Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickM21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
First off, I wanted to say that I have been using a HP Mini netbook as my primary computer. Now, I have the option of buying a 11 inch MacBook Air, or a MacBook Pro 13 for the same price (local retailer is having a sale for $999.99). I really like the MBA but I feel like I would be cheating myself if I did not get the MacBook Pro with better specs since I want to use it as a my primary computer. Like I said, I've been using a HP Mini with 1 gb RAM and 16GB hard drive as my main computer. I don't do any crazy stuff except I would like to use Photoshop a little for fun and would take advantage of iLife. With all that said, Do you think I can use the base 11' MBA as my main computer?

also should i get the MBP solely because it offers me better specs rather than the sexy machine that the MBA is?

Thanks, you guys always have great opinions!

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
yes, you could use the base Macbook air as your main computer. It will be better than your current computer. As far as whether to get the air or the pro, I would say go for the air since I prefer those, but either one would be a good machine.

RickM21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I guess the thing I'm worried about is that the MacBook Pro is about 8 months outdated while the MacBook Air is brand new. Should I care about that, this will be my first mac so I don't know. Like I said, I feel like the pros of having the air are mainly portability and looks, hard to resist. Thanks for your reply!

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
I too had a nice 11.6 Mini but gave it to my neice! The 11.6 MBA is soooo much better and if you are attracted to the size and form factor, like me, the MBA would serve you very well compared to your Mini.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
I guess the thing I'm worried about is that the MacBook Pro is about 8 months outdated while the MacBook Air is brand new. Should I care about that, this will be my first mac so I don't know. Like I said, I feel like the pros of having the air are mainly portability and looks, hard to resist. Thanks for your reply!

I would not worry about the 8 month outdated thing though. I do think you'd love the MBA!

re2st

macrumors regular
May 2, 2007
San Jose, CA
HP Mini is lighter than MBP 13". You will miss the lightweight if you get the MBP.

I say get the MBA, you'll appreciate how lightweight it is, even more so than the Mini.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
I say go for the MBA. Even though the MBP might have better spec, for what you use a computer for you will not notice a difference between the machines. If anything the MBA will feel faster then the MBP because of the SSD (coming from someone who has MBA and access to MBP).

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Considering you have bee using the HP mini as your main, the 11"MBA would easily serve your needs. Don't let the "specs" fool you, the SSD storage make the MBA feel much faster than the CPU would lead you to believe, either way it's many times faster than your current computer and it will seem faster in all respects except raw processing of video, photos or compiling data.

I have to agree with the others, the MBA would be the easy choice here.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I think the OP is going to have to decide whether the extra power and screen real estate the 13 inch MBP provides but the 11 inch MBA does not is enough to overcome the 11 inch MBA's significantly smaller size and lighter weight. For example, compared to the 13 inch MBP's 4.5 pounds, the 11 inch MBA weighs in at a svelte 2.3 pounds and on average is less than .5 inch thick. It's a hard call because there is a lot to be said for either machine. Simply put, you couldn't go wrong with either one.

elwood58

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2010
California
The MBP 13 is one heck of a system, especially for a first time user of this class of system. On board Superdrive, SD Card Slot, 4 GB base RAM, upgradeable to 8 GB. Decent screen, and not all that big and heavy.

The simple use case you describe, and the fact that you are coming from the HP Mini as a main computer system, means that either one will meet your short term needs, and the MBA is certainly a lite load, and a pleasure to use. For portability, low risk of crashing, and the latest technology (CPU excepted), the MBA wins. For pure resources, power and expandability in the future, there is no question that the MBP is the better value.

RickM21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Thanks for the input guys, I ended up purchasing a MacBook Pro 13 inch for 949.99 before taxes, and that was a deal that i could not pass up considering it's about 250 off the retail price. I'm very happy with it so far, 1st day, although the thinness factor is amazing I felt since I was investing about a grand on a product which was going to be my main computer, the MBP was a better value. I appreciate everyone's input!

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
Thanks for the input guys, I ended up purchasing a MacBook Pro 13 inch for 949.99 before taxes, and that was a deal that i could not pass up considering it's about 250 off the retail price. I'm very happy with it so far, 1st day, although the thinness factor is amazing I felt since I was investing about a grand on a product which was going to be my main computer, the MBP was a better value. I appreciate everyone's input!
I think you make a good choice. My grandson has the same MBP you bought and loves it. Better yet, to my way of thinking, even at its $1,199.00 retail price the entry level 13 inch MBP provides more bang for the buck that any other Mac in the lineup. Now, while you enjoy the performance of your MBP you can also congratulate yourself for being a frugal shopper.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.