Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
As rumored, Apple released a low-end headless Mac... the Mac Mini. The newest Mac offers the following features

1.25GHz G4 or 1.4GHz G4 for $499 or $599
6.5 inches wide and 2 inches tall
2.9 pounds
Up to 1GB of Memory supported (comes with 256MB)
ATI Radeon 9200
iLife '05
Keyboard, Mouse, and Monitor sold seperately

Available at the Apple Store

AdamZ

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
All together now, "WOW!"

The cube has returned to us. The only thing that sucks about it is that I may have to buy three of them for all close friends and family. We love you Apple!

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
soon to be the best selling personal computer of 2005 and the best selling mac and personal computer ever

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Great job Apple

It's in credible. Let's hope it attracts a lot of switchers. It's great that you even get a lot of software. Even AW is included. :D

tom.96

Suspended
Jun 13, 2003
For the price this really is amazing. All that top software alone must be worth the asking price. Add a computer like that in to the deal and... wow.

Prediction: This is going to fly off the shelves. :D

DaleMox

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2005
I guess no xMac for now... oh well. Definitely a better name then "Mac mini" although I guess it benefits for the "iPod mini" relationship...

Dale

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
Looks nice.

Just a few negatives I see:

Edu discount only $20 :(

Only 1 DIMM slot and I'm guessing it's laptop memory so expensive to get to 1GB RAM (and RAM must be installed by Apple authorized...). If it's regular memory, it's no problem.

I also wonder if the HD is a laptop drive.

But all in all, looks pretty good.

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
bummer its not a G5, but who cares!?!? That is VERY awesome, and at that price how could it NOT attract more switchers??

Anyone have any thoughts on if this would be a decent media center solution to hook up to a TV? Its small and affordable and would look great on top of my cable box! :D

Booga

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2002
look at the options

With optional wireless and optional s-video/composite out for the video port, you can see where they're going with this thing...

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
rogerw said:
just trying to find out if i can add extra ram myself w/o destroying it and then its time to hit the plastic - possibly

Without destroying it? Quite possible.

But the specs mentioned that RAM had to be added by an authorized dealer.

schatten

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH, USA
Power brick?

I haven't seen any pics of the power supply for this thing. Hopefully it's just the familiar one we've see for the iBooks & PowerBooks, not that mnster from the Cube.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
OMG! All I can say is *wow*. I wasn't in the market for a new desktop mac until my AppleCare runs out in May on my iMac G4. But, I purchased one anyway. I mean c'on for 6x the cost of iLife '05 you can have a new "fairly fast" G4 Mac. I'm super excited!

karlb

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2004
Reading, UK
Smashing

Hot damn, what a lovely design, and a great price too.

I dont need one, I have nothing I can think of using it for, I have no space on my desk... sod it, I'll buy two! :D

Well, when the apple site calms down a bit, the uk store is maxed out busy.

stevesien

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Okinawa
Mini Mac, 32 MB graphics card WTF

What are they thinking, this thing looks great but can't chose a better graphics card?? this is a 5 yr old card, barely enough to run OSX. Forget any games, forget Garageband. With the also outdated G4.
You can internet and word process, maybe a little Iphoto.

Too bad it puts Apple right back to underpowered TOY status.

Steve

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Well, count me among the switchers. I just pulled the trigger (took about a million firefox attempts to get all the way through the checkout process so I think I'm not alone!) Here's my config:

Mac mini 1.42GHz
Part Number: Z0B8
Accessory kit
Internal Bluetooth + AirPort Extreme Card
80GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive
56K v.92 Modem
512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
Mac OS X - U.S. English
Estimated ship: Deliver by Jan 22nd
Delivered within 5 business days after shipping

I really wanted to get the gig of RAM but it was like $300+ more than the 512 upgrade so I'll have to make due. Should be no problem for my usage I'd think (and hope...)

TM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.