Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
with the new 2010 apple tv can you connect an external hard drive to the micro usb on it to store media such as movies and pictures

nunes013

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
that sucks, i was looking at zaggbox pro bc of the hard drive but the apple is so much better at everything accept that. even if apple didnt include a HD in it they should at least give it the ability to connect one. well hopefully it will recognize my HD connected to my airport extreme. if it does that will make me happy. :)

Tomple

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
New York, New York
that sucks, i was looking at zaggbox pro bc of the hard drive but the apple is so much better at everything accept that. even if apple didnt include a HD in it they should at least give it the ability to connect one. well hopefully it will recognize my HD connected to my airport extreme. if it does that will make me happy. :)

How about a Roku?

nunes013

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
How about a Roku?

looks pretty good. i cant tell if it comes with a HD. the description doesnt say. but if the atv can recognize my HD hooked up to airport then they will be a close match. i wanted some sort of media server that can hold all my stuff and i can access it.

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Yes...you can hookup an external HD to an AirPort Extreme thru the USB port. Plug and Play and iTunes will recognize it immediately. I have a 2TB Western Digital My Book Studio LX ($199) and it works great.

Tomple

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
New York, New York
looks pretty good. i cant tell if it comes with a HD. the description doesnt say. but if the atv can recognize my HD hooked up to airport then they will be a close match. i wanted some sort of media server that can hold all my stuff and i can access it.

Much pricier option, but deffinetly the best

a PS3

EDIT: added more info

Its what i use and its awesome, you can play media off of external drives as well as streem from your mac using MediaLink. Works awesome and having blu ray is nice too.

almost forgot

It can play games! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.