PDA

View Full Version : quick question from 128 ssd owners

corriewf
Nov 4, 2010, 09:08 PM
I had something weird happen today while using parallel. I put a rather large folder in the windows 7 folder and it disappeared. I can't find it anywhere but suspect the space is still being taken on the ssd. I have rebuilt the spotlight search index and installed mackeeper to try and find it to no avail.

Can someone tell me out of the box how much space is available on the 128 ssd? I know the capacity is 120.99 but what is actually available?

Thanks!

pfjellman
Nov 5, 2010, 01:40 AM
i had about 104GB left out of the box.

corriewf
Nov 5, 2010, 11:49 AM
i had about 104GB left out of the box.

Oh ok..then maybe the file is gone. It was quite weird because one sec it was there and the next gone. I am down to 60 gigs available so every little bit counts. Thanks!

dougan
Nov 5, 2010, 12:11 PM
I had 106 OTB, got it to 109 after getting rid of a few iLife apps that I won't use and some other stuff.

pfjellman
Nov 5, 2010, 01:05 PM
get monolingual or xslimmer and strip out all of the unneeded binaries and languages from your apps. it saves quite a bit of space.

also, keep an eye on system cache folders, application support folders, etc. etc. just deleting iDVD and the accompanying support folders (themes, etc) saved me like 3-4GB. i don't need iDVD on this thing, i never even use it on my mac pro.

elwood58
Nov 5, 2010, 11:04 PM
Monolingual saved me 1.6 GB of space.

Hellishness
Nov 6, 2010, 01:00 AM
I reinstalled a few times, and it was 109 out of the box, 116 without iLife.

corriewf
Nov 7, 2010, 03:57 AM
get monolingual or xslimmer and strip out all of the unneeded binaries and languages from your apps. it saves quite a bit of space.

also, keep an eye on system cache folders, application support folders, etc. etc. just deleting iDVD and the accompanying support folders (themes, etc) saved me like 3-4GB. i don't need iDVD on this thing, i never even use it on my mac pro.

Are those apps free? I am using a trial of mackeeper which seems to do a good job, but if I could save a few $$. I am down to 60 gigs and fear I may just run out of space. :(

J273
Nov 7, 2010, 04:03 AM
What size is ideal for a windows 7 installation and a few base apps.?

corriewf
Nov 10, 2010, 05:55 PM
What size is ideal for a windows 7 installation and a few base apps.?

I think windows 7 takes up a good 7 gigs. I would say 15 gigs, but with any games....30 gigs.