PDA

View Full Version : MAC G5 for $220 a good deal?

Lawhcha
Nov 7, 2010, 08:34 PM
specs

Dual 2.0 Ghz Processors
1GB DDR RAM
300GB HD
Wifi card Installed
GeForce FX 5200 Graphics card

Good deal? I am picking up tomorrow just wondered what you guys thought.

flopticalcube
Nov 7, 2010, 08:43 PM
It's ok if you need a PPC box. The graphics card is weak. It will probably eat that much in electricity each year.

Lawhcha
Nov 7, 2010, 08:47 PM
It's ok if you need a PPC box. The graphics card is weak. It will probably eat that much in electricity each year.

Don't NEED it but it would be nice to have another box. The guy was also offering an mac mini for $125 heres the specs on that.

1.42 Ghz Power PC G4 chip
256 Mb RAM
80 Gig Hard Drive
Mach OS 10.4.11 Tiger

With the mini I could turn it into a media center for my TV.

flopticalcube
Nov 7, 2010, 08:49 PM
Don't NEED it but it would be nice to have another box. The guy was also offering an mac mini for $125 heres the specs on that.

1.42 Ghz Power PC G4 chip
256 Mb RAM
80 Gig Hard Drive
Mach OS 10.4.11 Tiger

With the mini I could turn it into a media center for my TV.

Definitely less power hungry. It would need more RAM. It won't play 1080p content and will struggle with 720p.

wkw
Nov 7, 2010, 09:00 PM
dude don't spend on single dime on a g4 or g5. totally dead. save a few more pennies and get an intel mac

farmermac
Nov 7, 2010, 10:43 PM
PPC machines are great to tinker with but i wouldnt rely on one to do anything that requires grunt. Playing any sort of media that's been encoded will require some power that the first intel mac's can deliver with ease.

SkippyThorson
Nov 10, 2010, 11:42 AM
dude don't spend on single dime on a g4 or g5. totally dead. save a few more pennies and get an intel mac

This is not the way to respond. This is biased, and thoughtless. All I have are PPC Macs, and I get by just fine. I have never yet owned an Intel Mac in my life. They just work, and I see no dire need to replace something that works.

PPC Macs can be very useful if you don't need the latest and greatest hardware or software. They can be extremely useful and cost effective if you're just doing some light work and internet use.

Not to mention, I watch ram for Intel Macs sell for "pennies more" than $220 daily.

PPC machines are great to tinker with but i wouldnt rely on one to do anything that requires grunt. Playing any sort of media that's been encoded will require some power that the first intel mac's can deliver with ease.

This is a good, correct, and well thought out response. Consider this - if your needs include a lot of video play back or graphic intensive work, even the first Intel Macs beat out the last PPC Macs. If you only occasionally watch YouTube videos, and can wait for videos to load a bit, you'll be just fine on a G5, G4 or earlier. My opinion, though, is keep at or above 1.0ghz, but it's all in personal preference.

Porthos38
Nov 19, 2010, 06:25 PM
Lawhcha, My Powermac G5 2.0GHZ DP 2GB Radeon 9800 runs video great from (cbs.com, fox.com, scifi.com and hulu.com). I also use my G5 with Final Cut Studio 6, adobe CS4 and Logic 9.

Apple, Fanboys and Blizzard want everyone to go intel for some stupid reason.
Well U hardcore intel mac users cant use the think different anymore :)

Think Different

Nameci
Nov 19, 2010, 07:04 PM
This is not the way to respond. This is biased, and thoughtless. All I have are PPC Macs, and I get by just fine. I have never yet owned an Intel Mac in my life. They just work, and I see no dire need to replace something that works.

PPC Macs can be very useful if you don't need the latest and greatest hardware or software. They can be extremely useful and cost effective if you're just doing some light work and internet use.

Not to mention, I watch ram for Intel Macs sell for "pennies more" than $220 daily.

This is a good, correct, and well thought out response. Consider this - if your needs include a lot of video play back or graphic intensive work, even the first Intel Macs beat out the last PPC Macs. If you only occasionally watch YouTube videos, and can wait for videos to load a bit, you'll be just fine on a G5, G4 or earlier. My opinion, though, is keep at or above 1.0ghz, but it's all in personal preference.

Agree! PPC ain't dead yet. I love them more than the intel ones, I wish Motorola/IBM could make chips again...

mikey-mouse
Nov 23, 2010, 04:30 AM
I think that 220$ is good price for it, cause all hardware becomes cheaper, but quality also goes down. It will be work for years.