Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hughm

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Vancouver
My G4 MDD (1.25 CPU, 2G RAM, OSX 10.5.8) needs a new drive.

I'm told SATA drives are the thing to get.

I don't know what a SATA drive is, or whether it is compatible with my machine.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks

Izlib

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2008
It works, although you need a SATA PCI card for it to make it work.
You also need the standard power cable to SATA power adapters.

But I ran 2x1.5TB drives in my MDD for a year or so before I finally upgraded it.

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
You can also use an adapter like this one. Although performance would be better with a PCI card, the adapter is an economical alternative that, when combined with an SATA drive, will likely provide better performance than the PATA drive you're replacing.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
You can also use an adapter like this one. Although performance would be better with a PCI card, the adapter is an economical alternative that, when combined with an SATA drive, will likely provide better performance than the PATA drive you're replacing.

You'll still be limited to the PATA/IDE interface speeds.

If you do get a PCI SATA card, make sure it is a bootable card as many out there will not work if you plan to boot your OS from it.

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
You'll still be limited to the PATA/IDE interface speeds.

I have a Caviar Green (EADS model) hooked up with one of these adapters and it nearly saturates the bus, far surpassing any IDE drive that I have. Hooked up with my Firmtek card, it's only about 4% faster. About the same story with my Caviar Blue. However, higher performance drives or SSD's exploit that difference a bit more. Of course, we're talking about the ATA/100 bus on the MDD. The difference would also be much greater when compared to the ATA/66 bus on other G4's. My advice would be to get the $5 adapter for anything less than a Caviar Black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.