Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeachChair

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hello previous MBP owners. Have any of you gone from 4GB MBPs to the new 2GB 13" MBA? Do you miss the extra memory? Or does the snappiness of the SSD make up for it?

I have an opportunity to get a 13" MBA, but only from a shop. And apparently shops only have 2GB models or the expensive ultimate configuration models.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Going 13" MBP (2.4/4GB) to 11" MBA (1.4/2GB), I never found my MBA sluggish on day-to-day regular use, which include running Win XP via VMware fusion. If you can get the 4GB model, then spend the money to make you feel better. However, I doubt that extra RAM will actually speed up your MBA to a noticeable extent for basic use (web-based apps, watching videos, word processing and other Office apps, light use of photoshop).

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Ditto. Going from a 2.53MBP with 4GB to a 1.86MBA with 2GB, the MBA is, remarkably, significantly faster, even when I have a lot of applications open.

I was concerned with the memory at first, but it seems not to be an issue at all for normal use.

BeachChair

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Ditto. Going from a 2.53MBP with 4GB to a 1.86MBA with 2GB, the MBA is, remarkably, significantly faster, even when I have a lot of applications open.

I was concerned with the memory at first, but it seems not to be an issue at all for normal use.

I like what I hear. It does match my experience from the limited stress test I put the store models through.

I guess depending on swap files is no longer such a bad thing because SSDs are so fast.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US

Same here. The macbook air is remarkably faster then my old macbook pro. The biggest difference is in gaming, the 320m makes the macbook air 10 times better then the pro easily!

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
I originally wanted the 4GB version but wanted to purchase in the retail store more, and they only were stocking 2GB versions. So, after trying it in the store with the apps I normally use, I bought a 2GB 13". That was 1.5 wks ago.

Fast forward to two days ago and an odd hardware test result prompted me to bring it in to the Genius bar, and they decided to swap it for a new one to be safe (turned out it had the same error but that's another thread). Of course, my store is now stocking the top-end 13" with 4GB for $200 more, and for a split second I thought about requesting to pay the difference for the higher spec model.

But honestly, I'm so impressed with the machine as is I couldn't even justify spending the $200...not that I think $200 is a lot for the extra CPU and memory, but because I don't think its worth it to me. When I first got the machine I ran some tests and posted my results in the 2GB vs 4GB dilemma thread. Basically, running CS5 apps, Office 2008 apps, VMWare Fusion with Windows XP, Xcode, Mail, Safari and others all at the same time and this little 2GB Air doesn't skip a beat, nary a beachball in sight. I'll think I'll put the $200 into the Mac Mini HTPC upgrade fund for the future instead...

coochiekuta

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
here and there
Same here. The macbook air is remarkably faster then my old macbook pro. The biggest difference is in gaming, the 320m makes the macbook air 10 times better then the pro easily!

when you say gaming are you speaking of farmsville or whatever that facebook game is called? which model of mbp did you have?

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
13 MBP to 13" Air

So I have a 11" ultimate now LOVE IT and now want to sell my 13" MBP and then get a 13" air, probably 250mb version (as I store a lot of photos). It sounds like this machine will handle just as good if not better than the Pro...Good to know!!

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
when you say gaming are you speaking of farmsville or whatever that facebook game is called? which model of mbp did you have?

When I said gaming I ment Call of Duty modern warfare 2, and bioshock (windows 7). My previous MBP was equipped with the 9400m and lets just say it was less then adequate to play these games, both games had to be on the lowest settings to be playable (30-40FPS). Now with the MBA bioshock can run at the highest settings and can get 30FPS easily. Call of Duty can run at native res. with no shaders or AA and get 40FPS!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.