PDA

View Full Version : Love my 11.6" MBA, but my eyes don't!

ATHmathieu
Nov 5, 2010, 08:11 AM
I love the weight, design, and portability of my 11.6" MBA. However, the screen has been starting to annoy my eyes. This is the only non-IPS display I use and to my the colors are way too neutral/not true and the viewing angles are horrible (TN panels need to be banned). I'm constantly tilting the screen and turning the brightness up and down.

After about 10 mins of use my eyes are starting to hurt and I have to switch back to my X41 Tablet and my eyes thank me. I'm afraid I'm going to have to sell the MBA. I don't want to because I love the new design so much, but my eyes just can't take it anymore.

If only they made it with IPS or at least a PVA panel. :(

koobcamuk
Nov 5, 2010, 08:17 AM
Want to swap it for my iPad and a little cash? :)

ATHmathieu
Nov 5, 2010, 08:37 AM
Want to swap it for my iPad and a little cash? :)

Whilst I love the screen on the iPad, it's just not the device for me. Thanks for the offer of help though :)

koobcamuk
Nov 5, 2010, 08:40 AM
Whilst I love the screen on the iPad, it's just not the device for me. Thanks for the offer of help though :)

Heh, no worries. I am getting mixed reports. I've not seen one of these myself and as such, I can't really comment.

All I know is that I can't type anything of any worth on the iPad. Just quick things.

Hey ho.

Jiten
Nov 5, 2010, 08:44 AM
Perhaps it is a good time to invest in a good quality external monitor for prolonged use :)

teerexx52
Nov 5, 2010, 08:49 AM
I love the weight, design, and portability of my 11.6" MBA. However, the screen has been starting to annoy my eyes. This is the only non-IPS display I use and to my the colors are way too neutral/not true and the viewing angles are horrible (TN panels need to be banned). I'm constantly tilting the screen and turning the brightness up and down.

After about 10 mins of use my eyes are starting to hurt and I have to switch back to my X41 Tablet and my eyes thank me. I'm afraid I'm going to have to sell the MBA. I don't want to because I love the new design so much, but my eyes just can't take it anymore.

If only they made it with IPS or at least a PVA panel. :(

I understand it well. I have a week left on taking mine back to get a maxed 13". Hate to do it so I keep working on this one. Good luck

maflynn
Nov 5, 2010, 08:49 AM
On one hand, its hard to justify an IPS panel for a 999 laptop, especially since apple (anyone?) doesn't even use IPS for any of their other laptop offerings.

On the other hand, I agree with the OP, its 2010, and the use of IPS panels should be more common place, even if apple uses them in the MBP line.

bcaslis
Nov 5, 2010, 09:18 AM
I understand it well. I have a week left on taking mine back to get a maxed 13". Hate to do it so I keep working on this one. Good luck

Really? I thought you returned a 13" for the 11"? Are you going to go back to the 13"?

AppleGoddess
Nov 5, 2010, 09:30 AM
I sold my ipad but miss it however i think the 11.6 is much better on my eyes, no glare.

I thought you bought the 13'' already?

ATHmathieu
Nov 5, 2010, 10:08 AM
Perhaps it is a good time to invest in a good quality external monitor for prolonged use :)

Tried that. Have a NEC IPS and using the MiniDP to DVI resulted in a fairly decent image, but it's a cumbersome process just to get good color (and it's not portable).

bowlerman625
Nov 5, 2010, 10:14 AM
I've read other comments that you get used to it. So far I'm okay with it but I do notice it's smaller. I think I will be fine. I just love everything else about it especially the form factor!

Pipper99
Nov 5, 2010, 11:00 AM
New glasses, maybe? Readers? Just a thought. I finally got progressive lenses, and my eyes don't bother me on small computers or print now.

kyleen66
Nov 5, 2010, 11:08 AM
New glasses, maybe? Readers? Just a thought. I finally got progressive lenses, and my eyes don't bother me on small computers or print now.

This.

While we don't like to admit it, our eyes do age and there comes a time to get them checked. Could be the problems with the new screen is a sign of maybe needing glasses. I know I certainly need to go get mine checked and probably adjusted to the "over 40 and you just plain need glasses" now thing.

gwsat
Nov 5, 2010, 11:19 AM
Although I was very tempted my the 11 inch MBA, I finally chose the 13 inch model because I wanted it to replace my MBP as my every day computer. I was a little afraid the 11 inch MBA's screen would be a little too small for that purpose.

Nonetheless, I think the $999 entry level MBA would be a great iPad substitute for those who don't need the iPad's 3G feature. The MBA is almost as small and lightweight as the iPad and is exponentially more powerful. The downside, of course is that the 64GB MBA costs $300 more, about 42 percent, than the 64GB WiFi only iPad.

entatlrg
Nov 5, 2010, 11:28 AM
I'm the one here who's always complaining about screen quality and I'm surprised to read your comments.

I think the 11 and 13" MBA screens are incredible, sharp crisp fonts, super easy to read, one of the notebook screens on the market in my experience and I've used a LOT of notebooks.....

So easy to zoom to increase the font size too!

fyrefly
Nov 5, 2010, 12:31 PM
I had the same problem on the 11" - so I returned it. Text so small, eye-strain right away.

I'm trying a 13" now, but It's not much better... I think I'll be sticking with my RevB MBA - even if it is a bit slower (I have an SSD one so it's not *that* much slower).

silverblack
Nov 5, 2010, 12:48 PM
I had the same problem on the 11" - so I returned it. Text so small, eye-strain right away.

Did you try hitting "Command +" on your keyboard?

iRun26.2
Nov 5, 2010, 12:54 PM

Who would want to do that all of the time? I would never have ordered my 11.6" MBA had I needed to do that when I was checking one out at the store.

gwsat
Nov 5, 2010, 01:07 PM
Who would want to do that all of the time? I would never have ordered my 11.6" MBA had I needed to do that when I was checking one out at the store.
I used the :apple:+ keyboard shortcut even with my 17 inch MBP. It wasn't necessary often but I inevitably came across sites once in awhile on which the fonts used were so tiny it was far easier to use the keyboard shortcut to increase it. Also, the shortcut only affects the page you are on. Any other pages that you haven't made the adjustment to will look as they always did. When the font looks too big you can simply use :apple:- to make it smaller. What the heck, that's why those shortcuts are there so why not use them?

Scepticalscribe
Nov 5, 2010, 01:07 PM

Bless you for that; I didn't even know of this "command", and to my delight, it works wonderfully well. An ease for strained eyes. Thank you.

To the OP, you have my sympathy. As it happens, I wear glasses, and while I love my MBA (13" Rev C SSD), - it's a superb computer - when I got my 15" MBP back from repairs, I noticed at once the the difference in the screen, and that my eyes have been a bit more strained using the MBA.

Cheers

felt.
Nov 5, 2010, 01:11 PM
iPad: 132 PPI
17" MBP: 133 PPI
11" MacBookAir: 135 PPI

wat..?

Maven1975
Nov 5, 2010, 01:15 PM
Dont feel bad, I had to returm my 11 for the exact same reason. While the display is crisp, my eyes struggled to focus correctly on the display. Pulled it away from me and I was good for 2 minutes, brought it closer and it was fine for another two.

The form factor is great! But I would only be comfortable using it in short bursts.

Now, if we could only get Apple to give us an Anti-Glare option for the 13. :)

gloryunited
Nov 5, 2010, 01:22 PM
Changing the resolution really not an option in Mac OS?

I have never used Mac's before, considering buying my first one (MBA) though. If the texts appear too small to me, I would definitely want to adjust the resolution to suit my eyes.

teerexx52
Nov 5, 2010, 01:32 PM
Really? I thought you returned a 13" for the 11"? Are you going to go back to the 13"?

Nope. Just worried over time if my eyes will hold up. Planning on keeping this one. One of the things I keep thinking about is that someone posted a bit back that the 13" MacBook Air's font is 6% bigger than on the 11.6". Another guy posted he went from the 11.6 to the 13 because he was having trouble reading the screen and said it made little difference. Could be that 6% difference really isn't going to help to switching to a 13" isn't going to help??? Make any sense?

gwsat
Nov 5, 2010, 02:32 PM

I have never used Mac's before, considering buying my first one (MBA) though. If the texts appear too small to me, I would definitely want to adjust the resolution to suit my eyes.
There are at least 3 ways to change screen resolution on OS X:

(1) Use the :apple:+ or :apple:- keyboard shortcut to either increase or decrease the size of the image being displayed

(2) Go to Displays Preference and change the screen resolution from, in the case of the 13 inch MBA, 1440 X 900 to 1280 X 800; this will automatically increase the size of the image, although it will, of course, reduce the resolution

(3) Use the trackpad to two-finger scroll vertically while depressing the control key to zoom in or out.

This is all very quick and easy to do. The only one that is even remotely tricky is (2) to change the screen resolution. If you check Show displays in menu bar option, you can do this one from the desktop.

fyrefly
Nov 5, 2010, 03:08 PM

OS X does not have resolution independence. So changing the resolution to a non-native one for the panel makes the screen look terrible.

There are at least 3 ways to change screen resolution on OS X:

(1) Use the :apple:+ or :apple:- keyboard shortcut to either increase or decrease the size of the image being displayed

(2) Go to Displays Preference and change the screen resolution from, in the case of the 13 inch MBA, 1440 X 900 to 1280 X 800; this will automatically increase the size of the image, although it will, of course, reduce the resolution

(3) Use the trackpad to two-finger scroll vertically while depressing the control key to zoom in or out.

This is all very quick and easy to do. The only one that is even remotely tricky is (2) to change the screen resolution. If you check Show displays in menu bar option, you can do this one from the desktop.

1) CMD+ and CMD- are fine, but not when you have to have them on every site, and pressing them makes the text way out of proportion with the BG most of the time, and on the 11" makes you have to do more annoying scrolling. :)

2) Already covered above. I can only hope that OSX Lion gets Resolution Independence, so that people who don't want tiny UI elements can continue to buy macs (which seem to be headed to higher and higher resolutions).

3) The zoom in and out is fine too - but also a hassle when it's having to be done on 90% of pages you surf to, or annoying to use when you're typing in a document (tho, thankfully on programs like Bean, Word and Final Draft you can just increase the workspace to 200%).

For surfing the best solution I've found so far is trying to use Safari 5's "reader" function whenever possible. The Text is cleaner, easier to read, and larger.

Scott6666
Nov 5, 2010, 03:23 PM
Get them reading glasses out.

I'm 50 now and I'm afraid to say it does help with these high res macs.

$10 glasses and you get to keep your wonderful toy.

gwsat
Nov 5, 2010, 03:31 PM
OS X does not have resolution independence. So changing the resolution to a non-native one for the panel makes the screen look terrible.

1) CMD+ and CMD- are fine, but not when you have to have them on every site, and pressing them makes the text way out of proportion with the BG most of the time, and on the 11" makes you have to do more annoying scrolling. :)

2) Already covered above. I can only hope that OSX Lion gets Resolution Independence, so that people who don't want tiny UI elements can continue to buy macs (which seem to be headed to higher and higher resolutions).

3) The zoom in and out is fine too - but also a hassle when it's having to be done on 90% of pages you surf to, or annoying to use when you're typing in a document (tho, thankfully on programs like Bean, Word and Final Draft you can just increase the workspace to 200%).

For surfing the best solution I've found so far is trying to use Safari 5's "reader" function whenever possible. The Text is cleaner, easier to read, and larger.
First I agree with you that changing the display's resolution gives inferior results than either of the other two options I described. But I see nothing involved in either the :apple:+, :apple:-, or the control-2 finger scroll solutions that could be fairly described as a "hassle." All that means, of course, is that without differences of opinion, bookmakers would starve.:)

Dammit Cubs
Nov 5, 2010, 03:31 PM
iPad: 132 PPI
17" MBP: 133 PPI
11" MacBookAir: 135 PPI

wat..?

Exactly. The text size should be the same for the 11'' and the 13''. You just get more real estate to work with in the 13''. If you are getting eye strain on the 11'', you will get eye strain on the 13''.

Scott6666
Nov 5, 2010, 03:34 PM
Exactly. The text size should be the same for the 11'' and the 13''. You just get more real estate to work with in the 13''. If you are getting eye strain on the 11'', you will get eye strain on the 13''.

Actually the 13" is not in the above. From another post:

MBA 11.6" (1366) = 135.09 PPI, 0.188mm dot pitch, 18250 PPIē
MBA 13.3" (1440) = 127.68 PPI, 0.1989mm dot pitch, 16302 PPI
MBP 13.3" (1280) = 113.49 PPI, 0.2238mm dot pitch, 12880 PPIē

I don't know if difference between 127 and 135 is too little to discern. Certainly the older 13" was very different.

DaveOZ
Nov 5, 2010, 03:38 PM
+1 on the reading glasses. I'm 44 and just upgraded to new glasses and they make reading so much easier. I have a high res MBP 17 as well as the Air 11 and I can't see either of them without the glasses.

I also ran my Spyder Pro on the 11 and it made a huge difference to the contrast and readability. Borrow one if you can. Profile sharing does not work as well.

catdog02481
Nov 5, 2010, 03:43 PM
Have I got the solution for you; i will gladly swap my T60p with the IPS QXGA 15" panel (that is 2048*1536 pixels!) with your 11" MBA if you are so into IPS panels. Also have a x61 tablet with the IPS SXGA+ 12 incher (1400*1050 pixels).
;)

cbronfman
Nov 5, 2010, 03:52 PM
I've always found the events in iCal hard to read, but on my 11.6" MBA, they're very very hard to read. CMD + doesn't work in iCal. Any suggestions?

SamTheeGeek
Nov 5, 2010, 04:10 PM
i was worried about the same thing when deciding on which version of the macbook air to get. Other than the specs are alot better on the 13" i also believed that the 11.6" is just too small for my eyes.

what i would do is change the resolution and always zoom in the text. that is what i do when im using my mac mini connected to my tv.

hope this help and good luck :)

turbineseaplane
Nov 5, 2010, 04:27 PM
Yep. Same opinion.

I was all set to buy a maxed out 11.6"...
..luckily I played with it for about 25 minutes at the Apple Store.

Eyes were hurting and I left with nothing.

Bummed.

jazz1
Nov 5, 2010, 04:54 PM
Maybe we need to relabel this to No Country for Old Men topic. I'm wear bifocals so I'm going to have to check this out carefully next time at the Apple Store. Which is almost every weekend.

shootingrubber
Nov 5, 2010, 04:59 PM
Nope. Just worried over time if my eyes will hold up. Planning on keeping this one. One of the things I keep thinking about is that someone posted a bit back that the 13" MacBook Air's font is 6% bigger than on the 11.6". Another guy posted he went from the 11.6 to the 13 because he was having trouble reading the screen and said it made little difference. Could be that 6% difference really isn't going to help to switching to a 13" isn't going to help??? Make any sense?

It does make sense, which is one of the reasons I ordered the 13-inch, 4GB, 128GB MBA because I will be looking at the screen all day. Couldn't be happier with the purchase:)

Gruber
Nov 5, 2010, 05:18 PM
I agree that the lack of resolution independence is a major gripe on MacOS. If you come from Windows, it is hard to believe that MacOS fails here.

I want more pixels and a sharper image, not smaller fonts. Zooming is inacceptable, and lowering the resolution is ridiculous. Still, I find that a lot of older folks run their Macs on low resolutions, because it is easier to put up with the terrible blurriness instead of the need to put their noses to the screen.

I would not hold my breath. People could already write resolution independent applications, but eventually, Apple would have to announce and enforce this. This will probable take about a year of advance notice, so we won't see it in summer.

The problems do not only apply to 3rd party applications. Most Apple applications fail miserably when you change the resolution (you can already do this using a shell command). iTunes, Finder, Dock etc. - they all need to be partially rewritten.

You can tell that Apple's developers are not preparing for this, because XCode becomes unstable when you change the resolution.

Gruber
Nov 5, 2010, 05:21 PM
I've always found the events in iCal hard to read, but on my 11.6" MBA, they're very very hard to read. CMD + doesn't work in iCal. Any suggestions?

Try BusyCal. You can change font sizes in there.

teerexx52
Nov 5, 2010, 05:26 PM
It does make sense, which is one of the reasons I ordered the 13-inch, 4GB, 128GB MBA because I will be looking at the screen all day. Couldn't be happier with the purchase:)

So the 13" is better for you with the 6% larger font?

yoak
Nov 5, 2010, 05:28 PM
I change the font size all the time when Iīm surfing the web, and itīs super easy.
Just "spread" two fingers horisontaly for increased size and "close" them for decreased size.
Much better than the Zoom function mentioned above as it just affects text. (Its the same as cmd & +)
Couldnīt be simpler in my opinion

(I didnīt re-read the thread, so it could be posted already)

boonedocks
Nov 5, 2010, 05:34 PM
I agree that Macs need resolution independence. OS X is supposed to be the most advanced OS, right?

When I moved to a Mac the small fonts drove me crazy. I found some imperfect solutions.

TinkerTool (http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html) will let you increase the size of some system fonts. It doesn't work for everything and sometimes you'll notice an app where the increase font size doesn't fit properly, but for the most part it's worthwhile.

For websites, you can use that Command + idea. Firefox has a nice add on called "no squint (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2592/)" which will remember the font size you picked on a specific website. I wish Safari had this.

Also on Firefox I was able to use an add-on called Stylish (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2108/) to adjust the font sizes of the Firefox menus and tabs themselves.

Hope it helps.

Lifequest
Nov 5, 2010, 05:34 PM
Could be that 6% difference really isn't going to help to switching to a 13" isn't going to help??? Make any sense?

Not really.

fyrefly
Nov 5, 2010, 05:58 PM
Thanks to all the for CMD+ and "finger zooming" tips. However, I stand by the fact that it's a hassle to have to do this on potentially every site you visit in a high-rez mac (especially with a tiny 11" screen).

It changes things from:

1. Type in URL
2. Hit Enter
3. Page comes up
4. Read
5. Scroll

to:

1. Type in URL
2. Hit Enter
3. Page Comes up - has tiny text
4. CMD + (or Finger Zoom)
4a. Potentially zoom in too much - or too little. Adjust accordingly.
5. Read
6. Scroll
7. Scroll some more 'cause the text is bigger

And that's for *each* site or tab. Not an ideal solution, IMHO, but to each their own.

I would not hold my breath. People could already write resolution independent applications, but eventually, Apple would have to announce and enforce this. This will probable take about a year of advance notice, so we won't see it in summer.

The problems do not only apply to 3rd party applications. Most Apple applications fail miserably when you change the resolution (you can already do this using a shell command). iTunes, Finder, Dock etc. - they all need to be partially rewritten.

You can tell that Apple's developers are not preparing for this, because XCode becomes unstable when you change the resolution.

Darn. This really sucks, 'cause like you say - as the resolutions get higher and higher, the percentage of people who are putting up with a blurry crappy OS just so they don't have to put their nose to the screen to read it is just gonna get larger. :S

Well... guess there's no option for me but to turn on universal access ;)

shootingrubber
Nov 5, 2010, 06:13 PM
So the 13" is better for you with the 6% larger font?

Yes, I noticed quite a big difference in the Apple store one day when I went on them for a long time. I was on the 11-inch for 30 minutes and found myself squinting. Then I switched to the 13-inch and it was a significant improvement. Everyone's experience will obviously be different though.

Gruber
Nov 5, 2010, 06:38 PM
For websites, you can use that Command + idea. Firefox has a nice add on called "no squint (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2592/)" which will remember the font size you picked on a specific website. I wish Safari had this.

For Chrome, there is an extension called "ZoomAll", which changes zoom setting permanently to an arbitrary value.

For Safari, you can create a style sheet to increase the magnification on all webpages, and make Safari execute this on every page you visit. Also, there might be a Safari extension by now.

iRun26.2
Nov 5, 2010, 07:07 PM
This.

While we don't like to admit it, our eyes do age and there comes a time to get them checked. Could be the problems with the new screen is a sign of maybe needing glasses. I know I certainly need to go get mine checked and probably adjusted to the "over 40 and you just plain need glasses" now thing.

From the very beginning, I knew that what I wanted was the smaller 11.6" MBA. I kind of suspected that I would be unhappy with the small screen (my eyes are aging, yet I still read MacRumors in 'portrait mode' on my iPhone 4). I was so happy because it seemed just perfect for me when I tried it out in person at my local Best Buy.

kathfern
Nov 5, 2010, 07:12 PM
I agree the font is small, but so far not having trouble with eye strain.
I have set my preferences in Safari to never use fonts smaller than 14, and that seems to work well for Safari.
For everything else I just enlarge in each application if needed by either using the command+ or just by pinching on the trackpad.

bowlerman625
Nov 5, 2010, 07:16 PM
I change the font size all the time when Iīm surfing the web, and itīs super easy.
Just "spread" two fingers horisontaly for increased size and "close" them for decreased size.
Much better than the Zoom function mentioned above as it just affects text. (Its the same as cmd & +)
Couldnīt be simpler in my opinion

(I didnīt re-read the thread, so it could be posted already)

I just found this out! Very cool!!

iRun26.2
Nov 5, 2010, 07:19 PM

I feel bad about making my previous comment. I thought he was was referring to the 'magnify' (control+track pad) which would be an inconvenient method to deal with the small screen. I didn't realize he was talking about increasing the font size on web-pages.

(I even make 'closed minded' responses sometimes...) :)

ATHmathieu
Nov 5, 2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the replies and suggestions all. I still have to say my issue is NOT with the resolution as I also use an IBM X60 12" Tablet with a 1400X1050 resolution (this is an IPS display). It's more of an issue with the panel type (TN). My eyes have no problem with IPS or even PVA displays, but TN just makes them ache it seems. Maybe it's an LED issue too?

I love this machine and it's sad to part with it now. Wish it were a IPS or PVA panel at least.

Scott6666
Nov 5, 2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the replies and suggestions all. I still have to say my issue is NOT with the resolution as I also use an IBM X60 12" Tablet with a 1400X1050 resolution (this is an IPS display). It's more of an issue with the panel type (TN). My eyes have no problem with IPS or even PVA displays, but TN just makes them ache it seems. Maybe it's an LED issue too?

I love this machine and it's sad to part with it now. Wish it were a IPS or PVA panel at least.

OK I'm dumb. What the heck is TN? And how does that compare to IPS or PVA (whatever they are)

ATHmathieu
Nov 5, 2010, 11:19 PM
OK I'm dumb. What the heck is TN? And how does that compare to IPS or PVA (whatever they are)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG7XNwbUYEM

cbronfman
Nov 6, 2010, 09:19 AM
In system preferences:
- I increased the screen brightness to about 75%
- In universal access and set "text smoothing off for any font smaller than 12 font.
- Increased contrast.
[/LIST]

I sent Feedback to Apple about configuration of iCal to allow setting font color (on my MBA it's blue on blue.

I'm uncertain about downloading and using Busycal in case in screws up my syncing. I haven't yet upgraded iCal on MM since it doesn't allow or screws up syncing with Entourage which I use on my mini and will probably start using on my MBA unless I can enhance event visibility in day view.

kp98077
Nov 6, 2010, 10:23 AM
I have eye strain even with my 15 inch mbp...i believe this is inherent in mac systems as the screens are bright. my 11 bothers me no more than my 15!

gwsat
Nov 6, 2010, 12:21 PM
I have eye strain even with my 15 inch mbp...i believe this is inherent in mac systems as the screens are bright. my 11 bothers me no more than my 15!
Both my 17 inch MBP and 17 Powerbook G4 before it never caused any eye strain for me at all. My 13 inch Ultimate MBA is decent, too, but I am a bit more aware of my aging eyeballs with my 13 inch MBA than I ever was with either of my 17 inch Macs.

By the way, top posting really is regarded as bad form and is distracting to posters who are both aware of the conventions of this community and courteous enough to observe them.

robby818
Nov 6, 2010, 07:43 PM
I prefer to run native res. on my display but what I do to deal with eye strain is use the No Squint plug in Firefox (110% Global setting). Since I am in the browser 90% of the time this is enough for me.

For my parents, I just set the res. to something lower. It's sad to run a 27" iMac at anything but native, but it can't be helped.

dmgoldman
Nov 6, 2010, 11:59 PM
Here are a few more things that helped me immensely:

(A) Safari>Preferences>Advanced Tab: "Never Use Font Sizes Smaller Than 14". This makes some page layouts wonky, but you don't have to zoom in on each and every page. !!!

(B) People haven't mentioned word processing, but I'm guessing that's a major use case for the 11'' Air. It is for me, anyway. "Pages>Rulers>Default Zoom 150%" will make documents (including ones e-mailed to you) default to being pretty well zoomed in.

(C) This is weirder: Flux (http://www.stereopsis.com/flux/) will make your display's color temperature much warmer (more yellow than blue) at night. The colors aren't accurate, but for writing I find it's a little easier on my eyes.

Hope all this helps!
D

Dammit Cubs
Nov 7, 2010, 02:06 AM
yeah this is my only worry right now. To be honest, i have been using this computer on/off all day at work for the past 5 days and I haven't noticed the issue of my eye strain. I feel some eye strain now but i think its more of a ....I slept for 16 hours...not that the mba 11 has a 138ppi.

There are times when I wish i had a 13 inch screen just because bigger is better but at the same time. The size of this guy is just unreal, even compared to the 13in. People who say there isn't a difference and its 0.6 pounds haven't truly used it. Try taking your 13 inch through an airport compared to a 11inch. Trust me, that 0.6 pounds gets heavier with each step.

For most people, seriously guys, if you are on your macbook for more that a couple hours (11in)...then maybe if you are home, just plug it into a monitor. The point of a laptop is to have THE OPTION. but it does come with a mini display port. USE IT.

smaug
Nov 7, 2010, 08:21 AM
The fonts can be a little small, but those are just the default ones. Change the minimum HTML font size in mail to 14 and then adjust the font sizes in your other programs.

For Safari, this extension is excellent:

http://www.wannseii.com/safarimagnifier/

I have it set at 105% at it just slightly increases the font size in safari for much greater readability and no site wonkiness.

freitas
Nov 7, 2010, 08:35 PM
You can scale the display on mac. Makes a big difference. See this hint.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1041265&highlight=