Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Just curious to see how the response is so far. I personally don't think I could handle not having a screen on an iPod; No way to see the time, contacts, calender, etc.

Also, I realized there won't be any accesories such as an iTrip for the iPod shuffle because there is no remote port. Unless they figure out how to draw the power from the headphone jack.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I don't think headphone jacks have enough "power" to do anything useful. I'm not even sure they are powered.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
wwooden said:
Just curious to see how the response is so far. I personally don't think I could handle not having a screen on an iPod; No way to see the time, contacts, calender, etc.

Also, I realized there won't be any accesories such as an iTrip for the iPod shuffle because there is no remote port. Unless they figure out how to draw the power from the headphone jack.

i havent ordered one yet as i havent got around to it, but the things you are stating that it doesnt have are not there for a reason - apple wanted to bring a cheap, music to the masses product. those things only a few people need (less than half of ipod users i would guess). also to keep it cheap these things had to go.

i think i will get one to use of the gym as i generally only listen to a few of my favourite songs so should b good for that.

SDLSteve

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2004
Florida
I ordered one last night. I have had three Ipods including the new 20 gig click wheel and I can't run with any of them without them freezing up unless I hold it in my hand. I finally bought a Rio Forge this fall which has worked perfectly but its no Apple. Personally, I don't see any reason to have the screen for the shuffle as when I run I don't see it anyway. I got it from macmall for $144 with free UPS ground shipping. Apple is offering it for $139 with the education discount (I'm a teacher) but they charge tax so I'm saving $5.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm getting one as soon as they hit the stores (I pay no tax if I drive 15 minutes into NH, and I'm there often anyway).

Why?

(1) I want a spare set of headphones anyway.

(2) My 4-year-old snapped off my USB flash drive when it was in my PowerMac a few weeks ago.

Therefore, I'll get the 512MB one, since it's not a whole lot more than a USB drive plus headphones, and it's more fun.

niter

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2003
I am pretty sure I am going to get my husband one for his birthday. He uses the iPod he got me periodically, but not the way I use it. For him, the only use is a random run mix. Essentially, the perfect use for the iPod. Hell, if I had more cash to blow, I would get me one for the same reason.

svejar

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2004
This was a no brainer for me. I was just looking around for one of those "USB pen"-things, and this one comes along. A friend of mine suggested another name, though: iFuc*ed Rio :)

Apple should steal the market with this one.

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
i bought one for my girl. this is what happens when I'm awake at 3am. I always start buying crap. MW expo excitement didn't help either. but anyway, yeah i forgot about using it as a pen device, that would be useful for her now in college.

joeswinehart

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
central oregon usa
on its way!

Well, it will be here after it ships in 1-2 weeks.
I dropped enough hints over the last 12 hours and my wife bought one as a valentine's gift before I bought it myself. Now all I need is a spring thaw so I can go play! 'Spose I can take it x-c skiing, though.
Mostly looking forward to cycling with the thing...
:)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I almost bought one from the online Apple Store. I added it to my basket, created an account, then discovered that they only accept credit cards (I don't have one). I'll probably buy from a reseller later today.

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
I think it's more likely accessories will plug in via USB rather than headphone.
Edit: Oh, and I just ordered a 512-er! It'll be my school/workout oriented 'Pod, and I'll save my other for trips, etc. It's amazing how well Apple can sell a concept like a screenless iPod.

Jdm_rsx

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Honolulu, Hawaii
i have a question guys

so the 512mb and the 1gb act just like USB drives?

what about the ipod mini?

it doesnt store files like a usb driveS?

just a little confused

thanks!

im thinkin to get my mom one too....its simple to use and its small.....just nice in general...

cyanide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
YES

Yes, i ordered mine, 1Gb, which i am glad i did because they are currently gone at my local, and my friend is getting one too, and my mom wants one, and now even my un-tech girlfriend wants one. This is what i have been waiting for, too a "T" . And after this, at least 3 mac minis to xgrid. i know it sounds crazy, but its more of an "i can" than an "i must" . see ya, gotta go refresh my order page for the next two weeks. :D

cyanide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
Jdm_rsx said:
i have a question guys

so the 512mb and the 1gb act just like USB drives?

what about the ipod mini?

it doesnt store files like a usb driveS?

just a little confused

thanks!

im thinkin to get my mom one too....its simple to use and its small.....just nice in general...

you can use any ipod as a "usb drive" all of the ipods are able to store any type of file you have on your computer, and with an ipod with enough room, you can even use it as an external firewire drive to boot your system from! talk about nifty..

Jdm_rsx

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Honolulu, Hawaii
serious?
even the mini ipod can store movies or homework filees such as photoshop? powerpoint?

thanks, sorry i just want full confirmation..

would you guys recommend the 1gb or mini?

pros and cons?

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Jdm_rsx said:
serious?
even the mini ipod can store movies or homework filees such as photoshop? powerpoint?

pros and cons?

Depends the Shuffle has the 12 hour battery run time. USB 1.1 and 2.0, small size, no screen.

The mini has the storage and screen.

Its up to you.

Shuffle is a great supplement to an iPod. :)

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
My ideal set up would be a 20Gb 4th gen iPod with a iPod shuffle for the gym. But that would mean I would have to get rid of my 10Gb 2nd gen, and my Mini which I have a lot of extras for( such as an iTrip, a silicon case and armband, the dock). Oh well, I am just going to wait until they come out with the next version of the iPod photo ( direct connection from camera that can be seen imediately, cheaper, and other numerious enhancements). by that time my 10Gb won't hold all my songs so I will have a reason. :)

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
Jdm_rsx said:
serious?

pros and cons?

yea it can it works like a usb flash pen..and doubles as a mp3 player hehe

anyways im not expecting mine to ship until the 24th what about you guys?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.