Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hobbes203

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
So, me being a fool, I bought the 13" MBA with 128. Well, I now only have ~30 gigabytes left because I was a damn fool, a fool who downloaded about 73 TV shows (Itunes Entourage and Dexter, Dexter being HD)... onto my SSD.

I know - I should have bought a LaCie Rikiki hard drive but, what's done is done. So the question is... how do I secure erase the SSD?

I'm planning to buy an external hard drive at the digital campus store, and I looked at the SSD secure erase guide but seems like it requires for me to disconnect the SATA connection.

Of course, I don't want to void my warranty after 2 weeks, nor do I want my SSD to suddenly have a performance drop in the next 2 weeks.

Can anyone be of assistance?

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
You did nothing wrong. It's never easy to determine the perfect model for ones needs.

The only users that may truly be short sighted are the ones that believe 2GB ram will keep them happy over the long haul.

How to fix your problem, call Apple, I've found them to be of exceptional help. I've made the same mistake in the past. They were happy to migrate me to the proper model.

They even waived the restock fee and threw in free shipping. All because I was courteous and candid. I've always had stellar experiences with Apples customer care.

However the in-store experience tends to be more of a crap shoot.

re2st

macrumors regular
May 2, 2007
San Jose, CA
I think you're just trying to justify your remorse for not getting the 256.

You can just erase those files as usual as if you're using regular HD. There's no need to do "secure erase", unless you have confidential materials that you need to completely erase and plan on selling the Air. There will be no drop in performance. If there is, it would be really really minuscule you wouldn't even notice.

I personally would go for 128GB if they offered the option for the 2.13 13". But they don't, so I'm stuck with 256GB, which I will never, in a million years, fill up half way.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Do you have to store all that TV in your iTunes library?

Should be able to move it to an external disk easily.

iTunes DRM content will play on your Mac from the desktop using quicktime, as long as the iTunes on that Mac is authorised to your iTunes account.

So you can get the video files, copy them to another disk and then have iTunes delete them from it's library. Now you can play the files from the desktop using quicktime - and if you want to have them back in your library, just drop them back onto the iTunes dock icon and they'll copy onto your SSD again.

Test it on a file or two before moving the whole lot - but this should all work fine.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
So, me being a fool, I bought the 13" MBA with 128. Well, I now only have ~30 gigabytes left because I was a damn fool, a fool who downloaded about 73 TV shows (Itunes Entourage and Dexter, Dexter being HD)... onto my SSD.

I know - I should have bought a LaCie Rikiki hard drive but, what's done is done. So the question is... how do I secure erase the SSD?

I'm planning to buy an external hard drive at the digital campus store, and I looked at the SSD secure erase guide but seems like it requires for me to disconnect the SATA connection.

Of course, I don't want to void my warranty after 2 weeks, nor do I want my SSD to suddenly have a performance drop in the next 2 weeks.

Can anyone be of assistance?

I'm assuming you want the secure erase to prevent a performance drop associated with early SSDs. I don't think that is really necessary. However, I think you can do the equivalent by booting from the USB stick. The before installation starts select Disk Utility from the menu bar. Select the disk then under the erase section select the the options and select "write zeros to disk".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.