PDA

View Full Version : Why No I3 Processor?

TXCraig
Nov 6, 2010, 12:05 PM
Why do you think Apple did not use the I3 processor in the new Air? Cost? I think it uses less power and is faster the much older Core 2 duo. I have not been able to find any information on it.

mrkramer
Nov 6, 2010, 12:11 PM
Probably because they don't want to use intel integrated graphics and there's no space for a dedicated card. So they are left with the option of upgrading the CPU and downgrading the GPU or keeping the Nvidia chipset that has a better GPU but can't support anything above the Core 2 Duo

Durious
Nov 6, 2010, 12:12 PM
Why do you think Apple did not use the I3 processor in the new Air? Cost? I think it uses less power and is faster the much older Core 2 duo. I have not been able to find any information on it.

Cause we'd be stuck with intel integrated GPU which would overall produce a less powerful machine as the 320M is significantly better.

Hellhammer
Nov 6, 2010, 12:13 PM
There was no i3 suitable for MBA when MBA was released. There are some i5s and i7s that fit in MBA but since 3rd party IGP cannot be used with iX CPUs due to licensing issues, you would be stuck with Intel IGP which isn't exactly amazing.

Besides, MBA isn't targeted at power hungry users. SSD makes bigger difference for average Joe than any CPU in the world does.

darkserith
Nov 6, 2010, 12:38 PM
iX's CPU's cannot be used with 3rd party GPU's?

*Cough cough* 15" + 17" inch MBP's use iX's CPUs with nvidia 330m...

Hellhammer
Nov 6, 2010, 12:39 PM

330M is not an IGP

TXCraig
Nov 6, 2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks all... it was really puzzling me!

Durious
Nov 6, 2010, 01:39 PM

330m is not an IGP

ntrigue
Nov 6, 2010, 02:25 PM
Next revision is Sandy Bridge then with Intel graphics?

Lifequest
Nov 6, 2010, 04:40 PM

*Cough cough* Macrumors newbie.

rkahl
Nov 6, 2010, 05:07 PM
i3's just came out calm down. I'm sure it will take time to custom fit the ix Processor.

TXCraig
Nov 6, 2010, 08:22 PM
i3's just came out calm down. I'm sure it will take time to custom fit the ix Processor.

The i3 was released a year ago in January... it was not just released... The core 2 duo has been out since 2006 :mad:

1500.00 bucks for a machine with a 4 year old proc?

Corndog5595
Nov 6, 2010, 08:25 PM
The i3 was released a year ago in January... it was not just released... The core 2 duo has been out since 2006 :mad:

The processor isn't 4 years old.

MBP's have been made since, what, 2006? That doesn't make new MacBook Pros 4 years old.

pfjellman
Nov 6, 2010, 08:31 PM

I'd rather have a slightly slower proc and a much better GPU, personally. processor isn't everything. and if you're really that worried about it, then you obviously have a need for a faster proc, in which the MBA simply isn't for you.

macbook123
Nov 6, 2010, 08:34 PM

330M is not an IGP

330m is not an IGP

*Cough cough* Macrumors newbie.

It seems to me the obvious question hasn't been answered: Why can't the MBA have integrated AS WELL AS discrete GPU, i.e. for example i7 CPU plus 330m or 320 m like the Sony Vaio Z?

CaoCao
Nov 6, 2010, 08:41 PM

There are no iX processors that will work for the MBA 11 (MBA 11 uses a 10W TDP CPU, iX minimum is 18W TDP)

For the MBA 13 which uses a 17 W CPU (@1.86 or 2.13GHz) the best match is the i7-680UM which operates at a whooping 1.46 GHz for 18W,

Chundles
Nov 6, 2010, 08:44 PM
It seems to me the obvious question hasn't been answered: Why can't the MBA have integrated AS WELL AS discrete GPU, i.e. for example i7 CPU plus 330m or 320 m like the Sony Vaio Z?

Just looked those up, wow they're expensive. A$3599 whereas the MBA tops out at A$1949.

TMRaven
Nov 6, 2010, 08:51 PM

You need only to take a look at the logic boards for both the macbook air/macbook pro 13 inch and 15/17 inch macbook pros. Having a chip with integrated graphics as well as discrete graphics requires 3 separate chips soldered on to the logic board. The core2duo plus 320m only requires 2.

330M is not an IGP

ja12ke
Nov 6, 2010, 08:55 PM
Just looked those up, wow they're expensive. A$3599 whereas the MBA tops out at A$1949.

The Z is $1,899.00 ($2199 for 256gb ssd)...

i5 460m
Auto/Manual switchable Nvidia GT 330m / intel intergrated graphics
1600x900 matte screen
Carbon fiber/Aluminum chassis
128gb raid 0 ssd
DVD Drive
3.03 lbs
GB ethernet
Smaller footprint/ (but thicker compared to MBA 13.3)

macbook123
Nov 6, 2010, 08:58 PM

That's incorrect. $2149 for the i7. Source: Sony website.

jnpy!$4g3cwk
Nov 6, 2010, 08:59 PM

Look at the benchmarks. i3 isn't impressive, and the IGP isn't either, so, the C2D + discrete graphics is a good trade.

Chundles
Nov 6, 2010, 09:02 PM

Sony Website (http://www.sony.com.au/productcategory/it-pc-series-z)

Shows A$3599 for i5, A$4099 for super duper quad SSD i7.

surroundfan
Nov 6, 2010, 09:03 PM
In addition to licensing issues, I thought the current generation Intel integrated graphics don't support OpenCL which would make for a big performance hit. (Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong on that score)

I think the first generation of Intel integrated graphics with OpenCL support will be those in Sandy Bridge, which may lead to Apple adopting Intel integrated graphics (and the more modern processors that accompany them) at that time...

spinnerlys
Nov 6, 2010, 09:04 PM
Look at the benchmarks. i3 isn't impressive, and the IGP isn't either, so, the C2D + discrete graphics is a good trade.

The GPU in the current MBA and 13" MB/P models is integrated (into the Nvidia chipset - which Intel does not allow with its iX CPUs, thus the C2D in the consumer models) and not discrete. Only the 15" and 17" MBP have discrete GPUs.

surroundfan
Nov 6, 2010, 09:05 PM

Errrr... The United States is not the only country in the world that uses a currency called a 'dollar', you know...

gwsat
Nov 6, 2010, 09:23 PM
You need only to take a look at the logic boards for both the macbook air/macbook pro 13 inch and 15/17 inch macbook pros. Having a chip with integrated graphics as well as discrete graphics requires 3 separate chips soldered on to the logic board. The core2duo plus 320m only requires 2.
Why is it that so many of those who are whining about Apple's use of C2D processors in its 13 inch Macbooks instead of one of the i series processors seem not to understand three important facts: First, the GPU built in to the i series chips is woefully inferior to the NVIDIA lineup of GPUs. Second, Intel has taken the position that use of another manufacturer's integrated GPU, such as the NVIDIA 320, would be a violation of Intel's licensing agreement governing the use of i Series chips. Third, although a discrete GPU, such as the NVIDIA 320, can be used with the i series chips, there is no room for a discrete GPU on the either the 13 inch MBP's or the MBAs' logic boards. There, was that so hard?:)

macbook123
Nov 6, 2010, 09:40 PM
Errrr... The United States is not the only country in the world that uses a currency called a 'dollar', you know...

He posted a comparison to the MBA toping out at below $2k. In a currency with a lower value of the dollar compared to US$ it wouldn't top out at below $2k.

sushi
Nov 6, 2010, 09:54 PM
Besides, MBA isn't targeted at power hungry users. SSD makes bigger difference for average Joe than any CPU in the world does.
Definitely with today's technology.

Trying out the MBA 11, I was surprised how responsive it is for common type tasks. Switching to the newer form factor SSD was a good idea.

Parrotlet
Nov 6, 2010, 10:06 PM
I don't really care about processors or raw horsepower. I do HD video streaming, word processing etc....... I ussualy go for the lowest end processor when buying a mac since it suits my needs. I see many people getting a macbook pro for example and using maybe only 5 percent of its power

CaoCao
Nov 6, 2010, 10:48 PM
The Z is $1,899.00 ($2199 for 256gb ssd)...

i5 460m
Auto/Manual switchable Nvidia GT 330m / intel intergrated graphics
1600x900 matte screen
Carbon fiber/Aluminum chassis
128gb raid 0 ssd
DVD Drive
3.03 lbs
GB ethernet
Smaller footprint/ (but thicker compared to MBA 13.3)

The VAIO Z is a master piece

And only Sony can achieve it
Vaio Z teardown
http://www.blogcdn.com/chinese.engadget.com/media/2010/03/img_1522_vaioz.jpg
On the far right is a "quad" SSD that has four chunks in Raid 0, look at the size, this capitalizes on Sony being an SSD maker, plus not user replacable

http://www.blogcdn.com/chinese.engadget.com/media/2010/03/img_1494_vaioz.jpg
new fan on right, very creative

http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/scaled.IMG_1042.jpg

is it me or does that top case look remarkably similar to Apple with a hint of fugly?

http://www.blogcdn.com/chinese.engadget.com/media/2010/03/img_1513_vaioz.jpg
OMG look at optical drive!

macbook123, the A$ is actually worth slightly more than the USD

macbook123
Nov 6, 2010, 11:11 PM

I know, but what is your point? :cool:

I know, but Chundles was quoting a comparison between the Air and the Vaio Z, and the Air price he quoted was comparable to the price in US$.

From his follow-up post it seems that Sony is pricing its laptops in Australia higher compared to the US, while Apple is keeping them at the same level as in the US. In the US the Vaio Z is hardly more expensive than the Air with similar specs except for the vastly faster processor and graphics card. I guess in that light the Australia price difference makes more sense. You get almost twice the speed for almost twice the price with the Sony.

ja12ke
Nov 7, 2010, 01:03 AM
[QUOTE=CaoCao;11377169]The VAIO Z is a master piece

Yes it is...I have one from work and I just ordered a MBA 13 with 4gb of ram.

BTW, the quad raid drives are made by samsung i believe. You can replace the drives on Z...There's a thread on NBR on how to do it. You can get 1.8 SSD but have to take it out of the casing in order to make it fit! Anyway, the Z is one fine machine...My only gripe is that the damn palmrest is a little too small...I tried out the MBA 13 at the store and I find it easier to type on compared to my Z.

CaoCao
Nov 7, 2010, 01:05 AM
I know, but Chundles was quoting a comparison between the Air and the Vaio Z, and the Air price he quoted was comparable to the price in US$.

From his follow-up post it seems that Sony is pricing its laptops in Australia higher compared to the US, while Apple is keeping them at the same level as in the US. In the US the Vaio Z is hardly more expensive than the Air with similar specs except for the vastly faster processor and graphics card. I guess in that light the Australia price difference makes more sense. You get almost twice the speed for almost twice the price with the Sony.
Sony has crappy pricing in Australia, Apple doesn't, as an Aussie he can and should point that out. There you get almost 50% more power for over twice the price!

From experience VAIO Zs turn to **** over time, mine can't do anything difficult for more than five minutes without shutting itself down

Chundles
Nov 7, 2010, 01:14 AM
Yup, that was my point. The Vaio is faster, but much more expensive. It might not be THAT much more expensive in the US but those prices don't mean anything to me.

Hellhammer
Nov 7, 2010, 03:06 AM

+GDDR chips since discrete GPU requires its own memory

Dammit Cubs
Nov 7, 2010, 04:09 AM
I3 = apple must use intel's crap graphics card. You obviously can see that having a good graphics card is helping in some area.

In my opinion, i would rather have a C2D and a good graphics card then a i3 and grap graphics. It's more well rounded.

Also, apple knows that if they change to i3, they have to use new chipsets. From a cost standpoint, this was the move they wanted to do. If they launch a i3 + nvidia card. I think i would sell my mba for it.

maflynn
Nov 7, 2010, 05:56 AM
Personally, I'd want an i3 processor and a slower GPU. For my needs and I suspect for many people, a faster processor will benefit more.

rkahl
Nov 7, 2010, 06:46 AM

Wow, it's been out for 11 months, geez that's a long time! Did you see what Apple and Intel had to do to get the c2d to fit into the MBA? Customizing always takes longer. If you don't believe just order an MBA with 4gb of ram instead of 2gb of ram and watch your CTO in China.

maflynn
Nov 7, 2010, 07:36 AM
Wow, it's been out for 11 months, geez that's a long time! Did you see what Apple and Intel had to do to get the c2d to fit into the MBA? Customizing always takes longer. If you don't believe just order an MBA with 4gb of ram instead of 2gb of ram and watch your CTO in China.

The current MBAs are using stock processors not customized ones and there are other laptop makers out there with 11" laptops with a core i7.

The only reason apple went with an ancient cpu (and in computer terms it is ancient), is because they could use a different (and faster) GPU

Fraaaa
Nov 7, 2010, 08:17 AM
The VAIO Z is a master piece

If only Sony would make the non optical drive version with the SSD that would be awesome.

KPOM
Nov 7, 2010, 11:09 AM

One word: Space.

There's no reason, IMO, why the 13" MacBook Pro shouldn't have an i5 with a discrete GPU, and I suspect that the the next refresh (likely in January or February) will see it upgraded. However, the MacBook Air is about thinness, so there isn't enough room.

The Intel GPUs don't perform very well and don't support OpenCL, which was one of the major improvements in Snow Leopard intended to let the GPU handle certain tasks instead of the CPU. Thus, if Apple went with the current i3 or i5, then they would be putting in a faster, more efficient CPU, but also giving it more work to do, thus negating its benefits. They would also be using a slower GPU.

Sandy Bridge, which is Intel's next chipset, does have a better GPU. It operates at approximately the same speed as the nVidia 9400m.

csixty4
Nov 7, 2010, 11:27 AM

I'm surprised nobody's linked to Ars Technica's article on Why Apple saddled the MacBook Air with "gimped" CPUs (http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/10/why-apple-saddled-the-macbook-air-with-gimped-cpus.ars).

magbarn
Nov 7, 2010, 01:20 PM
I'm surprised nobody's linked to Ars Technica's article on Why Apple saddled the MacBook Air with "gimped" CPUs (http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/10/why-apple-saddled-the-macbook-air-with-gimped-cpus.ars).

One reason why MBA/Mini/MBP 13 are "gimped": INTEL
More likely we'd be on Arrandale MBA's with a Nvidia southbridge if Greedy-ass intel allowed Nvidia to cross-license.

gwsat
Nov 7, 2010, 02:16 PM
One word: Space.
Exactly. The Sony Vaio Z is a portly 1.3 inches thick (http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/sony-vaio-z-series/4507-3121_7-33976156.html?tag=specs), compared to the MBA whose width varies between .11 and .68 of an inch (http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html), which works out to an average thickness of less than .5 of an inch. That simply didn't leave any room for a discrete GPU.

CaoCao
Nov 7, 2010, 02:42 PM
Exactly. The Sony Vaio Z is a portly 1.3 inches thick (http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/sony-vaio-z-series/4507-3121_7-33976156.html?tag=specs), compared to the MBA whose width varies between .11 and .68 of an inch (http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html), which works out to an average thickness of less than .5 of an inch. That simply didn't leave any room for a discrete GPU.

:eek: That's thicker than a MBP 17"!

TMRaven
Nov 7, 2010, 02:47 PM
It's not the thickness, its' the surface area. Apple notebooks are 3/4ths battery in terms of surface area. No other notebook is like that.

CaoCao
Nov 7, 2010, 03:02 PM
It's not the thickness, its' the surface area. Apple notebooks are 3/4ths battery in terms of surface area. No other notebook is like that.

:confused: What are you trying to say?

macbook123
Nov 7, 2010, 03:10 PM
:confused: What are you trying to say?

Perhaps confusing surface area with volume ;)

CaoCao
Nov 7, 2010, 03:23 PM
Perhaps confusing surface area with volume ;)

He's wrong in both cases

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/XBUaQ6NksVJQd5Fw.medium
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/bWQ54QHxVEYpcSEB.medium
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/sxKMnVcUksMysUGM.medium

Tom8
Nov 7, 2010, 03:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Anybody expect to see an iX processor in the White MacBook/Pro 13" when the next refresh hit?
Or just another speed bump for the C2D with increased battery?

maflynn
Nov 7, 2010, 03:42 PM

No need, There's plenty of posts here, including mine that was saying the same thing. They're using a C2D, because they can have the nvidia gpu, as opposed to being forced to use the intel integrated gpu

TMRaven
Nov 7, 2010, 03:42 PM
No, I meant surface area. And no, I'm not wrong in both instances, you've just conveniently linked pictures of either a 15 or 17 inch macbook pro-- both which HAVE the necessary surface area to incorporate both nehalem processors and discrete graphics.

However, I will provide two pics: the macbook air and the 13 inch macbook pro, both of which do not have adequate surface area on their logic boards for more components.

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/pynKjehNYLYypowI.huge
Is the insides of the macbook pro. You can clearly see they don't have the adequate room for 3 separate chips+vram chips on that logic board.

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/FkpKKrqQlYsgNBq6.huge
Is the insides of the 13 inch macboo pro. The logicboard is considerably smaller than the logic board of the 15-17 inch.

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/XaPYhlwqukefDI4j.huge
Here's a way better view of the 13 inch macbook pro's logic board. You can see it clearly does not have adequate surface area for more chips.

bniu
Nov 7, 2010, 04:40 PM

it may be 4 years old, but it's still one fast cookie. Typing documents isn't getting any faster, most apps still run great on the Core 2 Duo. CPU useful lifespans are getting longer these days.

bniu
Nov 7, 2010, 04:43 PM
No, I meant surface area. And no, I'm not wrong in both instances, you've just conveniently linked pictures of either a 15 or 17 inch macbook pro-- both which HAVE the necessary surface area to incorporate both nehalem processors and discrete graphics.

However, I will provide two pics: the macbook air and the 13 inch macbook pro, both of which do not have adequate surface area on their logic boards for more components.

Is the insides of the macbook pro. You can clearly see they don't have the adequate room for 3 separate chips+vram chips on that logic board.

Is the insides of the 13 inch macboo pro. The logicboard is considerably smaller than the logic board of the 15-17 inch.

Here's a way better view of the 13 inch macbook pro's logic board. You can see it clearly does not have adequate surface area for more chips.

the biggest offender there is the optical drive. Get rid of that thing and you can fit a discrete GPU plus move the HDD/SSD into the leftover space. Then, extend the battery into the space vacated by the HDD and you've got a far better machine. I can't wait for the day optical drives get killed off...

CaoCao
Nov 7, 2010, 05:04 PM

You said 3/4 of it, the MBP 13" battery is less than 1/3 battery yes yes you are wrong, however the battery is a significant amount space, and so is the ODD.

The miscommunication was people were thinking you were talking about the whole thing not just the logic board

The MBA is mostly battery, if they made it uniformly .68 inches they would easily have enough space, but that isn't Apple's way.

The MBP 13 does not have enough space for three chips +VRAM that is agreed as well as the logic board being much smaller

Top image was the Unibody Aluminum MacBook, next was the MBP 15" then MBP 17"

KPOM
Nov 8, 2010, 08:37 AM

I liked things better when QE2 was a luxury cruise liner and not our economic strategy. :(

fyrefly
Nov 8, 2010, 11:11 AM
Enough people have pointed out why the MBA doesn't have an iX processor (Intel's greedy Lawsuit, Intel's crappy IGP, Physical Space, and TDP reasons being among the many others).

But, for those that have said the C2D is a 4-year-old processor, you're not correct, at least not for the specific chips that are in the MBA's.

The SL9600 2.13Ghz processor (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37262) was launched in Early 2009. So it's not even 2 years old.

And for those of you who want an i3 processor -- the only one that *might* fit in with the MBAs thermals is the i3-330UM (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=49021) - and 18W TDP and Integrated Graphics. And how fast does that i3 processor run? Oh yeah: 1.2Ghz. And no turbo boost. Yuck.

Besides, at that 18W thermal threshold, you can get the i7-640UM which runs at 1.42Ghz (but Turbo Boosts up to 2.53Ghz) -- but you're still stuck with Intel's crummy IGP.

Of course the real problem is that neither of those i3/i7 chips and their supporting chipsets will fit on the MBA's tiny logic board.

Hellhammer
Nov 8, 2010, 11:32 AM
And for those of you who want an i3 processor -- the only one that *might* fit in with the MBAs thermals is the i3-330UM (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=49021) - and 18W TDP and Integrated Graphics. And how fast does that i3 processor run? Oh yeah: 1.2Ghz. And no turbo boost. Yuck.

i7-6x0LM would fit fine too if the Intel IGP was used. Those top out at 2.26GHz and go up to 3.06GHz with Turbo.

runnin17
Nov 8, 2010, 11:32 AM
So concensus is that this thread should be closed....

Good, b/c I was getting tired of reading all the misinformed noob comments.

maflynn
Nov 8, 2010, 11:57 AM
But, for those that have said the C2D is a 4-year-old processor, you're not correct, at least not for the specific chips that are in the MBA's.

The SL9600 2.13Ghz processor (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37262) was launched in Early 2009. So it's not even 2 years old.

The architecture from which the CPU is derived from is for all intents purposes 4 years old. The performance gains that we see in the Core-i5 (and core-i3?) are not present. So technically you are correct, its a newer chip, but one based one an older design

KPOM
Nov 8, 2010, 12:21 PM
The architecture from which the CPU is derived from is for all intents purposes 4 years old. The performance gains that we see in the Core-i5 (and core-i3?) are not present. So technically you are correct, its a newer chip, but one based one an older design

Exactly. The main changes to the Core 2 Duo through the years have been to reduce the size of the die and the power requirements. Apple had MacBooks with 2.16GHz Core 2 Duos in early 2007. There isn't that much difference between that processor and the one in the "Ultimate 13".