Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nskowyra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
So I was messing around in terminal (mac command prompt thing). On a restart after logging out of terminal, the finder froze... after hard shut down, the computer would not start up at all. I just get a solid white light on the light near the ir receiver (the sleep light and general system light).

no boot from install cd c-pwr
no smc reset chime pwr(hold)
when i reset the pram, i get a blinking white light for about 5 sec then to solid white p-r-cmd-opt-pwr
also tried opt-cmd-pwr for *****, didn't work

on a normal pwr up, it just goes to the white light... no reaction at all from the screen. I have tried to shine a light at the screen to see if it was just the back light, but I see no response.

the hard drive and cd both spin up (its a lil hard to hear the hard drive, but im pretty sure it spins)

I used this command: defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1629
http://osxdaily.com/2010/02/03/how-to-prevent-ds_store-file-creation/

I'm kinda lost on what to do, my MB is 4 years old (got 10.6) so it is not covered by applecare. I can imagine what I did to do this...

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
That command shouldn't have affected anything, which makes me think that it's all a coincidence. It's possibly a hardware failure, and restarting is one of the things that "stresses" the hardware and can cause it to fail.

You haven't explicitly mentioned booting while holding Option. Does that do anything?

nskowyra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
it is a 4 year old computer i used heavily. i recently installed 10.6 (like 1-2 wks before).

what hardware did I break do you think? logic board maybe? any help would be killer... wouldn't mind getting a new comp thou ahah

holding opt-pwr didn't do anything btw, comp just sits there spinnng disc/HD with no screen and that white light...

Tali

macrumors member
May 20, 2010
Try to boot from the system disc (tiger or leopard) and then repair permissions and / or verify the hard disk.

MartyF81

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Chicago IL
Failure to boot after a forced hard shut down is usually because of a smoked Hard Drive. Do you have another HDD you could stick in there and try again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.