PDA

View Full Version : battery life on 13"

littledude8209
Nov 7, 2010, 08:17 PM
hey guys!

i absolutley love my new macbook air, but i am a little worried about the battery life on it...

i went through a few times of going through the battery completely and letting it charge completely, and now im really seeing how "good" the battery on it is.

so far, it's at 58%, and it's only been on for 1 hour and 20 minutes.... i've been surfing the internet, and listening to music, along with video chatting for a while too. is this normal?

ReallyBigFeet
Nov 7, 2010, 08:19 PM
Doesn't sound normal but Skype webcam chatting is a battery eater for sure.

littledude8209
Nov 7, 2010, 08:25 PM
Doesn't sound normal but Skype webcam chatting is a battery eater for sure.

using aim. is it really though? i didn't realize i guess o.O

i guess i will just try charging it up and "testing" it tomorrow :P

jamespa66
Nov 7, 2010, 09:49 PM
I have noticed battery life varies huge on my MBA depending on what I'm doing. Just basic web surfing and email I can get out to 10 hrs with it.
Web with lots of Flash and video chat can shorten it down to 1hr 30mins.

Poochi
Nov 7, 2010, 09:54 PM
I get 7 to 10 hours of wifi surfing... with FLASH DISABLED using "click-to-flash" :)

Watching flash streaming videos though, battery would not last longer than 4 hours.

I'd imagine websites with flash ads also significantly decrease your battery life.

stylinexpat
Nov 7, 2010, 10:03 PM
I get 7 to 10 hours of wifi surfing... with FLASH DISABLED using "click-to-flash" :)

Watching flash streaming videos though, battery would not last longer than 4 hours.

I'd imagine websites with flash ads also significantly decrease your battery life.

How did you add click-to-flash? Was it for Firefox or Safari?

Poochi
Nov 7, 2010, 10:06 PM
How did you add click-to-flash? Was it for Firefox or Safari?

google "click to flash".

I use Safari.

Yakob
Nov 7, 2010, 10:06 PM
Click to flash is a plug in for safari... works great ;)

http://clicktoflash.com/

littledude8209
Nov 7, 2010, 10:24 PM
I have noticed battery life varies huge on my MBA depending on what I'm doing. Just basic web surfing and email I can get out to 10 hrs with it.
Web with lots of Flash and video chat can shorten it down to 1hr 30mins.

i have click to flash installed, and html 5 youtube/vimeo videos, which helps a ton. i guess ill just have to shy away from video chatting when im not near a charger :p

stylinexpat
Nov 8, 2010, 10:18 AM
Click to flash is a plug in for safari... works great ;)

http://clicktoflash.com/

Got it and unzipped it but after I unzipped it, it seems to have vanished:confused:

Loonytik
Nov 8, 2010, 01:16 PM
Firefox has a similar extension that works the same way as "click to flash." I've been using it the last few days and it works well.

ReallyBigFeet
Nov 8, 2010, 01:37 PM
using aim. is it really though? i didn't realize i guess o.O

i guess i will just try charging it up and "testing" it tomorrow :P

I can't speak for Aim as I don't use it, but I can tell you that with Skype webcam chats I am lucky to get 2.5-3 hours of battery use on my MBA with a complete charge. I did it last week (I never carry my charger with me as usually no need) and found myself having to conduct an impromptu Webex demonstration with a client and used Skype instead because they couldn't get Webex to work. So I was using the webcam, skype talk and screen sharing features all at once. About 2 hours into the demonstration I noticed I was sitting on less than 20% battery remaining. It shocked me.

During normal use, I get just under 8 hours of constant use each day, and that includes at least an hour of driving a projector for demonstrations. VGA output will also eat some of the battery but not like Skype. If I'm just doing typing and surfing, I can get almost 10 hours of use. But turn on webcam anything and the battery goes buh-bye.

I'd assume Aim/MSN/Yahoo video chatting to be similar.