my sleeve for my 11 inch.

SF Bags / Waterfield = highly recommended!

Just MHO, YMMV

Andy

bella92108
Nov 4, 2010, 08:53 PM
I imagine SF Bags is overloaded with orders right now, I am glad to see a small business succeed. But maybe because of the overload they need some additional people at least in the short trek.

BTW, I really like my sleeve for my 11 inch.

Just MHO, YMMV

Andy

I expected mine to ship or be available for pickup when they quoted Monday on my order. Then they said tuesday. Then wednesday... then today... at what point does it become a game? I was understanding that they've got a lot of orders, but comon, if you've been in business for 10 years you should be able to give a reasonable timeframe with accuracy, and if your customer service reps are telling people "tomorrow you can pick up" 4 days in a row and you keep failing the deadline, there's an issue.

Keep in mind in the 10 years they've been in business, this isn't the first product that's been released, lol. Clearly they don't have aspirations to be a big company nor grow their business, and that's fine, just set realistic expectations. A customer can only expect what a company promises.

Either way I'm not losing sleep over this one. I think their "cases" look like garbage, they're a bit to hippy for me, I prefer the modern, clean-lines like apple designs, and the crumpler\incase products are generally more in line with my taste. I thought the suade sleeve would hold me over till something else came along. I ended up purchasing the Crumpler 10" sleeve, and it works great, it's just a little short, as was expected.... but it'll do until something better comes along. I won't even deal with SFBAGS\Waterwhatever anymore. Just WATER under the bridge, lol

ics55
Nov 5, 2010, 12:01 AM
Sorry to hear about your experience, but I and many others I know have ordered a lot of products from Gary and they've been nothing short of professional and friendly.

That's customer service!

+1

I have ordered lots of cases from them - some of them for high demand new models, and they always deliver 150%.

bella92108
Nov 5, 2010, 12:04 AM
+1

I have ordered lots of cases from them - some of them for high demand new models, and they always deliver 150%.

Yep. Most have good experiences it's why I ordered from them.

I'm not mad at them for missing the mark in my situation. I'm mad because they screwed up and rather than taking accountability they told me to f-off and disrespected me.

pvmacguy
Nov 5, 2010, 12:11 AM
Unfortunately in this case we are hearing only one side of the story. Customers aren't always such little innocent angles believe me. :rolleyes:

bella92108
Nov 5, 2010, 12:16 AM
Unfortunately in this case we are hearing only one side of the story. Customers aren't always such little innocent angles believe me. :rolleyes:

Quite true. But when I plan my day tuesday based on them telling me Monday that it'll be ready for pickup between 10am and 2 pm, and to call for directions tuesday to find out that it's not ready and they commit to wednesday that it'll be ready for pickup between 10am and 2 pm, and to call for directions wednesday to find out that it's not ready and they commit to today that it'll be ready for pickup between 10am and 2 pm, and to call for directions this morning to find out that it's not ready and they commit to tomorrow I think I was pretty calm, I just explained that it's bad business to continue to do this. If they say "it'll be done in a week" then they get it done Monday, at least it beats their commitment.

The WORST thing a company can do in regards to service is to overpromise and underdeliver.

Either way, I'm done with them. You can make your own choices, I normally stick with well established national brands, because often times mom n pop companies like this can have issues like this... so I just will use my crumpler sleeve till inCase comes out with theirs :-)

I am curious in what circumstance you'd justify a company being disrespectful to a customer. While I may have been demanding, they were disrespectful.

admanimal
Nov 5, 2010, 12:18 AM
I've also ordered a bunch of things from Waterfield and have had great results each time, including some where I've had to exchange email with customer service.

Most recent order was also for a MBA sleeve, which said it would ship by Nov. 5 when I ordered a few days ago, and sure enough I got an email with the tracking info tonight.

pvmacguy
Nov 5, 2010, 12:25 AM
You seem like a fairly level headed person so I don't believe you went off on them half cocked, in a circumstance where a customer is completely beside themselves and can't get control is the point when I tell them to hit the road, those are the types of people who give 1/8 respect and expect 100%.

In your instance OP I don't see from your story you being that way. But unfortunately WF probably has thousands of orders to fulfill each day, I believe they also accept global orders not from just folks in the US. So unfortunately you were just a drop in the bucket along with the rest of their orders, and I guess they felt one unhappy person wouldn't make a big deal.

Like you said best to stick with some of the name brands from big box retailers sometimes.

bella92108
Nov 5, 2010, 12:27 AM
You seem like a fairly level headed person so I don't believe you went off on them half cocked, in a circumstance where a customer is completely beside themselves and can't get control is the point when I tell them to hit the road, those are the types of people who give 1/8 respect and expect 100%.

In your instance OP I don't see from your story you being that way. But unfortunately WF probably has thousands of orders to fulfill each day, I believe they also accept global orders not from just folks in the US. So unfortunately you were just a drop in the bucket along with the rest of their orders, and I guess they felt one unhappy person wouldn't make a big deal.

Like you said best to stick with some of the name brands from big box retailers sometimes.

Either way, I hope InCase or someone else comes out with a super-simple slip-on sleeve. I have the crumpler 10" sleeve, but it's a little too short... would be cool just to have a simple horizontal or vertical sleeve for it... the 11" is way too pretty to hide in anything thick or bulky :=)

pvmacguy
Nov 5, 2010, 12:29 AM
Either way, I hope InCase or someone else comes out with a super-simple slip-on sleeve. I have the crumpler 10" sleeve, but it's a little too short... would be cool just to have a simple horizontal or vertical sleeve for it... the 11" is way too pretty to hide in anything thick or bulky :=)

Well if you know anyone with a sowing machine you could always go to a craft shop and get some kind of fabric/material and have them make you one. Don't see it being too difficult.

Vashti
Nov 5, 2010, 12:39 AM
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. My experience of Waterfield is that they delivered what they promised and beyond. I wanted one of their bags with a different color leather. They happily made it for me for a very small upcharge. They spent a lot of time on the phone with me helping me make my decision. I ordered from them again and am about to a third time. My experience is that they overdeliver. I have spoken to Gary and others at Waterfield. My experiences with them have been universally positive.

I hope you're happy with whatever you choose next.

mpetrides
Nov 5, 2010, 01:23 AM
Like most other people posting in this thread, I've had excellent service every time I purchased a case from Waterfield/sfbags. Their cases are well-made, durable, and I have NEVER had a problem with their customer service. I currently have 3 (or is it 4?) of their cases and would purchase from them again in a heartbeat!:D

Jaro65
Nov 5, 2010, 02:40 AM
I ordered from them several times before. The product is superb and so is the service. They did forget to include a piggyback in the last order, which they apologized for (it's coming). There is zero doubt that I will be ordering from them again. ...And yes, I do like the fact that I can get a quality product from the US company.

rylin
Nov 5, 2010, 03:22 AM
I ordered a MBA 11 sleeve from them on the 26th.
At the time, they said it'd ship on or before the 29th.

29th comes and goes without me receiving shipping notification.
Nov 2nd I sent them an email asking about it, as I noticed the site said orders would ship by the 5th.

They got back to me a while later with the shipping notice, which just so happened to show that the bag had *just* arrived in Stockholm. Sweden.

It was basically just a case of a missing shipping notification.
I will say though that I'm very impressed with having a brand new, custom laptop sleeve (w/ extra everything) tailored, shipped and delivered halfway across the world in a week.

Right now, I'm waiting for my next paycheck.
I'll need to figure out if I want the 11" Muzetto, or spring for the slightly bigger 13" ;-)

Shame about how they handled your request though.

MikePA
Nov 5, 2010, 03:27 AM
Imagine that, one of the two people on my ignore list has a problem interacting with a merchant almost everyone else raves about. :eek:

wirelessmacuser
Nov 5, 2010, 03:51 AM
Guess it was my first time giving them a shot, and my last. :-)

Your statement above is very revealing.

To judge a company so harshly over one issue is to cheat yourself. Gary is the owner, and SFBAGS do not use form letters nor do they mislead their customers. They operate one of the finest bag businesses ever.

Stop and _think_

The MBA is a very hot model and keeping up with demand can be challenging. Especially when your product is so great. I've been a customer of SFBAGS for years, have loads of their bags, the quality and durability is second to none.

So before you trash them get your facts straight.

koobcamuk
Nov 5, 2010, 05:00 AM
Arrogance should be EARNED, and judging by their size and standing, they haven't earned the arrogance afforded to companies like Apple.

Arrogance should not be earned, it's a disgusting trait. I think you mean "respect has to be earned".

Arrogance puts me off anything and anyone. It's a reason why many Americans (mostly those on the internet) disgust me.

-----------------------------

Bella, can we see any of the emails?

kapalua12
Nov 5, 2010, 05:20 AM
I completely agree with the majority of posters on this thread. I have several bags from Waterfield design and they are great people with fantastic, well made products. They are quick to design new products. Much faster than most companies and the people there are a delight to do business with.

They answer e mails promptly and courteously and their custom made products seem to be released WAY before the majority of the Incase and similar large companies and companies who take forever to bring a product to market.

That said, I'm waiting for my sleeve case for my 13 " MBA which is due to ship FedEX today and I know I will get a great product. I have a similar version on my iPAD and 15 "Unibody MBP and I love their products. I also have several of their bags. So you can see I do have some considerable experience with them.

Yes, they did get slammed with a huge volume of orders since the iPhone 4, iPADs and latest Unibody MBP's were released. Sometimes "small" is a virtue in terms of market responsiveness.

They have treated me very well and I'll be a customer for life with them.

TP in Connecticut

PBG4 Dude
Nov 5, 2010, 08:17 AM
Well if you know anyone with a sowing machine you could always go to a craft shop and get some kind of fabric/material and have them make you one. Don't see it being too difficult.

Did this back when I had my Ti PBG4. Cost nothing compared to a purchased sleeve and it was just what I wanted! :D

justin216
Nov 5, 2010, 08:53 AM
I recently ordered my 6th bag over the past several years from Waterfield, and as has been the case all along, was an excellent transaction.

I ordered a Sm. Cosmo w/ a Sleevecase and CableGuy for my Macbook Air 11.6, and only selected the $10 priority mail shipping. Received the case yesterday, a day earlier than I expected, and everything was in order. Waterfield tends to also include a personalized, hand-written note to the client, which I believe speaks volumes about their customer care and service -- I've ordered a ton of other boutique bags and cases over the years, and none have went this far.

As for the OP, that's really surprising and unfortunate that you had some type of clash with Waterfield. But, even the best companies in the world get negative press, and they can't always make everyone happy.

HoOn
Nov 5, 2010, 09:09 AM
It seems I'm like everyone else in this thread. I've probably bought close to 10 things from Gary and his crew maybe close to 9-10 years now and never had any problems. I actually just ordered the sleeve before seeing this thread.

Not sure what happened but hopefully you weren't too demanding to have them turn you away. I'm not sure if you can any other company that close to its customers like sfbags. Like who even owns incase? Can you talk to their owner? lol

rkahl
Nov 5, 2010, 09:10 AM
Ha Ha, it's called Karma. The OP came down on me when I was frustrated with the whole shipping thing, now he's getting what he deserved. Funny how his personality shows... block lists and business canceling his order because they don't like his attitude. You must be a real joy to be around!

mac jones
Nov 5, 2010, 09:14 AM
I actually have two waiting for me in the mail room.....:o

I know....I'm bad.

SmaugG5
Nov 5, 2010, 09:16 AM
No offense OP but if you were as demanding to WF as you appear in this thread I don't blame WF for telling you to take your business elsewhere. The customer is not always right especially when they are rude, demanding and overbearing. Good for Gary.

HoOn
Nov 5, 2010, 09:35 AM
rkahl, I'm curious what happened with you and the OP? I am always for customers warning us about bad vendors but I hate it even more when they purposely try to discredit them without legitimate cause.

rkahl
Nov 5, 2010, 09:41 AM
rkahl, I'm curious what happened with you and the OP? I am always for customers warning us about bad vendors but I hate it even more when they purposely try to discredit them without legitimate cause.

Long story short... my MBA was lost for a few days in FedEx's hands. They had my item to be delivered, but it never happened until 4 days past the delivery time, even tho I paid extra for 2-3 day shipping. The OP called me a liar and laughed about my impatience with FedEx. Ha Ha, look who's laughing now!

///M5
Nov 5, 2010, 09:42 AM
Oh well, this is my first purchase from WF. The sleeves I ordered for the 11" MBA should ship today. Will report back.

FuNGi
Nov 5, 2010, 09:48 AM
Sorry to hear about you poor experience. FWIW, I ordered my sleeve on Oct 25 @ 10PM, it shipped on Oct 29 and arrived on Nov 1. It's a nice product - looks almost Apple OEM. I have an iPhone case from them. Customer service has been good in my experience.

Exactly the same experience. Rapid manufacturing and shipping for my 13" Air. Although I emailed with Melissa not Gary. Anyway, I ended up returning mine with no issues - I just didn't like the look of the verticle sleeve I ordered and ended up with an incase designed for the 13" macbook pro. Surprisingly the Air doesn't swim inside this thing.

i agree that the OP must have been one rude and impatient fellow to the WF staff.

The Toddfather
Nov 5, 2010, 09:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJujj_TKtyo&feature=player_embedded#!

runnin17
Nov 5, 2010, 10:18 AM
While this may be a negative customer experience story, here is a story about how apple's customer service did me a solid recently.

I had tons of left over rewards points from amex. I used them to order $250 worth of apple store gift cards. Order placed and confirmation emal received. Estimated ship date was NOV 24, order was placed on OCT 28. So naturally I am wondering why it takes a month to ship 3 gifts cards.

I called apple, spoke with a CSR (can't remember his name). He put me on hold a couple of times and plainly admitted he was not sure why the ship date was so far out. He said he would flag the order and sent it up the chain. I said okay and waited a couple of days. I check the order status two days later and it said that the order was cancelled, but it looked like a duplicate order had been placed (so basically a cancel and re-order thing).

So I call apple again and ask them what's up. The CSR was helpful and said that the order was still on its way and it was "prepared for shipment" (meaning it would probably ship in a day or two). Got an email confirming that the order did in fact ship on NOV 4 and would be delivered by NOV 9.

I also asked if I would be able to apply these gift cards to my recent 13" CTO MBA and they said that yes I could. I would just have to call apple and have them apply the gift cards to my MBA order and they would credit my amex.

Seems like smooth service to me :p

unagimiyagi
Nov 5, 2010, 10:43 AM
Guys and gals,

How much padding is in this $50 case? Is 6 mm more than say, an incase sleeve that you can buy in the apple store for the regular-size macbook pro? That's what I'm familiar with.
Also, I am concerned that the neoprene lining/padding will be static-shock inducing during the winter months when it's dry. I hate getting shocked by my macbook pro all the time, so a word about protection and the lining, please :> There is a Spire boot laptop case that has non-neoprene padding, just sort of like backpack strap cushioning and it's perfect. But they don't make an 11.6" version.

For a perfect fit, is the waterfield sleeve the only game in town for the foreseeable future?

bella92108
Nov 5, 2010, 11:00 AM

I thought about that but I'll just wait until incase or someone comes out with a neoprene sleeve. :-)

pvmacguy
Nov 5, 2010, 11:05 AM
While this may be a negative customer experience story, here is a story about how apple's customer service did me a solid recently.

I had tons of left over rewards points from amex. I used them to order $250 worth of apple store gift cards. Order placed and confirmation emal received. Estimated ship date was NOV 24, order was placed on OCT 28. So naturally I am wondering why it takes a month to ship 3 gifts cards.

I called apple, spoke with a CSR (can't remember his name). He put me on hold a couple of times and plainly admitted he was not sure why the ship date was so far out. He said he would flag the order and sent it up the chain. I said okay and waited a couple of days. I check the order status two days later and it said that the order was cancelled, but it looked like a duplicate order had been placed (so basically a cancel and re-order thing).

So I call apple again and ask them what's up. The CSR was helpful and said that the order was still on its way and it was "prepared for shipment" (meaning it would probably ship in a day or two). Got an email confirming that the order did in fact ship on NOV 4 and would be delivered by NOV 9.

I also asked if I would be able to apply these gift cards to my recent 13" CTO MBA and they said that yes I could. I would just have to call apple and have them apply the gift cards to my MBA order and they would credit my amex.

Seems like smooth service to me :p

Why deal with all that BS when you could have bought what you wanted from apple with your amex and then just used those rewards points towards your statement bill.

runnin17
Nov 5, 2010, 11:51 AM
Why deal with all that BS when you could have bought what you wanted from apple with your amex and then just used those rewards points towards your statement bill.

The conversion rate was only 0.05%. There was a special going on until Dec 31st at the amex rewards store that allowed you to redeem most of the gift cards at a discount of 30% (so for a $100 gift card, instead of costing 20,000 reward points, it only costs 14,000). This made it a conversion rate of 0.07% I believe. Allowed me to save an extra $75 by getting the gift card instead of using the points on my amex statement.