Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenzembo1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Youngstown, OH
I've decided to get a spec'd out 11" MacBook Air to replace my 13" MBP. I'll be using it alongside my 24" cinema display so that I can still enjoy a desktop experience when watching movies or editing photos where I need the larger screen real estate. Everyone is talking about how they miss the illuminated keyboard, but for me, the biggest loss (going from a MBP to MBA) is the ability to access Front Row conveniently with the Apple Remote.

It probably sounds silly to most, but having the infrared sensor on the Pro and using Front Row to manage DVD movies, iTunes content, photos, etc. at a distance from my bedside was really a neat feature. This definitely won't keep me from purchasing the new Air, but it's a shame that technology can't be used on the Air as well.

This raises another question- what use is the Apple Remote with the MacBook Air? Should I pitch it in when I sell my Pro or can I still use it somehow in conjunction with Keynote presentations, etc?

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
To answer your last question - the Apple Remote will not work with the 2010 MBA. (Unless you buy one of those USB Mira IR receivers - which seems to defeat the point of Apple's svelte little machine. ;)

You also can't use Apple's "remote" application to control Front Row (AFAIK). You have to use an application like RowMote for the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch for that.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
What he said. You just need an iOS device, one of the numerous App Store apps, and WiFi.

Kenzembo1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Youngstown, OH
That's true, I do have an iPhone with the Remote application but the wifi connection is pretty weak at school (you would think it would be better). Ha I have to turn on my wireless printer and select the default wifi option to use the application :eek:

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
If you have an ipod touch, you can use that.

This actually doesn't work very well. I run 3000 miles a year, and over the winter a lot of it is on the treadmill. I spend a lot of time watching movies.

The problem with the remote app is it has to connect to your machine every time you use it, meaning there's a delay. The other problem is, if you're using the external superdrive, it will not control a DVD. This is severely disappointing.

I'm unsure how much battery power the IR port took, but I strongly wish Apple had kept it.

Bri

Bluemeanie1976

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
This actually doesn't work very well. I run 3000 miles a year, and over the winter a lot of it is on the treadmill. I spend a lot of time watching movies.

The problem with the remote app is it has to connect to your machine every time you use it, meaning there's a delay. The other problem is, if you're using the external superdrive, it will not control a DVD. This is severely disappointing.

I'm unsure how much battery power the IR port took, but I strongly wish Apple had kept it.

Bri

Delay? I don't know about you but the delay is utterly negligible. As for the DVD, as I said, airmouse will control most apps, including dvd player.

photo.PNG by 350GT, on Flickr

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Is there any app that doesn't require wifi connection to use the iphone with a mac?

Generally you use the iPhone as a remote when you're sitting in front of your mac. And WiFi is usually available, but if not, just make a network from your Macbook.

If you're wanting to do so with Bluetooth, not possible atm since bluetooth usage is limited.

And developers don't really see people wanting to control their computers over 3G unless it's a remote desktop/VNC type application.

Kenzembo1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Youngstown, OH
I heard that it's possible to use a Wii remote with the new Air. You can connect it via Bluetooth and configure it using a free app.

Can anyone confirm this? I think there was a YouTube video posted doing this not too long ago. Also, I went to the Tech Desk at school to aid in my data transfer and the guy mentioned the Wii remote as a possible solution as well.

ohno321

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2009
Singapore
Mi-Fi?

I heard that it's possible to use a Wii remote with the new Air. You can connect it via Bluetooth and configure it using a free app.

Can anyone confirm this? I think there was a YouTube video posted doing this not too long ago. Also, I went to the Tech Desk at school to aid in my data transfer and the guy mentioned the Wii remote as a possible solution as well.

MiFi is another alternate solution to use iphone as a remote;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.