PDA

View Full Version : VLC player lag?

Theraker007
Nov 7, 2010, 03:28 PM
I have been ripping all my dvds into mp4s so that i could load them onto my ipad but whatever im doing is making itunes tell me it cannot work on the regular video player. So i have been putting them in VLC but the lag has been so bad on the movies that its unwatchable. They run fine on my macbook.

Is anyone else having this problem using vlc player?

Moyank24
Nov 7, 2010, 03:34 PM
I've only used VLC to watch a few movies, but didn't have any problems. I was watching a .AVI file, though. Maybe the issue is with the mp4?

JoeC2k6
Nov 11, 2010, 09:36 AM
same thing happens to me. itunes wont load the videos on my ipad but if i put it into VLC they will play but it is VERY laggy almost to the point where it wont play.

Bernard SG
Nov 11, 2010, 09:44 AM
VLC is very selective so a lousy encoding will play badly.
To transfer DVD's to iOS devices, my preferred procedure is:
- Rip the DVD with MacTheRipper (free),
- Convert and transfer to iTunes using Handbrake (free) or Toast Titanium (pay but really awesome).
No need for VLC in that respect.

Uhm that's on Mac.
On PC it's complicated.

jalpert
Nov 11, 2010, 09:51 AM
It's not any more complicated on the PC. There are thousands of DVD ripping apps available. Also, handbrake is free and available for the PC as well. Am I missing something?

- Convert and transfer to iTunes using Handbrake (free) or Toast Titanium (pay but really awesome).

Uhm that's on Mac.
On PC it's complicated.

Bernard SG
Nov 11, 2010, 09:55 AM
It's not any more complicated on the PC. There are thousands of DVD ripping apps available. Also, handbrake is free and available for the PC as well. Am I missing something?

Visibly I'm the one missing something. I never managed to find a free ripper that bypasses DRM on Windows.
Not that I tried hard, as far as I mainly use Macs.

bdyoung
Nov 11, 2010, 09:58 AM

Uhm that's on Mac.
On PC it's complicated.

Quick question, what version of Mac the Ripper are you using? All I can find is ver 2.66 unless you go through some forums gymnastics... will 2.66 work on just about anything? (Thinking of ripping my DVD library so I can stream to iOS device.)

Bernard SG
Nov 11, 2010, 10:11 AM
Quick question, what version of Mac the Ripper are you using? All I can find is ver 2.66 unless you go through some forums gymnastics... will 2.66 work on just about anything? (Thinking of ripping my DVD library so I can stream to iOS device.)

I use 2.6.6. So far it always worked for me. But I'm not doing that much ripping, so I wouldn't call myself an expert.There's a dedicated forum called "RipDifferent" to learn more.
RipIt also seems to have a good reputation. Never used it though.

bdyoung
Nov 11, 2010, 10:13 AM
I use 2.6.6. So far it always worked for me. But I'm not doing that much ripping, so I wouldn't call myself an expert.There's a dedicated forum called "RipDifferent" to learn more.

Thanks, I'll check out that forum...