Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
Hi,

I'm trying to install 10.3 on an old Tangerine G3 333 iMac. I've upgraded the RAM and the OS9 that was already instlalled was running fine. I then swapped out the HD booted off of the 10.3 install CD, erased HD and partitioned it to 7GB/33GB.

So far so good. I start the install and everything seems to be going just fine, but it never ask for the 2nd install CD. It goes through disk optimization and everything while still on the 1st CD. Then it reboots itself, but fails to find the OS on the HD and ends up wanting to install again.

I've done this 4 or 5 times now and can't figure out what is happening. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
amberashby said:
Hi,

I'm trying to install 10.3 on an old Tangerine G3 333 iMac. I've upgraded the RAM and the OS9 that was already instlalled was running fine. I then swapped out the HD booted off of the 10.3 install CD, erased HD and partitioned it to 7GB/33GB.

So far so good. I start the install and everything seems to be going just fine, but it never ask for the 2nd install CD. It goes through disk optimization and everything while still on the 1st CD. Then it reboots itself, but fails to find the OS on the HD and ends up wanting to install again.

I've done this 4 or 5 times now and can't figure out what is happening. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
Hmm... After it's done with the first CD, and it's rebooting, the CD is still in there, right? I believe that the mac continues to boot off the first CD until the second is needed. The HD isn't booted from until the installation has finished. Once it's done with the first CD, and restarts, try holding down the "C" key to ensure it doesn't try and boot from the HD.

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
Littleodie914 said:
Hmm... After it's done with the first CD, and it's rebooting, the CD is still in there, right? I believe that the mac continues to boot off the first CD until the second is needed. The HD isn't booted from until the installation has finished. Once it's done with the first CD, and restarts, try holding down the "C" key to ensure it doesn't try and boot from the HD.

Well, after it reboots it is booting to the CD but it comes up with the intial install screen all over again.

What is weird is the last thing it does before it reboots is the system optimization which I think is the very last thing that happens before the install is complete. But it is still on the first CD.

Thanks for your response, I wasn't expecting any responses till after the Macworld hysteria calmed down.

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
amberashby said:
Well, after it reboots it is booting to the CD but it comes up with the intial install screen all over again.

What is weird is the last thing it does before it reboots is the system optimization which I think is the very last thing that happens before the install is complete. But it is still on the first CD.

Thanks for your response, I wasn't expecting any responses till after the Macworld hysteria calmed down.

I keep reinstalling, but it does the same thing. Anyone have any idea?

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Littleodie914 said:

Actually, after the first CD is done installing, the installer boots from the internal HD (or at least, it should). The installer then continues pulling from the CD to finish the installation (if there is more needed, you actually don't need the 2nd CD for a fully functional system).

You can try doing a custom install with only the minimal install features and see if you can at least get a bootable system. Then you can do additional installs from the 2nd CD directly from the Finder, you just have to navigate to the packages that you want to install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.