Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scooter1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
Hello, Im fairly new to macs having purchased a white macbook in April, sometimes when I am multi-tasking I get the spinning beachball and was wondering how I can see if it is being caused by a lack of RAM or if my hard drive is bogging down, I have 2 GB RAM on my macbook. thanks

stanfordb

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2010
Hello, Im fairly new to macs having purchased a white macbook in April, sometimes when I am multi-tasking I get the spinning beachball and was wondering how I can see if it is being caused by a lack of RAM or if my hard drive is bogging down, I have 2 GB RAM on my macbook. thanks

Just a guess....SWAP usage (you can check this in Activity Monitor, Swap used - Page IN/OUTS).

Sadly, some common daily-use apps like e.g. SAFARI are HUGE memory eaters, and from my POV (and i'm not the only one) there is a bug with Safaris memory management.

E.g. right now, only 2 tabs are open, google and macrumors forum... though Safari still eats up +1,3 GB of RAM (despite i closed the other tabs before) and it does not give up it's "inactive memory" - not even if another app requires it - not even if i close all tabs, windows and wait for hours. (only way to prevent this, is quitting Safari after a browsing session)

So HDD-swapping occurs - system slows down.

Upgrading from 2 -> 4 GB RAM helped a bit, but still at some point the HDD was used for swapping.

so i upgraded to a SSD - this was the speedboost i was looking for.

Still HDD swapping occurs, but due to the "speed" of SSDs, you don't recognize it anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.