PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Protector for new 13" MacBook Air?

jw6961
Nov 5, 2010, 11:45 PM
Has anyone found a keyboard protector that works with the new 13" MacBook Air?

I know that Marware makes them for the earlier version, but I don't know if it will work with the newer MAcbook Airs.

LouieSamman
Nov 5, 2010, 11:49 PM
Keyboard Protector?

Don't be OCD about it

Nothing ever happens to the keyboard.

Worry more of the outside of the MacBook Air.

Over Achiever
Nov 6, 2010, 08:59 AM
That's not a very nice comment. Keyboard protectors are nice in case of spillage, and in my case the transfer of oil from the keys to the screen. After years of use on a laptop, it can be unsightly. User preference.

I believe most keyboard protectors if they fit originally will fit on the MBA if they are the cloth type. If they are the molded keys type, it may not fit due to the addition of the power key to the right of the eject button.

LouieSamman
Nov 6, 2010, 10:24 AM
That's not a very nice comment. Keyboard protectors are nice in case of spillage, and in my case the transfer of oil from the keys to the screen. After years of use on a laptop, it can be unsightly. User preference.

I believe most keyboard protectors if they fit originally will fit on the MBA if they are the cloth type. If they are the molded keys type, it may not fit due to the addition of the power key to the right of the eject button.

I just see it the same way as putting plastic over your furniture to protect it over long use.

It's just too much protection and overly OCD.

I can understand the reasoning he wants to do it though.

Cases and screen protectors can be very useful but to protect the keyboard is going to another level.

omgitscro
Nov 6, 2010, 12:17 PM
There is no addition of a power button. The keyboard backlight buttons are gone, and everything to the right is shifted over one to make room. F7 (rewind) is now F6, F8 (pause) is now F7, etc. That's why there is only one blank key (F5), instead of two (F5+F6). All keyboard protectors for the MacBook [Pro] line will work for the 13" MBA.

robby818
Nov 6, 2010, 07:07 PM
There is no addition of a power button. The keyboard backlight buttons are gone, and everything to the right is shifted over one to make room. F7 (rewind) is now F6, F8 (pause) is now F7, etc. That's why there is only one blank key (F5), instead of two (F5+F6). All keyboard protectors for the MacBook [Pro] line will work for the 13" MBA.

I have the moshi brand protector for my MBP 13" and it will not fit the Air 13". The problem is not the keys but the area surrounding the keyboard. On the MBP, the dished out part around the keyboard is larger than the MBA.

Hellishness
Nov 6, 2010, 07:53 PM
Keyboard Protector?

Don't be OCD about it

Nothing ever happens to the keyboard.

Worry more of the outside of the MacBook Air.

Are you kidding me??
The keys will get shiny with use if you don't use a protector no matter what. You can take care of it and not scratch the outside, but you will always wear out the keys (unless you use an external keyboard, of course)...although I don't have a protector since I kinda like the keys naked and it's probably better for ventilation.

rudy44
Jan 14, 2011, 12:24 PM
I have the moshi brand protector for my MBP 13" and it will not fit the Air 13". The problem is not the keys but the area surrounding the keyboard. On the MBP, the dished out part around the keyboard is larger than the MBA.

they have a revised version out. the edges are trimmed and the function keys fit perfect. im sure you can email customer service and they'll gladly send you a replacement if you send yours in first.

drs321
Jan 21, 2011, 11:43 PM
I just see it the same way as putting plastic over your furniture to protect it over long use.

It's just too much protection and overly OCD.

I can understand the reasoning he wants to do it though.

Cases and screen protectors can be very useful but to protect the keyboard is going to another level.

Unfortunately, you are wrong. I just wrote a check to Apple for $775 for coffee spill on the keyboard. I always heard of this happening in offices but never thought it'd happen to me. It did. Now it appears there are 775 reasons why "overprotection" isn't a bad idea.

thatin
Aug 10, 2011, 11:30 AM
be alert, I killed my macbook just by dropping a cup of water into it :))
I wished I was using the keyboard protector at that time :(

VMMan
Aug 10, 2011, 12:02 PM
I use the Moshi keyboard protectors on my MBP and MBA.

I think they're okay and I've gotten used to them. You still notice the extra pressure you have to exert to depress each key. The alternative is to use the cheaper silicone ones, but I am not too fond of those.