Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Ya know... I love my DS. It's a great little device I've had since 2006... But unfortunately I don't want to carry both a DS around, AND my laptop to school.

So I've been doing research on DS emulators and it seems that none of them work even close to 100%... they skip frames, the sound is messed up, heck, even some emulators are made JUST for some of the more popular specific games... I find that ridiculous!

I never remember having much trouble with Gameboy emulators... hell in one of my MacWorld's "The Disc" back in 1997 it has a Gameboy emulator with 4 ROMs.

So why aren't DS emulators up to par? It's been 5 years.

This is for discussion about both Windows and Mac OS X emulators.

savvos

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
Having been using emulators for about a decade, my feeling is that there is a problem with consuls and handhelds becoming more and more complex with each generation, so it is harder for one or two people to write a good emulator on their own. And, the more different the consul processor architecture is from x86, the more computing power it will take to emulate it. If you look at some of the great emulators like SNES9X, they were done by very small teams or individuals. ANother example: the first PSX emulator came out in 1996 or 1997, a year or two after the PSX was released, and ran with pretty much every game. In contrast, teams of coders are still struggling to bring a PS2 emulator up to the same level of compatibility and the PS2 has been on the market for about 10 years. So in order for a modern consul to have a good emulator, there need to be a lot of people interested in making it work (although the DS is pretty popular).

Also, we run into issues on the Mac because not only do a bunch of people need to be interested in making it work, they also have to be interested in making it work on a Mac, which is a smaller platform than Windows. This has caused me to use Wine to run Windows-based emulators in OSX. If you have been looking only at DS emulators written for the Mac, you may have more success using Wine and a Windows-based emulator.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.