Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crisito

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I have the new 13 inch Air with 4GB but I'm going to switch to 11 inch. The only thing is, I don't know whether I need 2GB or 4GB. Any time I look at the Activity Monitor it says I'm using over 2GB of RAM, even though I'm not doing that much the MacBook.

Screen_shot_2010-11-08_at_21_47_51.png

Am I correct in saying that only the 'Active' memory is actually being used?

Though even 1.5GB being used seems like a lot for the few things that I have running.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Can't see all the programs running but yes you are using over 2GB. Assuming you want to run the same number on the 11" then you should get 4GB.

shootingrubber

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2009
I have the new 13 inch Air with 4GB but I'm going to switch to 11 inch. The only thing is, I don't know whether I need 2GB or 4GB. Any time I look at the Activity Monitor it says I'm using over 2GB of RAM, even though I'm not doing that much the MacBook.

Though even 1.5GB being used seems like a lot for the few things that I have running.

Get 4GB of RAM.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
what are those chrome renderer? id rather use safari. those are killing your system. use safari and install clicktoflash

crisito

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Not sure what they are - they just open when Chrome is open. I can see now that Chrome uses over 500mb more than Safari.

I'd like to use Safari but I hate the fact that there are two bars, instead of an omnibar like on Chrome, it improves productivity a lot.

crisito

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I've just done a reboot, and opened all the usual apps that I use, but opened Safari instead of Chrome and now I'm only using 1.4GB.

Looks like I can stick with 2GB afterall.

I just wish Safari had a Omnibar. :(

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Safari+ Mac OS X + ClicktoFlash = The Way Forward :D

Personally, I have nothing against Flash. They look great
in those customized corporate websites promoting
their brand or product. You know you are expecting elegant
slideshow, and tasteful music when you click in. But I have a
problem with those super-loud, tacky Ads that come bursting
into my private sanctuary without warning in every blog or
free website I visit. ClickToFlash has come to my aid.
If you want longer battery life while surfing outside your home,
disable Flash completely with this plug-in.

Last edited:

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
what are those chrome renderer? id rather use safari. those are killing your system. use safari and install clicktoflash

safari is an extreme memory hog too, like most all browsers.
had it use over 3.2GB before.

Not sure what they are - they just open when Chrome is open.

chrome opens a new rendering engine every time you open a new tab, the advantage to this is that if one page crashes (Flash) then it doesnt crash the whole browser.

NotAHater

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
I've just done a reboot, and opened all the usual apps that I use, but opened Safari instead of Chrome and now I'm only using 1.4GB.

:) Glad to hear it! You have to understand that Google and Apple are market competitors, and Google HATES Apple. They want to offer you a product that *looks* good, but it's gonna make your Mac run poorly. And when it does where else can you look? Perhaps at an Android powered device??

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT

man, you wont regret the 11" its like ipad with keys. if you fold its super portable.

i have the 2GB only 128ssd and i ran a lot of stuff but there is no slowing down!

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area

I wouldn't think so, 1.4GB is only to load your config to start with.
But do yourself a favor - watch Activity Monitor (while not touching Chrome) - you'll see it quickly creep past 2GB

And remember, you don't have 2 or 4 gigs, you stuck with 1.75 or 3.75GB respectively.

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast

I never had that much memory used with my 13" that had 2GB of memory. On my 11" with 4gb I'm using 1.33 right now

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
BTW, it would be interesting to see what 2GB configs show under Memory tab in System Profiler - does it show like you have two banks of RAM?
because if it shows only one, you get one channel only - and it being shared with 320M - sucks big time!

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
You are using 2.58 GB. But you are not really using that much. The OS doesn't free up memory until it needs to, so it just keeps pages that were recently used but are no longer being used in memory... just in case.

Now do you need 2 or 4 GB? Harder to answer. A light user only needs 2 GB. I would get 4 GB as that is the standard size machines come with today. Programs being written today assume you have 4 GB.

crisito

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
BTW, it would be interesting to see what 2GB configs show under Memory tab in System Profiler - does it show like you have two banks of RAM?
because if it shows only one, you get one channel only - and it being shared with 320M - sucks big time!

Yes it shows 2.

crisito

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I'll keep an eye on Activity Monitor up until I get the 11-inch then I'll decide what I need, 2 or 4GB.

I think it will stay under 1.75 using Safari.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004

Would you really sacrifice your day-to-day usability for the ~$100 or less that it costs to upgrade to 4GB of RAM? Over two years of owning the machine, you'll be spending less than 14 cents a day. Is that worth it?

And as other posters have said - wait till you start watching videos in Safari, and multiple tabs, etc... You'll see that memory creep back up.

The big thing to watch for is "Page Outs" - that's the RAM writing to the SSD (or HD in many other laptops) 'cause it's full. You have no page-outs in your system right now... but go down to 2GB and you will. I certainly did on the 11" I had before I returned it. And that was with minimal programs (Word, Final Draft, Safari)

justaregularjoe

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2008
:) Glad to hear it! You have to understand that Google and Apple are market competitors, and Google HATES Apple. They want to offer you a product that *looks* good, but it's gonna make your Mac run poorly. And when it does where else can you look? Perhaps at an Android powered device??

I struggle to find the logic in this post.

If a company wanted to promote themselves to users of another system, why would they create software such that use of it causes poor performance? Especially when they do not actually have a system on which it runs particularly fast to turn to?

Example: iTunes. Apple made iTunes available for PCs and streamlined the experience as much as possible so that Windows users could see what they were missing out on. Now what if Apple had made iTunes nice and fast for Mac OS, but then made it nice looking but slow as molasses on Windows? Windows users would not only not buy iPods, they would avoid Mac OS like the plague, thinking that it as slow as software.

:( Do I have a point here, or am I just insane?

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
I'll keep an eye on Activity Monitor up until I get the 11-inch then I'll decide what I need, 2 or 4GB.

I think it will stay under 1.75 using Safari.

The big thing to watch for is "Page Outs" - that's the RAM writing to the SSD (or HD in many other laptops) 'cause it's full. You have no page-outs in your system right now... but go down to 2GB and you will. I certainly did on the 11" I had before I returned it. And that was with minimal programs (Word, Final Draft, Safari)

I have a hunch (didn't had time to research thoroughly) - that repeated page-outs will stress SSD quite hard.
I assume it would make few gigs (I have 3.86GB over 3 days - even having 4GB RAM) difference every day or unnecessary stress on SSD.

It's true that page-ins happen times faster on SSD, almost to a point of no perceptible difference, but you pay with page-outs that eat away at your SSD for that.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
I have a hunch (didn't had time to research thoroughly) - that repeated page-outs will stress SSD quite hard.
I assume it would make few gigs (I have 3.86GB over 3 days - even having 4GB RAM) difference every day or unnecessary stress on SSD.

It's true that page-ins happen times faster on SSD, almost to a point of no perceptible difference, but you pay with page-outs that eat away at your SSD for that.

This makes sense to me. But are ANY page-outs bad, or is there a ratio of Pageins to Pageouts one needs to look at? On my Macbook, my ratio is about 4:1. So it makes me think 2GB RAM may be enough. Or is that not true?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.