PDA

View Full Version : What's Missing At Macworld Expo? Can You Spot It?

MacBytes
Jan 11, 2005, 04:39 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: What\'s Missing At Macworld Expo? Can You Spot It? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050111173911)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

tpatricks
Jan 11, 2005, 08:09 PM
Good news all around, though somewhat anti-climatic, no? Thanks, Think Secret.

All the Mac web sites are getting heavy traffic today as people gobble up tidbits of news, reviews, et al.

Our server's doing fine (dual 2.0 G5 with Panther Server) though bandwidth has peaked and stayed there. Sorry. It was toys or bandwidth. I chose toys.

No major disappointments. Plenty to look through. Orders are in already. The Mac mini looks stackable, yeah?

That's all for now. I'm heading over to Bill Palmer's place to watch the crow eating contest.

http://www.billpalmer.net/

And you thought some of my opinions were a little off base...

:rolleyes:

shamino
Jan 12, 2005, 08:33 AM
Shame on you, Terra. Reporting the keynote before you actually saw the presentation.

As I'm sure you're now aware, Steve did mention the Motorola/iTunes phone, although the extent of the demonstration was just a few slides.

There were a lot of things that the rumor/blog/news sites didn't mention that were (IMO) significant.

For instance, the $500 price tag for the Mac mini does not include keyboard or mouse. That's all well and good, but it came as quite a surprise to me, because I found out about it only after browsing the Apple Store web site (and later found it in the fine print on the product's web page). This was explicitly pointed out by Steve at the keynote, but seems to have been ignored by the people writing about it at the time.

Or that the iPod shuffle has no FireWire interface, so owners of older Macs with USB 1.1 will have very slow file-transfer speeds. (PowerMac users can buy a USB 2.0 PCI card to rectify this, but iMac/eMac/iBook/PowerBook users will be SOL.)

These are rather important points, that were not in any way hidden by the keynote, but would be missed altogether by someone only reading the news reports posted that afternoon.

bousozoku
Jan 12, 2005, 09:27 AM
Shame on you, Terra. Reporting the keynote before you actually saw the presentation.

As I'm sure you're now aware, Steve did mention the Motorola/iTunes phone, although the extent of the demonstration was just a few slides.

There were a lot of things that the rumor/blog/news sites didn't mention that were (IMO) significant.

For instance, the $500 price tag for the Mac mini does not include keyboard or mouse. That's all well and good, but it came as quite a surprise to me, because I found out about it only after browsing the Apple Store web site (and later found it in the fine print on the product's web page). This was explicitly pointed out by Steve at the keynote, but seems to have been ignored by the people writing about it at the time.

Or that the iPod shuffle has no FireWire interface, so owners of older Macs with USB 1.1 will have very slow file-transfer speeds. (PowerMac users can buy a USB 2.0 PCI card to rectify this, but iMac/eMac/iBook/PowerBook users will be SOL.)

These are rather important points, that were not in any way hidden by the keynote, but would be missed altogether by someone only reading the news reports posted that afternoon.

I'm not sure where you were looking but BYOKDM or some such was displayed various places indicating Bring Your Own Keyboard, Display, and Mouse for the Mac mini, even on the various news sites. :)

If the iPod shuffle works with USB 1.1, it will be different than the others since they state that the require USB 2.0. Obviously, transferring 240 songs is a whole lot speedier than 10,000 anyway.

tpatricks:

Wow. I actually saw the article this time. I didn't have to stop the browser minutes later.

Yes, things were missing but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Mac users shouldn't be too elated. Soon enough, we'll see the additional pieces and people will be happy all year round.

wdlove
Jan 12, 2005, 01:48 PM
I surprised that the article didn't mention the needed update for the PowerBook. Probably wasn't going to be a G5, but there should have been a speed boost and video card upgrade at least.