Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2004
Hi guys.Well im a pc user and i think im going to buy the mini mac.first becuase the thing is so :p damn cute.I have a sony monitor with dvi 1" but it wont match the mini.thats a big thing for me.Any one know a good monitor i can get to match the mini.i can sell this monitor and purchase one that matches it.thanks.

Lz0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2002
Melbourne
Adaptor

I'm not sure what a "dvi 1" is but my Mac (and I assume the new Mini Mac) will come with an adaptor for older style monitors. If not one must be available.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
While getting a new monitor just because it matches a computer is a tiny bit silly, the ones that best matches the mini is probably the Apple LCDs.

But those are expensive. Next in line is probably the Samsung LCDs. They're awesome, I have one. Yet next in line are the Dell LCDs. Yeah, I said Dell. Those LCDs are surprisingly nice, especially the 2005FWP...

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2004
Sorry i meant a dvi 17" monitor.Sure its silly but i like to match the cpu with the montor.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Actually, the mini is DVI natively, and needs an adapter to do VGA. So you're cool. Use your current monitor. Paint it white.

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2004
LOL paint it white.Ok i guess its a stupid question :rolleyes: but asthetics is apples biggest plus.

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
If you've got the money, I'd look for an older apple Studio display. That will match very, very nicely, but of course be a little more expensive than run-of-the mill crt's.

Other than that, use your old monitor.

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2004
I saw the apple displays.maybe ill sell this one an add another hundred towards the monitor. or maybe one of those apple crts.the bubble crt

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
nyprospect said:
I saw the apple displays.maybe ill sell this one an add another hundred towards the monitor. or maybe one of those apple crts.the bubble crt

The bubble CRT won't work, even with a DVI-ADC adapter.

Sony has some nice LCD monitors (SDM-HS line) with white frames (they also came in black and dark gray). They have VGA inputs.

SDM-HS73P_S.jpg

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Rod Rod said:

Sony has some nice LCD monitors (SDM-HS line) with white frames (they also came in black and dark gray). They have VGA inputs.

SDM-HS73P_S.jpg

i have one of them , but make sure you go for the 17" cos the 15" will only do 1024 x 768 think i see them for £249 for the 17" VGA only though

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
Rod Rod said:

SDM-HS73P_S.jpg

ive got one of them too, they match the mac mini well with a glossy front and back and a silvery edging

pic of mine HERE

i plan to get a mini and may buy another of these monitors

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
N10248 said:
ive got one of them too, they match the mac mini well with a glossy front and back and a silvery edging

pic of mine HERE

i plan to get a mini and may buy another of these monitors

Very nice! I'm thinking of buying one. It would go together with the Mac mini I'm buying for my dad.

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2004
I have a simliar sony lcd.It has the surround sound built in(which i dont utilize)maybe ill get that sony monitor.thanks for the help guys.

davidwes

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004
can I use my tv instead?

Hello,
I don't have a moniter already, but can I use my tv? What would I need to buy in order to do that?
Thanks,
David

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
it all depends on how much money you are looking to spend, really. i just got a samsung 172x, myself, and i have to say that it is quite possibly one of the most gorgeous monitors i have ever seen. certainly couldn't hurt to give it a look - i think it should match the new mini pretty well.

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2004
baby duck monge said:
it all depends on how much money you are looking to spend, really. i just got a samsung 172x, myself, and i have to say that it is quite possibly one of the most gorgeous monitors i have ever seen. certainly couldn't hurt to give it a look - i think it should match the new mini pretty well.

Yep Baby duck is right.thats what i was looking at.it looks like the current apple cinema displays only cheaper.

davidwes said:
Hello,
I don't have a moniter already, but can I use my tv? What would I need to buy in order to do that?
Thanks,
David
Yes you can use it on a TV.
Televise Your Visions
You can use any TV with Mac mini as a display. Some newer HDTV models already sport a DVI connection, but you’ll need the optional S-Video/ Composite Video adapter to use Mac mini with regular TVs.

midnitevulture

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2004
How well would it work to have a 23" acd hooked up to the 1.42 mac mini? I know the apple site says that the mini supports 1920x1200, but will it be all bogged down?

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2004
It should work but why by a 23" for a mini.those monitors are better off hooked up to a g5 with a powerful video card.Although if you have it then use it.Im trying to save some money by keeping my old monitor or hooking it up to my tv.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
nyprospect said:
It should work but why by a 23" for a mini.those monitors are better off hooked up to a g5 with a powerful video card.Although if you have it then use it.Im trying to save some money by keeping my old monitor or hooking it up to my tv.

Keeping your old monitor seems to be the better way to go... using your TV might hurt your eyes before too long because of fuzzy text.

davidwes

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004
fuzzy text?

i am seriously thinking about getting this computer and using it with my tv because I don't have a monitor. You think using a tv would be a bad thing? What happens to the text on a computer screen? If you do I would be better off getting the emac, because a mac mini with a screen would be more money then the emac.
David

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
davidwes said:
i am seriously thinking about getting this computer and using it with my tv because I don't have a monitor. You think using a tv would be a bad thing? What happens to the text on a computer screen? If you do I would be better off getting the emac, because a mac mini with a screen would be more money then the emac.
David

depends on the type of tv you have, is it HD? I've spanned onto my 27 "crt tv from my powerbook and the font is illegible.

someone else could probably help you with the specifics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.