PDA

View Full Version : Is my fan broken?

krillin
Nov 8, 2010, 12:07 PM
I've spent one hour with my mba 13" (4gb ram) and I haven't heard the fan yet even though i've installed programs, watched 1080p on youtube and played some games.

The machine gets warm, not hot. I can have it in my lap w/o worrying about my balls.

Any ideas? Can I test the fan by any program?

(first mac and first laptop)

Tomple
Nov 8, 2010, 12:09 PM
use smcFanControl to do some tests

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049/smcfancontrol

bcaslis
Nov 8, 2010, 12:11 PM
I've spent one hour with my mba 13" (4gb ram) and I haven't heard the fan yet even though i've installed programs, watched 1080p on youtube and played some games.

The machine gets warm, not hot. I can have it in my lap w/o worrying about my balls.

Any ideas? Can I test the fan by any program?

(first mac and first laptop)

It's probably fine. I use the iStat Pro widget to monitor fan speed and temperatures. You can get it here:

http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatpro/

By default you should see the fan at 2000 rpm. If you are seeing this or above everything is fine.

aristobrat
Nov 8, 2010, 12:16 PM
It's probably fine. I use the iStat Pro widget to monitor fan speed and temperatures.
That's what I use too! I can't hear my fan at all, but iStat Pro shows it spinning away. :)

Tomple
Nov 8, 2010, 12:17 PM
iStat is great but so is smcFanControl as it lets you actually alter the speed

aristobrat
Nov 8, 2010, 12:18 PM
Yeah, if you're looking to alter the fan, smcFanControl is the way to go.

Tomple
Nov 8, 2010, 12:21 PM
off topic

do you use iStat menu bar app or widget

also off topic, im scared that installing iStat will cause a spike CPU usage
is this stupid?

bcaslis
Nov 8, 2010, 12:26 PM
off topic

do you use iStat menu bar app or widget

also off topic, im scared that installing iStat will cause a spike CPU usage
is this stupid?

Widget not app. No CPU spike. I actually view iStat as much safer than smcFanControl. It's just monitoring not changing. No CPU usage if Dashboard isn't showing.

Tomple
Nov 8, 2010, 12:31 PM
Widget not app. No CPU spike. I actually view iStat as much safer than smcFanControl. It's just monitoring not changing. No CPU usage if Dashboard isn't showing.

Great!

krillin
Nov 8, 2010, 12:59 PM
2000 RPM - I'm glad it's not broken. :)