Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
I was very impressed with the smaller 11.6" model I checked out in the store so I ordered a BTO 1.6GHz/4GB/128GB 11.6" model from Apple.

If, after playing with it for a few days, I decide I really don't like it (for example, if I decide I miss the backlit keyboard too much) do I have any options to return it? Could I pay a restocking fee if I returned it to an Apple Store even though I didn't buy it there (or am I stuck with it)?

What are my options?

Thanks!

Last edited:
T

The Toddfather

You have 14 days to return it with a 10% restocking fee. I purchased the maxed out 11 online and bought a stock 11 while I was waiting for it to come in. I took it back fully expecting to pay the fee, but the rep recognized me as being a frequent customer and didn't charge me, so you might get lucky.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
You have 14 days to return it with a 10% restocking fee. I purchased the maxed out 11 online and bought a stock 11 while I was waiting for it to come in. I took it back fully expecting to pay the fee, but the rep recognized me as being a frequent customer and didn't charge me, so you might get lucky.

But you returned the one that you bought in the Apple Store, correct? I want to know if I can return a BTO model that I ordered online.

Christmas is coming up ... another option ... gift it.

And you wish I was one of your relatives? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
But you returned the one that you bought in the Apple Store, correct? I want to know if I can return a BTO model that I ordered online.

As far as I know BTO from the online store are not returnable. However since they are selling the same config in the stores maybe there would be a way.

I think you will like it. I picked up the same config yesterday. It might not be the fastest, but it's certainly the most fun Mac I've used in a very long time.

teski

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
As far as I know BTO from the online store are not returnable.

That's not true. You can still return them.

Quite simply, rather than a forum, for these things, it's usually best to consult Apple's website to see what they have to say...

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund?mco=MTkyMTQ2NDk

Note the list for things that are not returnable...CTO items are not in that list:

Items that cannot be returned include:

1. Opened memory
2. Opened software*
3. Electronic Software Downloads
4. Personalized iPods
5. Software Up-to-Date Program Products (software upgrades)
6. Apple Gift Cards
7. Apple Gift Packaging (origami style gift box with ribbon and greeting card)
8. Apple Developer Connection Products (Membership and Technical Support)

You can return your CTO machine for a restocking fee.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I could be wrong about CTO. I haven't ordered one that way in several years. I know when I did that CTO was not returnable. But that could have changed.

Anyway, don't worry, you will probably love it! :D

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Never a good idea to buy a $1000 item not knowing if you're going to like it. Take a day or two to make the right decision first and you won't have to "regret" anything.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Never a good idea to buy a $1000 item not knowing if you're going to like it. Take a day or two to make the right decision first and you won't have to "regret" anything.

Agreed!

You might even LOVE it too!

I loved it in the store (all three times) and I have heard so many owners owners give it high praise...I do expect to love it.

(but I do like to have a backup plan if there is something unexpected...)

pscraig

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
I returned a BTO Macbook Pro a couple of years ago, and had to ship it back to Apple-they would not take it back at an Apple Store. Other than that it was straightforward.

And you'll love your MBA 11.6-mine is amazing. I already sold my iPad and the 15" MBP isn't getting much use anymore.

spacecadet610

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
I ordered a CTO 11" online

Was allowed to return it over the phone. Was sent a shipping label. I was told that I couldn't return it at the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.