Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uchosen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I have a 2010 Mini with 8GB of RAM on the way and I'd like to hear opinions on how difficult the HD upgrade process is. I'm looking to put an Intel X-25M SSD inside. The instructions at ifixit.com seem pretty straightforward but it looks like there is very little room for error in some spots.

I'm not shy about opening any Mac or any gadget for that matter. I've upgraded the HD and RAM in all the towers I've owned, upgraded the HD and optical drive in a PowerBook G4 12" and done the Optibay swap with RAID setup in the older (non-unibody) 15" MBP. More recently, I replaced the glass screen on my shattered HTC Evo 4G.

TIA! :)

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
did you ever do an older mac mini? the older mac mini open the case was hard until you learned. but the hdd sat in a solid spot and the hdd connected directly to a board. in the 2010 mini the cable is weak it can break. you need good eyes. good hands ,good light good tools.

if you are nervous here is a link for a replacement cable. 19 bucks. you could order it ahead of time just in case.

http://www.applecomponents.com/item...nsor-and/0000004780?pn=1&cmp=0167&per_page=30

uchosen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Thanks for the link and the input.

No, I never did an older Mini. I got a quote of $135 at my local Apple independent shop. The price isn't too unreasonable, I was just looking to avoid the expense if I could just do it myself.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
The cable does break often (may 1 of 10 or 1 of 15),

but if you take your time it can be done. I always give the replacement link for 19 bucks it is a good security blanket.

vert18

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2010
Good luck !

I am looking for a video of the 10 mini server guts.

Apple should just make the drives hotswappable !!
That would kick all arse in it's form factor.

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
Wasn't too hard. I watched this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZy0wPniqqo&feature=youtube_gdata_player Part that made me most nervous was pulling thermal sensor off the hard drive. But it came off easy enough and attached to the new hard drive simply.

Is that the video where the guy says something like "...and if you can't do that then uninstall Life."? LOL

If it is the same video...perhaps I missed it but when sliding the board out of the case I don't recall him saying anything about disconnecting the hdd and optical drive cables before sliding everything out. I tried to slide everything out before noticing those two cables were taught! :eek: So I removed the cables and proceeded with the rest of the surgery. Apparently there was no (immediate?) damage as it booted the cloned Momentus XT without a hiccup. Whew! :D

For me, the hdd sensor was the easy part. However, I did sweat removing the small cable connectors. I read a post where connector got buggered up on the logic board so try to remove the little connectors very, very carefully. Take your time.

Like I said, I may have missed it in the video, but in case not, for Mini's sake please make sure the hdd and superdrive cable are disconnected when sliding the board out of the case. They are the two largest connectors I believe. You don't have to slide the board out very far to get the hdd out; as in the video, 1/2" (12mm) is plenty enough room.

uchosen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Wow, just did the install. I can't believe I was considering paying someone to do it for me. That was waaay easier than I thought it would be :D

nycjdc

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2007
Wow, just did the install. I can't believe I was considering paying someone to do it for me. That was waaay easier than I thought it would be :D

So did you remove the hdd and superdrive cable are disconnected when sliding the logic board out of the case?

Is it easy popping out that logic board that 1/2 inch to get access?

I'm going to be doing this later this week and was wondering if you found any gotchas.

thanks.

uchosen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Nope, no surprises during the take-apart. The instructions at ifixit are spot on I'd say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.