Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by The Next Web, Verizon yesterday began airing its first television commercial for the iPad since the carrier began offering the device paired with a MiFi mobile hotspot in its retail stores late last month.

Entitled "Breakaway", the ad touts the pairing of the "magic" of the iPad with Verizon's network.
Introducing iPad on Verizon. All the magic of iPad. All the nationwide power and reliability of Verizon.
Verizon offers only the Wi-Fi models of the iPad, pairing them with the carrier's MiFi 2200 mobile hotspot device to provide service on the go. The bundles are priced at essentially the same price points as the corresponding 3G-capable iPads available for AT&T's network ($629.99/$729.99/$829.99). MiFi data plans for iPad users begin at $20/month for 1 GB of data. The carrier also offers unbundled Wi-Fi iPads at the traditional prices of $499.99/$599.99/$699.99.

Article Link: Verizon Releases First iPad Commercial

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I am considering to "upgrade" my iPad with MiFi. Anyone using it? I wonder how well it works.

7o7munoz7o7

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Bay Area
I am considering to "upgrade" my iPad with MiFi. Anyone using it? I wonder how well it works.

i havent used the MiFi with an iPad, but with my MacBook Pro it works really well, I cant see any complaints with the iPad...anything is better then being on AT&T though

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Not a bad commercial at all. In my mind, I see it as showing how the Verizon network isn't congested at all and wide open for Apple traffic.

danr_97070

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2004
Earth
I've used it...

I've had the opportunity to use a friend's MiFi with my iPad. Works great! The only time it doesn't work that great is motoring down the highway where you get too far from the bigger cities and then it only gets a little slower. ...but if you're using it primarily at home or in a stationary location, awesome.

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003
People, if any of you are thinking about "upgrading" to MiFi, don't get yourself stuck in a 2-year contract with Verizon or Sprint or T-Mobile. Instead, use Virgin Broadband Mobile, which offers the EXACT SAME MiFi hardware... but with NO CONTRACT and NO MONTHLY FEES. Just pay as you go for unlimited Internet. And they use the Sprint network, which is completely reliable almost everywhere in America.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

It's in the mail, that's for sure. The iPhone floodgates are about to open.

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008

I do. It's awesome. I traded in my cell phone for the MiFi 2200.

I have my MiFi turned ON all day and night :)

Here are all my devices that I use with my MiFi everyday.
1. Macbook of course
2. iPod touch
3. Skype on iPod touch replaced my cell phone
4. WiFi Phone (VOIP), works with Skype and othjer voip services
5. Sony PSP
6. Nintendo DSi
7. iPad

I have total freedom. It's awesome.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have a Sprint MiFi for my primary ISP at home. It works great for cellular service. I have it plugged into a Cradlepoint router because I wanted a more robust WiFi experience than the MiFi could deliver. But I found that the WiFi on the Cradlepoint router sucked worse than the MiFi did. So I plugged the Cradlepoint in my Airport Extreme Base Station so I can have a good WiFi in and around the house! It's a goofy setup but it works.

MiFi cellullar in --> Cradlepoint RJ45 --> AEBS WiFi --> all my devices (iMac [wired], MBP, iPhone, XBOX)

But this is not a knock against the Verizon/Sprint MiFi device. It's a great little thing for what it is and it's size. I recommend it all the time.

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
People, if any of you are thinking about "upgrading" to MiFi, don't get yourself stuck in a 2-year contract with Verizon or Sprint or T-Mobile. Instead, use Virgin Broadband Mobile, which offers the EXACT SAME MiFi hardware... but with NO CONTRACT and NO MONTHLY FEES. Just pay as you go for unlimited Internet. And they use the Sprint network, which is completely reliable almost everywhere in America.

What the F*(&(&**.

I have MiFI with Sprint, 2 year contract, and its unlimited, paying 70 per month.
Virgin offers the same device MiFi over Sprint network, no contract and its also unlimited, for $40 dollars per month.

I'm paying twice what Sprint is offering and with contract.

I'm definitely switching to Virgin!!!

autograf

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
So.....

With the Verizon plan you can use the MiFi with ANY device and it's not tied to the specific Ipad? I've used someone else's MiFi on my iPhone 4, iPad, etc and it works great. Seems to have a great range too...........across my building at work it's good at least @ 40 feet or more.

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
Can I just use my existing MiFi 2200 from Sprint and go over to Virgin?
Would that work?

mygoldens

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2005
Macbook Air instead

I had the iPad 64gig, wifi and 3g....

Then the Air came out, now I have the 11.6 Air and the iPhone 4 on tethering.

When I need access on the Air, tell bluetooth on the Air to connect.

I leave the iPhone tethering on and ready on the iPhone.:D

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
If they wanted to just obliterate AT&T and take all their customers, they'd just offer the $30/mo unlimited plan that AT&T bailed on.

...if they have the oomph to support it.

...which I'm guessing they don't.

nostradukemas

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2009
I do. It's awesome. I traded in my cell phone for the MiFi 2200.

I have my MiFi turned ON all day and night :)

Here are all my devices that I use with my MiFi everyday.
1. Macbook of course
2. iPod touch
3. Skype on iPod touch replaced my cell phone
4. WiFi Phone (VOIP), works with Skype and othjer voip services
5. Sony PSP
6. Nintendo DSi
7. iPad

I have total freedom. It's awesome.

I'm intrigued by this. How much are you paying a month? If you don't mind telling.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I tried out an iPad and a mifi and found the data service to be slower than AT&T's 3G (assuming you are in an area that has a strong consistent signal from both carriers.)

Of course, if you're in one of the many, many areas that has piss poor AT&T service the Verizon deal isn't bad.

You can still get the no contract Verizon iPad plans and pair it with an iPad 3G that you've already purchased by the way -- but you have to pay full price for the mifi. If you are dependent upon mobile data on a day to day basis it might work out. You could just use whatever carrier's data works out best for you based on where you are.

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
I'm intrigued by this. How much are you paying a month? If you don't mind telling.

$70 per month (Sprint, unlimited). I got unlimited because I was one of the first ones to signup for the plan. One year later they stopped offering unlimited.

How can virgin offer unlimited over Sprint network for $40. That does not make sense. I checked their website and its correct. They do offer it. Wow. I'm thinking of now switching.

The question is if i switch to Virgin will my bandwidth be reduced? I have a hard time believing that Sprint will provide fast bandwidth for Virgin to complete against their broadband service!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.