Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Now that the Macbook Air has been out a little while, what do you think of it?

• I have a new MBA and I love it!

Votes: 143 75.7%
  • I have a new MBA and I like it, but I thought it would be better.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have a new MBA and I'm not very impressed with it.

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I don't have a new MBA.

Votes: 35 18.5%

• Total voters

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Now that the Macbook Air has been out a little while, what do you think of it? Please feel free to post your reasons in the comments. I'm probably going to pick one up this week but just looking for some final confirmation. Thanks.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
After spending the last week with the macbook air I'm very impressed with it. I have the baseline 13inch and in every day use the air seems much faster then my old macbook pro 13 with 4gb of ram. I would definitely recommend this laptop to anyone who needs a ultra portable laptop with good speed.

Detlev_73

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
Roswell, GA
Got the 11.6" Macbook Air

I love it; it's perfect for what I use a laptop for. I wouldn't have a problem using it as my only computer. It travels marvelously; perfect form factor. Pretty neat model. Now I gotta get rid of the 3 month old, 13" Macbook Pro: I can't see myself selling it for less than $100 than I bought it for. The 11.6" came entirely from left left, and I read Macrumors several times a day.

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
---Update---

Wow, about one hour after the poll was started we have 18 for Love it and 0 for the other two. I guess I'll be taking a trip to the Apple store this week...

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
---Update---

Wow, about one hour after the poll was started we have 18 for Love it and 0 for the other two. I guess I'll be taking a trip to the Apple store this week...

yeah, you should get one, it's an incredible machine. this thing is cold and i don't have any issue with the screen or hinge at all.

it's a perfect machine for me. anyway, im with 11" 1.4ghz, 4gb ram and 64SSD.

r2fa3l

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2010
Texas
buy it. way faster than air 1st gen.
using mine right now :D

i run firefox, safari, itunes, photoshop, transmission, vlc. and no problems

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
i got the new 13'' yesterday, and i love it.
the form factor is just so nice :]
this machine feels barely noticeable while it on your lap.
battery life is incredible, and the flash storage makes everything start up super fast!
only remaining wants, backlit keys.

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Judging by the poll results, you should get one :)
everyone who has it loves it!

Yeah, I'm pretty shocked at the results. I understand that this is the MBA forum and most people who frequent here will be happy with the purchase, but you think there would be a few people who are a little (or a lot) disappointed. We are 45-0-0 at this point. Very impressive.

elwood58

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2010
California
I average three days a week on the road, and also carry an iPad with me. I think the combination of the two is just perfect for what I need. Most media consumption is done on the iPad, and a fair bit of email reading, along with short responses.

The MBA 11 is perfect for all of the extended writing, form filling, equipment configuring etc. I have it configured with BootCamp, as most of my equipment configuration software is Windows based.

I would not want to give up my office system, which is a MBP 15 driving three monitors, maxed out on Ram and sporting a 256 GB SSD, but the MBA 11 picks up the slack nicely while on the road. Drop Box keeps all the important stuff in sync, and I also have a Raid 5 FTP server sitting in the office that I can get to easily from the MBA or iPad.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Both new MBA's are great machines. I got the bigger one due to the extra screen real estate and my wife has the smaller one as she travels more than I do. We both run Win 7 through VMWare Fusion and MBA's handle it without any sweat. What a progress compared to the previous ones....

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
Considering purchase

I'm seriously considering an MBA to replace my 15" PowerBook (yes, that's right, some of us are still in 2003!) which weighs a ton. OK, not quite, but it sure feels like it at times. I had wanted an iPad, but I think the MBA is more practical.

Not sure about the SSD as a boot/write drive though. Has SS improved beyond the 1,000,000 writes-and-you're-dead stage?

Mactrillionaire

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
All flash memory has a limited number of write cycles; however, once the write limit is reached (it differs based on type of flash memory), the flash memory will still be readable.

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Now that the Macbook Air has been out a little while, what do you think of it? Please feel free to post your reasons in the comments. I'm probably going to pick one up this week but just looking for some final confirmation. Thanks.

I got the MBA to replace my 15" MBP because of it's lightweight profile. Since I travel frequently for work, weight has become a major factor for me. I opted for the 2.13 GHz/256GB/4GB RAM model and have been quite pleased with it's performance so far. At home I have the Mac Pro Quad 3.0GHz so it's easy for me to give my MBP to my daughter...:D

I primarily use my MBA for travel reports, Excel spreadsheets, Internet and email. For those of you with the first gen MBP, I recommend this MBA. It's an awesome travel laptop!

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I like my 13" MBA enough that I'm seriously considering selling my 15" i7 Hi-Res MBP and buying an iMac instead. There is only one thing I can't do with the MBA that I can with my MBP and that's do any kind of intensive rendering on-site with my clients. The video clips we render in the field are very short (30 seconds or less) but a big part of our sales process as it gives us the ability to show the client the "before" and "after" of our suggested work effort....sort of a real-world preview of the money we are asking them to spend with us.

On my 15" I can do a 30 second video render in about 10 minutes. That was a HUGE improvement over my older non-unibody MBP where it would take about 30 minutes to render 30 seconds' worth of video and at a lower resolution.

On my MBA, it takes about 45 minutes to do this same render. I'm not surprised given the processor (and the fans are SCREAMING the whole time...very distracting when meeting with a client in their boardroom or office). But thats too long to make this work effectively. We are experimenting with different settings to get the speed down but as of right now this is the ONLY reason to still carry my MBP on certain business trips.

Our go-forward solution is more than likely to do all the rendering in the cloud by uploading the content we need rendered to our servers, process them VERY quickly with our hardware back home, then stream the video to the client to show them the "after" and/or download it and display. Right now that's coming in around 15 minutes for both sides of the equation (upload/processing/stream back or download). The upload can happen without tying up anything else so to the customer its back to 10 minutes or less.

Time will tell but if my 13" MBA continues to perform as it does, I can easily see moving to an iMac from my MBP. My MBP will be my "desktop replacement" from here on out otherwise.

Mac Composer

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
I bought the ultimate 13" Air for my wife. She loves it. She starts using it at 8 AM each day, up to 10:30 each night. It performs flawlessly. Web browsing, email, Word, Light Photoshop work and Freeway Pro. (Web Creation software)

I run a MBP 15" i7, w/8 mg RAM. - Only because I run Pro Tools for audio. If I didn't need this for audio, I'd get an AIr too.

One of the best purchases we've ever made.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Yeah it's amazing. I can't believe the boot up and wake speeds. It makes my 15" 2008 unibody seem as slow as my old Dell Inspiron did when I went to mac in 2007. I know the SSD is largely responsible for this but damn, I also can't believe the lightness and quality of the screen. It literally feels like a toy in my hand - a powerful and useful toy.

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
All flash memory has a limited number of write cycles; however, once the write limit is reached (it differs based on type of flash memory), the flash memory will still be readable.
OK, so at least your data isn't hosed! But given that all email and web surfing will write to disk I'm still left wondering how long these things will last. Probably long enough to the next upgrade. :D

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
OK, so at least your data isn't hosed! But given that all email and web surfing will write to disk I'm still left wondering how long these things will last. Probably long enough to the next upgrade. :D

i think it's gonna be long enough until even your mba is in the hand of the fifth-hand buyer. lol

SamTheeGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
United Kingdom
Where do i start, i say its a great mobile light machine. I got the 13" model and typing with it has been a pleasure.

I can get connected on the go with my pre paid internet usb stick which is awesome. ( though i wish it had 3G )

Great battery life ( hoping for more in the future )

Really crisp LED display with high resolution ( 13.3" model )

So yea my conclusion that it beats any mobile laptop in the market or if you want to compare it to the netbooks which i think the MBA Pwn it in every way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.