PDA

View Full Version : Tingly sensation when touching MBA

jeznav
Nov 5, 2010, 11:31 AM
I just got the MBA a few days ago and every time I touch the MBA especially the metal surface, I get this tingling, fine buzzing sensation when it touches my skin. It feels like I am getting shocked even if the lid is closed.

Anyone having this problem? It's annoying especially when I type.

Pressure
Nov 5, 2010, 11:34 AM
Is it hooked up to the power adapter?

fs454
Nov 5, 2010, 12:01 PM
My MBP did this when i had it connected to an awful circuit down in my garage. Get a surge protector or something, switch to a different circuit.

foodle
Nov 5, 2010, 12:02 PM
I just got the MBA a few days ago and every time I touch the MBA especially the metal surface, I get this tingling, fine buzzing sensation when it touches my skin. It feels like I am getting shocked even if the lid is closed.

Anyone having this problem? It's annoying especially when I type.

Uh, I'd think this warrants a return ...

jeznav
Nov 5, 2010, 12:09 PM
Is it hooked up to the power adapter?

Yes. Its hooked up to the power adapter but as soon as I unplug it, it stops the buzzing. Other members of my family noticed it too, so I know I am not crazy.

I had a similar problem with my MacPro a while back: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=495905&highlight=

gloryunited
Nov 5, 2010, 12:18 PM
This happens to me when I touch the metal surface of my iPod classic while connected to the computer. I thought it is normal...:confused:

mattpreston11
Nov 5, 2010, 12:19 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1041777&highlight=

gustav531
Nov 5, 2010, 12:22 PM
Nothing to worry about, fairly normal and happens on alot of aluminium computers.

gloryunited
Nov 5, 2010, 12:37 PM
Nothing to worry about, fairly normal and happens on alot of aluminium computers.

So does it happen on ALL MBA's and ALL iPods (with aluminium surface) ?

jeznav
Nov 5, 2010, 12:50 PM
I just removed the 2-prong attachment from the power brick and replaced it with the 3-pronged extension cable that it came with and it stopped buzzing. :)

My guess would be that the MBA needed something to be grounded in that case it was me. :D

mattpreston11, can you confirm this?

EDIT: Now I remember correctly how my MacPro's alum keyboard stop buzzing by removing the two-pronged extension cable attached to the powerbar and attached the powerbar directly to the wall. Stupid me how can I forget this.:o

gloryunited
Nov 5, 2010, 01:12 PM
Does it mean there is no earthing/grounding of the iPod via the USB port?
(the computer of which the iPod is connected to has a 3-prong power plug)

deeddawg
Nov 5, 2010, 01:14 PM
My guess would be that the MBA needed something to be grounded in that case it was me. :D

I'd strongly suggest getting that outlet checked out by someone familiar with household electrical wiring. Your experience suggests at least that the neutral side of the outlet is well above ground.

This is something that could potentially be dangerous if a poorly designed appliance were used in that outlet.

bowlerman625
Nov 5, 2010, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't stand in water while you touch it though!

TheMadBrewer
Nov 5, 2010, 02:16 PM
I get a tingly sensation just looking at a picture of the 11" MBA :)

hundleton1
Nov 5, 2010, 02:16 PM
I'd strongly suggest getting that outlet checked out by someone familiar with household electrical wiring. Your experience suggests at least that the neutral side of the outlet is well above ground.

This is something that could potentially be dangerous if a poorly designed appliance were used in that outlet.

im a sparky in thr UK, as has been stated its likely you have a neutral with high current, it should be bonded to earth at substation and 0V, you could have a crossed wired socket or a major short somewhere

HLdan
Nov 5, 2010, 02:26 PM
I just removed the 2-prong attachment from the power brick and replaced it with the 3-pronged extension cable that it came with and it stopped buzzing. :)

mattpreston11, can you confirm this?

EDIT: Now I remember correctly how my MacPro's alum keyboard stop buzzing by removing the two-pronged extension cable attached to the powerbar and attached the powerbar directly to the wall. Stupid me how can I forget this.:o

I had this same exact thing happen to me on 2 new Macbook Pros. After I removed the default adaptor and just used the extension plug included I don't get the sensation anymore. Took it to the Apple store twice to find out what's up with the adapter and they couldn't figure it out but all is good now, just use the extension cable.

barefeats
Nov 5, 2010, 05:59 PM
"Tingly sensation..."

Are you sure you weren't watching a YouTube video of President Obama giving a campaign speech?

wirelessmacuser
Nov 5, 2010, 06:29 PM
And here I was thinking that I was one of the few, that find these new models, so exciting and fun... :)

ReallyBigFeet
Nov 5, 2010, 08:08 PM
Is this a tingly sensation in your nether regions?

Thats normal when buying any iDevice. Give it a few months and that sensation will wane.

pfjellman
Nov 5, 2010, 08:15 PM
"Tingly sensation..."

Are you sure you weren't watching a YouTube video of President Obama giving a campaign speech?

if by tingling sensation here you mean nausea and dread, then yes. otherwise, no, i've never felt a tingling sensation coming from any Apple product I've owned, including several MBPs and the new MBA.

Billy Hoke
Nov 5, 2010, 08:44 PM
I get a tingly sensation too. Just not in my fingers.

mattpreston11
Nov 5, 2010, 09:55 PM
I havent tried it with that mega long thick extension cable, have only used that once.

I have noticed the "Tingly/buzzing/etc" In three different buildings where I've had my MBA on charge, surely they don't all have faults electrics? Or maybe its all of Leeds that has poorly trained electric engineers ;)

happyslayer
Nov 6, 2010, 02:19 AM
As per another poster, I get the "tingly sensation" when I use the little fold up adapter but not when I use my extension cord adapter. This used to happen with my RevA air and my RevB, but this is a lot more noticeable on this 11.6 - again, if I'm using the little two prong plug.

Maybe it does not ground correctly since it's not 3 prong.

Cerano
Nov 6, 2010, 02:25 AM
you guys are americans so you guys have the non-grounded 2 pin plug not the 3 pin euro style one however that is not the cause

the electricity u feel is static electricity due to the dry air

deeddawg
Nov 6, 2010, 06:08 AM
you guys are americans so you guys have the non-grounded 2 pin plug not the 3 pin euro style one however that is not the cause

the electricity u feel is static electricity due to the dry air

Ummm... No, and no.

The non-grounded two blade plug is pretty rare in the parts of the US I've lived. I've only seen them in older buildings. Anything built or renovated in the past forty years has the three prong grounded plug.

The second comment is also completely wrong. Thanks for trying to help though.

Corax
Nov 6, 2010, 06:16 AM
The short plug is not grounded but the long cord plug is.

hsl
Nov 6, 2010, 06:16 AM

Yes! it always has on all the (alu) apple laptops i've owned.
It even does it on my ACD and on my GF's iMac.

Corax
Nov 6, 2010, 06:28 AM
Al my alu devices also do, when plugged in a not grounded powerconnection. I live in house from 1930 and it only has grounded powerconnections in the (renovated) kitchen. The european short-powerplug isn't grounded, but the European long cord powerplug is.

Cerano
Nov 6, 2010, 06:58 AM
Ummm... No, and no.

The non-grounded two blade plug is pretty rare in the parts of the US I've lived. I've only seen them in older buildings. Anything built or renovated in the past forty years has the three prong grounded plug.

The second comment is also completely wrong. Thanks for trying to help though.

okay my bad :)

Fraaaa
Nov 6, 2010, 09:11 AM

And iPads :)

pfjellman
Nov 6, 2010, 12:03 PM
never experienced this issue in my life. and i've owned A LOT of apple products.

Corax
Nov 7, 2010, 03:46 AM
never experienced this issue in my life. and i've owned A LOT of apple products.

You never, me ever I also owned a lot of stuff and I worked for 2 years in an Apple Premium Reseller.
All Aluminium Apple devices really do (when not grounded).
Were not talking about a very heavy electric shock here, maybe you're not sensitive enough, or after all those years don't notice it.

gustav531
Nov 7, 2010, 03:53 AM
For you who experience the tingling:
Try to "rub" the area next to the trackpad with a bit of pressure. The tingling goes away :P. I guess you take away the excess energy to yourself or something. By applying more pressure your making the conductivity stronger...