Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
seriously i have been outta the loop for a few years having babes and i need some help bad! so my current 2007 black macbook has the following:

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

it is now dying on me for two reasons, out of memory and the screen has been damaged........so i need to get a new mac of course but i don't know which one i should go for!

i have a lot of photos and tons of music but i just use it to check email and surf the web - any suggestions on what to get?

i was thinking of the MBA but will it hold all of my pics, videos and music? i know i can get an external hard drive but i kinda like all of my stuff on my computer or should i just get over that?

or is the imac just amazing? :eek:

any help would be most appreciated! thanks!

mattpreston11

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
personally i wouldn't consider the MBA to be a primary machine(especially without an external drive). Although that depends on your needs, Maybe another macbook or pro would better suit your needs? Would you really use your mac so much if it was tied to your desk?

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
How much is "a lot"? If your only machine now is a 2007 MacBook the new MBA should be plenty. The iMac is a sweet machine though, so it depends on how mobile you want your setup to be.

How full is your hard drive now, and what size is it?

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
i know, i kinda like sitting in bed with the laptop, i only travel a few times a year at least for now.......but then again i could get the next ipad that comes out next year and then have the imac........

currently i have 13,000 pics, 10,000 songs and 100 videos - is that still a ton? it used to be!!

i also need to get another 5,000 old pics off of an even older mac and then will need room for new pictures!

i just have no clue what these new MBA's hold in terms of media....

btw, my very first computer was a Macintosh Classic if anyone cares!

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
The MBA is very limited in storage but you get that faster boot time and small form factor. It is very aesthetically pleasing and very portable. I bought the iMac 27" about a month ago and the screen size, storage, speed is just amazing. I am very pleased with it and have barely used my MBP since.

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
so basically even if i get the full tripped out 13 MBA, it will not hold all of the media i have or will have w/out an external drive?

am i better off going the imac route now w/the 2011 hopefully cooler ipad for portability??

thanks for the help!

jamone13

Cancelled
Apr 20, 2010
so basically even if i get the full tripped out 13 MBA, it will not hold all of the media i have or will have w/out an external drive?

am i better off going the imac route now w/the 2011 hopefully cooler ipad for portability??

thanks for the help!

Its hard to say. 10k pictures may or may not be a lot of storage space. Are we talking 1mb files, or 15mb files? Tell us the total size of your picture, music, and video folders for us/you to really know if it will work. I have 20k photos, 5k songs, and use 130GB for those on my 13" AIR but it works since I have a 256GB version.

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
Its hard to say. 10k pictures may or may not be a lot of storage space. Are we talking 1mb files, or 15mb files? Tell us the total size of your picture, music, and video folders for us/you to really know if it will work. I have 20k photos, 5k songs, and use 130GB for those on my 13" AIR but it works since I have a 256GB version.

i just checked my activity monitor and here is what it is saying:

safari 164 MB
itunes 110 MB
mail 100 MB
iphoto 80 MB
flip video 50 MB

system memory free is 25 MB

disk usage is 160 GB w/25 GB free

also i use a canon rebel T1i so i believe the pics are on the larger side.....

is there a better place to check than the monitor? thx again for your help!

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
You could get the 13" MBA with 256GB FS to fix everything in your MB now. However, considering $, it is much more economical to get the 13" MB Pro. Since you are not traveling, the lighter weight of MBA is not that important. On the other hand, with the MBP, it is a much faster processor and you are not limited to 4 GB of RAM. You can still have 'everything' within one computer, and use it on your bed or anywhere in the house.

There are also MBP refurbished models available at Apple online store for extra saving.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
To get an MBA that truly suits your needs you would have to get the top spec one. At that point I would recommend getting a MBP. An iMac would be more powerful than either, but it sounds like you enjoy the portability. Though your suggestion on an iMac and iPad would work perfectly.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
To me it sounds like you're in the market for a 13"mbp.

You like to have all stored on computer. You like portability. The MBA, although awesome, is not going to be able to meet your basi requirements.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
I actually went from the exact same specs (and color). My hard drive died and my logic board had been faulty for quite some time. I ended up going with a MBA because I travel so much so I had no reason to go with an iMac (your situation is different).

I do a lot of photography, and I keep my entire photo collection on a portable external HD, and keep photos from the past year (around 2500 RAW files) on the MBA. I've done a lot of processing, and I don't feel much of a speed change between my faster spec MB and my current MBA. Of course I didn't time anything, so it's all subjective.

I do enjoy the portability, and the ability to develop my photos on the spot. If you don't need to be mobile, an iMac makes more sense (I already have an external 20" monitor I can connect to), and if you need faster specs, then a MBP will probably be an even better option.

EDIT - I saw your subsequent posts. If you want to keep your entire library on your computer, I think the iMac is a better option, with an iPad later for bed surfing. Or a refurb MBP. The MBA will probably not suit you as a primary computer.

mbamd

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2008
Does "value" matter?

The 13 inch MBA that you want could be as follows:
2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage
Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive
Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
MacBook / MacBook Air / 13-inch MacBook Pro - AppleCare Protection Plan - Auto-enroll
MobileMe
USB Ethernet Adapter
Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
That would cost $2254 (without an education discount)

The base IMac is $1200.
The base 11 inch Air is $1000.
Perhaps you are better off with both?
I personally do not buy into this argument because I am not a "value" buyer. However it is an argument that a sales clerk at the Mac store tried to make to me and it may make sense for you.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
I actually went from the exact same specs (and color). My hard drive died and my logic board had been faulty for quite some time. I ended up going with a MBA because I travel so much so I had no reason to go with an iMac (your situation is different).

I do a lot of photography, and I keep my entire photo collection on a portable external HD, and keep photos from the past year (around 2500 RAW files) on the MBA. I've done a lot of processing, and I don't feel much of a speed change between my faster spec MB and my current MBA. Of course I didn't time anything, so it's all subjective.

I do enjoy the portability, and the ability to develop my photos on the spot. If you don't need to be mobile, an iMac makes more sense (I already have an external 20" monitor I can connect to), and if you need faster specs, then a MBP will probably be an even better option.

EDIT - I saw your subsequent posts. If you want to keep your entire library on your computer, I think the iMac is a better option, with an iPad later for bed surfing. Or refurb. The MBA will probably not suit you as a primary computer.

Agree with this. You would probably have to buy the top end Air to fit all your files on, and at that price unless you need portability i would go with the iMac.

Oh and i see you have a GF1 Over Achiever

Attachments

• large_homer.drool.jpg
    large_homer.drool.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 245

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
The MacBook Air is largely for those who travel, or value ultimate portability. If there are children around the house I would avoid one. They can be fragile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.