Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itryanditry

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
Alright, so I'm looking for some advice.

I love the new Macbook Air, less for the size - more for the performance of basic applications. (iWork, the internet, even some games) That's what I use my laptop for when I use it, just basic stuff.

The Mac laptop I own right now is the 2.4 Ghz Aluminum Unibody Macbook (limited edition) and it's served me great. Besides that weird clicking sound in the superdrive when it starts up (even with the firmware update), it's a great machine. But I crave speed for basic apps. A fast desktop and iOS devices have spoiled me.

So I want my Aluminum Macbook to be faster in opening things.

I tested the new Macbook Air at the Apple Store by opening up the entire apps folder (except for some retarded apps they have in there like a retail concierge or something) and it was beautiful. Flippin' beautiful. But I know that can be attributed mostly to the Flash memory.

Would it make more sense to me to simply buy an SSD and install it as a reasonable facsimile of the Flash memory? Or do you think it would be better to buy the Air? The use of C2D's makes me think. It's more or less the same damn thing. Thoughts?

tl;dr? Read the bold.

itryanditry

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
I appreciate the confirmation, thanks.
With that in mind, does anyone know the best place to buy SSDs for the Macbook? Price is definitely something I'd consider... but performance could make or break it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.