PDA

View Full Version : local oracle on an mba - experiences or educated guesses ?!

cantona2k
Nov 6, 2010, 02:18 PM
hi,
making the move from windows to mac (mba) i have the following challenge:

my company develops php applications running on oracle databases.
for sales reasons, i have to have the systems locally installed in case i dont have web access during presentations sessions.

my question is: does anyone have experiences with oracle 10g being locally installed on an mba or comparable powered mac with respect to performance?

i have our systems installed locally on a 2ghz win 7 machine with ssd, running smooth, so i guess the mba13 should be great for this as well !!
anyway as i have to return my existing mba13 due to display reasons (other thread) i also have my eyes on an mba 11...

would the 1.6 ghz be sufficient??

any input on this or similar experiences e.g. from developers would be GREATLY appreciated...

cheers,

chris

pfjellman
Nov 6, 2010, 03:47 PM
oracle 10g has been released natively for snow leopard. installation instructions and more information can be found at this link:

http://www.pythian.com/news/1937/quick-install-guide-for-oracle-10g-release-2-on-mac-os-x-leopard-intel/

the processing power really depends on your database size. i develop a few oracle databases here and there and noticed an increase in loading time on my MBA 13" 1.86GHz from my Mac Pro, which is to be expected. The lag is by no means a deal breaker (it's definitely there though), but I imagine the 11" with the slower processor would fair even worse.

cantona2k
Nov 6, 2010, 03:51 PM
thanks a lot for the quick response and links !!
can you give me idea about database sizes?

we ususally handle 8ish GB in tablespace in a typical installation... too harsh from your experience?

thanks!!

Bluemeanie1976
Nov 6, 2010, 03:55 PM
Ive used skype as my main phone line without any issues at all. This is on a 11.6 with 1.4, 4gb, and 128 ssd.

pfjellman
Nov 6, 2010, 05:40 PM
Ive used skype as my main phone line without any issues at all. This is on a 11.6 with 1.4, 4gb, and 128 ssd.

^ wrong post? ^

i've tested 5GB with no problems, just a bit of initial loading time. 8GB should be okay, but parsing table records on these larger databases is a decent strain on the CPU. the ssd will help tremendously, although my mac pro has an ssd boot drive as well and i did notice the performance hit.

the 13" would probably serve you better, unless portability is really a huge concern. if you're doing demos, the larger screen will be a plus as well.

that being said, i don't know anything about your needs or what you do, so these are just my observations. =)

ja12ke
Nov 6, 2010, 06:05 PM
thanks a lot for the quick response and links !!
can you give me idea about database sizes?

we ususally handle 8ish GB in tablespace in a typical installation... too harsh from your experience?

thanks!!

What kind of demo do you do with the DB? I recomend a custom installation and create your own database afterwards so you can control the size of the datafiles. Is that 8GB full of table data or does that 8GB include the system, log, temp, and RBS? I wouldn't worry too much about it lagging unless your doing some complex self joins on multi-million table rows. There are MANY granular things that you can do and set, but I wouldn't worry too much about it...never worked on Oracle with Macs before, but make sure you do not setup auto start and also properly size the SGA so you leave enough resources for the other stuff...

drjsway
Nov 6, 2010, 06:32 PM
From your subject line, I thought you went to a fortune teller in your neighborhood to give you predictions on future MBAs.

cantona2k
Nov 7, 2010, 02:23 AM
thanks a lot for all the input, that's exactly what I have been looking for, some experiences from experts with oracle on Mac or oracle in general :-)

of course our it guys will try to do a best possible experts only issue is it will be first time they do it on a Mac...

sorry about the topic title, no native speaker here ;-)