PDA

View Full Version : Why still no Skype for iPad?

Ciclismo
Nov 4, 2010, 08:55 PM
Seriously, the iPad has been available for quite some time, so the initial argument from Skype that they need to get their hands on the hardware in order to develop an iPad app should have long since been resolved (unless they're broke).

Where oh where is the damn app then? Has anyone got any info beyond the one post on their blog?

Thomas Davie
Nov 4, 2010, 10:49 PM
I don't know where the damn iPad app is, but in the mean damn time I'll use the damn iPhone app, and suggest you do the same damn thing. :)

The above is said tongue in cheek, but seriously, the Phone app works, so until there is an iPad app........

Tom

Ciclismo
Nov 5, 2010, 01:15 AM
I just loathe using the iPhone keyboard in the app as it is awkward to use - it would be fine on an iPhone where you can use your thumbs, but that is not as nice to do on an iPad.

kenypowa
Nov 5, 2010, 11:23 AM
Seriously, the iPad has been available for quite some time, so the initial argument from Skype that they need to get their hands on the hardware in order to develop an iPad app should have long since been resolved (unless they're broke).

Where oh where is the damn app then? Has anyone got any info beyond the one post on their blog?

It took 1.5 year for Skype to release its Android app, and it doesn't even support any of the Samsung Galaxy S phones. So don't hold your breath, Skype will release its iPad version sometime in 2010.

Seriosuly, Skype mobile development is a pile of *****.

Rob Holloway
Dec 19, 2010, 11:02 AM
It took 1.5 year for Skype to release its Android app, and it doesn't even support any of the Samsung Galaxy S phones. So don't hold your breath, Skype will release its iPad version sometime in 2010.

Well we are now only 12 days from the end of 2010 and the iPad has been out for 8 months
Still no ipad app

Rob

Alvi
Dec 19, 2010, 11:10 AM
Yeah, it kinda sucks, but I still use my iPhone for Skype most of the time, The iPad is just too big for skype (with headphones).
When I talk on skype i usually use my headphones and put my phone in my pocket

fpsBeaTt
Mar 15, 2011, 08:22 PM
Sorry for this, but I had to bump this thread.

RadicalxEdward
Mar 20, 2011, 04:40 PM
Sorry for this, but I had to bump this thread.

agreed, WHERE IS SKYPE FOR IPAD!!!

Charlie Sheen
Mar 20, 2011, 04:42 PM
whats wrong with the iphone app. i think the ipad app will be out there on a couple of weeks due to the ipad 2 camera

RadicalxEdward
Mar 20, 2011, 04:49 PM
whats wrong with the iphone app. i think the ipad app will be out there on a couple of weeks due to the ipad 2 camera

theyve been saying it'll be out soon since the original ipad came out.

trainguy77
Mar 20, 2011, 05:09 PM
Skype is one of the worst developers out there. They have been slow for everything. Don't expect an update for another while.

Staindsoul
Mar 20, 2011, 06:30 PM
Skype is one of the worst developers out there. They have been slow for everything. Don't expect an update for another while.

this

browndktr
Mar 31, 2011, 09:35 AM
still no skype app for ipad? i know i can use the iphone app, but seriously its awkward and an ipad optimized version would be so very nice!

what could possibly be taking so long?

kultschar
Mar 31, 2011, 09:44 AM
still no skype app for ipad? i know i can use the iphone app, but seriously its awkward and an ipad optimized version would be so very nice!

what could possibly be taking so long?

I remember waiting for Skype to appear on 1st gen iPhone, it took forever!!

thedon1
Mar 31, 2011, 10:32 AM
Is skype run by a team of like 5 people or something?

They take so long with their mobile apps, even though i'm sure there are a lot of users wanting them. I've also read a lot recently about how they really need to sort out their UI, especially on the mac.

These things don't seem to be a priority for them.

jonnysods
Mar 31, 2011, 03:42 PM
This is pretty frustrating that Skype haven't done this. I'm sure though with all the software versions out there they must be working on it and are behind.

But necessary now the iP2 is out!

rtolboom
Apr 1, 2011, 07:43 AM
Sorry but this is no joke... I read this on the Skype forums (http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=741633&view=findpost&p=3353219):

Thanks everyone for your input on Skype for iPad. The release of the iPad 2 has sent our Skype development team back to the drawing board to completely redesign the user experience and feature set for a version of Skype befitting this innovative device.

We plan to reach Skype for iPad beta release 11 months from today. Hopefully Apple will have changed the App store rules to allow for beta software release by then, and hopefully they will not be shipping a newer iPad 3 model by then.

ps. This was posted late march 2011...

steadysignal
Apr 1, 2011, 08:34 AM
Sorry but this is no joke... I read this on the Skype forums (http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=741633&view=findpost&p=3353219):

dev cycles? or making molasses?

competition hopefully will motivate. or not.

thedon1
Apr 1, 2011, 08:37 AM

11 months? WOW.

I'm no Ipad dev, but considering that the core functionality of skype allready works on iOS, wouldn't it just be a case of creating a new UI and tweaking what's aleady there?

This leaves the door open for a competitor.

EmmEff
Apr 1, 2011, 10:27 AM
This leaves the door open for a competitor.

I wish... we only use Skype because there's nothing else.

I guess their crack team of UI developers is working on making the iPad Skype experience as pitiful as the experience is with 5.x on OS X.

darylsudden
Apr 1, 2011, 03:07 PM

This was posted late march 2011 by a USER, not a dev.

But still, would be cool to have a Skype app soon ~_~ pretty sure it'll take ages, as I know them. I'll just facetime with people who own Apple devices from now on.

Arfus
May 4, 2011, 10:55 AM
This was posted late march 2011 by a USER, not a dev.

But still, would be cool to have a Skype app soon ~_~ pretty sure it'll take ages, as I know them. I'll just facetime with people who own Apple devices from now on.

Really hope they Remake the App. Really wouldl ike to be able to Chat and Video conferance at the same time!

vga4life
May 14, 2011, 03:32 PM
Really hope they Remake the App. Really wouldl ike to be able to Chat and Video conferance at the same time!

Now that they are owned by Microsoft, I would expect there will be no more Skype versions for any non-Windows platforms, period.

rikbrown
May 15, 2011, 09:46 AM
They have said they will continue to support other platforms.

WorldIRC
May 15, 2011, 09:48 AM
Now that they are owned by Microsoft, I would expect there will be no more Skype versions for any non-Windows platforms, period.

Why would you say that? Microsoft Office for Mac is highly supported by Microsoft.

As well, Skype "makes money"...why cut off a major percentage of your mobile client base...

matt90036
May 15, 2011, 10:28 AM
Why would you say that? Microsoft Office for Mac is highly supported by Microsoft.

As well, Skype "makes money"...why cut off a major percentage of your mobile client base...

Now that we are owned by microsoft we will for sure get skype on ipad. Microsoft is a software company and they have proven to be one by updating office for macs.

nwbusa
May 15, 2011, 06:48 PM
Now that we are owned by microsoft we will for sure get skype on ipad. Microsoft is a software company and they have proven to be one by updating office for macs.

I lol'd

Stetrain
May 15, 2011, 08:52 PM
I lol'd

If it wouldn't compete directly with their fledgling Windows Phone platform I'd bet that they would already have a nice office suit on iOS as well. The Bing iOS app is pretty nice, and I'm not a Bing fan.

ssdeg7
May 17, 2011, 04:57 PM

I'm guessing they will release a universal app around september 2011 if we're lucky

EmmEff
May 17, 2011, 06:08 PM
I'm guessing they will release a universal app around september 2011 if we're lucky

Why that timeframe specifically? Do you know something that we don't?