PDA

View Full Version : Why no wireless gamepad?

OSMac
Nov 8, 2010, 05:29 AM
Why no wireless gamepad for the iPad?

Sure many of the touch screen games are fun, but a wireless gamepad would open up a whole new range of games and improve many current ones as well.

Does Apple not allow them or just no one else wants one?

Zcott
Nov 8, 2010, 05:35 AM
I wouldn't buy one. Sounds like a bad idea.

Deedolito
Nov 8, 2010, 06:23 AM
One developer uses the iPod Touch / iPhone as wireless controller for the iPad afaik.

Well - at least a start :-)

Night Spring
Nov 8, 2010, 07:56 AM
Where would you put the iPad while you are holding the wireless control? At that point, you might as well play on a desktop or notebook.

sapporobaby
Nov 8, 2010, 08:11 AM
Where would you put the iPad while you are holding the wireless control? At that point, you might as well play on a desktop or notebook.

Exactly.

Dorkington
Nov 8, 2010, 09:18 AM
I'd buy an Apple approved controller in a heart beat. Most cases have some sort of stand function, the iPad for certain games is tough to hold and control for long periods of time.

Obviously such a device would be optional, not mandatory... but I'd gladly take having the option.

I jailbreak and play roms, and I wouldn't be able to play them nearly as well without the Wiimote+Classic Controller+BTStack combo.

colmaclean
Nov 8, 2010, 09:22 AM
I'd buy an Apple approved controller in a heart beat.

It would need to be a common standard, otherwise it would end up like the old ZX Spectrum days with controllers using proprietary interface APIs.

As for the people saying you might as well play on a laptop/desktop, if I'm on the move, I'd rather just carry an iPad (with case/stand) and a controller.

brucem91
Nov 8, 2010, 09:26 AM
if my memory serves, Apple released the api's to developers to make accessories for the iPhone (and now iPad probably) that can communicate with apps. My guess is that no-one has stepped up to the plate and made a controller. I am wondering how efficient it would be to use a controller with an iPad anyway, unless you already had a stand. What would be cool though is a controller sleeve for the iPhone, plugged in via dock connector.

poloponies
Nov 8, 2010, 09:45 AM
The whole concept of taking something portable and self-contained and encumbering it with external controllers and devices is counter-intuitive. Sure, you can come up with all kinds of crap to make an iPad more like a (fill in blank). But then just buy (fill in blank).

Consultant
Nov 8, 2010, 09:59 AM
Gamepads are typically for old games that are not optimized for touch controls

CrAkD
Nov 8, 2010, 10:28 AM
I've been waiting and waiting and waiting. I'll be first in line when one comes out.

tekchic
Nov 8, 2010, 11:01 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38664842 is an example of clever programming, using the iPhone as the controller for the iPad game. I'd love to see more of this in the App Store, but it's a lot of work to develop.

Piggie
Nov 8, 2010, 11:02 AM
Gamepads are typically for old games that are not optimized for touch controls

What, like any 1st person perspective game?

Why would you ever want your hands/fingers over the visible screen?

Perhaps controls on the back of the iPad? ;)

poloponies
Nov 8, 2010, 01:35 PM
Why would you ever want your hands/fingers over the visible screen?

Yes, why on Earth would anyone want to touch a touchscreen?

Piggie
Nov 8, 2010, 01:46 PM
Yes, why on Earth would anyone want to touch a touchscreen?

For some games, yes, it's a part of the game and how the game works (Angry Birds)

For other games, they try and put "soft" game controllers over the top of the game, but as they are not real controls you can feel you have to sensory feedback for your fingers and can end up with your fingers/thumbs moving about.

Even you must be able to understand that on screen touch controls are superb for some games and a disaster for others.

Michael CM1
Nov 8, 2010, 01:46 PM
Sure, it sounds like a decent idea. But you will need a bunch of iOS developers to agree on a gamepad layout, and then you'll need enough games for it to be worth their while. The key advantage of a touchscreen is you're not constrained by a bunch of unchangeable buttons. I think Apple is basically letting Nintendo and Sony go for the button people and trying to court all the touchscreen people.

mrboult
Nov 8, 2010, 05:50 PM
I'm not a gamer at all really. The only console I have is a snes with one game (mariokart) and I have no desire to buy any other console.

But my iPhone and iPad have got me back into playing games every now and then (on a train or plane etc). But very few classic style games work for me with the touch controls.

I would def consider a wireless game pad for use with the iPad if one was available (if there were any good games that supported it of course).

Corax
Nov 9, 2010, 04:16 AM
It would need to be a common standard, otherwise it would end up like the old ZX Spectrum days with controllers using proprietary interface APIs.

As for the people saying you might as well play on a laptop/desktop, if I'm on the move, I'd rather just carry an iPad (with case/stand) and a controller.

MacBook Air 11" although it hasn't got the same battery life.

colmaclean
Nov 9, 2010, 04:38 AM
MacBook Air 11" although it hasn't got the same battery life.

It's not an iPad, so not an option.

The touch screen is fine for controlling most games - especially those that can have their controls adapted (like the excellent Reckless Racing)

However, for most platformers and other games that rely on pixel-perfect precision or a number of different "buttons", you can't beat the tactile controls of a gamepad.

OSMac
Nov 9, 2010, 06:21 AM
I see this possible upcoming gamepad controller for the iPhone
http://www.22moo.com.au/GameBone.html

Looks very interesting if it happens and is successful,
maybe a stand alone wireless iPad controller would not be far behind?

The very well done commodore 64 emulator greatly needs a controller.
Same with classic games like pacman etc.

The btstack wii remote setup looks interesting too for those who have modified ipad's.

If the iPod touch, iPhone and iPad had a controller Apple could own the portable gaming market?

colmaclean
Nov 9, 2010, 06:32 AM
I see this possible upcoming gamepad controller for the iPhone
http://www.22moo.com.au/GameBone.html

Shame it looks so fugly. :)

For the iPad, a standalone bluetooth controller like the Wii's Classic would work well. Analogue, feedback etc. would be nice too, but any controller will do for now!

Piggie
Nov 9, 2010, 07:16 AM
As Apple seem to be happy for you to lug around connection kits for SD cards etc, there is no reason on earth why they could not make an Apple (white) version of a Bluetooth PS3 type controller, but slightly scaled down.

If it was from Apple it would be THE standard, and that would be it.

There is nothing to stop this happening apart from Apple's will to make it.

Dorkington
Nov 11, 2010, 08:34 AM

As long as it's built in to the OS and is available for 3rd parties to use, I don't care if it's a common standard or not. It's no different than any other Apple accessory.

I'd like it to be a common standard... but if its embedded in iOS and available to use, then it's basically good enough these days with the amount of devices out there. (See Apple's proprietary dock connector being supported by... everything)

Dorkington
Nov 11, 2010, 08:35 AM
I wonder if "legit" AppStore games can support BTStack/WiiMote combo... or would Apple reject the App?

mklnk
Nov 11, 2010, 09:49 AM
The whole concept of taking something portable and self-contained and encumbering it with external controllers and devices is counter-intuitive. Sure, you can come up with all kinds of crap to make an iPad more like a (fill in blank). But then just buy (fill in blank).

But then, you can't pull the screen off of (fill in blank) and use it as an iPad.

Some people are willing to sacrifice optimization and/or efficiency in the name of modularity.

Corsair.Noir
Nov 11, 2010, 08:29 PM
Why no wireless gamepad for the iPad?

Sure many of the touch screen games are fun, but a wireless gamepad would open up a whole new range of games and improve many current ones as well.

I Completely agree and would love a wireless controller. Like you've already said it would allow for sooo many more games

anjin
Apr 22, 2011, 12:49 AM
Sorry to revive an old thread, just found this one via Google while researching the topic. I have to say, I'm surprised at the venom people are spitting at the concept of a gamepad for an iPad (or iPhones and iPod Touches for that matter) - what does it hurt to have one available? It wouldn't be required, just offered to those who would prefer to use them.

I love my iPad and my iPhone, but games that use an onscreen d-pad just annoy me. I can never keep my thumb in the right position, thus sliding off of the d-pad at the most inopportune moments! Sames like Dungeon Hunter, Heroes of Sparta, Street Fighter 4, Mortal Kombat 3, etc... they're practically unplayable to an old-school gamer like me without tactile feedback that a gamepad can offer. Even attaching an iPhone via bluetooth to act as a controller just isn't kosher for me - and I'm willing to bet that a lot of us geezers over 30 feel similarly.

I'm willing to jailbreak my iPad and use my camera connection kit in order to get a gamepad working, though mapping buttons may be a pain without Apple giving their blessing so that many games can offer button configurations legitimately. Hell, Apple could make their own gamepad so there's a universal device developers can count on and tailor their apps for...

Ah well, I've heard the WiiMote can be paired with jailbroken iOS devices for use in various emulators. I may look into that, but I'm not keen on the WiiMote and it lacks the amount of buttons one may need to play anything beyond NES generation games. Better than nothing, though.

C'mon Apple, gaming has been one of your only achilles heels, but you've made a lot of progress in that area since iPhones/iPads hit big. Gamers can net you a crap-ton of money, no reason to snub them - their money is as green as a graphic designers! :)