Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chiamac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
Last week I got the fully loaded 2010 MBA 13" (2.13ghz/4gb/256gb).

It's just perfect, I have no problems with it. My first Mac, will be my only computer.

On a whim, I ran the quick Apple Hardware Test using the included USB install drive (took just a few minutes) and it came up with this:

Alert! Apple Hardware Test has detected an error.
4SNS/1/40000001:IDOR-0.040

2010macbookairhardwaret.jpg

Any ideas on what that means? Hopefully it's a false positive. I'm running the extended test right now, which will take more than an hour. Will report back.

Anyone seeing anything from the hardware test?

chiamac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
The extended test came back with:

"No trouble found."

I ran the quick test again and it came back with:

"No trouble found."

Interesting.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
I had the same message on mine (1.86GHz/256GB/2GB). However, when I ran the extended test I would get a similar message but with the last number a 1 instead of a zero. This was repeatable on mine. It seemed to stop the test and report that error after the RAM test had completed and during the logic board testing. I hadn't experienced any problems with the machine otherwise, and was really just testing out the new machine (nice that the diagnostic is stored on the internal flash drive so you don't need the USB stick to run a test).

Anyway, I took it back to the Apple Store and tried the floor model. It did not give this message. I showed them the message at the Genius Bar and they decided to swap it out.

We open the new unit, test it, and get the same error message! The Geniuses explained that it's a new product and maybe the Apple Hardware Test is giving false positives. They further explained the floor unit's are not identical to the retail units and that could explain why the floor unit did not exhibit the same error. Not wanting to leave the store with a logic board problem, and rather dumbfounded that Apple would ship product that doesn't even pass their own built-in test, I asked to try one more. Another new unit was brought out, and it failed with the same message too. So I took this last unit home.

So, I'm not sure what's going on. Three machines all with the same error message. Since the two machines I've used haven't exhibited problems I'm inclined to believe this is truly just a false positive. Hopefully Apple will come out with a firmware update to resolve this, and I won't have to spend any more time cloning my system, wiping it out, and returning to the Apple Store. It would be nice to have a working Hardware Test that runs to completion in case I do ever have a problem.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I had the same message on mine (1.86GHz/256GB/2GB). However, when I ran the extended test I would get a similar message but with the last number a 1 instead of a zero. This was repeatable on mine. It seemed to stop the test and report that error after the RAM test had completed and during the logic board testing. I hadn't experienced any problems with the machine otherwise, and was really just testing out the new machine (nice that the diagnostic is stored on the internal flash drive so you don't need the USB stick to run a test).

Anyway, I took it back to the Apple Store and tried the floor model. It did not give this message. I showed them the message at the Genius Bar and they decided to swap it out.

We open the new unit, test it, and get the same error message! The Geniuses explained that it's a new product and maybe the Apple Hardware Test is giving false positives. They further explained the floor unit's are not identical to the retail units and that could explain why the floor unit did not exhibit the same error. Not wanting to leave the store with a logic board problem, and rather dumbfounded that Apple would ship product that doesn't even pass their own built-in test, I asked to try one more. Another new unit was brought out, and it failed with the same message too. So I took this last unit home.

So, I'm not sure what's going on. Three machines all with the same error message. Since the two machines I've used haven't exhibited problems I'm inclined to believe this is truly just a false positive. Hopefully Apple will come out with a firmware update to resolve this, and I won't have to spend any more time cloning my system, wiping it out, and returning to the Apple Store. It would be nice to have a working Hardware Test that runs to completion in case I do ever have a problem.

I had the same repeatable error on the same configuration. I swapped it for a 13" ultimate and it doesn't have the error. An 11" ultimate doesn't have error either. It could be a benign error but I don't think it's normal for it to be there.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
actually i did a study on this.. i bet you ran this on without power charge right? then you are less 20% battery? the culprit is the low batt and you should test it with more power.

but it doesnt hold me going to store, i had a creaking sound that is why they replace mine..

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
So let me get this straight....

You have a new MBA that seems to be running great without any discernible issues.

You run a mystery diagnostic that gives a mystery error.

You return it over this?

Wow.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT

You have a new MBA that seems to be running great without any discernible issues.

You return it over this?

Wow.

i return it because the other main issues is the creaking sound (black plastic) it is really annoying and apple genius replicate the problem.. i paid 1200 for this little machine so im expecting a rocksolid product.

the replacement is perfect! no creak or whatever

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008

You return it over this?

Wow.

Apple provides a built-in hardware test that they instruct users to use if they have problems with their machine....not exactly a mystery diagnostic.

Even on a machine with no discernible issues the hardware test issues an error during logic board testing, and ceases any further testing. Either the built-in test is reporting false positives or there is a hardware problem.

Not sure what has you in disbelief. Apple doesn't seem to know why this is occurring either, as they are replacing peoples machines with the error.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I went to the Genius Bar today, but they didn't offer to swap mine. They ran the Apple Hardware test on one of their floor models, and they got the same error. I get the error when I run the test on battery power every time, even if the battery is fully charged. Every time that I run the test with the adapter plugged into the wall socket, the test shows no errors.

I got mine last Friday, so I'm going to use the heck out of it over the next week and a half to see if any problems crop up.

Claudio2010

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
Hi,

My Macbook Air was delivered today, I ran the test and got the same error.
However, when I connected the AC Adapter and ran the test again, no problem was reported. Now I'm doubtful as to whether my Air has a problem or not.
Would the OP care to run the test again with the AC adapter plugged in?

I have also tried running multiple passes of the AHT, connecting and disconnecting the adapter on each pass. The test ALWAYS fails when the adapter is disconnected and passes vice versa.

Regards,
Claudio

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
This is a non issue and has already been reported here and elsewhere that the error message means simply "battery not currently being charged."

It's a sensor error (denoted by the SNS) since the battery sensor can't find the power supply. Plug it in and let it run and you'll see that all is fine.

Last edited:

Claudio2010

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
This is a non issue and has already been reported here and elsewhere that the error message means simply "battery not currently being charged."

Thank you, that's good to know. It would be good if Apple dealt with it a bit better in the hardware test, maybe reporting it as a warning.
I can go back to enjoying this incredible machine I've been waiting for two years now!

Cheers,
Claudio

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.