Tomple
Nov 5, 2010, 08:23 PM
Saw a thread for the 13" MBA, thought i'd start this one

So far the only one I know of is this Hard Graft one
http://shop.hardgraft.com/macbook-sleeves/xiii-macbook-sleeve

any other suggestions?

3goldens
Nov 5, 2010, 08:45 PM
That is not only ugly but way over priced!
There is a nice neoprene one on ebay. Do a search called luvmac or something.

Tomple
Nov 5, 2010, 08:46 PM
...i like it :ashamed:

Does incase have one planned?

Bluemeanie1976
Nov 5, 2010, 08:59 PM
I ordered the SF bags suede sleeve for mine... Supposed to have been shipped this evening, so will get it at some point in the next 6 months...

Tomple
Nov 5, 2010, 09:01 PM
I ordered the SF bags suede sleeve for mine... Supposed to have been shipped this evening, so will get it at some point in the next 6 months...

haha i've had problems with their shipping times as well

Bluemeanie1976
Nov 5, 2010, 09:43 PM
Well, it;s definitely shipped... Priority mail via USPS... I wonder when that will get to me? Mailed 6:412 Friday evening, (or at least processed)... I'll post some pics when I receive it.

timeslip
Nov 5, 2010, 09:46 PM
Look at both of the ones that Booq is offering in Dec.

Bluemeanie1976
Nov 5, 2010, 09:54 PM
That wooly one doesn't look great, I'll be honest. Plus, wool, to me, is just a little too scratchy and annoying for a sleeve.

Jaro65
Nov 6, 2010, 12:09 AM
I got my wife a laptop sleeve from sfbags.com. It looks great and is handy as you can also get it with a strap and a piggyback pouch.

dmelgar
Nov 6, 2010, 12:25 AM
I'm looking for one as well.

I'm surprised that Apple stores do not yet have any cases for the 11.6" MBA.
Even more amazed that Bestbuy doesn't have any cases that fit the 11.6" MBA. I would have thought some generic netbook sleeve would work, but not the ones at the Bestbuy i went to today.

I've seen lots of sleeves for sale on eBay, but the aspect ratio of the MBA is more extreme, so its likely the sleeves won't fit the MBA.

Some of the eBay sleeves are really cheap. Anyone know of one that fits?

Rezox
Nov 6, 2010, 12:54 AM
Does the charger fit in the Sleeve Case's back pocket or do you need the piggy to carry the charger?

Piggy is not my style.

Jaro65
Nov 6, 2010, 01:06 AM
Does the charger fit in the Sleeve Case's back pocket or do you need the piggy to carry the charger?

Piggy is not my style.

It would most likely fit if you were to get the horizontal style. I prefer vertical and so I go with the piggyback (both for the MBA as well as my MBP sleeves).

Tomple
Nov 6, 2010, 01:07 AM
That wooly one doesn't look great, I'll be honest. Plus, wool, to me, is just a little too scratchy and annoying for a sleeve.

Too each his own :)

nidserz
Nov 6, 2010, 01:30 AM

any other suggestions?

Don't worry OP, I like it. Liked their products and couldn't decide which product to get it for... so when I got my MBA 11, found it the perfect opportunity to get a sleeve from Hard Graft.
It should be here on Monday, was suppose to be here on Thursday, but UPS sucks! I will post pictures and a review!

happyslayer
Nov 6, 2010, 02:09 AM
My sfbags, WaterField Designs Vertical Suede Sleeve just shipped tonight (er, well yesterday now since it's after midnight I guess) will let you all know what I think when I get it!

hsl
Nov 6, 2010, 04:30 AM
I love the Jolioriginal sleeve that I'm testing at the moment :)

http://f.cl.ly/items/ac153177e6e94ff774c5/IMG_0214.jpeg (http://jolioriginals.com)

http://f.cl.ly/items/b82ac6d0d7bba16293ea/IMG_0213.jpeg (http://jolioriginals.com)

Tomple
Nov 6, 2010, 09:49 AM
Don't worry OP, I like it. Liked their products and couldn't decide which product to get it for... so when I got my MBA 11, found it the perfect opportunity to get a sleeve from Hard Graft.
It should be here on Monday, was suppose to be here on Thursday, but UPS sucks! I will post pictures and a review!

Glad someone else appreciates them :)

mind throwing up a mini review when it arrives?

YMark
Nov 6, 2010, 10:22 AM

Piggy is not my style.

The sleeve from SFbags.com doesn't come with a back pocket despite what their web site says. I was a little disappointed in this. The sleeve is very nice though.

bcaslis
Nov 6, 2010, 11:07 AM
The sleeve from SFbags.com doesn't come with a back pocket despite what their web site says. I was a little disappointed in this. The sleeve is very nice though.

Which sleeve did you get? Their suede jacket sleeves don't have a pocket but their sleeve cases do.

a2applegirl
Nov 6, 2010, 11:36 AM

I received mine yesterday and it looks awesome. The air fits snuggly, its light and well pagged, and the optional strap is very versitile. The bag really rocks!

Bluemeanie1976
Nov 6, 2010, 11:39 AM
Optional strap? I got the basic sleeve, suede... not really a bag, literally just a sleeve.

a2applegirl
Nov 6, 2010, 11:42 AM
Optional strap? I got the basic sleeve, suede... not really a bag, literally just a sleeve.

Oh, they have an envelope padded sleeve on that site too. That is what I got and you can add a strap for an extra cost. I saw the sleeve, but it didnt look like it really protected anything.

Tomple
Nov 6, 2010, 11:45 AM
I received mine yesterday and it looks awesome. The air fits snuggly, its light and well pagged, and the optional strap is very versitile. The bag really rocks!

Are you talking about this one?

http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases.php

a2applegirl
Nov 6, 2010, 11:54 AM
Are you talking about this one?

http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases.php

Yes. I got the non-leather bottom and the optional strap and its a really cool bag. It's very protective, really light, and very sexy just like my new air. :cool:

elwood58
Nov 6, 2010, 11:59 AM
[QUOTE=hsl;11373415]I love the Jolioriginal sleeve that I'm testing at the moment :)

When will we be able to get this product?

ingramLee
Nov 6, 2010, 12:00 PM
Patiently waiting on incase....

Tomple
Nov 6, 2010, 12:08 PM
Just emailed incase for any news on their product lineup. Will update when they respond :)

highscheme
Nov 6, 2010, 01:59 PM
Just emailed incase for any news on their product lineup. Will update when they respond :)

Please do! I really can't believe a company in their position hasn't at least posted some mockup for the new Airs and given a release date.

bella92108
Nov 6, 2010, 02:48 PM
That is not only ugly but way over priced!

+1 for ugly comment- it is butt ugly :-)
-1 for price comment - maybe your budget is just too low. it's not that high

Tomple
Nov 6, 2010, 08:24 PM
Please do! I really can't believe a company in their position hasn't at least posted some mockup for the new Airs and given a release date.

Agreed!

-1 for price comment - maybe your budget is just too low. it's not that high

thats about 100 USD, a lot for a sleeve
don't be mean

biosci
Nov 6, 2010, 09:59 PM
I love the Hard Graft case... Got mine in last week. Yeah, it is a bit expensive, but I wanted it so who cares! All photos here:

11in Hard Graft Sleeve Photo Gallery Link (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wuperruper/sets/72157625328263456/)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/5153142068_ab3c354ec1.jpg

barmann
Nov 6, 2010, 10:05 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1036326

Tomple
Nov 6, 2010, 10:08 PM
I love the Hard Graft case... Got mine in last week. Yeah, it is a bit expensive, but I wanted it so who cares! All photos here:

11in Hard Graft Sleeve Photo Gallery Link (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wuperruper/sets/72157625328263456/)

That looks amazing!!!
Ordering one for sure! :):):)

how were shipping times?

nrweaver
Nov 6, 2010, 10:30 PM
Patiently waiting on incase....

+1

how long does it usually take until incase will have a sleeve out?

biosci
Nov 6, 2010, 10:32 PM
That looks amazing!!!
Ordering one for sure! :):):)

how were shipping times?

REALLY fast.. You don't pay that much money for shipping for nothing. It ships international from Austria (I think) via UPS express letter (They wrap it up pretty neat too in a custom paper envelope for the sleeve). I had a picture but I couldn't find it... I think it's on the cameras built in memory rather than my sd card.

///M5
Nov 7, 2010, 05:26 AM

Looks nice. One note though, I don't like their pricing model; I mean the fixed price for all models. A 17" sleeve must cost more than an 11" one yet the latter is priced at 69 euros as well.

Tomple
Nov 7, 2010, 09:45 AM
REALLY fast.. You don't pay that much money for shipping for nothing. It ships international from Austria (I think) via UPS express letter (They wrap it up pretty neat too in a custom paper envelope for the sleeve). I had a picture but I couldn't find it... I think it's on the cameras built in memory rather than my sd card.

Great!

Awesome company :)

bella92108
Nov 7, 2010, 09:50 AM

For that much, I'd expect it to be shipped in a gold encrusted envelope via overnight express. It's a hideous looking (looks like the cut up an old pea-coat and made a case, and not even priced fairly with comparable items.

Sorry, I don't support businesses who try and capitalize on the short-term business when a product is released. Companies like Incase are better because when they release a product they don't try to jack up the price to get early adopters who have limited choices. Shameful way to do business. Guessing that's why there are so many mom and pop case makers that come and go.

I just wish the big guys were a bit quicker to the plate with new cases.

Tomple
Nov 7, 2010, 10:07 AM
For that much, I'd expect it to be shipped in a gold encrusted envelope via overnight express. It's a hideous looking (looks like the cut up an old pea-coat and made a case, and not even priced fairly with comparable items.

Sorry, I don't support businesses who try and capitalize on the short-term business when a product is released. Companies like Incase are better because when they release a product they don't try to jack up the price to get early adopters who have limited choices. Shameful way to do business. Guessing that's why there are so many mom and pop case makers that come and go.

What your paying for at hard graft is great design and a well made product

i say thats worth the price

biosci
Nov 7, 2010, 10:13 AM

I kinda agree with you on the price. It really isn't reasonable but it's something that did catch my eye and I liked it so I was willing to pay the premium. But we all do that to an extent. I mean, look at cars, or even the meals we eat daily! Why pay 10x the cost for breakfast somewhere when it costs practically nothing to have the same breakfast at home!! Haha I cut corners in other places like eating out so I can afford my tech crave! For me, with Hard Graft, it was just their crazy pricing that irritated me but I'm very happy with the case.

bella92108
Nov 7, 2010, 10:39 AM
I kinda agree with you on the price. It really isn't reasonable but it's something that did catch my eye and I liked it so I was willing to pay the premium. But we all do that to an extent. I mean, look at cars, or even the meals we eat daily! Why pay 10x the cost for breakfast somewhere when it costs practically nothing to have the same breakfast at home!! Haha I cut corners in other places like eating out so I can afford my tech crave! For me, with Hard Graft, it was just their crazy pricing that irritated me but I'm very happy with the case.

In the "old days" businesses could only exist if they were very successful. They had to either print catalogs or open stores, both of which took pretty significant capital, so I could understand charging a premium.

Today, with the invent of online commerce, combined with globalization, anyone can rent a garage in SF for $500 a month (SMALL ONE like SFBAGS), or open a little manufacturing line in Hong Kong for $1000 a month and throw up a website for a couple bux a year. This means there's a revolving door of companies. There is little to no buyer loyalty to them, so they overcharge and under deliver, and take advantage of the "I just bought it and the big guys aren't nimble enough to be producing a bag for this yet so I'll buy from anyone at any cost" type of crowd.

I'm all for entrepreneurism, but I draw the line when they cross the grey line into taking advantage of people. Look through threads from previous releases, you rarely see the same names pop up, "companies" get their moment in the spotlight, then disappear... I'd rather buy from names that'll be there, like Crumpler, Timbuktu, Incase, Speck, Sena, etc.

Tomple
Nov 7, 2010, 10:43 AM
In the "old days" businesses could only exist if they were very successful. They had to either print catalogs or open stores, both of which took pretty significant capital, so I could understand charging a premium.

Today, with the invent of online commerce, combined with globalization, anyone can rent a garage in SF for $500 a month (SMALL ONE like SFBAGS), or open a little manufacturing line in Hong Kong for $1000 a month and throw up a website for a couple bux a year. This means there's a revolving door of companies. There is little to no buyer loyalty to them, so they overcharge and under deliver, and take advantage of the "I just bought it and the big guys aren't nimble enough to be producing a bag for this yet so I'll buy from anyone at any cost" type of crowd.

I'm all for entrepreneurism, but I draw the line when they cross the grey line into taking advantage of people. Look through threads from previous releases, you rarely see the same names pop up, "companies" get their moment in the spotlight, then disappear... I'd rather buy from names that'll be there, like Crumpler, Timbuktu, Incase, Speck, Sena, etc.

You make valid points here, and thanks for backing up your argument. I choose to buy their products mainly because i adore their design. I see now that their prices are high, but i chose to pay them because i am weak when it comes to good design :)

a2applegirl
Nov 7, 2010, 11:44 AM
Not sure you can lump all small companies together like that. SFBAGS sent me a beautiful sleeve for my 11.6" air that I was able to customize. It was delivered quickly, the workmanship is wonderful on the bag, the shipping was inexpensive and I received personalized customer service. Why is that inferior to a big company like incase, who has the clout to know about apple's plans ahead of time and could have had bags and sleeves ready?

There have always been boutique companies and there always will be. Sometimes handcrafted items and personalized service are worth the price in my opinon. :cool:

Tomple
Nov 7, 2010, 11:46 AM
Not sure you can lump all small companies together like that. SFBAGS sent me a beautiful sleeve for my 11.6" air that I was able to customize. It was delivered quickly, the workmanship is wonderful on the bag, the shipping was inexpensive and I received personalized customer service. Why is that inferior to a big company at incase, who has the clout to know about apple's plans ahead of time and could have had bags and sleeves ready?

There have always been boutique companies and there always will be. Sometimes handcrafted items and personalized service are worth the price in my opinon. :cool:

This is my arguement as well

i think both sides here can be argued succesfully as bella made some good points as well

bella92108
Nov 7, 2010, 11:47 AM
Not sure you can lump all small companies together like that. SFBAGS sent me a beautiful sleeve for my 11.6" air that I was able to customize. It was delivered quickly, the workmanship is wonderful on the bag, the shipping was inexpensive and I received personalized customer service. Why is that inferior to a big company at incase, who has the clout to know about apple's plans ahead of time and could have had bags and sleeves ready?

I love how people always act like they're doing a noble deed supporting the little guys because the big boys are so "evil" ... do you think for a second that, if given the option, SF Bags doesn't WANT to be as big and popular as Incase, or Speck? Of course they do... lol... like when people are so adamant about supporting the mom n pop shops when Walmart comes to town... do you not think they want and envy walmart's size and success? And do you think if they had the opportunity to become big and popular they'd say no because they still want to have the intimate relationship with YOU? Of course not. People are funny.

a2applegirl
Nov 7, 2010, 11:52 AM
I love how people always act like they're doing a noble deed supporting the little guys because the big boys are so "evil" ... do you think for a second that, if given the option, SF Bags doesn't WANT to be as big and popular as Incase, or Speck? Of course they do... lol... like when people are so adamant about supporting the mom n pop shops when Walmart comes to town... do you not think they want and envy walmart's size and success? And do you think if they had the opportunity to become big and popular they'd say no because they still want to have the intimate relationship with YOU? Of course not. People are funny.

So what is your point? That SFBAGS wants to be Walmart?:cool::p Big does not mean better. Small does not mean cheap and imported either, And not all companies want to get big, I think you are mistaken on that.

I don't want intimate relations with my bag salespeople. :cool: I simply want a unique, high quality bag for my air, and I would like good customer service if possible.

super tomtendo
Nov 7, 2010, 11:54 AM
ugly

bella92108
Nov 7, 2010, 11:54 AM
ugly

lol +100 !!! :-)

Tomple
Nov 7, 2010, 11:57 AM
Why are people hating on hard graft :(
i think the case looks beutiful

too each his own i guess

mac jones
Nov 7, 2010, 12:34 PM
Why are people hating on hard graft :(
i think the case looks beutiful

too each his own i guess

To me it looks like the lining of an old coat. Ya know, when the seams give out this stuff starts falling out.

Or the stuff they insulate heating pipes with.

Asbestos? :D

Tomple
Nov 7, 2010, 12:37 PM
To me it looks like the lining of an old coat. Ya know, when the seams give out this stuff starts falling out.

I guess i like the look of heating pipe insulation :)

bella92108
Nov 7, 2010, 12:41 PM

Yeah not sure, I'd say the Mac crowd, who carries the prettiest computers, tends to like the ugliest cases... it's like some tendency to gravitate toward the hippie cases... yuck. I like clean\modern\etc... crumpler... sena... timbuktu... incase... STM... etc...u can have your recycled toiletpaper cases dyed using recycled condom wrappers made in a fair labor factory, lol... I'll take my chinese-sweat-shop case from Crumpler anyday

Tomple
Nov 7, 2010, 12:44 PM
Yeah not sure, I'd say the Mac crowd, who carries the prettiest computers, tends to like the ugliest cases... it's like some tendency to gravitate toward the hippie cases... yuck. I like clean\modern\etc... crumpler... sena... timbuktu... incase... STM... etc...u can have your recycled toiletpaper cases dyed using recycled condom wrappers made in a fair labor factory, lol... I'll take my chinese-sweat-shop case from Crumpler anyday

Ive said it twice and ill say it again

too each his own

dont bash my style and i wont bash yours, deal?

a2applegirl
Nov 7, 2010, 12:48 PM

Nobody is denying you your mass produced case. I think what some of us are responding to is the many many times you have voiced this same opinion. Point taken. We get it. :)

Tomple
Nov 7, 2010, 12:49 PM
Nobody is denying you your mass produced case. I think what some of us are responding to is the many many times you have voiced this same opinion. Point taken. We get it. :)

Yes, thank you.

nidserz
Nov 7, 2010, 02:50 PM

Looks great. I will have mine tomorrow. Got held up in the States, so getting it a business day or two late... Meh.
Great product, good company. Pricey, but you pay for what you get. And sometimes that is just the "name". But I really like Hard Graft products from what I have seen and I can't wait to get my own for the first time.

Thanks for the pictures.

Tomple
Nov 7, 2010, 03:36 PM
Looks great. I will have mine tomorrow. Got held up in the States, so getting it a business day or two late... Meh.
Great product, good company. Pricey, but you pay for what you get. And sometimes that is just the "name". But I really like Hard Graft products from what I have seen and I can't wait to get my own for the first time.

Thanks for the pictures.

congratulations on a good purchase! :)

Munch
Nov 7, 2010, 06:33 PM
I'm patiently waiting for RadTech to release theirs: http://www.radtech.us/products/SleevzNotebooks.aspx

Had one for my old MacBook and loved the way it perfectly fit and doesn't have extra "tabs" like the SFbags one.

I have it on preorder... won't be until Nov 20 till it comes out. Till then I'm keeping it in a $1 plastic folder I got from the Dollar Store and being extra careful. :)

HoosierInFL
Nov 7, 2010, 07:18 PM
I thought I had found a great deal on the PDair cases on ebay.....until I saw they are charging $35 shipping! For a damn case!

bella92108
Nov 7, 2010, 07:25 PM
I'm patiently waiting for RadTech to release theirs: http://www.radtech.us/products/SleevzNotebooks.aspx

Had one for my old MacBook and loved the way it perfectly fit and doesn't have extra "tabs" like the SFbags one.

I have it on preorder... won't be until Nov 20 till it comes out. Till then I'm keeping it in a $1 plastic folder I got from the Dollar Store and being extra careful. :)

Now you're talkin! This one looks PERFECT, wow! I love Radtech's products, and this is exactly what I'm looking for. Not sure I can wait 2 weeks for them tho, hehe

mac jones
Nov 7, 2010, 08:01 PM
I bought one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220692941155#ht_1188wt_907

WTF :D

Tomple
Nov 7, 2010, 09:00 PM
i bought one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayisapi.dll?viewitem&item=220692941155#ht_1188wt_907

wtf :d

:d

Tomple
Nov 7, 2010, 09:02 PM

Thats a lot like this one

http://www.sfbags.com/products/laptopsuedejacket/laptopsuedejacket.htm

bella92108
Nov 7, 2010, 09:04 PM

I'd buy Radtech ANYDAY over SF Bags.

Munch
Nov 7, 2010, 09:37 PM

Yes, but without the finger loops, which is what I prefer. I never have had any trouble getting the sleeve over the macbook by stretching it, and it has retained it's shape over the years.

rubberwheels
Nov 7, 2010, 10:16 PM

I actually love that case! Simple and elegant minus the fingerloops lol. Also, decent price.

Tomple
Nov 7, 2010, 10:19 PM

Just offering other options

a2applegirl
Nov 7, 2010, 10:25 PM

We know. You have made it clear that you hate SF Bags. :)

Here is the one that I got exactly, including the strap. It is small, light, protective, and looks great.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/images/prod_sleevecase_detail_7_lg.jpg

Tomple
Nov 7, 2010, 10:40 PM
please bella

stop trolling this thread

as applegirl said earlier

we get the point.

TxMacAddict
Nov 7, 2010, 11:07 PM
+1 for Radtech and I actually like the look of the Hard Graft 11" case. Looks pretty classy.. I would prob buy one if it was in the $40 - $50 range. Just waiting for my Incase neoprene sleeve to arrive on Wednesday.

Tomple
Nov 7, 2010, 11:10 PM
+1 for Radtech and I actually like the look of the Hard Graft 11" case. Looks pretty classy.. I would prob buy one if it was in the $40 - $50 range. Just waiting for my Incase neoprene sleeve to arrive on Wednesday.

Glad you like Hard Graft :)

is the incase you ordered a new updated line or just the old one?

TxMacAddict
Nov 7, 2010, 11:15 PM
I have the old 13" incase neoprene for Air on order. If they come up with something really amazing for the revision I guess I will just buy that too but in the meantime this will do just fine.

Tomple
Nov 7, 2010, 11:19 PM
I have the old 13" incase neoprene for Air on order. If they come up with something really amazing for the revision I guess I will just buy that too but in the meantime this will do just fine.

I guess

throw up a review on how it fits once you get it :)

rubberwheels
Nov 7, 2010, 11:21 PM
The Hard Graft case does look pretty awesome. The only thing that throws me off is the price. I've checked out Radtech. I really like the RadTech Sleevz. Good price. I'm stuck between that and the Suede Jacket Sleeve.

TxMacAddict
Nov 7, 2010, 11:31 PM
I guess

throw up a review on how it fits once you get it :)

The review is already up and it works great.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1040901

Tomple
Nov 7, 2010, 11:35 PM
The review is already up and it works great.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1040901

oh thanks!

and to rubberwheels, glad you like the Hard Grafft as well

at least some of us appreciate design :)

nomad01
Nov 8, 2010, 02:14 AM
I bought one of these.

WTF :D

Let me know how you get on with it.

I considered buying the black one just to make do until something better comes along!

Kenzembo1
Nov 8, 2010, 09:47 AM
I just placed an order for the 11" Zagora sleeve made by ColcaSac (formerly AppleSac). I have the same one for my 13" MacBook Pro and was ecstatic when I saw them available for the new Air! It really is a great sleeve and unique too. Also, the little pouch on the outside is perfect for my iPhone or MagSafe charger when I'm out for an extended period of time. I don't think the price point is bad either- mine was $45.62 with shipping.

Here's the link: http://colcasac.com/macbook-sleeve/zagora-macbook-sleeve

Tomple
Nov 8, 2010, 10:12 AM
I just placed an order for the 11" Zagora sleeve made by ColcaSac (formerly AppleSac). I have the same one for my 13" MacBook Pro and was ecstatic when I saw them available for the new Air! It really is a great sleeve and unique too. Also, the little pouch on the outside is perfect for my iPhone or MagSafe charger when I'm out for an extended period of time. I don't think the price point is bad either- mine was $45.62 with shipping.

Here's the link: http://colcasac.com/macbook-sleeve/zagora-macbook-sleeve

That one deffintly is unique

funny looking, in a good way :)

Awesome!

Kenzembo1
Nov 8, 2010, 10:39 AM
That one deffintly is unique

funny looking, in a good way :)

Awesome!

Ha it may be a little hipster-ish but it offers great protection and definitely gets people asking me where I got it from :D

Tomple
Nov 8, 2010, 10:42 AM
Ha it may be a little hipster-ish but it offers great protection and definitely gets people asking me where I got it from :D

Sounds like a good case then :D

billy baxton
Nov 8, 2010, 10:53 AM
brilliant. I'm glad to see someone here who appreciates the same design aesthetic as I do.

I like the fact that this is made from natural materials, I find the contrast between the felt/leather and the metalic body of the MBA compliment each other nicely. there is a saying "you can't argue taste" which rings true in most cases (pun intended). I've ordered mine, and I was notified that I should receive it in a couple days. I wish they added a leather pocket on one side. so I could possibly slip in the microsoft "arc touch" mouse, then I'd be all set to go.

beautifully hand crafted design. I think there are alot of people who think hard graft is a fly by night company. but I think some may not recognize them because they have since rebranded themself from "working class heroes"
they make high quality products (which probably arn't hard to make). but in all honestly, if there was a knockoff company doing the same thing, I would have purchased through them. hard graft prices are steep. especialy for what you get. but you are paying for a luxury item, just like you did when you bought your macbook air. or the microsoft arc mouse, which I will get in dec.

Tomple
Nov 8, 2010, 11:02 AM
brilliant. I'm glad to see someone here who appreciates the same design aesthetic as I do.

I like the fact that this is made from natural materials, I find the contrast between the felt/leather and the metalic body of the MBA compliment each other nicely. there is a saying "you can't argue taste" which rings true in most cases (pun intended). I've ordered mine, and I was notified that I should receive it in a couple days. I wish they added a leather pocket on one side. so I could possibly slip in the microsoft "arc touch" mouse, then I'd be all set to go.

beautifully hand crafted design. I think there are alot of people who think hard graft is a fly by night company. but I think some may not recognize them because they have since rebranded themself from "working class heroes"
they make high quality products (which probably arn't hard to make). but in all honestly, if there was a knockoff company doing the same thing, I would have purchased through them. hard graft prices are steep. especialy for what you get. but you are paying for a luxury item, just like you did when you bought your macbook air. or the microsoft arc mouse, which I will get in dec.

Count me in your group of design appreciators :)

you made some really good points about Hard Graft which others *hint * *hint* (bella) are over looking

Bluemeanie1976
Nov 8, 2010, 12:25 PM
Just received my sfabags suede sleeve for the air. Very nice indeed. Very simple, which is just what I want. Fits nicely, and the material is very sweet indeed.

billy baxton
Nov 8, 2010, 12:36 PM

how much do you know about this company? they make premium leather goods and have been making cases for apple products for sometime now. prices are expensive yes. but like I said, luxury items come at price. and these guys are known for great quality. you could find a similar product on etsy, but the quality may not be as good.

silly that you feel you need to take the higher road by not supporting a company that jacks up the price by adding some sort of hipster tax on it. yet you have no problems purchasing a macbookair, or supporting apple in general.

I agree that the "bigger" companies should have been out with these cases sooner. I probably would have ordered from a different company if they had one in the style I wanted. I dont have a case for my mba yet. so its sitting in its box at home.

Tomple
Nov 8, 2010, 12:38 PM
how much do you know about this company? they make premium leather goods and have been making cases for apple products for sometime now. prices are expensive yes. but like I said, luxury items come at price. and these guys are known for great quality. you could find a similar product on etsy, but the quality may not be as good.

silly that you feel you need to take the higher road by not supporting a company that jacks up the price by adding some sort of hipster tax on it. yet you have no problems purchasing a macbookair, or supporting apple in general.

I agree that the "bigger" companies should have been out with these cases sooner. I probably would have ordered from a different company if they had one in the style I wanted. I dont have a case for my mba yet. so its sitting in its box at home.

ignore bella, shes been trolling this thread for a while now

billy baxton
Nov 8, 2010, 12:40 PM

i'm actually curious as to which case you would prefer. do you have a link/image you could provide?

billy baxton
Nov 8, 2010, 12:45 PM
ignore bella, shes been trolling this thread for a while now

I don't think she's trolling, but I do get a bit of a pretentious vibe, which a pinch of snobbery from her. just curious if I would actually agree on her choice of mba cases. not that its relevant. just curiosity getting the best of me.

Tomple
Nov 8, 2010, 12:49 PM
I don't think she's trolling, but I do get a bit of a pretentious vibe, which a pinch of snobbery from her. just curious if I would actually agree on her choice of mba cases. not that its relevant. just curiosity getting the best of me.

True, troll is not the right choice, you summed it up pretty well.

congratulations on your hard graft order!
im sure you will enjoy it :)

billy baxton
Nov 8, 2010, 01:15 PM
True, troll is not the right choice, you summed it up pretty well.

congratulations on your hard graft order!
im sure you will enjoy it :)

also, this is what I was refering to, with the arc mouse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTgrMJRQ77Q

not the sexiest travel mouse, but up there on my techlusting list. if the hardgraft sleeve had a leather pocket, this beast would have a home

Tomple
Nov 8, 2010, 01:25 PM
also, this is what I was refering to, with the arc mouse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTgrMJRQ77Q

not the sexiest travel mouse, but up there on my techlusting list. if the hardgraft sleeve had a leather pocket, this beast would have a home

Wow, thats a really cool video, thanks!
i may even have to purchase that mouse :)

whens the release date?

billy baxton
Nov 8, 2010, 02:16 PM
Wow, thats a really cool video, thanks!
i may even have to purchase that mouse :)

whens the release date?

they say december. but I dunno.

its between that and the magic mouse. but you can pretty much do all that multitouch magic mouse stuff on your mba trackpad. might as well get a more interesting (and durable) travel mouse like the arc.

sorry to derail your thread....

happyslayer
Nov 8, 2010, 02:18 PM
Hi all,

I just got my WaterField Designs Suede Sleeve from sfbags.com.

It is really slick and was just what I wanted it to be. I got the vertical oriented one since that is how I normally carry it in my backpack. Previously, I have used Radtech Sleevz for my two older Airs but they (Radtech.com) didn't know when they would have them for the 11.6 and I took a chance on WaterField.

It is black, well made, has a strip of neoprene padding at the bottom since that is how it will sit in my bag and has two little loops - one on each side - at the opening to help put it on and take it off. Very nice when compared to the Radtech. This is NOT to protect against dropping, but for carrying it around between meetings and coffee shops, it will help keep the scratches to a minimum.

Also, the communication from sfbags.com was top notch. I got emails that sounded very personal thanking me for my purchase and another telling me when it shipped. And there was a hand written note on the enclosed invoice thanking me again. Kind of nice in today's Amazon-type sent by machine age.

Anyway, hope that helps anybody that might be looking.

gustav531
Nov 8, 2010, 02:23 PM
Ah! I LOVE the look of the Hard Graft case. I cant decide wether I shall order on or not...
I already have a foofbag on its way to me, or two actually. The first one is apparently too slim, so they sent out another at no charge, and I havent even received the first one yet lol.

billy baxton
Nov 8, 2010, 02:26 PM
Hi all,

It is really slick and was just what I wanted it to be. I got the vertical oriented one since that is how I normally carry it in my backpack. Previously, I have used Radtech Sleevz for my two older Airs but they (Radtech.com) didn't know when they would have them for the 11.6 and I took a chance on WaterField.

It is black, well made, has a strip of neoprene padding at the bottom since that is how it will sit in my bag and has two little loops - one on each side - at the opening to help put it on and take it off. Very nice when compared to the Radtech. This is NOT to protect against dropping, but for carrying it around between meetings and coffee shops, it will help keep the scratches to a minimum.

Also, the communication from sfbags.com was top notch. I got emails that sounded very personal thanking me for my purchase and another telling me when it shipped. And there was a hand written note on the enclosed invoice thanking me again. Kind of nice in today's Amazon-type sent by machine age.

oh wow. very nice. are you afraid that if you hold it from the wrong end it might slip out? I appreciate the simplicity of these.

///M5
Nov 8, 2010, 02:30 PM
Hi all,

Just received my sfabags suede sleeve for the air. Very nice indeed. Very simple, which is just what I want. Fits nicely, and the material is very sweet indeed.

I ordered both sleeves but haven't received them yet :(

Photos please! :)

billy baxton
Nov 8, 2010, 02:33 PM
please post of photos of your new cases ;)

bella92108
Nov 8, 2010, 03:08 PM

Generally the Incase designs are good, the radtech sleeves, etc... Anything that focuses the attention on the LAPTOP and not the CASE. SFBags tries to focus the attention away from the Apple product and on to the case. You buy the case to accessorize the laptop. The laptop isn't there for the benefit of the case. LOL. Most of the SFBags cases you could hide a 15" laptop in and not know any difference. I buy a macbook air because i like slim\sleek\stylish, and like a sleeve that shows that aspect off. Otherwise I'd just go back to my 13" macbook pro (which now feels like a BRICK!)...

EDIT\UPDATE: Just talked to Apple Store Manager... Apple stores will be getting deliveries FRIDAY of cases for the Macbook Air from Incase and Speck... no further details aside from assume they will both be form fitting and custom designed specifically with 11" Macbook Air in mind.

Tomple
Nov 8, 2010, 03:19 PM
Generally the Incase designs are good, the radtech sleeves, etc... Anything that focuses the attention on the LAPTOP and not the CASE. SFBags tries to focus the attention away from the Apple product and on to the case. You buy the case to accessorize the laptop. The laptop isn't there for the benefit of the case. LOL. Most of the SFBags cases you could hide a 15" laptop in and not know any difference. I buy a macbook air because i like slim\sleek\stylish, and like a sleeve that shows that aspect off. Otherwise I'd just go back to my 13" macbook pro (which now feels like a BRICK!)...

EDIT\UPDATE: Just talked to Apple Store Manager... Apple stores will be getting deliveries FRIDAY of cases for the Macbook Air from Incase and Speck... no further details aside from assume they will both be form fitting and custom designed specifically with 11" Macbook Air in mind.

you like the Radtech sleeve but not the SFBags one?
They are nearly identical!

also, thanks for the info on the arc mouse billy baxton!
fun talking to you :)

bella92108
Nov 8, 2010, 03:22 PM
you like the Radtech sleeve but not the SFBags one?
They are nearly identical!

also, thanks for the info on the arc mouse billy baxton!
fun talking to you :)

The SF Bags is suade and ultra flimsy, almost like just putting in a pillow case. The radtech has a little rigidity (correct me if I'm wrong), and I don't like the finger loops (what's the point?) on the SFBAGS one....

I'm not actually buying either ... I've got the crumpler neoprene awaiting the inCase products :-)

Tomple
Nov 8, 2010, 03:24 PM
The SF Bags is suade and ultra flimsy, almost like just putting in a pillow case. The radtech has a little rigidity (correct me if I'm wrong), and I don't like the finger loops (what's the point?) on the SFBAGS one....

I'm not actually buying either ... I've got the crumpler neoprene awaiting the inCase products :-)

Oh i thought they were the same material, Sorry!

I like the loops on my SFBags iPad sleeve, they make it super easy to slip in and out.

bella92108
Nov 8, 2010, 03:26 PM
Oh i thought they were the same material, Sorry!

I like the loops on my SFBags iPad sleeve, they make it super easy to slip in and out.

You could be right, they could be, I only briefly looked at the RadTech one, so it may be flimsy... ideally something sleeve-like that tapers so the thin part can slide in like a wedge of cheese but is ultra-thin would be amazing.

Not in any super rush since I have the crumpler one right now tho, so hopefully something cool will come along.

Tomple
Nov 8, 2010, 03:44 PM
You could be right, they could be, I only briefly looked at the RadTech one, so it may be flimsy... ideally something sleeve-like that tapers so the thin part can slide in like a wedge of cheese but is ultra-thin would be amazing.

Not in any super rush since I have the crumpler one right now tho, so hopefully something cool will come along.

Im excited to see what incase comes out with

ps: wedge of cheese lol :D

billy baxton
Nov 8, 2010, 03:46 PM

thank you for posting up your choices. I agree that the case shouldn't distract from the mba. but I don't agree with your choice with the crumpler neoprene. ugly in my opinion. the incase sleeve, however, is something I'd like to get my hands on. but again, I like the contrast in raw materiels with the hard graft. my thoughts are. no one even knows whats in the case, so it doesnt really matter if it works (aesthetically) with the MBA or not, and as a stand alone case, the hard graft looks fantastic. crumpler neoprene looks ugly as a case. and the incase only looks good to those who know exactly whats in it, because you see a ultra minimalist case, and you know that the product inside is also very minimalist aesthetically. but the case by itself is rather boring. its only when associated with the mba does it feel right.

I'd walk around with the hard graft, something I'd rather be seen with, but the incase is something I'd like because of its simplicity and low profile, and easier to just toss in a messenger bag and go. I may get the incase for that very reason. I'm also afraid my hardgraft will get super fuzzy over time. like my sweaters that I dont take care of....

a2applegirl
Nov 8, 2010, 04:12 PM

Do you work for incase?

Just asking.....:)

bella92108
Nov 8, 2010, 04:15 PM
Do you work for incase?

Just asking.....:)

Nope and I just called invade and they said I was misinformed and don't have an eta on the release of a sleeve or case for MacBook air

a2applegirl
Nov 8, 2010, 04:45 PM
Nope and I just called invade and they said I was misinformed and don't have an eta on the release of a sleeve or case for MacBook air

I know when I bought the gen 1 macbook air back in the day, it took incase awhile to come up with a sleeve. That is why I was surprised that one was coming out so quickly.

Tomple
Nov 8, 2010, 06:50 PM

oh no :(

Mickinator
Nov 8, 2010, 09:02 PM
When I bought my iPad, I just went to WalMart and bought a padded/bubble envelope - not the paper kind but the plasticy kind. I then wrapped it in black Duck Tape and even put an Apple sticker on it.

So when I needed a sleeve for my MBA11, I did the same thing. I had to cut down a larger envelope, but it works very well. This one is done in chrome tape. My total cost was about $6 but I have a bunch of tape left over, so the real cost was about $3. I might not even buy a sleeve when the real ones come out. I've been using the one for my iPad since the day that I got it, which was the day that they were available.

Tomorrow, if anyone wants to see it, I'll take a few photos of it.

mac jones
Nov 8, 2010, 09:43 PM
When I bought my iPad, I just went to WalMart and bought a padded/bubble envelope - not the paper kind but the plasticy kind. I then wrapped it in black Duck Tape and even put an Apple sticker on it.

So when I needed a sleeve for my MBA11, I did the same thing. I had to cut down a larger envelope, but it works very well. This one is done in chrome tape. My total cost was about $6 but I have a bunch of tape left over, so the real cost was about $3. I might not even buy a sleeve when the real ones come out. I've been using the one for my iPad since the day that I got it, which was the day that they were available.

Good to hold you over until you can get something that won't.... pop :o

Tomple
Nov 8, 2010, 10:04 PM

I'd love to see it!
Great handy work :)

Dammit Cubs
Nov 9, 2010, 02:15 AM

any other suggestions?

I love it. I'm a bit fan of wooly look.

nidserz
Nov 9, 2010, 02:51 AM
I got my Hard Graft case today and I absolutely love it. I find it is original, and like that not too many people have it. The only thing is it came folded in half so there ia crease in the wool, but I am sure it will straighten out... In that case, I will post pictures tomorrow!

nylon
Nov 9, 2010, 07:54 AM
I got my Hard Graft case today and I absolutely love it. I find it is original, and like that not too many people have it. The only thing is it came folded in half so there ia crease in the wool, but I am sure it will straighten out... In that case, I will post pictures tomorrow!

I ordered one yesterday for my 13" MBA. Can't wait to see your pics.

bcaslis
Nov 9, 2010, 08:53 AM

Actually, the correct term is Duct Tape. And if it's black, it not Duct Tape. Just clarifying for the engineer's favorite tape! :D

billy baxton
Nov 9, 2010, 09:26 AM

...and I'm a big fan of your display pic. :apple:

maerz001
Nov 9, 2010, 12:09 PM

i own this one. it's really nice and a perfect built quality:
http://en.dawanda.com/product/11542546-Filztasche-fuers-Laptop-Moni

there are other ones in her shop...

L0s7man
Nov 9, 2010, 01:16 PM
Here's what I found:

http://www.buzz-house.com/macbook.html

The dark one looks pretty good. I think I'll grab one of those.

There is also:

foofbag.com

They are awesome, but I don't like the idea of having one end of the sleeve open. I want something with flap; Ideally, vertical with flap.

Hard Graft looks cool, but way to pricey. I mean, I could fork money for the sleeve itself, but I won't fork another 23 euro for shipping (I'm in Tokyo ATM)

billy baxton
Nov 9, 2010, 01:32 PM
I absolutely love that buzz-house mba felt case. I probably would have ordered this if I saw it befor hardgraft. only problem I see is that string that holds the flap closed coming off at one point, along with the button. yea, I know you can sew a new one on. but its a bit of a hastle. very nice case though, IMO. nice find.

Here's what I found:

http://www.buzz-house.com/macbook.html

The dark one looks pretty good. I think I'll grab one of those.

There is also:

foofbag.com

They are awesome, but I don't like the idea of having one end of the sleeve open. I want something with flap; Ideally, vertical with flap.

Hard Graft looks cool, but way to pricey. I mean, I could fork money for the sleeve itself, but I won't fork another 23 euro for shipping (I'm in Tokyo ATM)

puchelaar
Nov 9, 2010, 03:06 PM
i own this one. it's really nice and a perfect built quality:
http://en.dawanda.com/product/11542546-Filztasche-fuers-Laptop-Moni

there are other ones in her shop...

I've just asked her and this lady (http://en.dawanda.com/shop/myCatMade) if they were able to make felt sleeves for the 11.6" MBA, and if so, for what price/shipping.
*If* they do, and *if* I decide to take one, I will post some pictures here when it's in.

I really like the 'hard graft' sleeve, but €69 is just about €20~€30 too overpriced imho. Especially with their rather steep shipping costs as well... :(

Anyway, it's nice to see the 11.6" sleeves/cases are finally starting to appear...

/edit: oh yeah, I like buzz-house one as well, but I could not find a 'buy' button amidst all the japanese characters. Is it even for sale yet, or is this just a 'coming soon' teaser thing?

gdogmaster
Nov 9, 2010, 09:58 PM
Anyone looking for a short-term solution can do what I did today and pick up a Scotch 8.5x11 Plastic Bubble Mailer. It fits the 11.6 pretty darn well. I got mine at Walgreens.

SPEEDwithJJ
Nov 9, 2010, 11:11 PM
I'm another person who recommend the WaterField (SF Bags) sleeves. :) IMHO, they're very well made & the customer support is excellent, just like Apple. :)

puchelaar
Nov 10, 2010, 05:45 AM
After writing to 2 shopowners at DaWanda yesterday, this morning I got a reply from one of them. After some mailing back & forth, she just mailed me to let me know my custom-ordered wool felt sleeve for the not-even-arrived-yet 11.6" MBA is ready :eek:

She started on it this morning and it was finished before lunch. She's shipping it out this afternoon!

This is all the more remarkable since I haven't been able to transfer her the money yet! My bank's internet payments site is having difficulties, and I was told to try again this afternoon. Even then it will take around 3 days for the money to be in her account. So she's making and shipping in good faith, for which I'm really grateful.

It's been a long time since I've run into this kind of service, especially from a webshop where I've never even ordered before.

Whether you like her products is of course personal, but there's not many companies (if any) that provide a better customer experience.

Big thumbs up to Claudia / CAT_made!

Her blog can be found here: http://catmade.at/
Her shop at DaWanda: http://en.dawanda.com/shop/myCatMade

And now I'll try to attach the pic she sent me of the sleeve she made me...

Over Achiever
Nov 10, 2010, 06:19 AM
I just received my suede sleeve yesterday, and it works as exactly described. That said, I'm a bit underwhelmed, not from the quality or protection standpoint, but from overall use of the sleeve. Not sure if it's due to the horizontal orientation I purchased or what.

Bluemeanie1976
Nov 10, 2010, 06:57 AM
I just received my suede sleeve yesterday, and it works as exactly described. That said, I'm a bit underwhelmed, not from the quality or protection standpoint, but from overall use of the sleeve. Not sure if it's due to the horizontal orientation I purchased or what.

Is this the suede basic sleeve? What were you expecting. It's not a carrying case, it is simply a sleeve to stop scratches etc, when you put it in your rucksack, etc. Does the job, and retains the size of the air.

TreRep
Nov 10, 2010, 07:46 AM
today tucano presented the new second skins ;)

http://www.macitynet.it/macity/articolo/Tucano-presenta-la-nuova-custodia-Elements-per-MacBook-Air-11/aA47301

i like them very much i think tucano is the best :rolleyes:

///M5
Nov 10, 2010, 08:12 AM

http://www.macitynet.it/macity/articolo/Tucano-presenta-la-nuova-custodia-Elements-per-MacBook-Air-11/aA47301

Sorry but this looks cheap :o

Hisdem
Nov 10, 2010, 08:19 AM
Tucano makes some nice gear IMO. But the fact that they insist in putting the product it's made for and labels on the outside makes their cases look just as good as any cheapo chinese no brand crap. :mad:

wirelessmacuser
Nov 10, 2010, 08:35 AM
Yes. I got the non-leather bottom and the optional strap and its a really cool bag. It's very protective, really light, and very sexy just like my new air. :cool:
I agree, mine is the fifth sleeve I've ordered from them. Each has fit the various Mac laptop models I've ordered them for, just perfectly. My preference is the optional flap to turn it from a sleeve to a case, & the strap. I've carried my rev A MBA all over the world, it's survived a lot of air travel. Now it's retired & replaced with the new MBA.

Cheers

andothfc
Nov 10, 2010, 09:11 AM

Horrible. Like the cheap eBay sleeves you can get.

TJunkers
Nov 10, 2010, 10:00 AM
Anyone know any good thin briefcases for the 13" model? Everyone I find is great if you only want to hold the laptop and no cords... It needs to be a little thicker to be able to hold a few things!

Mickinator
Nov 10, 2010, 10:01 AM
Actually, the correct term is Duct Tape. And if it's black, it not Duct Tape. Just clarifying for the engineer's favorite tape! :D

Agreed. It is duct tape. But I'm using Duck Tape which is the brand name. Check them out at www.duckbrands.com.

mac jones
Nov 10, 2010, 10:16 AM
Agreed. It is duct tape. But I'm using Duck Tape which is the brand name. Check them out at www.duckbrands.com.

Yeah I use Duck tape. (a play on "duct" I guess)

Great brand of duct tape.

God bless duct tape. :)

mac jones
Nov 10, 2010, 10:18 AM
horrible. Like the cheap ebay sleeves you can get.

Wha?

BTW , wasn't going to post as Waterfield has been getting some pretty weird buzz lately and I didn't want to add to it, even though it's good buzz.

but anyway, I've been using a 'Sleeve case' for the 11 (with flap. leather, and strap) and it's

fantastic. Really like the thin strap and the leather trim. I use it stand alone and it's perfect. (price is a bit high but worth it)

a2applegirl
Nov 10, 2010, 10:39 AM
I agree, mine is the fifth sleeve I've ordered from them. Each has fit the various Mac laptop models I've ordered them for, just perfectly. My preference is the optional flap to turn it from a sleeve to a case, & the strap. I've carried my rev A MBA all over the world, it's survived a lot of air travel. Now it's retired & replaced with the new MBA.

Cheers

I have the same configuration. It's a perfect, snug fit for the air. I really like the looks of the non-leather bottom (a black and white tighly woven mesh of some sort) and the optional flap and strap. I can't believe how light and protective the bag is. I have taken my air with me every day and it looks great and protects my air well.

For those that need to carry a lot of accessories they also offer options accessory pouches that you can add on to the bag and take off when you don't need them. :)

a2applegirl
Nov 10, 2010, 10:42 AM
Wha?

BTW , wasn't going to post as Waterfield has been getting some pretty weird buzz lately and I didn't want to add to it, even though it's good buzz.

but anyway, I've been using a 'Sleeve case' for the 11 (with flap. leather, and strap) and it's

fantastic. Really like the thin strap and the leather trim. I use it stand alone and it's perfect. (price is a bit high but worth it)

Yes I agree. I have the same bag but with the non leather trim and it really is a great little bag. :cool::)

Mickinator
Nov 10, 2010, 01:28 PM
I'd love to see it!
Great handy work :)

Here you go. Sorry for the delay.
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss37/mickster_08/1-1.jpg

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss37/mickster_08/2.jpg

redRAYZA
Nov 10, 2010, 01:57 PM
Anyone looking for a short-term solution can do what I did today and pick up a Scotch 8.5x11 Plastic Bubble Mailer. It fits the 11.6 pretty darn well. I got mine at Walgreens.

I got something similar, but cut it down & taped it up for an exact fit. Not getting anything else until I see what Incase has to offer... This $1 bubble mailer is working just as well as any other sleeve!

hsl
Nov 10, 2010, 02:01 PM
http://cl.ly/f6ba26277d25a69bd874/content/ (http://twitter.com/joli_) clickable!

Over Achiever
Nov 10, 2010, 06:25 PM
Is this the suede basic sleeve? What were you expecting. It's not a carrying case, it is simply a sleeve to stop scratches etc, when you put it in your rucksack, etc. Does the job, and retains the size of the air.

I know what it's meant for, and I said it does what it's expected to do. But it's still underwhelming for me (at the time anyway). Might be the material.

Been using it for a day or so now, I think the ease of getting it into the case now has made using it better.

nidserz
Nov 11, 2010, 02:09 AM
Here is a photo of my Hard Graft case. I have had it for a few days, but haven't really taken my MBA anywhere other than my room. I love it. It looks and feels great. Also provides great protection for the MBA. If you want more photos, just ask.

http://imgur.com/RqcGL.jpg

henry72
Nov 11, 2010, 02:11 AM
Highly recommended

http://www.coteetciel.com/store/sleeves/macbook-air.html

anilbcn
Nov 11, 2010, 07:38 AM
Highly recommended

http://www.coteetciel.com/store/sleeves/macbook-air.html

Do you know if they are available for the 11" model? Also, vertical orientation is not offered for the MacBook Air. How convenient is the horizontal one?

Corax
Nov 11, 2010, 07:59 AM
I've got this lovely real leather shoulder bag delivered today for my new late 2010 Air 13":
Link webshop (http://www.macs4u.nl/show/product/11023,more_patent_leather_bag_voor_macbook_air.php)
It isn't made for the present generation Air, but it fits mine like a glove.
It's a sleeve and slim shoulder bag in one.
Outside shiny black leather and inside orange suede leather.
I love it! :D

billy baxton
Nov 11, 2010, 08:54 AM
Here is a photo of my Hard Graft case. I have had it for a few days, but haven't really taken my MBA anywhere other than my room. I love it. It looks and feels great. Also provides great protection for the MBA. If you want more photos, just ask.

http://imgur.com/RqcGL.jpg

got mine last night. nice case/sleeve. not worth the 100+ I paid though. the only problem I have with it is, as soon as you take it out, you have to wipe the tiny felt/black fibers off the lid. and now I'm a little concerned that these tiny felt bits will migrate itself into the open ports on the side, or into the ventilation. meh.... I would have gone with that Japanese brand if given the option. still a nice looking case though

3goldens
Nov 11, 2010, 09:25 AM

How unfortunate they had to go and ruin it with the lettering. Shame.

darkgroove
Nov 11, 2010, 09:31 AM
So last night I realized that I needed to go to DC (from NYC) and that I had NOTHING to protect my brand new 11" Air. What dO?!!!?!

I quickly watched a few episodes of MacGyver to find some sort of inspiration, but alas, the only thing I took away from Mac was that dudes with houseboats are significantly cooler than people like me who have houses that can't move and/or ford a river.

I looked around and said, you know what, this Macbook Air WILL be protected. And protect it I did... I present to you the only Macbook Air sleeve/case with APPLE BRANDING. That's right, this thing is legit.

http://imgur.com/MWf4C.jpghttp://imgur.com/SIl4k.jpghttp://imgur.com/duwG7.jpg

But seriously folks. If you have a USPS Priority Mail box, a knife and some duct tape, you can really knock something cool together. I even made little tabs that lock into place to secure it. Sure, I'm waiting for something from Incase like all of you, but for the time being, I'm pretty stoked about this! Let me know if you like it!

billy baxton
Nov 11, 2010, 09:37 AM
got mine last night. nice case/sleeve. not worth the 100+ I paid though. the only problem I have with it is, as soon as you take it out, you have to wipe the tiny felt/black fibers off the lid. and now I'm a little concerned that these tiny felt bits will migrate itself into the open ports on the side, or into the ventilation. meh.... I would have gone with that Japanese brand if given the option. still a nice looking case though

yup, and as I opened the laptop this morning, I noticed lint creeped up inside. had to brush the keys off, and the outer edges. nice looking sleeve, sort of impracticable. there needs to be some sort of inner lining.

think im going to put this up on ebay

Corax
Nov 11, 2010, 10:10 AM
@Darkgroove,
Honest, great thinking, love what you've put together!:D
For some folks out there that could save them some money. ;)

SmaugG5
Nov 11, 2010, 10:16 AM
yup, and as I opened the laptop this morning, I noticed lint creeped up inside. had to brush the keys off, and the outer edges. nice looking sleeve, sort of impracticable. there needs to be some sort of inner lining.

I have the HardGraft sleeve as well and noticed the lint also. I think that the lint should diminish with use as felt tends to firm up with time/use. All in all it is a very nice sleeve for the Air but probably not worth the price paid.

billy baxton
Nov 11, 2010, 10:30 AM
I have the HardGraft sleeve as well and noticed the lint also. I think that the lint should diminish with use as felt tends to firm up with time/use. All in all it is a very nice sleeve for the Air but probably not worth the price paid.

I hope so. would be a shame to have to get rid of it. nice sleeve.

Napsju
Nov 12, 2010, 02:04 PM

So I emailed them and got a reply:
Hello, the elements Second skin for McBook Air 11.6" will be available in our site by the end of this month.

Thanks and have a nice day

May Martin

bella92108
Nov 12, 2010, 02:05 PM
So I emailed them and got a reply:

YAY! Finally the wait is over for a decent case from a real company :-)

EXCITED!

So can it be pre-ordered from them, or will it be like the last few where in the US we have to wait until resellers like amazon get it?

Stinger123
Nov 14, 2010, 05:30 PM
I hope so. would be a shame to have to get rid of it. nice sleeve.

So how is it holding up so far? Still dropping much lint?

I have one on order.

mac jones
Nov 14, 2010, 07:02 PM
Let me know how you get on with it.

I considered buying the black one just to make do until something better comes along!

Got it today FYI

It's rather nice. It has some padding and the color of the material is great (rich tannish brown). I didn't really think it would be much but it's a great deal for $20

HoosierInFL
Nov 14, 2010, 07:56 PM
I got the PDAir Book type for my 11" Air. It is very nice and fits perfectly. It is not $99 nice, but I have no complaints.

Over Achiever
Nov 14, 2010, 07:58 PM
I got the PDAir Book type for my 11" Air. It is very nice and fits perfectly. It is not $99 nice, but I have no complaints.

What are your thoughts on it? Mine arrives tomorrow.

HoosierInFL
Nov 14, 2010, 08:05 PM
What are your thoughts on it? Mine arrives tomorrow.

My thoughts are what I already posted. It's nice, perfect for my needs, but overpriced. The white stitching is subdued, so it doesn't stand out.

billy baxton
Nov 14, 2010, 08:22 PM
So how is it holding up so far? Still dropping much lint?

I have one on order.

seems to not be as bad now.falling back in love with the sleeve/mba

as at a coffeeshop the other day, had a couple people checking it out, and oooing and awwwing when I took it out, and put it back in the sleep.

that being said. could couple probably make one of these sleeves yourself. would take you about 45 mins

Corax
Nov 15, 2010, 04:17 AM
Just took some photo's of mine (13"):

http://94.100.121.223/1159350001-1159400000/1159371001-1159371100/1159371031_6_SodL.jpeg
http://94.100.120.164/1159350001-1159400000/1159371001-1159371100/1159371003_6_qC18.jpeg
http://94.100.120.237/1159350001-1159400000/1159370901-1159371000/1159370978_6_HkI7.jpeg

nomad01
Nov 15, 2010, 09:11 AM
Got it today FYI

It's rather nice. It has some padding and the color of the material is great (rich tannish brown). I didn't really think it would be much but it's a great deal for $20

Is it quite a tight fit? Looked like it night have been a bit saggy/baggy on the eBay photo.

mac jones
Nov 15, 2010, 09:42 AM
Is it quite a tight fit? Looked like it night have been a bit saggy/baggy on the eBay photo.

No it's exact. It's good quality.

It does have velcro, which is a nasty pull when the sleeve is limp (no MBA) because it has no shape so you have to kind of tug at it, but when you remove the MBA it's fine. (couldn't avoid this I imagine).

It's a good deal for that price no matter what, and there are really no issues (besides velcro)

I bought it because it was so cheap, and I was curious, and was pleasantly surprised.

The black would be nice, or any color I would think, as they are using good material.

bella92108
Nov 15, 2010, 11:57 AM

http://94.100.121.223/1159350001-1159400000/1159371001-1159371100/1159371031_6_SodL.jpeg
http://94.100.120.164/1159350001-1159400000/1159371001-1159371100/1159371003_6_qC18.jpeg
http://94.100.120.237/1159350001-1159400000/1159370901-1159371000/1159370978_6_HkI7.jpeg

Looks great, just not my thing. If I'm going to carry a messenger bag, I want it to be able to hold something besides just a "laptop on a string"... generally people either want a messenger bag (for their accessories, etc), or a sleeve. This seems to blur the line, which to me I'd also need to buy a sleeve for when I just want a sleeve, and I'd also need to buy a messenger bag for when I want to carry accessories. Those two needs combined would make this not much use for me.

YMark
Nov 15, 2010, 12:05 PM
Looks great, just not my thing. If I'm going to carry a messenger bag, I want it to be able to hold something besides just a "laptop on a string"... generally people either want a messenger bag (for their accessories, etc), or a sleeve. This seems to blur the line, which to me I'd also need to buy a sleeve for when I just want a sleeve, and I'd also need to buy a messenger bag for when I want to carry accessories. Those two needs combined would make this not much use for me.

I agree. Don't really see the point in carrying the Air and the Air ONLY around my neck.

Bluemeanie1976
Nov 15, 2010, 12:13 PM
I agree. Don't really see the point in carrying the Air and the Air ONLY around my neck.

Agree entirely.

Ben32
Nov 15, 2010, 01:03 PM
I wanted to go for the hardgraft but thought i should save some money, so i took this one (http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370452354983&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_977wt_902) (corduroy cushcase) for the moment..
Does someone allready have it? Is it okay? Seems way to big on the pic :confused:

YAY! Finally the wait is over for a decent case from a real company :-)
EXCITED!

Will definitely go for a second skin when its out ;)

Viper2005
Nov 15, 2010, 07:29 PM
Im personally waiting for Booq's Viper 11 case

http://www.booqbags.com/laptop-backpacks-laptop-bags/13-inch-macbook-air-bags/Viper-11-macbook-air-case

It can hold both my MBA11 and Ipad all in one hard case! :eek:

MikhailT
Nov 15, 2010, 07:32 PM
I contacted SFBags, they are considering about making both the Slip and Smart cases. I love their Smart case series and would totally buy one on the first day if they do come out with Smart Case for MBA 11.

LS1
Nov 15, 2010, 07:58 PM
What is taking incase so long? I can only wait so long. Might have to get one of those Joli Original sleeves if they don't come out with one soon.

hsl
Nov 16, 2010, 09:39 AM
would be a great choice ;-) still happy with mine:

http://f.cl.ly/items/170D2i0a3K431N3f1m0o/HL160985.png (http://jolioriginals.com) clickable :-)

LS1
Nov 16, 2010, 02:28 PM

http://f.cl.ly/items/170D2i0a3K431N3f1m0o/HL160985.png (http://jolioriginals.com) clickable :-)

Is that a pretty tight fit? I was just worried it could slide out the side if I hold it horizontally with a few textbooks. I figure incase will have a sleeve that totally closes (and doesn't look retarded like so many others).

hsl
Nov 16, 2010, 02:55 PM
Is that a pretty tight fit? I was just worried it could slide out the side if I hold it horizontally with a few textbooks. I figure incase will have a sleeve that totally closes (and doesn't look retarded like so many others).

it's supertight and there is no way it can fall out (i can make a video if you want :-)), I hate sleeves with a cover/flap because that;s always in the way, or there is a little press-stud that can damage the laptop/ipad :-)

hsl
Nov 16, 2010, 03:49 PM
link to quick video :-) (http://vimeo.com/16902226)

mcvaughan
Nov 16, 2010, 04:10 PM

Where'd you get this? This is exactly what I'm looking for. :-)

Edit: clicked the link. ;-)

barmann
Nov 16, 2010, 04:20 PM

I understand how people don't want to add more bulk to an MBA, but why spend money on a thing like that, which offers zero protection - like all sleeves ?

To protect from scratches there are skins, which are much more convenient and thinner, and to avoid dents one needs a hard case.

It is pretty, though, - is that the point ? ;)

hcho3
Nov 16, 2010, 04:23 PM
Nice design, but 59 dollars? Pass.

I am gonna go with water Field sleeve.

EthanNixon
Nov 16, 2010, 05:33 PM
I understand how people don't want to add more bulk to an MBA, but why spend money on a thing like that, which offers zero protection - like all sleeves ?

To protect from scratches there are skins, which are much more convenient and thinner, and to avoid dents one needs a hard case.

My opinion of cases/sleeves on laptops: Sleeves are the only thing that doesn't hide the beauty of the product you are using. Most sleeves can be laid down right under the laptop while in use, where as hard cases have to usually be put to the side or on the floor, etc. Skins look completely awful on any laptop, and just hinder the looks of the laptop. Actual cases that snap on, or whatever other ones there are, just look ridiculous and add very little protection.

A sleeve isn't meant for protection as much really, just something added so you can throw it in a book bag or whatever.

I personally wouldn't buy a sleeve, case, or skins though. I would rather throw it in a bookbag with a dedicated laptop compartment, very similar to what I do with my iPad. :P

LS1
Nov 16, 2010, 11:14 PM

Zero protection? It would protect from scratches and some dents. I'm not planning on dropping the computer on the floor and I assume that if something large falls on it I'm going to get a dent. I've used sleeves on all my laptops for the last 10 years and they do offer a good amount of protection. I'm super careful with my laptops and sleeves help keep them in like new condition.

Skins usually look awful and only protect from scratches. The air is a beautiful machine. I wouldn't want to put some cheap plastic over it. Skins also can be a b*tch to put on.

LS1
Nov 16, 2010, 11:49 PM
it's supertight and there is no way it can fall out (i can make a video if you want :-)), I hate sleeves with a cover/flap because that;s always in the way, or there is a little press-stud that can damage the laptop/ipad :-)

Wow. Thanks for posting the video. Now I just need to decide what colors to get.

3goldens
Nov 16, 2010, 11:54 PM
I love the Jolioriginal sleeve that I'm testing at the moment :)

http://f.cl.ly/items/ac153177e6e94ff774c5/IMG_0214.jpeg (http://jolioriginals.com)

http://f.cl.ly/items/b82ac6d0d7bba16293ea/IMG_0213.jpeg (http://jolioriginals.com)

very nice but $75 bucks is way over the top!

nomad01
Nov 17, 2010, 01:34 AM
No it's exact. It's good quality.

It does have velcro, which is a nasty pull when the sleeve is limp (no MBA) because it has no shape so you have to kind of tug at it, but when you remove the MBA it's fine. (couldn't avoid this I imagine).

Ordered one in black. My MBA needs to start travelling more soni just need something until there's more choice out there.

Thanks for the review!

fizzwinkus
Nov 17, 2010, 02:14 AM
but in all honestly, if there was a knockoff company doing the same thing, I would have purchased through them. hard graft prices are steep. especialy for what you get. but you are paying for a luxury item, just like you did when you bought your macbook air.

there are several knock offs on etsy and i'm sure elsewhere that will net you a good 30-40% discount. that said, in pictures, i find hardgraft's quality is better. hard graft is great. i own two of their tilt cases for ipads and would really like to get one for the macbook air, just not the xiii.

and that other poster is just confusing quality wool with recycled insulation. they look a little bit alike if you squint really hard ;)

ranxoren
Nov 17, 2010, 01:30 PM
very nice but $75 bucks is way over the top!

my thoughts too. I went to order one yesterday because I like the style but 75$...

hsl
Nov 17, 2010, 01:44 PM
I like the style but 75$...
Can imagine that it's a lot of money for a sleeve, but it's real leather and real wool felt (not synthetic). She can only make 5 a day. The dollar-euro conversion is not really ideal for selling in the US at the moment :/ and on top of that, etsy and paypal also take almost 8-9%

And remember, there is still a MacRumors discount ;-)

barmann
Nov 17, 2010, 02:14 PM
Zero protection? It would protect from scratches and some dents. I'm not planning on dropping the computer on the floor and I assume that if something large falls on it I'm going to get a dent.

Put the MBA in a sleeve, then in a bag. Let's even make it a slightly padded bag.

Go to airport, and through security. Repeat, do it again, repeat.
Now you have at least once put down the bag with the MBA inside just a little too hard.

Even more likely, some security goon did it for you .

It's how I killed two MBPs wearing sleeves.
Zero protection from dents by a sleeve, or any other shock induced damage - that's a 0 .

A sleeve is a super-thick scratch protection device, nothing more, nothing less. Only a hard shell can properly dissipate shock energy, don't fool yourself.

Neoprene is utterly useless, wool and fabrics even more so, closed cell foam is pretty good .
And bubble wrap.

ranxoren
Nov 17, 2010, 02:44 PM
Can imagine that it's a lot of money for a sleeve, but it's real leather and real wool felt (not synthetic). She can only make 5 a day. The dollar-euro conversion is not really ideal for selling in the US at the moment :/ and on top of that, etsy and paypal also take almost 8-9%

And remember, there is still a MacRumors discount ;-)

well I am in Canada right now so shipping is probably even more expensive lol. Can you ask your girlfriend how much she would charge me for an iPhone 4 and a 11" Air case ? We can take this to PM if you want. Thanks!

LS1
Nov 17, 2010, 03:15 PM
Put the MBA in a sleeve, then in a bag. Let's even make it a slightly padded bag.

Now you have at least once put down the bag with the MBA inside just a little too hard.

Zero protection from dents by a sleeve, or any other shock induced damage - that's a 0 .

A sleeve is a super-thick scratch protection device, nothing more, nothing less. Only a hard shell can properly dissipate shock energy, don't fool yourself.

Neoprene is utterly useless, wool and fabrics even more so, closed cell foam is pretty good .
And bubble wrap.

so you want me to go to an airport and try this? I'll be right back....

bella92108
Nov 17, 2010, 03:16 PM
so you want me to go to an airport and try this? I'll be right back....

ugh this thread has become useless.

diotav
Nov 17, 2010, 04:58 PM
Ordered both the 11-inch MBA and ColcaSac's Hanakapiai MacBook Sleeve (http://colcasac.com/macbook-sleeve/hanakapiai-macbook-sleeve).

Corax
Nov 17, 2010, 05:07 PM

It's very protective, between the outside black leather and inside orange suede leather is hard plastic!

iRun26.2
Nov 17, 2010, 07:01 PM

Supertight would make me worry about scratching the MBA.

hsl
Nov 18, 2010, 02:04 AM
Why? it's woolfelt, not sandpaper ;-)

emotion
Nov 18, 2010, 12:21 PM
They do them for 13" MBA and iPad but not 11" yet. Look nice. Even have instructions to make your own.

http://wrappers.typepad.com/ipod/make_your_own_laptop_sleeve/

The Final Cut
Nov 18, 2010, 01:36 PM
Just got the Tamrac 1701 fits like a glove.

alau0115
Nov 18, 2010, 01:57 PM

No, depending on the surface, woolfelt would mar the surface if the surface is not clean enough. It won't cause a big scratch though.

ccsicecoke
Nov 18, 2010, 06:13 PM

And bubble wrap.

What you are referring must be those cheap ones.

I bet you haven't try the sleeve from Incase. I have bought an Incase sleeve for my iPad and with the sleeve on it I can drop the ipad from at least 1.5m height with no damage. And it only costs $29.

Right now i'm desperately waiting for the Incase sleeve for 11 MBA

Viper2005
Nov 18, 2010, 07:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It may be supertight to begin with, but leather tends to stretch a bit over time and the fit should be better.

rubberwheels
Nov 18, 2010, 10:09 PM
Just got my SfBags Suede Jacket Sleeve in the mail and I love it! Good fit with my wrapsol on too! The finger loops, i thought that they were useless but they're actually useful!

Liudavid
Nov 18, 2010, 10:26 PM
I'm using Sony VGP-CKX1 sleeve for my 11. It's quite tight in the beginning but the sleeve will loose a bit after using for a while. Check it out if you are interest. ;)

http://sp.sony-asia.com/media/151/75319

goodtimes5
Nov 19, 2010, 02:27 AM
I'm using Sony VGP-CKX1 sleeve for my 11. It's quite tight in the beginning but the sleeve will loose a bit after using for a while. Check it out if you are interest. ;)

http://sp.sony-asia.com/media/151/75319

Google says that costs $170 minimum. :(

Liudavid
Nov 19, 2010, 06:21 AM
Google says that costs $170 minimum. :(

Its about US$100 in Hong Kong. ;)

nomad01
Nov 19, 2010, 10:33 AM
Got it today FYI

Well I bought the black one. Just got it as a standby for now but am so impressed with it I think it'll be a keeper.

Well made, snug fit, decently padded and it's not got any obtrusive branding. It's easily as nicely made as the AppleSac I had for my old 13 inch Macbook and at a fraction of the cost.

emotion
Nov 19, 2010, 11:10 AM
The stuff from these guys looks interesting:

http://caseclosed.typepad.com/ipad/macbook-air-11/

They also have cases coming for the 11" Air here too (along the same lines as the Vaio cases):

http://wrappers.typepad.com/ipod/11_inch_sony_vaio_tz_sleeves/

Their customer service is very responsive to queries which is a good sign.

Ben32
Nov 20, 2010, 09:25 AM
I recieved my cushcase today, it is pretty decent and seems to protect the mba fine.
Happy with it!

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/4346/37371204.jpg http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7685/64721479.jpg

3goldens
Nov 21, 2010, 12:23 AM
I recieved my cushcase today, it is pretty decent and seems to protect the mba fine.
Happy with it!

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/4346/37371204.jpg http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7685/64721479.jpg

Not bad if you like corduroy, not exactly my favorite material, maybe for pants but not for a computer sleeve.
2 each his own as they say!

amammad
Nov 21, 2010, 03:20 AM
Not bad if you like corduroy, not exactly my favorite material, maybe for pants but not for a computer sleeve.

Hmm. You didn't like the Hard Graft either did you? And yet you DID like the look of the tacky neoprene LuvMac ones from eBay.

To each his own indeed! :rolleyes:

dmelgar
Nov 21, 2010, 09:01 AM
Hmm. You didn't like the Hard Graft either did you? And yet you DID like the look of the tacky neoprene LuvMac ones from eBay.

To each his own indeed! :rolleyes:

LuvMac one looks great! Where can you get them? eBay listing says it's not available anymore, i can't find it anywhere else. I expect the inCase one to look similar when it comes out but its not available yet.

bella92108
Nov 21, 2010, 11:46 AM

+1 to your point, it's ugly in my opinion. It's like getting a Porsche and then putting a blue rain tarp over it for a cover. While it might protect it, people will laugh at the cover, which draws attention away from the product. This isn't the 1990's, corduroy is out.

amammad
Nov 21, 2010, 01:30 PM
While it might protect it, people will laugh at the cover, which draws attention away from the product. This isn't the 1990's, corduroy is out.

And your comments suggest that you have about as much sense of style as Sarah Palin. Fact.

I look forward to seeing you in your neoprene pants! :rolleyes:

bella92108
Nov 21, 2010, 01:31 PM
And your comments suggest that you have about as much sense of style as Sarah Palin. Fact.

I look forward to seeing you in your neoprene pants! :rolleyes:

You're not getting much support on that one... go to Apple, or BestBuy or any electronics store. See how many corduroy cases you see, then see how many neoprene you see. They don't sell it because they like playing god of all things computers, they sell it because it's what's in style and in-demand.

Get with the program!

amammad
Nov 21, 2010, 01:50 PM
See how many corduroy cases you see, then see how many neoprene you see. They don't sell it because they like playing god of all things computers, they sell it because it's what's in style and in-demand.

Oh I see... so following the crowd like a sheep is a sign of good taste?

Maybe take a look at what all the style-less geeks are buying in Best Buy and Apple next time you're doing a visual survey. Welcome to the club!

bella92108
Nov 21, 2010, 01:52 PM
Oh I see... so following the crowd like a sheep is a sign of good taste?

Maybe take a look at what all the style-less geeks are buying in Best Buy and Apple next time you're doing a visual survey. Welcome to the club!

Right. So you shouldn't buy apple because it's a trendy item. You should do something different rather than "bahhhh"ing like a sheep.

amammad
Nov 21, 2010, 02:00 PM
Right. So you shouldn't buy apple because it's a trendy item. You should do something different rather than "bahhhh"ing like a sheep.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

You really need this explaining???

bella92108
Nov 21, 2010, 02:02 PM
Are you being deliberately obtuse?

You really need this explaining???

All I said was I didn't think it was an attractive case for a macbook air... several others agreed. I'd bet if you posted a poll 90% would say they don't like it. But either way,it's irrelevant, I was simply stating that you calling me a sheep for buying a well-desired Neoprene Sleeve when you own a mac product makes you a hypocrite. Good luck and enjoy your cords

amammad
Nov 21, 2010, 02:04 PM
All I said was I didn't think it was an attractive case for a macbook air... several others agreed. I'd bet if you posted a poll 90% would say they don't like it. But either way,it's irrelevant, I was simply stating that you calling me a sheep for buying a well-desired Neoprene Sleeve when you own a mac product makes you a hypocrite. Good luck and enjoy your cords

No. Actually, what you do on these forums is forcefully express your opinions as fact.

What was that Apple slogan?? Oh yeah... Think Different. Enjoy your wet suit!

nomad01
Nov 21, 2010, 02:06 PM
Oh for Christ's sake will you two give it up.

Behaving like children kind of invalidates both of your opinions!

bella92108
Nov 21, 2010, 02:06 PM
No. Actually, what you do on these forums is forcefully express your opinions as fact.

What was that Apple slogan?? Oh yeah... Think Different. Enjoy your wet suit!

Your comment... "you have about as much sense of style as Sarah Palin. Fact."

You just keep up that hypocrisy buddy.

amammad
Nov 21, 2010, 02:12 PM
Your comment... "you have about as much sense of style as Sarah Palin. Fact."

You just keep up that hypocrisy buddy.

Actually I said your comments suggest that you have about as much sense of style as Sarah Palin. Feel free to take it out of context to win an argument though.

No how about going back and re-reading some of your own comments from the last few weeks. :rolleyes:

hsl
Nov 21, 2010, 02:47 PM
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png

bella92108
Nov 21, 2010, 02:59 PM
Actually I said your comments suggest that you have about as much sense of style as Sarah Palin. Feel free to take it out of context to win an argument though.

No how about going back and re-reading some of your own comments from the last few weeks. :rolleyes:

Suggestions usually aren't followed by "Fact." lol

jksu
Nov 21, 2010, 04:10 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370455362954&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4674wt_934

$28 + reasonable shipping.

similar in style/look to the booq vyper's it seems... a bit more protection than a simple/incase neoprene.

anyone?

personally debating any sleeve at all since i'm going the wrapsol route and there's a built in sleeve on my timbuk2 bag that i use every day -- although it's for up to 15" laptops.

the sleeve would be to carry to a meeting/conference lecture or added protection in carryon luggage (if i don't bring the timbuk2)

jksu

Jiten
Nov 21, 2010, 05:28 PM
Anyway, I recall when the first Gen Air was released there was a slew of "Manila envelope" style sleeves that came out. Any 11.6 versions out there yet?

mac jones
Nov 21, 2010, 06:21 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370455362954&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4674wt_934

$28 + reasonable shipping.

similar in style/look to the booq vyper's it seems... a bit more protection than a simple/incase neoprene.

anyone?

personally debating any sleeve at all since i'm going the wrapsol route and there's a built in sleeve on my timbuk2 bag that i use every day -- although it's for up to 15" laptops.

the sleeve would be to carry to a meeting/conference lecture or added protection in carryon luggage (if i don't bring the timbuk2)

jksu

I'm a huge Zeroshock fan. I've collected over the years like 5 in different sizes. (I've got to give it a rest now thank you) :)

Anything in the wet rubber look :D

mac jones
Nov 21, 2010, 06:24 PM
Well I bought the black one. Just got it as a standby for now but am so impressed with it I think it'll be a keeper.

Well made, snug fit, decently padded and it's not got any obtrusive branding. It's easily as nicely made as the AppleSac I had for my old 13 inch Macbook and at a fraction of the cost.

Yes, black would be really cool. The brown is really nice. I didn't really care about the color as I didn't have much faith that it would be any good. Not so.

Ben32
Nov 22, 2010, 01:07 PM
+1 to your point, it's ugly in my opinion. It's like getting a Porsche and then putting a blue rain tarp over it for a cover. While it might protect it, people will laugh at the cover, which draws attention away from the product. This isn't the 1990's, corduroy is out.

As long as I'm happy with it. I like the "handmade" vintage look of the sleeve. Some will prefer high end neoprene or leather, whatever..
It's also very cheap, about 10 €, and with the foam and fleece layers, i'm quite sure it protects as good as or even better than a Tucano second skin (got 3 of them). And by the way, some of my friends allready told me they loved it.

jksu
Nov 22, 2010, 01:45 PM
great!

do you use one for a 11.6" mba and do you know if the one i linked fits?

thanks,
jksu

I'm a huge Zeroshock fan. I've collected over the years like 5 in different sizes. (I've got to give it a rest now thank you) :)

Anything in the wet rubber look :D

puchelaar
Nov 24, 2010, 09:41 AM
I'm happy with my new Air, and with the new sleeve. Both have elicited a lot of positive comments in the last 2 days (since I have the sleeve).

The seller was extremely service oriented; she sent my sleeve before I'd even transferred the money. Then, after me having received it and being sad because it was too large, she made a new one and sent me that one (I *did* pay the extra shipping cost) before I'd even returned the old one. And this one is perfect; snug, well-made, different and very obvious (but not as a sleeve ;) ).

By the way; the design can probably be changed if you want. I asked for the red cross that she had on smaller bags, because I liked it, but I realize it's probably not for everyone...

Here are a couple of pictures; the first one of the packaging inside the cardboard box, the rest of the sleeve and my snug-fitting Air: http://gallery.me.com/puchelaar#100053
And the address for the shop: http://en.dawanda.com/shop/myCatMade

Oh, alright, I'll post one here as well, just because I'm so happy with it.

emotion
Nov 24, 2010, 09:45 AM
I like that.

My new sleeve is on it's way.

My mum's also told me she's making me one (!) :)

WorldIRC
Nov 24, 2010, 12:21 PM
Colcasac just shipped my 11.6" Hanakapiai case. Should have it tomorrow!

celo48
Nov 24, 2010, 02:39 PM
Don't know if anybody already posted this but this is my favorite one. However, it is VERY expensive! VERY NICE though.

http://store.apple.com/ie-business/product/TW084ZM/A

Edit: this is for 13" but they should make one for the 11" version also???

arj007
Nov 24, 2010, 05:57 PM
im still waiting for a good case, I dont want to spend ridiculous amounts just because there arent many cases yet. If incase do one thats the one i will probably get, but for now i think my air will be staying at home

barmann
Nov 25, 2010, 03:04 PM
Still hoping for a case; sleeves I have plenty of ...

mcdonaldtosh
Nov 25, 2010, 03:42 PM
http://bildr.no/image/765796.jpeg

nylon
Nov 25, 2010, 04:48 PM
Still no Incase products for the new 11" and 13" airs? What's taking so long!

skeen
Nov 26, 2010, 11:01 AM
The hardgraft one looks great...but at 70 incl. delivery, can't bring myself to do it!

shaneomac.28
Nov 27, 2010, 03:20 AM
If leather and wool are your thing this case is quite nice.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62805759/11-inch-macbook-air-sleeve-case-with

teerexx52
Nov 27, 2010, 04:58 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230556808533&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_1129wt_1141

hsl
Nov 27, 2010, 08:26 PM
http://ny-image3.etsy.com/il_570xN.197175955.jpg (http://jolioriginals.com)
brown-blue (http://jolioriginals.com)

And I have an even better one, but I'll post a picture tomorrow when I can take a picture during daylight

:-)

patricia b
Nov 29, 2010, 10:44 AM

This is very helpful info. I like the look of this sleeve but was already hesitant because of the price.

patricia b
Nov 29, 2010, 10:46 AM
If leather and wool are your thing this case is quite nice.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62805759/11-inch-macbook-air-sleeve-case-with

Very, very nice. Someone has already had issues with wool fibers so I'm not sure I'd try this, but I do like it.

patricia b
Nov 29, 2010, 11:04 AM
This will be my third Apple laptop. I first had a 12" PowerBook with aluminum case (or was it 11"? I forget, but it was the smallest). That ended up with a dent in it where I dropped it about 12" onto a hard tile floor when it slipped from my fingers. I couldn't plug the powercord in until I took a small hammer and knocked it gently back into shape... or enough into shape that the cord fit, anyway.

I now have a 13" unibody MacBook. I always resented that they didn't make a smaller one. (I am obviously hard on things and thus the aluminum is a must for me.)

I've used sfbags for both of them. I just use the sleeve, no extras. I always carry my laptop with me in my shoulderbag so don't need straps and need it to take up as little room as possible. OTOH, that whole protection thing--I like that the sfbags are so tough. With the unibody being so solid, I probably could have gotten by with something less sturdy, but I have liked these a lot.

Now I'm waiting for delivery of my 11" MBA and am looking at my options. As much as I've loved my sfbags, I may go a different direction. Because size is so important, I might go with something a tad less protective and bulky.

How solid/tough are the Airs? Do they feel like they need protection from jarring, or just scratching? If it's only scratching I'll probably at least start out with a Decal Girl burlwood cover (http://www.decalgirl.com/item.view/17795). I love the look of the wood and have used this brand of covers on my iPod and Kindle and really like them.

I was tempted by several (http://www.decalgirl.com/item.view/34621) of the designs and would have loved something very steampunk (http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mods/multimedia/2007/06/gallery_steampunk?slide=3) in appearance or retro typewriter, (http://www.maryrobinettekowal.com/journal/the-kowal-portable-typewriter-and-adding-machine/) but the wood is very nice.

But if I need more real protection, I will instead get a "real" sleeve.

What do you all think?

Thanks!

bcaslis
Nov 29, 2010, 11:45 AM
I've used sfbags for both of them. I just use the sleeve, no extras. I always carry my laptop with me in my shoulderbag so don't need straps and need it to take up as little room as possible. OTOH, that whole protection thing--I like that the sfbags are so tough. With the unibody being so solid, I probably could have gotten by with something less sturdy, but I have liked these a lot.

I've had lots of sfbag sleeves in the past and they are excellent. Currently I'm using the Tom Bihn Ristretto for iPad bag for the 11". The MBA is a little long for this bag but it fits. They also have a slightly larger Ristretto which would fit it no problem. These bags have built-in sleeves and pocket for cables and chargers. You can also get organizer packs which clip onto eyelets in the bag for storage. The Absolute optional shoulder strap is a must get if you get this bag. I've been using it for months with an iPad and it work OK for me with the 11".

Ristretto for iPad:
http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0222

Ristretto:
http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0223

hsl
Nov 29, 2010, 11:56 AM
Very, very nice. Someone has already had issues with wool fibers so I'm not sure I'd try this, but I do like it.
If you use cheap synthetical felt it's can have problems, there are a lot of different felt with different types of fibers. But this is 100% natural wool felt, 100% sheep, so no problems here. :-)

pmgmac
Nov 29, 2010, 12:30 PM
I've had lots of sfbag sleeves in the past and they are excellent. Currently I'm using the Tom Bihn Ristretto for iPad bag for the 11". The MBA is a little long for this bag but it fits. They also have a slightly larger Ristretto which would fit it no problem. These bags have built-in sleeves and pocket for cables and chargers. You can also get organizer packs which clip onto eyelets in the bag for storage. The Absolute optional shoulder strap is a must get if you get this bag. I've been using it for months with an iPad and it work OK for me with the 11".

Ristretto for iPad:
http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0222

Ristretto:
http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0223

According to the blog pages on the Tom Bihn site, they are (not surprisingly) making a version of the Ristretto for the 11". (I use their Checkpoint Flyer bag for my 15" MBP, and it is great -- very high quality).

bcaslis
Nov 29, 2010, 12:35 PM
According to the blog pages on the Tom Bihn site, they are (not surprisingly) making a version of the Ristretto for the 11". (I use their Checkpoint Flyer bag for my 15" MBP, and it is great -- very high quality).

Sounds cool. Since I already had Ristretto for iPad, I just used it. :D

pmgmac
Nov 29, 2010, 01:19 PM
Sounds cool. Since I already had Ristretto for iPad, I just used it. :D

I've got an 11 and was debating between the two versions of the Ristretto -- decided to wait for the one sized specifically for the 11.

BTW, thanks for the pictures of the Ristretto for iPad (with Air 11) earlier in the thread.

Mechinyun
Nov 29, 2010, 01:26 PM
http://ny-image3.etsy.com/il_570xN.197175955.jpg (http://jolioriginals.com)
brown-blue (http://jolioriginals.com)

And I have an even better one, but I'll post a picture tomorrow when I can take a picture during daylight

:-)

Love these sleeves, just cant afford them :(

techound1
Nov 29, 2010, 02:44 PM
I just finished prototyping this one. It's treadmill tread over felt - thin, durable, grippy on the outside and buttery soft on the inside. Took it for its first adventure today bouncing around the inside of a fanny pack and it's as happy as a clam. If you're interested, let me know and I can build one for you for far less than the leather ones :p Or, if you're handy and have your own felt, I can hook you up the the appropriate size piece of tread.

brdnboy
Nov 29, 2010, 03:15 PM
A reply from InCase this morning:

Date: November 29, 2010 12:10:22 PM MST
To: <Redacted>
Subject: Re: Apple MacBook Air 11" (Late 2010) Neoprene Sleeve

Thanks for your interest in Incase.

We are working on cases for the new MacBook Air. Currently we do not
have an ETA. Please keep an eye on our website
for future updates.

Best regards

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 5:10 PM, <Redacted> wrote:
Hello,
I wanted to inquire and see if there are plans for a Neoprene Sleeve for the new Apple MacBook Air 11" (Late 2010) and if so, when it would be available for purchase. I previously used the neoprene sleeve for my 13" MacBook Air and liked it a lot. I would love to get an InCase neoprene sleeve for my 11", and I know that many 11" MacBook Air owners feels the same. Let me know what kind of case options and availability there will be for the Apple MacBook Air 11".

Thanks,
<Redacted>

--
The Incase Consumer Support Team

15751 Tapia St
Irwindale, CA 91706

888-283-8288 P

http://goincase.com

billy baxton
Nov 29, 2010, 04:03 PM
This is very helpful info. I like the look of this sleeve but was already hesitant because of the price.

I dont seem to be having the same problem anymore. but I can see that its going the way of my old wool sweaters. I dont think its meant to be tossed around too much.